Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Damon Lindelof posted:

There's no rule saying everything in fiction has to be wrapped up perfectly. Some of the best books I've read have unclear endings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I just realized what this ending really is.

!regaey nere amayasi emijah em llik ot evah uoy emag eht niw ot:unsmigghh:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I couldn't help myself and read the leaks and now I regret doing so

- Mikasa Ackermann, Year 850

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I believe we still deserve an explanation of the following topics:

• Historia, in particular the parts of her and Eren's conversations that were hidden from us. Why did she agree to go along with Eren? This is critically important, because in part, Eren's fanatical desire to prevent Historia from being sacrificed is one of his primary motivations for doing all of this in the first place.
  • We still don't know the final memory that Eren showed Grisha that convinced him to give Eren the Titan. Again, intentionally hidden information from Isayama that is critical in explaining why a character had a sudden change of heart. At this point I've basically given up on the future time loop stuff having a consistent explanation though.
  • We still basically have no idea what Ymir has been doing in the last couple chapters, why is she randomly appearing, what her intentions with helping Eren / not helping Eren was, and what is going to happen to her.
  • I still believe we should have some idea of what's going on with the Worm, and its connection to Ymir. I was fine with leaving it how it was in 122, but since the endgame has made it important to the resolution, and it appears to have some will of its own, it needs to be resolved. Again what I fear is Reiner or someone is just going to kill it, and titan powers will go poof with a convenient last-minute macguffin.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The worm represents life as in Zeke's speech in the last chapter. Survival at all costs, drive towards reproduction, willingness to preemptively destroy anything that threatens it. It's fitting that the character that gets to stop it is the guy with a massive death wish.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I wanna know more about the dream world Mikasa and Eren shared and its relation to Mikasa's headaches which she's had throughout the whole series

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I think the best way for the final chapter to proceed is by doing some kind of narration by Eren that sheds light on his rationale, pasted over a montage of panels showing what's happening to the Scouts, Warriors, Historia, etc., which are otherwise devoid of dialogue. Just tell the rest of that stuff through visuals.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Beefstew posted:

I think the best way for the final chapter to proceed is by doing some kind of narration by Eren that sheds light on his rationale, pasted over a montage of panels showing what's happening to the Scouts, Warriors, Historia, etc., which are otherwise devoid of dialogue. Just tell the rest of that stuff through visuals.

This but it's Eren as he appeared in an earlier chapter Paths-ing through time like Dr Manhattan watching and narrating over the bits we missed and actual epilogue events, culminating in the reveal that the final panel is actual a POV shot from Eren's perspective looking at the farmer and child, saying that they are free.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Eren will be reborn as the baby.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
That ending spread!!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah Mikasa is losing it

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Eren got some 'splainin to do if this is him 'saving Mikasa and Armin' and giving Jean/Connie/Sasha 'long and happy lives'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

Eren got some 'splainin to do if this is him 'saving Mikasa and Armin' and giving Jean/Connie/Sasha 'long and happy lives'.

Not really. If you assume Titans are going to be unTitan'd then everyone but Mikasa is fine and "Mikasa gets to be her own person instead of being Eren's obsessive follower" is probably the best ending she can expect.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that didn’t really change for her but now she gets to be eternally sad about it

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Hey so wtf is going on in this panel?

It's the worm moving so hard it slams into Reiner and shatters his face. The whole left part of the panel is the body of the worm. In later panels you can see Reiner positioned like that holding the worm back.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Cant say I loved the chapter but didint hate it either

The way I see it wrapped: Eren and Ymir where working togheter to arrive at that exact moment they are now: the worm is exposed and Eren is defeated

The worm will be killed ending titans forever and finally making Ymir free. The eldians, now back to regular humans, will be regarded has the heroes who stopped the armaggedom, against their own kind, defeating big evil Eren (who let himself be defeat for this reason) and the threat of titans

Boom, cycle broken, humanity saved (well, most of it), eldians saved and free, Ymir free, world peace achieved, friends alive, Historia can have a regular baby and live a normal life. That was the future Eren saw and show to Grisha, and they both decided this was the best possible outcome for both eldians and the world

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Everyone is titan

I do hope we get a really long final chapter to explain everything. I believe in Iseyama being capable of doing it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Rhonne posted:

Eren will be reborn as the baby.

As Mikasa and Jean’s baby. The ultimate punishment.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
Why would beating the worm (lol) revert everyone to human form? This doesn't make much sense to me. The worm didn't invent the titans, it just gave Ymir access to the sand pits, the power to create a new body from the sand, and infinite time to do it. If anything killing the worm would just sever all the paths to Ymir and the sand pits so no new titan bodies or passing down shifter power.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It wouldn't make sense but you just gotta go with it I guess. Or maybe Falco bird eats the worm and becomes the new founder and does something that way

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Minion of Freya posted:

Why would beating the worm (lol) revert everyone to human form? This doesn't make much sense to me. The worm didn't invent the titans, it just gave Ymir access to the sand pits, the power to create a new body from the sand, and infinite time to do it. If anything killing the worm would just sever all the paths to Ymir and the sand pits so no new titan bodies or passing down shifter power.

Titans are already loving magic.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
One of my largest criticisms of this final arc is Isayama appears to be playing fast and loose with some of the rules surrounding titans. Stuff like Eren being in the Colossal's mouth rather than its nape (and Mikasa knowing this before seeing it), Falco transforming into a bird titan on his second attempt and maintaining his titan form for several hours after flying across a continent the size of Africa, Zeke's death stopping the Rumbling when Ymir is ostensibly free of the Royal Family mandate, and the shifters being able to transform even though Ymir (who is opposing them) is presumably constructing their bodies.

There's still a chapter left where some (preferably all) of this may be explained but it's gonna have to be a doozy of a chapter to answer the most pressing questions left and deliver an emotionally satisfying ending. I'm hoping, like the Uprising Arc, the conclusion will tie things together and these last chapters will be improved upon reread.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Its magic

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Eustace posted:

Its magic

Yes, but it makes for poor storytelling to show that magic has certain rules and then just go and ignore those rules.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Yes, but it makes for poor storytelling to show that magic has certain rules and then just go and ignore those rules.

I mean literally the entire series has gone "these are the rules of Titans.. EXCEPT WHEN THEY'RE NOT." Every rule they throw about a Titan eventually gets thrown out of the window because nobody actually understands everything about the Titans.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I dont want Isayama to midichlorian this up

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ymir is literally smiling when Eren gets beheaded, this was all their plan from the start. Like saying that Ymir and Eren could have just mind controlled their resistance away, kept up the rumbling after zeke got killed, sure they could have, but it wasnt their goal. Someone gaining an ability to fly cross continent to get to them, literally impossible without Ymir allowing it.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

In It For The Tank posted:

the shifters being able to transform even though Ymir (who is opposing them) is presumably constructing their bodies.

Hasn't this already been addressed by Eren? He explicitly told the Eldians through the path that he could easily mind control them to just let him complete the rumble but he's not gonna do that because that would be robbing them of their freedom? This would extend to allowing them to shift.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Wait if both Ymir and Eren were out of paths, and Zeke was dead, who built the Colossal Eren?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Eustace posted:

There's no rule saying everything in fiction has to be wrapped up perfectly. Some of the best books I've read have unclear endings
it'd be nice if virtually every (non canceled) manga wasn't like this though

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

A lot of those are explained tho, especially Eren being in the mouth, that's just what the Warhammer can do.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

MechaX posted:

Wait if both Ymir and Eren were out of paths, and Zeke was dead, who built the Colossal Eren?

I blame weird time shenanigans

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Marluxia posted:

Hasn't this already been addressed by Eren? He explicitly told the Eldians through the path that he could easily mind control them to just let him complete the rumble but he's not gonna do that because that would be robbing them of their freedom? This would extend to allowing them to shift.

That has been said and I don't buy it at all. He (or rather Ymir) chucked a barrage of rocks at their plane as they approached and tried to snipe them out of the air before they even got the chance to fight. How is that any better than taking way their ability to transform?

And even if Eren was being truthful here, why would Ymir go along with it when she (presumably) has to build them? "Hey Ymir, you're free to make your own choices now but also I command you to let my friends try and stop us so that you can stay trapped in the Paths for all eternity. Do you mind building two Armors, two Females, a Colossal, a custom Jaws order, and a 1,000 Cart Titans for me?"

Like, there's the extradiegetic reason, which is Isayama wanted a climactic final battle and realized that Eren and Ymir are gods who can win instantly if they wanted to. But from an in-universe perspective, I'm hoping for a better answer than what has been offered so far.

I expect we'll get one that basically just explains that everything we say was part of The Plan™, made possible by Eren's precognition. It will really just come down to Isayama's writing ability about how satisfying it ends up being. I just dread the answer being "Eren wanted to lose".

Saagonsa posted:

A lot of those are explained tho, especially Eren being in the mouth, that's just what the Warhammer can do.

If it was the Warhammer's power, why wasn't he in a protective crystal like Lara Tybur was? Why would he chose the mouth as the location rather than... basically anywhere you can imagine? How did Mikasa know he was in there?

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 7, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That has been said and I don't buy it at all. He (or rather Ymir) chucked a barrage of rocks at their plane as they approached and tried to snipe them out of the air before they even got the chance to fight. How is that any better than taking way their ability to transform?

And even if Eren was being truthful here, why would Ymir go along with it when she (presumably) has to build them? "Hey Ymir, you're free to make your own choices now but also I command you to let my friends try and stop us so that you can stay trapped in the Paths for all eternity. Do you mind building two Armors, two Females, a Colossal, a custom Jaws order, and a 1,000 Cart Titans for me?"

Like, there's the extradiegetic reason, which is Isayama wanted a climactic final battle and realized that Eren and Ymir are gods who can win instantly if they wanted to. But from an in-universe perspective, I'm hoping for a better answer than what has been offered so far.

I expect we'll get one that basically just explains that everything we say was part of The Plan™, made possible by Eren's precognition. It will really just come down to Isayama's writing ability about how satisfying it ends up being. I just dread the answer being "Eren wanted to lose".

I don't think Ymir is going to be trapped again win or lose.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Did you not read the part where Eren very explicitly said "I will not take your freedom to fight me away from you"? Like, that's kind of Eren's whole Thing.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

Did you not read the part where Eren very explicitly said "I will not take your freedom to fight me away from you"? Like, that's kind of Eren's whole Thing.

Because there appears to be a discrepancy between what Eren said and what he did (/is doing). I acknowledge that Eren said it, I just don't believe he was telling the truth. Or not the whole truth.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Because there appears to be a discrepancy between what Eren said and what he did (/is doing). I acknowledge that Eren said it, I just don't believe he was telling the truth. Or not the whole truth.

He's not going to take away their ability to fight through the use of paths, but that doesn't mean that he isn't going to fight back. I don't see how that's a discrepancy at all.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Saagonsa posted:

There is the disconnect between Eren's stated motivations, actual? motivations and actions this entire arc.

Eren apparently has the conviction to genocide the entire world and kill, by his own admission, millions of innocent people. Why? We're lead to believe by his words that it was the only way to protect Paradis and prevent Historia from being sacrificed.
And yet somehow, despite having the godlike powers of the founding titan, he allows himself to be beaten. That's the only explanation that makes sense. Except that it doesn't, because he didn't want to do the rumbling in the first place, so going thru with it halfway and stopping seems even more pointless.
Even with him willingly refusing to ensure his victory via mind control (which is strange because he definitely had no problem offering it to Historia), he still could have used basically any other titan power to prevent them from killing him. Crystallization, hiding underground, Reiner's bullshit transfer thing, or whatever. You can't seriously believe that if you stacked up the founding titan vs a couple a shifters and Ackermans, that the latter group would win quite easily.

All of this is not even mentioning the future memories part of this which makes the above make even less sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mightygerm posted:

There is the disconnect between Eren's stated motivations, actual? motivations and actions this entire arc.

Eren apparently has the conviction to genocide the entire world and kill, by his own admission, millions of innocent people. Why? We're lead to believe by his words that it was the only way to protect Paradis and prevent Historia from being sacrificed.
And yet somehow, despite having the godlike powers of the founding titan, he allows himself to be beaten. That's the only explanation that makes sense. Except that it doesn't, because he didn't want to do the rumbling in the first place, so going thru with it halfway and stopping seems even more pointless.
Even with him willingly refusing to ensure his victory via mind control (which is strange because he definitely had no problem offering it to Historia), he still could have used basically any other titan power to prevent them from killing him. Crystallization, hiding underground, Reiner's bullshit transfer thing, or whatever. You can't seriously believe that if you stacked up the founding titan vs a couple a shifters and Ackermans, that the latter group would win quite easily.

All of this is not even mentioning the future memories part of this which makes the above make even less sense.

I mean the most obvious and likely answer is "The vision of the future he saw required the Rumbling to be started and then fail to assure the outcome he wanted". The most likely answer is that them killing Eren helps temper the world's anger enough that the island doesn't get glassed.