Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Leif. posted:

The Maxis jobs are real -- I'm gonna be joining y'all next month!

Yaaay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Leif. posted:

The Maxis jobs are real -- I'm gonna be joining y'all next month!

Congratulations!

Edit: We still have a bunch of openings.
https://www.ea.com/ea-studios/maxis/careers

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 17, 2023

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Anyone have recommendations for Unreal Engine learning resources: paid or unpaid primarily focused on software engineering?
I'm aware of the official Unreal learning website.

I bought the Tom Looman course years ago and was going through that last week and I was underwhelmed.. lets just say.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

xgalaxy posted:

Anyone have recommendations for Unreal Engine learning resources: paid or unpaid primarily focused on software engineering?

I bought the Tom Looman course years ago and was going through that last week and I was underwhelmed.. lets just say.

https://ughiguessiwanttomovefromunitytounreal.com/
https://landelare.github.io/2023/01/07/cpp-speedrun.html

NeekBerm
Jun 25, 2004

Who are you calling chicken?

College Slice
Stephen Ulibarri’s courses rock, especially if you’re coming from a software engineering background. I recently went though this course after moving away from Unity and it was super useful : https://www.udemy.com/course/unreal-engine-5-the-ultimate-game-developer-course/

The course expects some OOP and C++ knowledge, but it also does a good job of reminding you of some more complex topics if you haven’t touched C++ in a while. Well worth $15.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

xgalaxy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THQImS6JyV8 FWIW This has been the most effective hands-on tutorial I've taken for general Unreal purposes; it's not really engineering focused though.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

How are you nerds doing post-layoffgeddon?

Also, how competitive are backend services jobs? I've got a bunch of API+kubernetes knowledge that seems to fit some of the JDs I've seen, just wondering how insane the applicant pipelines are

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ChickenWing posted:

Also, how competitive are backend services jobs? I've got a bunch of API+kubernetes knowledge that seems to fit some of the JDs I've seen, just wondering how insane the applicant pipelines are

i'm still employed, but trying to look at outward promotions is difficult.

every job in games is getting _a lot_ of applications, at all levels. it's pretty nutty, but if it's a senior role and your experience is a fit, it's likely you'll get a callback. just need to get into the queue early enough, and the gauntlet will have more people in it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

leper khan posted:

i'm still employed, but trying to look at outward promotions is difficult.

every job in games is getting _a lot_ of applications, at all levels. it's pretty nutty, but if it's a senior role and your experience is a fit, it's likely you'll get a callback. just need to get into the queue early enough, and the gauntlet will have more people in it.

Being a mid-level seems tough right now, but I can't imagine being a junior or trying to get into the industry right now.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Studio posted:

Being a mid-level seems tough right now, but I can't imagine being a junior or trying to get into the industry right now.

anecdotally, my fresher report has told me that most of their friends stuck around for a masters because there were no jobs. seems similar to '08

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

leper khan posted:

anecdotally, my fresher report has told me that most of their friends stuck around for a masters because there were no jobs. seems similar to '08

Oh god, hope they have a plan for their debt

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Studio posted:

Oh god, hope they have a plan for their debt

if theyre anything like my cohort, a significant number of them have the following plan: "lol"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Studio posted:

I taught at the University of Utah game masters program until recently and the last couple graduating classes have been grim.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

I’ll have a mid live services spot on a DevOps team opening as soon as paperwork makes it through recruiting if you want to talk.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Absolutely hopeless, and no feedback to be had from being an early applicant to a job I met every criteria for at a company that is half former colleagues I know. Not even an interview

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Hughlander posted:

I’ll have a mid live services spot on a DevOps team opening as soon as paperwork makes it through recruiting if you want to talk.

Caveat: I'm in Toronto with no ability to relocate, but if that's not a dealbreaker then yeah fling me a PM

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

Caveat: I'm in Toronto with no ability to relocate, but if that's not a dealbreaker then yeah fling me a PM

It's not, some more paperwork for me, but not a dealbreaker. Even have an onsite or fully remote.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

ChickenWing posted:

I luckily survived. I am 1 of 30 who are still here. Total team size was at its peak 200ish. And that's just the project I was on.
The light in this gloomy tale is that I get to be on the ground floor of a brand new project and I get to have professional hands on experience with Unreal Engine to put on my resume for later.
And if things go well maybe I'll have a really cool project to talk about in 4 years.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 16, 2024

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

I lost my game design job near the end of summer, right at the start of layoffgeddon. My job was directly linked to Embracer, and we all know how that goes.

It felt pretty weird because I would have thought it was gonna make news but amongst all of the larger announcements, they took a long time to make an official announcement about our smaller studio and then it sort of inevitably leaked on its own. I have seen it on the giant list of studios that had layoffs but I expected it to cause more of a stir than it did considering the extent of the percentage of the studio lost.

We were kind of the first wave, and we got a pretty good amount of notice that things were about to get real bad, so I started applying for stuff right away even before I actually had no job left. I got one or two automated responses and heard from a few studios for initial interviews. One seemed pretty promising and they even scheduled an interview with the lead designer but then things changed for reasons I'm still not 100 percent clear on. (they said they decided to hire from a different pool of people or something along those lines)

In the end the timing ended up working out well for me, personally, since a coworker's friend's studio was looking for someone that matched my history pretty well. I ended up coming out of it with a job that I felt was a really good fit at a higher salary. That said, there were people I worked with that are still looking so I admit I'm an anomaly and got really lucky.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey, Legal Eagles, here's a low-stakes scenario:

I operated as a contractor under an LLC in Utah for a bit, but haven't officially for 5+ years now. The LLC came up for renewall in Utah at the exact same moment I moved to Vermont and as a result the LLC expired.

-I can reinstate it in Utah, registered to my previous address, then I can try to transfer it to Vermont.
OR
-I could just let it die in Utah and register a new LLC called the same thing here in Vermont.

My question: Is there any practical difference whatsoever between the two?

Edit: I have determined that I'm just gonna let the Utah one die forever and make a cooler, hipper-yet somehow older, wiser LLC in Vermont because I am burned out on making decisions and that seems easiest. Thanks, game jobs thread! Sorry about all the chaos!

mutata fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 19, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For the record, I asked my legal team about moving my LLC from CA to PA, and there's a term for it: "domestication". Not all states support it (and I think they may be picky about where the company comes from?), but it sounded pretty straightforward if you know what to do. Just file some forms, pay a fee, and that's it.

IANAL, TINLA, but I think that as long as you don't have existing relationships with other companies through the old LLC, there's no harm in what you did. I wouldn't want to do it because Steam sends my LLC money, for example.

(Also; I'm looking forward to paying $70 every ten years for my LLC, instead of loving $800 every year!)

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
To add to what was said, make sure you transfer any assets (i.e., trademarks, copyright, etc.) to the new LLC if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

mutata posted:

Hey, Legal Eagles, here's a low-stakes scenario:

I operated as a contractor under an LLC in Utah for a bit, but haven't officially for 5+ years now. The LLC came up for renewall in Utah at the exact same moment I moved to Vermont and as a result the LLC expired.

-I can reinstate it in Utah, registered to my previous address, then I can try to transfer it to Vermont.
OR
-I could just let it die in Utah and register a new LLC called the same thing here in Vermont.

My question: Is there any practical difference whatsoever between the two?

Edit: I have determined that I'm just gonna let the Utah one die forever and make a cooler, hipper-yet somehow older, wiser LLC in Vermont because I am burned out on making decisions and that seems easiest. Thanks, game jobs thread! Sorry about all the chaos!

Practically speaking, the only difference here is showing continuity of operation. By registering a new LLC from scratch, you're also starting from scratch in terms of your formalities, contracts, and agreements, and their effective dates will not carry over the original Utah LLC"s effective dates. This is mostly relevant if you were trying to show intent-to-use in a trademark filing, as it could reset your clock; or if you had an active contract under the old LLC that wasn't written in a way where it transfers to the new Vermont LLC.