Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah plus Rivaille is the main character, and if you wanna talk about coulda-been's how about weirdo mustache general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nilbop posted:

She really wouldn't. She's perfect as a foil for everybody but reading about the amazing mass-killer prodigy girl with no emotions got old years ago.

Oh, Mikasa has very strong emotions, as was shown in this chapter. She is just more than a little broken.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nilbop posted:

She really wouldn't. She's perfect as a foil for everybody but reading about the amazing mass-killer prodigy girl with no emotions got old years ago.

Hence "almost." Even just as a supporting character, I wish she had more complex motivations, but I have read not-terrible comics about dangerous people with emotional problems fighting to protect a subordinate sibling.

But really, the comic is good enough that to ask for anything else or more seems greedy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rakugoon posted:

Yeah plus Rivaille is the main character, and if you wanna talk about coulda-been's how about weirdo mustache general.

I thought Eren was?

If anything this Manga is consistent with not following major themes. So yeah someone like Mikasa would have likely been a main character elsewhere but its nice to see here that she obviously isn't. If anything she's just a plot device for Eren's motivation and a tie to his past as well.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

gently caress this story is depressing.

Both in terms of the depressing plot and the more abstract concern of the fact that we keep getting handed mysteries, and then we are TOLD about the existence of the clues, but then we DON'T ACTUALLY GET THE CLUES.

I mean, at least Lost handed you a clue occasionally. We are getting horrendously clue-blocked.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Lost handed you a clue to a mystery you didn't know existed, and then later found out was completely pointless.

This is just us not getting answers to anything.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

This manga will end with nothing ever getting solved, and I'd be fine with that.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Every panel of Rivaille kicking rear end led to this reaction.
:ohdear: don't die don't die oh god oh god he's going to die isn't he? :ohdear::ohdear:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nasgate posted:

Every panel of Rivaille kicking rear end led to this reaction.
:ohdear: don't die don't die oh god oh god he's going to die isn't he? :ohdear::ohdear:

As time goes by and the cast of characters gets more set in stone it becomes harder for most authors to kill an important character, which is kinda of a shame since unpredictability is one of the strengths of this manga. But, I have faith in the author and I am completely sure that Rivaille will find an appropiately gruesome death (bonus points if it is not an heroic one).

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

On the other hand everyone dying all the time makes you desensitize and not care about the characters.

I know I'm already feeling it. Didn't give a crap when those squad dudes were squished by momma titan.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Nilbop posted:

On the other hand everyone dying all the time makes you desensitize and not care about the characters.

I know I'm already feeling it. Didn't give a crap when those squad dudes were squished by momma titan.

I don't even know who most of the characters are v:shobon:v Outside of Eren and whatsherface and whatshisface.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The only reason why I remember Mikasa is because its like saying "My home" in spanish. Rivaille because it sounds like rival. Everyone else is a blank face in my book.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Apart from the two main characters, I remember Rivaille because it sounds like "rival" and because he's such a hardass and looks like he doesn't have a single joy in life. Character design isn't the strength of this series though and I feel like it would have the potential to be vastly popular if the author was better at that sort of thing. But holy poo poo, his monsters are unsettling as gently caress.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I feel like it would have the potential to be vastly popular if the author was better at that sort of thing.

It's the second best selling manga in Japan right now, just below One Piece. So uh... it is vastly popular.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

It is? Holy poo poo that makes me happy.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Zorak posted:

It's the second best selling manga in Japan right now, just below One Piece. So uh... it is vastly popular.

Wow, really? drat, I had no idea. That's pretty amazing for a monthly.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Apart from the two main characters, I remember Rivaille because it sounds like "rival" and because he's such a hardass and looks like he doesn't have a single joy in life.

He really enjoys cleaning.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
If there was a video game version of this comic, it would be the PS2 Shadow of the Colossus. There's got to be some cross-inspiration there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haQSSO9G58

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

Wow, really? drat, I had no idea. That's pretty amazing for a monthly.

It has been killing tankobon sales for quite some time now. Like before this thread started.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

j4on posted:

If there was a video game version of this comic, it would be the PS2 Shadow of the Colossus. There's got to be some cross-inspiration there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haQSSO9G58

Now I'm imagining a version of SotC where the colossi are as fast or faster than your character.
Like some sadistic combination of SotC and Demon's Souls.

This is the most horrifying and awesome idea ever.

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.
So, the identity of the giant got revealed in in a pretty unexpected way. I'm guessing this is a turning point for the war part of the story, now the giants will reveal they can attack in the inner city proper.

And hell yeah, Mikasa. She was missing quite a lot from the past few chapters. Its nice to see her being reasonable and logical (like usual) about the new development.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Chapter 31

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Cbouncerrun posted:

Chapter 31

So they deduced her identity after the batttle and everything after they came back to town was all a trap? The reimprisonment, the public smearing of the scouting legion in the wake of their defeat, the movement of Eren to the capital under the implication of his execution, was all a scam to confirm their suspicion of the Female Giant's true identity?

Because if so thats kind of awesome.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

Cbouncerrun posted:

Chapter 31

I continue to be amazed at how good are these people at figuring things up. During most of this chapter I was pretty worried because I suspected that Annie was the giant, and was leading Eren into a trap.

I love the way the series is not married to its twists. The way these things usually go, either increasingly obvious clues are slowly revealed to the point that the twist is already spelled out but you are left waiting until the writer decides to recognize it "officially", or the writer keeps the mistery so close to his chest during so long that no one actually cares when it is finally revealed.

Here? The female giant is one of the trainees, is good at hand to hand combat, and resembles Annie. If you didn't figure it out during the same arc that she was introduced, then tough luck, because our characters got it on the very first chapter after it is over.

Wili fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 10, 2012

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

So they deduced her identity after the batttle and everything after they came back to town was all a trap? The reimprisonment, the public smearing of the scouting legion in the wake of their defeat, the movement of Eren to the capital under the implication of his execution, was all a scam to confirm their suspicion of the Female Giant's true identity?

Because if so thats kind of awesome.

Wili posted:

I continue to be amazed at how good are these people at figuring things up. During most of this chapter I was pretty worried because I suspected that Annie was the giant, and was leading Eren into a trap.

Assuming the first is correct, and that's what I got out of it too, those two things combined to give me more of a jolt than my morning coffee did. I love writing that can both make me feel smart for figuring out some things and yet still blindside me with revelations that I maybe could have seen, but didn't.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
I hope they set up those pipe bomb things to immobalize her because she is about to gently caress their poo poo up and I don't think the scouting legion can afford to lose another hundred people.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Sledeau posted:

And hell yeah, Mikasa. She was missing quite a lot from the past few chapters. Its nice to see her being reasonable and logical (like usual) about the new development.

"Oh, I guess I need to kill this person we were friends with" is not a reaction I would normally describe as "reasonable".

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

"Oh, I guess I need to kill this person we were friends with" is not a reaction I would normally describe as "reasonable".

It is when That person nearly wiped out the scouting legion and tried to take your brother for some undisclosed reason.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I do think it's an admirable one, but if someone instead freaked out over the situation, I wouldn't say to them "You're being unreasonable!" It's pretty freak-out-worthy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doc Hawkins posted:

I do think it's an admirable one, but if someone instead freaked out over the situation, I wouldn't say to them "You're being unreasonable!" It's pretty freak-out-worthy.

Well, if they were going to freak out they probably would have done so earlier. It's not like they went into this without knowing that Annie was the giant.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Pragmatic is probably a better word than reasonable.

My something I liked in this chapter- "If an organization only works if everyone in it is just, maybe the problem is the organization and not the people." Come to think of it there's a lot of pragmatism in this manga. That's one of the things that really set is apart from most other more emotional/idealistic manga and makes this one really something special.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

What is happening to her legs in this picture :gonk:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Gogey posted:

*snip*

What is happening to her legs in this picture :gonk:

They look normal to me. :confused:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I hope they get around to explaining how they deduced the female giant's identity. Otherwise, a pretty cool chapter.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They look normal to me. :confused:

They looked normal at first, but the perspective of the shot makes them look really wonky. Maybe it's just me?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Argas posted:

I hope they get around to explaining how they deduced the female giant's identity. Otherwise, a pretty cool chapter.

Eren fought the other giant hand to hand, then made a comment about her hand to hand combat skills. The implication I'm getting is that the moves of the other Titan had Eren thinking it was her, and then the dead guy's 3D gear confirmed it. Plus they probably got someone to confirm any time period overlap where she was missing in town while the Titan was loving up the Scouting Legion's poo poo.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Argas posted:

Without sounding sassy: They looked at the giant. Then they looked at her.

Why the poo poo did they reveal their hand? She's still in human form, loving stab her in the face why are you telling her you know stab her in the faaaaaaaace :argh:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gyges posted:

Eren fought the other giant hand to hand, then made a comment about her hand to hand combat skills. The implication I'm getting is that the moves of the other Titan had Eren thinking it was her, and then the dead guy's 3D gear confirmed it. Plus they probably got someone to confirm any time period overlap where she was missing in town while the Titan was loving up the Scouting Legion's poo poo.

Well, only the last point really turns it from speculation into proof, and would be enough justification to arrange everything. Works for me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Vincent Valentine posted:

Without sounding sassy: They looked at the giant. Then they looked at her.

Why the poo poo did they reveal their hand? She's still in human form, loving stab her in the face why are you telling her you know stab her in the faaaaaaaace :argh:

They don't want to kill her. Killing her wouldn't get them any answers as to who she is and what her goals are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Argas posted:

They showed it, Armin put the pieces together when he, Jean and Ryner were fighting by yelling something only the cadets could know which shocked her. He became suspicious beforehand after she spared his life and apparently said his name.