Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

change my name posted:

He can only mind control/wipe Eldians

Oh you meant he kills everyone outside of Paradis and then mind wipes them. There are Marleyans still on Paradis though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Ackermans (and shifters?) can't be wiped either. So the founding titan might not be an easy fix.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Prediction: If everyone is getting their moment of redemption then Zeke's redemption will be to convince Ymir to, at least temporarily, resist Eren.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Super Rad posted:

Prediction: If everyone is getting their moment of redemption then Zeke's redemption will be to convince Ymir to, at least temporarily, resist Eren.

Zeke was the one forcing her to do things, Erin gave her a choice and seems to want to set her free from eternal servitude.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It is kind of weird to suggest that a redemptive moment would be for the slaver to convince a freed slave to do a thing

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
If anyone's earned the right to just go apeshit it's Ymir.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Ethiser posted:

Zeke was the one forcing her to do things, Erin gave her a choice and seems to want to set her free from eternal servitude.

Sure, but it's not entirely clear the level of awareness that Ymir has about the outside world - is she actually aware that she is aiding Eren to kill literal Billions of people? Would she approve of that? Not to mention that Zeke was lying half exploded on a field when Ymir appeared out of nowhere to save his life - was she commanded to do that by someone else or was that her own will? If it was her will why would she choose to save Zeke if he represents this awful slaver to her?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Super Rad posted:

If it was her will why would she choose to save Zeke if he represents this awful slaver to her?

She needs Zeke (and his power) alive and available to Erin for him to access and free her.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Schwarzwald posted:

She needs Zeke (and his power) alive and available to Erin for him to access and free her.

That's what I had thought at first but if she's able to make choices like that on her own it really begs the question of how much of a 'slave' she really was (keep in mind that Historia still lives so Zeke wasn't Ymir's last hope or anything, if she's able to manipulate the 'real' world of her own accord there are certainly other ways she could have brought Eren/the attack titan to her). We've also seen that time doesn't appear to be linear in the paths dimension so it's entirely possible that Eren was the one who had Ymir rescue Zeke.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wasn't the whole point that it was her slave mindset that made her obey the royal family rather than anything actually binding?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Correct. She'd internalized she was a slave to the royal family.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Eren must devour all of humanity and become The Earth. Only then will he have the power to spread the Titans to the stars.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Thoren posted:

Eren must devour all of humanity and become The Earth. Only then will he have the power to spread the Titans to the stars.

With the way his titan form looks now, it's not implausible that his rib cage structure could expand to encompass the entire earth or something ridiculous like that. He kind of looks like a giant version of that spine monster that started the Titanizing.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm sure it's been posted about to death, but the leadup to and the reveal that Ymir was never actually bound to the royal family and had just internalized that she was is probably my favorite moment in the series. Seeing Zeke get completely and repeatedly blindsided in the Titan Realm was just so satisfying.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The entirety of the paths dimension section is peak AoT.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Zeke getting completely bodied at his attempts to manipulate a child (again), his attempts to play sixth-dimensional chess (again), and his need to project his own nihilistic worldview onto the rest of his people was so utterly satisfying. His total defeat is so sweet. Eren completely trounces him at his own game and leaves him a completely broken man.
Eren's takedown of Zeke related to his belief that he and Eren were perfectly alike is so good. He just crushes everything Zeke believed in.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I mean to be fair, Eren did all that to go full titan hitler

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So I finally got around to watching the 3rd season of the anime and it was pretty good.

Weird thought but does the founding titan give the power to look into the future and past instead of the attack titan? Only thinking this because the royalty in the walls would always conform to "peace is the only answer" soon as they would inherit the founding titan.

Beefstew posted:

Saw this on the subreddit, and all I have to say is: Goddammit, Isayama.

Pretty, I'll try to remember this. It fits the cyclic nature of the series to a loving T.

I also have complete confidence that the author for the end of this story because they had already released the final frame.

The words in the picture are "You are free".

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 20, 2020

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

Weird thought but does the founding titan give the power to look into the future and past instead of the attack titan? Only thinking this because the royalty in the walls would always conform to "peace is the only answer" soon as they would inherit the founding titan.

Nah. The normal process is for people who inherit the nine titans to also access memories from their predecessors, and in the case of the Founding Titan, the "ideology" passed down by the First King of the walls through this connection is akin to a form of brainwashing that its inheritors struggle against but ultimately yield to.

Basically, he used the power of the Founding Titan to ensure subsequent Kings would inherit only a chosen pick of the predecessor's memories, in addition to compelling them to follow through on his goals and also restricting their abilities. Remember the Founding Titan has literal mind control powers.

OTOH the Attack Titan is different because its inheritors can access memories not only of their predecessors, but also of their successors, which then through the power of the Founder Eren used for effect by forming a causality loop.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DaveKap posted:

Every once in a while I think that I've seen every freaky loving monster I'll ever see and then this poo poo happens:

I'm embarrassed that it took looking at it again for me to realize he's upside down and those spines are extending from the most uncomfortable looking hip bone ever.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I thought those were projectiles shooting off him for some reason

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Nothing in that picture is coherent or makes sense

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

DaveKap posted:

Every once in a while I think that I've seen every freaky loving monster I'll ever see and then this poo poo happens:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vincent Valentine posted:

Nothing in that picture is coherent or makes sense

its nicely symmetrical at least

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Kinda stopped reading the series way way back so I'm catching up via the anime now. Did this Kenny stuff (beginning of season 3) feel like a random rear end pull to anyone else?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Kingtheninja posted:

Kinda stopped reading the series way way back so I'm catching up via the anime now. Did this Kenny stuff (beginning of season 3) feel like a random rear end pull to anyone else?

What part of it, exactly?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

Not at all. Levi and Kenny being student/master may be a bit cliche, but it makes total sense for the central government to have a secret anti-human army. 99% of the central MP's job was murdering people trying to learn the secrets of the titans. And Kenny's flashback with Uri owns.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I put a few more episodes in and it definitely fits better when it spreads out more. It's just with the anime, you go from "hey there's an urban legend about a mass murderer" to "it's not a legend" to "hey look there he is" in about a minute. Just felt very forced and thrown at you with no time to react, but it felt better for me after a few more episodes.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
His "boom headshot" intro was hilarious, though.

Basically anytime Levi's underlings get greased is a great ride.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kingtheninja posted:

I put a few more episodes in and it definitely fits better when it spreads out more. It's just with the anime, you go from "hey there's an urban legend about a mass murderer" to "it's not a legend" to "hey look there he is" in about a minute. Just felt very forced and thrown at you with no time to react, but it felt better for me after a few more episodes.

He actually showed up earlier in the manga. We just did not know he was related to Levi.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Holy poo poo, just finished the anime and my brain is on fire. So many truth bombs dropped in the last three episodes! I'm a little unclear on zeke's faction. He's obviously eldian, but is he working for Marley or is he part of a mainland faction of eldian that just want coordinate for their own purposes?

Where does the Manga pick up from here? I doubt I can wait for the next season, so many questions!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Holy poo poo, just finished the anime and my brain is on fire. So many truth bombs dropped in the last three episodes! I'm a little unclear on zeke's faction. He's obviously eldian, but is he working for Marley or is he part of a mainland faction of eldian that just want coordinate for their own purposes?

Where does the Manga pick up from here? I doubt I can wait for the next season, so many questions!

The next season starts later this year, I believe in October. But if you can't wait, I think you can pick up the manga at chapter 90.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Kingtheninja posted:

Zeke, along with Reiner/Berthold/Annie/Marcel and that quadruped titan that showed up at Shiganshina, all went through Marley's child soldier training program that gets talked about in the diaries, and were selected to inherit their titan from a previous warrior.

Apparently tattling on mom and dad earned Zeke good cred with the military.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

leaks trickling in, should have the next chapter soon

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Turns out people were just tiny Titans all along

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Bit rough, but it's here: https://ww7.readsnk.com/chapter/shingeki-no-kyojin-spoilers-raw-chapter-131/

Armin x Annie canon, motherfuckers

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t see how this can’t end horribly for everyone

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Well that was bleak as gently caress

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

dude,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I feel like a kid at Christmas and all my dreams have come true. Except for AxA. I know it’s been hinted at but it’s still weird to me.