Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exploding Barrel
Jun 17, 2005

Lights out!
Guerilla puppet show!
Glad I found this thread, I've been having an itch lately to play an instrument again but have no idea where to start. I played the clarinet for a year in middle school and have pretty much forgotten how to read music but I can probably relearn. I did bass and banjo for a couple months each but had to stop both for various circumstances. Any advice for what I should try to pick up for this bout of musical experimentation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploding Barrel
Jun 17, 2005

Lights out!
Guerilla puppet show!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Dang bubba, can you narrow it down a bit for us? What kind of music styles are you interested in playing? What social role do you want to fill?

If you, say, like bluegrass and want to be able to go to bluegrass jam sessions at bars, jam out at music festivals, etc, you could get a mandolin.

If you want to just smoke a bowl, lay on the couch, and make some soothing and melodic sounds, get a Native American flute.

If you're into singer-songwriter stuff, and want a mellow instrument to back up your voice but something more interesting than guitar, get a concertina.

Not that any of these apply to you, but just showing that it's a pretty open-ended question. Post back and let us know what kind of music you want to do and why, maybe a little info if you want this to be a serious study or just something casual you can dick with and be sounding good on with little practice, and some idea of price so that we don't try to excite you about expensive stuff (there are tons of inexpensive instruments too).

Sorry, shouldn't type when I'm feeling tired. I'd be looking for something to just kick back and play with, not really looking for jam session with folks nor am I anything close to a singer/song writer, just kinda looking for a new hobby on a simple instrument. Price wise $100 or below is good but there's some flexability in that.

Exploding Barrel
Jun 17, 2005

Lights out!
Guerilla puppet show!
I always have wondered about playing the harmonica but it always seemed like a difficult instrument to me for some reason, so I'd love to hear your opinions on it. I'm probably going to scout the local music store for a tin whistle as it seems my best option for a gently caress around instrument as well.

Exploding Barrel
Jun 17, 2005

Lights out!
Guerilla puppet show!
Well, I picked up a Feadog whistle in D and a Hohner harmonica today. Really need to work on my breath control for the whistle or all I'm going to do is scare my cats at this rate.

Exploding Barrel
Jun 17, 2005

Lights out!
Guerilla puppet show!
If I manage to land the job I'm interviewing for soon I'm going to see about making a diddley bow with a bass string, I'm curious as to how it would sound.

Exploding Barrel
Jun 17, 2005

Lights out!
Guerilla puppet show!
I'm just an absolute tightwad when I don't have a job, any spending past keeping the car and cell phone running rarely happens due to my paranoia about poo poo happening and not having the cash to cover important things. So projects get put off, gives me time to locate a local music shop anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploding Barrel
Jun 17, 2005

Lights out!
Guerilla puppet show!
I log on for the first time in a couple years and this thread is still alive. Wonder how many from the start six years ago have kept up with it?

• Locked thread