Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

There Bias Two posted:

The gently caress?

Unfortunately that's not a joke. It's the most awkward and uncomfortable thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

teagone posted:

No, Eren almost gets raped by a single mother who asks him to be her daughter's father. Said attempted rape is interrupted by a titan attack.

:confused:

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, I mean this is why I roll my eyes at people railing at live action American adaptations of anime series, it's not like the Japanese often do a much better job and at least with Hollywood you'll get a bigger budget/better special effects and possibly a better cast. :shrug: Some of that stuff sounds really lame. At least Michael Bay might make it look cool. Here you have a Mikasa defanged in much the same way otakus might fear Hollywood handling her.

It's almost like most anime don't translate well to live action at all! It's not like anyone in this thread thought 'wow, now that the Japanese are making a live action version of AoT, it'll be so much better than any American adaptation'.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Shadow0 posted:

The characters all are waaaay different than in the manga, with "Levi" being probably the biggest change and disappointment. It's a completely different character; I don't understand how you can change the name, appearance, plot, and literally everything about a person and still claim it's supposed to be them.

This actually means that they did the (2nd???) best character a favour and prevented his name from getting dragged in the mud by the live action movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

AdjectiveNoun posted:

It's almost like most anime don't translate well to live action at all! It's not like anyone in this thread thought 'wow, now that the Japanese are making a live action version of AoT, it'll be so much better than any American adaptation'.
I mean there was your typical handwringing about Michael Bay and Hollywood (not so much "Wow, Japan'll do it great") back at some point but I'm too lazy to go back and find it. :shrug: We're on the same page though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I at no point said or implied I thought a bad live-action would be exclusive to America, stop being a poo poo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

one time baal told me that the japanese were the purest race and their culture matched by none

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did and I'm still right

Mikasa is best character

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It's a legit scene in the movie. I couldn't believe it honestly. At that point I questioned exactly what the gently caress I was watching.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Isn't there some scene where the Levi standin or whatever the gently caress that dude is supposed to be kisses Mikasa in front of Eren and then puts an apple he just ate into her mouth like he was her property and then Eren runs off

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Baal posted:

I at no point said or implied I thought a bad live-action would be exclusive to America, stop being a poo poo.
I...don't remember saying you did? Okay? :shrug: no need to bite

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
It's creepy how any character can be illustrated as a devouring titan, even in cases like Sasha's perfectly rational and tasteful hunger.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Baal posted:

Isn't there some scene where the Levi standin or whatever the gently caress that dude is supposed to be kisses Mikasa in front of Eren and then puts an apple he just ate into her mouth like he was her property and then Eren runs off

What in the gently caress? I'm clearly having a terrible nightmare about posting on SA.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Baal posted:

Yeah. something like that. The character who is supposed to be Levi walks around smug as gently caress half the time, taking bites out of an apple like Chairman Kaga would a pepper; it's the most ridiculous change. Not as bad as what they did to Mikasa though, but still pretty loving bad.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChubbyThePhat posted:

What in the gently caress? I'm clearly having a terrible nightmare about posting on SA.

You best start believing in terrible live-action adaptations.

You're in one.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Baal posted:

You're in one.

I thought I had come to peace with that, but... oh god. Just oh god :cry:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Baal posted:

You're in one.

I will spend my life striving for the Platonic anime ideal, sempai.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 30, 2017

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So according to something I read they cut out Levi because they couldn't find an excuse for why a Japanese guy would be named Levi (or Revai, as they'd pronounce it in Japanese and some loving idiot tumblr fans call him). But how is this a problem if they all have European names? Levi's even got dark hair so its less jarring to see him be a black-haired Japanese actor.

Also could you please give more detail about the Eren sexual harassment scene? I need to know details but I also really don't want to watch this movie.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Also could you please give more detail about the Eren sexual harassment scene? I need to know details but I also really don't want to watch this movie.

This is also very important to me. Not so important I'd leave this thread to find out but still please help.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Eren and Levi have an army of crazy fangirls, wouldn't be surprised if that were there for self-insert fangirl wankery.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Um, would you mind telling us what changes there were? You just say "Changes to the plot: A lot of the plot was changed."

Sorry, I am pretty spoiler-adverse, so when I had posted what I had posted, I already worried I had spoiled too much.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So according to something I read they cut out Levi because they couldn't find an excuse for why a Japanese guy would be named Levi (or Revai, as they'd pronounce it in Japanese and some loving idiot tumblr fans call him). But how is this a problem if they all have European names? Levi's even got dark hair so its less jarring to see him be a black-haired Japanese actor.

So basically, they're all spread out around this building for no good reason except so that if trouble happens, they can all get picked off one-by-one, when this couple that's been lovey-dovey for the past few scenes begin to make out and do suggestive things and say stuff like "What if someone sees us?" within visual and audial (that's a word now) range of Eren and some mystery girl I didn't bother to learn the name of. Despite appearing to be 12, she starts talking about how her kids need a dad, then suddenly grabs his hand and places it into her shirt. Then the predictable happens immediately and anyone that had ever experienced even a fleeting moment of sexual desire is punished by horror movie tropes.

I'll type up the other plot changes later, but that's that scene. There were a lot of strange changes and scenes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sounds very Battle Royale but I guess it was more Battle Royale II

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

At least Battle Royale is watchable.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Just got caught up from chapter 60 in one night.

Holy gently caress that was awesome to read all at once.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so my Japanese isn't perfect so I didn't fully understand everything said or what happened, and my girlfriend who watched it with me also doesn't seem to remember all of the details, but here are the changes I noticed (major spoilers, obviously):
Also, it's easier to go by category rather than remember everything (especially in order), so I'm doing that.

Armin: We first meet him, hustling through the overcrowded streets of the city like the opening of so many movies. Apparently in this universe, he's a repair genius or something, and some kid asks him to repair a lovely machine whose sole purpose appears to be to make a horrible blaring siren. For some reason, Armin decides to keep this rather large, clunky, dangerous device with him for the rest of the movie. For some reason, the source of his hustle is to meet Eren, I guess. He meets Mikasa, and she says Eren is at his "usual spot", which is apparently atop a giant bomb. Because why not. Later Armin, despite having just joined the military, somehow gives them their big plan of attack, which is then explained only to Eren, and via mashed potatoes. How the other troops are supposed to know what's going on, or why Armin was allowed to make such big decisions is a mystery, at least to me. He spends the rest of movie being mostly useless except to confuse me if he's Eren or not. His plan is apparently to blow up the wall *more* so that the sides fall in and cover up the hole. Brilliant.

Eren: Eren is no longer the damsel in distress we all know and love (do we?). Instead, he, like everyone else in the movie, is an rear end in a top hat. We first meet him standing atop a bomb, looking across vast fields. When he friends show up, he proceeds to kick the bomb and smile and laugh at his distressed friends, who presumably do not want to suddenly explode. He then says something about how he doesn't care if there terrible world blows up, despite never really showing us that their world is so awful. Some talking, then he hops down, and proceeds to kick it more, sand falls off it and it is revealed that the surfer lady painted on the bomb is actually surrounded by blue - this allows them to conclude oceans do exist? And thus they decide they must escape right away? Eren then spends the rest of the movie being his usual helpless self, so they didn't change. Oh, also his family is already dead during a time he "doesn't remember well" or something.

Mikasa: As far as I could tell, no longer part of Eren's non-existent family. Receives her favorite scarf not in her past, but during the course of the movie simply because she apparently doesn't know how to dress for the weather (which appears to be warm anyway). For some reason, she's wearing what appears to be a bathrobe (Japanese "fashion", I guess) and is probably the cleanest, whitest thing in the city. She spends most of the movie being quite and "mysterious". Eren gets somewhat separated from her and stuck in a church during the Great Titaning, and when Eren gets knocked away from the window, she "dies". Much later she returns, trying to be extra mysterious, and ignores Eren for some reason. Apparently a titan bit off most of her torso, and somehow she not only survived, but healed, joined the military in secret, and went on titan-killing adventures with Not-Levi. Also learned to play piano so that she could play it dramatically while their trying to be quiet in enemy territory.

Hanji: Pretty much the same; says "bakuyaku" (bomb) a lot.

Sasha: Eats potatoes with glee in every single scene she's in. Also shoots arrows.

Guy with Ax: Some person? Has inexplicable superhuman strength?

Jean: Fights with Eren a lot. Like all the time. Couldn't tell it was him unless he was fighting with Eren. May have done other things? Maybe?

Why did everyone look the same?

Corps: Presumably all the same. No mention of separate branches. "No one has seen a titan in 100 years" probably meant that the Survey Corp never left their lovely walls, and thus were not special in any way.

Wall: lovely. Not tremendously tall. Very clearly built by humans, not titans. Has broken helicopters etc on it.

Colossal Titan: Shows up and humps the wall and yell a lot; lets titans in. No big change. Eren, Misaka, etc miraculous survive despite being right next to not only the wall, but the titan. Suspiciously good timing and locationing to try to escape, huh...

Armored Titan: Only appears in the preview for the next movie.

Nazis: Walked around being mysterious, not sure what they ever did.

In-Love Couple: Tropes happen.

Mysterious Guy with Face Mask: Shows up at the end of the movie to steal Hanji's beloved bakuyaku truck. In-Love Couple girl tries to get revenge and re-steals truck to drive into a single titan.

Not-Levi: Man, this character. Not only can no one remember his name. But he's so attempted-cool, that it's awful. The first scene he appears in, he's standing in a moon-lit puddle and spins his swords he has out for no reason and sheaths them in an attempt to look badass. Then Mikasa uses her 3DMG (the first person to do so in the movie) to save everyone before running off. Apparently one of them keeps a tally of their kills on their gear too. He mostly spends the whole movie watching people die and trying to look cool and in control rather than help even in the slightest. Constantly taunts Eren and makes bizarre metaphors about animals. Also has a constant supply of apples. When Mikasa is playing piano, he suddenly walks with her into another moonbeam so he can wrap around her and share the same apple with her while staring down Eren. Mikasa just stares at him stoically. I don't know if it's supposed to insinuate that Mikasa is his like sex slave or something, but that's the feeling I got. It was weird and bizarrely sexual, and I have no idea why they were so set out to completely destroy Eren. No matter how many people are dying, he never helps out. Apparently his only goal was to being enough of an rear end in a top hat to force Eren to "fly" and master his 3DMG, but when Eren gets chomped on, he just goes "Oh well" and tries to leave. You know, while everyone else is still dying.

Titans: Apparently have babies now!
I thought the titans were fairly well-done. Mostly they were just bigger version of zombies. Female versions existed. A few of them just looked like naked people. Seemed to be the only ones enjoying the movie. And boy were they!

Other characters: Didn't exist. Not sure if Berthold or Reinard (is he the guy with the ax maybe) or Annie etc were in the movie, or anyone else. They didn't do anything if they were.

Overall plot: The only plot points that remained from the original is that the colossal titan breaks the wall, Eren joins the military; and Eren sacrifices himself to save Armin and becomes a Rage Titan, kills some titans, and then Mikasa frees him. I think the movie ended there. With them stuck in titan land. Everything else is running around trying to get the bakuyaku and then go to the wall while the titans sleep.

I think that's everything? I can add more if I remember something.
If you like gore, I'd recommend watching this. I thought the titan scenes at least were pretty okay or even good. Nothing else though.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Shadow0 posted:

Eren
Hanji
Sasha
Guy with Ax
Wall
In-Love Couple
Not-Levi

1. Eren lost his parents in some 'war', there's a preachy bit about how technology advanced so far that it brought about this war that caused the loss of a lot of people, no idea how it relates to titans but Eren likes to chill by standing on an old, unexploded bomb half-buried in the ground at some spot conveniently close to where the Colossal Titan shows up.

2. Hanji kills it the entire movie, she is probably the one character that kept me sticking through the whole movie.

3. Sasha (see above).

4. The squaddie with the axe is one of the stupidest loving things in the movie. He literally grabs a titan's arm and THROWS IT to the ground and also is strong enough to hack achille's tendons with single swings of said axe.

5. I liked what the did with the wall given the stupid change in setting. It looks pretty cool in places with the remains of guard towers and a crashed chopper and other remnants from the vague 'war' in the past.

6. In-Love Couple: Franz and Hannah are basically put in almost verbatim in terms of story. They're sweet on each other, Hannah ends up trying to revive Franz despite him missing the lower half of his body. This happens pretty early in the manga. Also I'm sure their names are changed in the movie if they were even named to begin with. But they also initiate the mildly exhibitionist intimacy that leads to Single Mom shoving Eren's hand into her shirt and asking him to be the father of her daughter. Eren is understandably :stare: about it. Then she gets yanked out by a titan and eaten.

7. Not-Levi: gently caress this guy. He even sports the cravat in his not-Levi-ness. He also very much embraces Mikasa from behind in a deliberate, creepy kind of way in front of Eren. He also shares the apple with her, yes. He's a real douchebag.

Additionally: Mikasa very much has this unexplained change from when she's last seen during the assault from the Colossal Titan and then shows up with Not-Levi all stoic and essentially not even blinking at Eren being right there despite how things happened when the two last saw one another.

And the Rogue Titan's appearance is a blade with two edges. A) It's pretty awesome watching him punch the poo poo out of the titans. B) he's clearly an actor in a suit and it just looks bad.

The initial attack of the titans has some neat moments, it's... actually gorier than I expected.

Edit: :ssh: There's a screener out there with english subtitles for those curious enough to seek it out.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 20, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wait, so they all have their usual European names, despite being Japanese and taking place in Neo-Japan or whatever?

Except for Levi because???

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
No, they mostly all have Japanese names. The guy that would be Sannes is definitely named something else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
ROBO TITAN RIPOFF

from Mega Shark VS Kolossus

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
That sounded so terrible that I went back and reread the latest chapter just to wash the taste from my mouth. It was pretty good!

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 6, 2015

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Not a lot happened this month. A good setup though.

Looks like Berthold has some kind of device used to capture Eren. I'm going to go ahead and guess they'll let him seal up the wall outer wall, then kidnap him as he emerges from his titan in a weakened state.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is 73 out yet? Crunchyroll continues to disappoint.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is 73 out yet? Crunchyroll continues to disappoint.

I read it in Kissmanga.

It's the "calm before the storm" chapter.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does sealing Wall Maria still make sense? I get that they need to go to the basement but why bother sealing the wall when the outsiders can just punch in a new hole at any time?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Morale

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah well it's gonna be a bitch to clean up the place and there's gonna be a lot of dyin' involved. But my I mean it more in the sense that at least they should try sneaking into the basement before attempting to seal the wall. Whatever is in there is going to be a game changer. Unless it's dickbutt.

e: I did the area calculations a couple of years ago and I could swear that the area of wall Maria was something like 48%, not 1/3 like they state at the beginning of the chapter. Am I remembering wrong?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 9, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

MeLKoR posted:

Does sealing Wall Maria still make sense? I get that they need to go to the basement but why bother sealing the wall when the outsiders can just punch in a new hole at any time?

They could do that only with the Armored Titan (Reiner) but who knows where the gently caress he's at. I guess the idea is that Eren might reasonably stop him with his MIND CONTROL POWERS or whatever.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

MeLKoR posted:

Yeah well it's gonna be a bitch to clean up the place and there's gonna be a lot of dyin' involved. But my I mean it more in the sense that at least they should try sneaking into the basement before attempting to seal the wall. Whatever is in there is going to be a game changer. Unless it's dickbutt.

e: I did the area calculations a couple of years ago and I could swear that the area of wall Maria was something like 48%, not 1/3 like they state at the beginning of the chapter. Am I remembering wrong?

Assuming the additional radius of each wall is the same, (eg 100, 200, 300 km), then the outer donut is 55.55% of the total area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

They could've just meant 1/3rd of the entire radius was lost