Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Genocyber posted:

Well it's not like they can do much about it. The power and memories only pass to one person in a generation, said person has titan and mind wiping powers, so good luck forcing it out of them, and apparently the knowledge is such that all the previous bearers have chosen to not reveal it.

It's probably that people developed nukes or something, and had to be population-capped and so they wouldn't develop that far again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's probably that people developed nukes or something, and had to be population-capped and so they wouldn't develop that far again.

That's a possibility. But this

makes me think that titans are for something other than population control. I believe what may be throwing Hange off is that eating was not intended to be the function of titans, they eat humans to return to their previous state. We still haven't learned what their real purpose is yet, but there are titans in the walls who don't eat at all. And shifters/abilities seems counter-intuitive to a system trying to eliminate the threat of destruction by nukes, they can become superweapons in the wrong hands.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 30, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bertholdt is not brave because he's responsible for Eren's mom's death.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I hope hange dying means sasha makes it out of this alive

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Whatever the situation is with the Titan infiltrators, I'm pretty sure that they aren't in the position of being fully responsible for their actions. Reiner was nuttier than a Payday bar and Bert seemed to constantly teeter on the edge of an anxiety attack.

I mean, whoever sent them may have legitimate grievances with the society inside the walls, but they're clearly not noble freedom fighters raging against the corrupt totalitarian regime because they sent a pair (trio?) of mentally verklempt children who could barely keep their heads on straight to do their dirty work.

Actually, thinking about the impression the big hairy ape and B&R give off, we might be looking at a setup for a comparison between the corruption in "civilized society" vs the degradation and savagery and unpleasantness of a straight up survival-of-the-fittest biggest dick calls the shots anarchy.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

I'm pretty sure that they aren't in the position of being fully responsible for their actions.

They pretty much say none of them understood the magnitude of what they were really doing. They were literal children when they started the attack. The fact they "Can't go back" (as in, it's not allowed) without succeeding in their mission, and their constant fear of failure suggests their leadership is very much in the Darth Vader school of punishment.

Hange got hit in the shoulder. Armin is right there with her. She's fine. We may as well start bracing ourselves for Sasha's death. Her role in the story is done. She doesn't have anywhere else to go at this point. She's a glorified background scout with a name and speaking lines. If anyone is going to die here it's gonna be her or Jean.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 8, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 30, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Hange got hit in the shoulder. Armin is right there with her. She's fine. We may as well start bracing ourselves for Sasha's death. Her role in the story is done. She doesn't have anywhere else to go at this point. She's a glorified background scout with a name and speaking lines. If anyone is going to die here it's gonna be her or Jean.

How did you miss the part where she got smashed against a stone pillar?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Please no, take Mikasa instead.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Somehow I remember Ymir saying something that gave me the impression that Reiner's group was being blackmailed but I can't seem to find that bit anymore. Whatever they're doing, Bertolt seems to think it's necessary, going off of chapter 48. All of the factions involved in the story are probably morally grey to some extent.

So, Frieda's titan isn't a female-type before she eats her uncle. Seems like this chapter is suggesting that a person's mindless titan body and their shifter titan body are different. Titan-Frieda's light hair is still baffling. And why didn't Ymir's titan change when she became a shifter like Eren's and Frieda's did?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Please no, take Mikasa instead.

Mikasa still has plenty of potential for development. Levi would be the best choice since his character is going nowhere interesting and it would up the stakes but it'll never happen. Sasha's solo chapter was fantastic but her character arc is concluded, it'll be a miracle if she survives the whole story.

None of that matters though, as long as touchstone character Connie survives another chapter.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 8, 2014

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I really doubt Levi or Mikasa are going anywhere because they are the Thor and Hulk of the Survey Corps Avengers. They might not make for interesting characterization or plot, but without them everyone else would die (especially Eren!), and the action scenes would be way more boring.

Speaking of which I am positively drooling at the idea of seeing this episode animated

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

I really doubt Levi or Mikasa are going anywhere because they are the Thor and Hulk of the Survey Corps Avengers. They might not make for interesting characterization or plot, but without them everyone else would die (especially Eren!), and the action scenes would be way more boring.

Speaking of which I am positively drooling at the idea of seeing this episode animated

How on earth was anything everyone else did boring?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everyone in the Survey Corps had the murder faces on this chapter and they were wonderful.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Man when RBA found out Eren had this so called "power" they must've poo poo their pants.

Also maybe it's time to finally visit that basement...

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 8, 2014

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Please survive Hange and make plans for the future.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Calling it now, Connie will live just so he can be titan-ified by Curious George

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Jean and Connie are so going to have PTSD about this poo poo.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I doubt Hanji is in real danger, she's pretty important as far as research and explanation goes. She's likely get a much more dramatic death.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

RatHat posted:

I had to go back, and look at it a second time after reading this. While it's clear that's what happened, Isayama isn't the best artist so sometimes it can be hard to tell.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

They pretty much say none of them understood the magnitude of what they were really doing. They were literal children when they started the attack. The fact they "Can't go back" (as in, it's not allowed) without succeeding in their mission, and their constant fear of failure suggests their leadership is very much in the Darth Vader school of punishment.

You spelled out "Connie" wrong.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's come to my attention this thread is really bad at actually calling character deaths.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

We may as well start bracing ourselves for Sasha's death. Her role in the story is done. She doesn't have anywhere else to go at this point. She's a glorified background scout with a name and speaking lines. If anyone is going to die here it's gonna be her or Jean.

This is the most misplaced assumption ever, because it is built on the belief she hasn't been that since the series started. She's barely been around compared to more major characters even prior to where her original death was meant to be and she did far more in this chapter than she did in the past where she was relegated to saving people or looking terrified. Jean is also a silly assumption because he actually has more relevance due to his clashing feelings from Armin and his reluctance to kill people that has been very apparent over the past few chapters.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 8, 2014

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

God drat.

We're still too in-the-dark to even guess what the hell's going on. For some reason, the ability to wipe out all titans is kept secret to the single heir, and even after Grisha stole the power he realized it had to be passed down and left untold. WHAT'S IN THAT loving BASEMENT?!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Sub Harrison posted:

WHAT'S IN THAT loving BASEMENT?!

"To you, 2000 years from now..."

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

This is the most misplaced assumption ever, because it is built on the belief she hasn't been that since the series started.

That's simply not true at all. Sasha had a small character development arc. In the battle of trost, she was something of a coward. She was terrified of the titans, and didn't want to fight them. It hindered her ability to kill one of them and wanted to run away from the battle. During her highlight chapter she overcomes that fear to save a child and gets the courage to fight. Who she is right now is a result of that. As mentioned she was originally going to die there. Since then, she's been in something of a limbo in terms of characterization. Very static. Before anyone says "B-But Mikasa!". She's right in the middle of exploring her background. Mikasa has always been going somewhere.

If a major character death happens at the end of this arc it really makes the most sense for it to be Sasha as she's not really going anywhere as a character beyond remaining comic relief (which is fine!) and would hit the audience hard enough. Of course this is just speculation. ~Anything could happen~

quote:

I didn't? If Isayama really wanted to kill her off he wouldn't have given her survivable injuries and then placed Armin there to help her. Obviously this story is extremely unpredictable but Hanji dying of internal injuries and blood loss isn't gonna happen. Maybe. Probably...

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 8, 2014

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I'm going with Levi for who's going to hit the bucket. He'll probably have an exposition with Kenny revealing the truth behind the Ackerman bloodline and their past together. Maybe he'll wound Kenny enough and have Mikasa finish Him off. Levi really serves no purpose besides being really good at killing things, but the next part of the plot probably revolves around Eren's powers anyways.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

When was Sasha originally intended to die?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nelson Mandingo posted:

That's simply not true at all. Sasha had a small character development arc. In the battle of trost, she was something of a coward. She was terrified of the titans, and didn't want to fight them.

So did loving everyone else. That was the crux of every character who wasn't Eren and Mikasa. Literally everyone was afraid to fight the titans, if you want a better example use Jean. He actually had a more significant character arc, Sasha is still a background character at that point because every single soldier defending Trost at some point or another was ready to give up on fighting the titans because they were either scared of them or were tired of it. There is literally a character who you probably don't remember, who was piss scared afraid and showed up periodically throughout the battle of Trost. It wasn't until Pixis showed up and yelled at everyone that he decided to fight them. The only thing Sasha had in terms of something unique to her was her family and that fight against the Titan with the bow and arrow, that's it and that was supposed to be where she died. She is a glorified background character with a name.

gently caress, the anime does more with her than Isayama did, because she at least had a special where she had a cook off against Jean and showed off her hunting and gathering skills that she learned from her family.

PresidentBeard posted:

VOlume 9

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

PresidentBeard posted:

Remember that incredibly badass scene where she took on a Titan with only a bow and arrow, and heroically triumphed against impossible odds?

Yeah.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sasha, Connie, Jean, any of these 3 could die. They are basically the normal guys whose role is to be together the heroes and movers and shakers of the plot.
Hange is the scientist so she has a role about how titans work, Armin is the tactician, Levi is a combat powerhouse, these three are much more "safe".

But honestly, the series have never been big on killing named non-filler characters who existed for more than three chapters. I think Hannes and Pastor Nick has been the only ones, and that isn't exactly a lot. I suppose the series is just good at creating the feeling of danger around the corner and overall lethality, the feeling you could be killed in just one wrong move.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
AoT readers have predicted nine of the last five deaths.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The deaths of Kenny's mooks don't count.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Look man, if you randomly throw a bajilion darts, at least one of them is statistically likely to hit the bull's-eye, after which you can pretend it's the only dart you ever threw.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I predict that at least one of the following characters will die: Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Jean, Sasha, Connie, Historia, Reiner, Bertoldt, Annie, Ymir, Erwin, Levi, Hange, Hitch, Marlowe, Rod, Kenny, Zackley, Pixis, Monkey Trouble.

Terper fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 8, 2014

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Oh hey, another chapter. And lots of action too! I have to admit, I'm waaaaaay less excited for this series than I was during the Armored Titan reveal, but things look like they're coming to a close. I'm still waiting for someone to die who's actually important, and chances of that are getting higher than ever. Wooooh! :toot:

I'm not sure how the First Titan's (?) power works, actually. Could be that Reiss doesn't know everything, of course. If the First Titan (or King? Or whatever) created the walls, why are there titans inside? Did he command other titans to form the walls? That array of titan powers seems a little random; regeneration, armor forming (to the point of creating walls apparently), a certain amount of mind control, memory wiping... I wonder how it's all connected. I sure hope this doesn't turn full anime, where there are various bloodlines all with their own super special power. So far, there's only the Reiss family - I wonder what makes them special... Maybe they're all descendants of the First Titan, and that's why they receive the greatest amount of power from, let's call it, the first titan's will? Really curious.

The action scene was cool, but a little ridiculous. To be honest, I'm getting tired of Levi and Misaka, to the point that I'm actively rooting for the poor mooks who have to fight against them. Literally everybody else is more interesting, because they actually seem to be in danger, and they actually have to struggle. The whole trick with the smoke bombs was nice - should look sweet animated. It looks quite ridiculous how many mooks there are, though, and even more so that none of them could hit ANY of the four people or so zooming around (with one exception, fortunately), to the point that they can even backstab them in the smoke (where they can perfectly navigate due to their protagonist powers). As I said, I'm kinda rooting for the mooks right now. These fights would be much more interesting for me if the main characters were actually in any danger. So I'm kind of glad Hanji at least got hit. Seems to early for her to die, though - I expected more to happen with her -, but I'm certainly not opposed to important people dying. I hope it's Levi, his death could actually make Mikasa a not-poo poo character.

Or Eren, no better time than this :unsmigghh:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I assume the first titan made the walls with Eren's command other titans power. He got them all to stand in a circle and use the hardening ability.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Terper posted:

e: Oh yeah, almost forgot, good job killing a human being, Jean, I'm sure your mother is proud of you.

Meh, it's all for the cause of rescuing Eren and finishing the revolution. And you know what know what they say: Can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

To be honest, I'm getting tired of Levi and Misaka, to the point that I'm actively rooting for the poor mooks who have to fight against them. Literally everybody else is more interesting, because they actually seem to be in danger, and they actually have to struggle.
Let's be fair here: the Levi vs. Kenny (and a bunch of others) fight was super intense.

I wonder if this fight would have turned out differently if Kenny was there to fight with the others? I wouldn't think so, but who knows.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This murder will live with Jean for the rest of his life and he can never look his mother in the face again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Thank goodness he won't be haunted by it for long, then!