Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

What happened to Yelena?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
It's a lot better translated, the leaks make it sound worse than it is.

Definitely not a GoT ending, but not exactly a high note to end on either.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Asuron posted:

It's a lot better translated, the leaks make it sound worse than it is.

Definitely not a GoT ending, but not exactly a high note to end on either.
Explain further

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He still kills 80% of humanity it looks like so it's not really a take-back.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Explain further

There's just more information that the leakers didn't mention or skim over that helps smooth out what's happening?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

What an incredibly disappointing ending. For a series that has been nothing short of incredible at foreshadowing, setup, and payoff that was a wet fart of an ending. I feel like Isayama was struggling between giving a good ending and a bad ending and tried to do both poorly which will satisfy nobody.

Like, the "devil of all earth" / origin of all life literally disappears between chapters. What?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm fine with what's been written, I don't love the chapter but I was expecting much worse. It seems pretty abrupt though, an epilogue chapter would do wonders.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

Explain further

Why don't you read it for yourself?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I dunno, after first read from that rougher translation, it’s the least disappointing of the disappointing endings, to me.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm fine with what's been written, I don't love the chapter but I was expecting much worse. It seems pretty abrupt though, an epilogue chapter would do wonders.

Just sorta weird for me that Historia ends up going full fash for some reason. I never really understood her keeping the Rumbling a secret. Seemed totally out of character. But apparently it wasn't because one conversation with Eren made her fine with it! I know it's supposed to be bittersweet, with Armin voicing how they might stand in peace negotiations a chance if they see the Warriors and Survey Corps together, but it just kinda throws out the last ~50 chapters of GENOCIDE IS BAD STOP THE CYCLE OF HATRED with a half-assed Code Geass, Eren's motivations being incredibly weird, and Ymir's motivation getting one creepy panel.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I just don't get why in a series all about the perpetuation of violence and how we need to end the cycle for a chance at love and happiness, we get an ending where it....keeps perpetuating. Ultimately all Eren did was wipe out most of the population and the same problems are here, they aren't even looked at as heroes which was supposed to be his plan.

Was the shot of someone holding a baby saying "you're free" even shown???? I just don't understand what happened, it's just all so tonally different than what the series has been up till about now, it almost feels like he abruptly changed the ending. Like it actually just chucks every single thing the story talked about out the window for something that doesn't match anything it had to say.

It actually feels like someone else wrote it or this is some sort of sequel hook.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
where's the better translation?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Er, was that the full chapter, or is that fan trans missing some pages? I thought the final panel was the baby being held.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

At least Rico is confirmed to be alive.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

The World Inferno posted:

Er, was that the full chapter, or is that fan trans missing some pages? I thought the final panel was the baby being held.

Nope, thats just a flashback to Grisha holding Eren. The final panel is Mikasa with the scarf and the bird flying away. .

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Asuron posted:

I just don't get why in a series all about the perpetuation of violence and how we need to end the cycle for a chance at love and happiness, we get an ending where it....keeps perpetuating. Ultimately all Eren did was wipe out most of the population and the same problems are here, they aren't even looked at as heroes which was supposed to be his plan.

Was the shot of someone holding a baby saying "you're free" even shown???? I just don't understand what happened, it's just all so tonally different than what the series has been up till about now, it almost feels like he abruptly changed the ending. Like it actually just chucks every single thing the story talked about out the window for something that doesn't match anything it had to say.

It actually feels like someone else wrote it or this is some sort of sequel hook.

i don't have an issue with the way paradis ended up, just the way it was wrapped up for various characters has me shaking my head. perpetuation of violence was inevitable with the king's decree of non-violence. it was inevitable with sterilization. it was inevitable with the rumbling. even chimps have wars, it's in our very nature. the end no moral.

the you're free panel was grisha holding baby eren (this had to have been a fakeout to drum up interest)

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Asuron posted:

Yeah they even talk about this earlier, with a line from Armin about how they had to stop the Rumbling or Paradis would just repeat all the problems of the last 2000 years with a much smaller group. So...yeah. The (more) fash Eldians are an Eren memory in the anime I think, so I don't think this is something that was decided on last minute. I came to this really late, so I never had a lot of faith in the author. Time travel in a story that isn't explicitly about time travel is stupid. Still, disappointed.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Is Gabi body slamming Falco in that one panel?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Am I missing something? Is Historia not mentioned once in the whole chapter?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Vagabong posted:

Is Gabi body slamming Falco in that one panel?

Yes. Well an overhead belly to belly suplex but yes sure looks like it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If this is the end of titans what about this would make Eren want to do any of this? He wouldn't have any Attack titan memories from after he was killed and of what happens next, which means he has no idea that anything will actually get better. This was real dumb. Was this all just one long suicide so the Mikasa could kill him and free Ymir?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

bees x1000 posted:

the linked chapter is not all the pages

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Relin posted:

i don't have an issue with the way paradis ended up, just the way it was wrapped up for various characters has me shaking my head. perpetuation of violence was inevitable with the king's decree of non-violence. it was inevitable with sterilization. it was inevitable with the rumbling. even chimps have wars, it's in our very nature. the end no moral.

the you're free panel was grisha holding baby eren (this had to have been a fakeout to drum up interest)

This would be fine if the series hadn't gone out of its way to say Eren's plan was some sort of way to stop that cycle one way or another, because of what he had seen in the future would do that and this compelled him to go for it despite the cost. One of the best lines moments in the series was Kruger talking to Grisha about how what they're doing is to stop the same history repeating.

Instead it's just he committed global genocide and it was basically all for nothing, he had no plan, he saw no future where things worked out for the better. He left a broken world behind that will repeat the same mistakes, a world where his friends are looking to be under a fascist regime going forward and nothing changed in a way which helped anyone he cared about

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

iamsosmrt posted:

Same

Is pretty much what I expected, although I was still also expecting to be proven wrong

Not terrible, not great, but predictable and it barely reveals anything new. And then it ends

also if the rumbling killed 80% of humanity and destroyed all forests the inevitable total collapse of humanity that will follow this is still probably kill a lot more so it wanst that far from totally wiping out humanity except Paradis after all

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

bees x1000 posted:

If you read the same imgur translation posted here that I have, it seems it's incomplete

edit: double post sorry

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

serious gaylord posted:

Some shoddy scanlation here: https://imgur.com/gallery/tynyWkM

My thoughts Its...not as bad as the leaks made out but ehhhhh not what it could have been.

That's not the whole chapter.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Relin posted:

the linked chapter is not all the pages

Elias_Maluco posted:

If you read the same imgur translation posted here that I have, it seems it's incomplete

Yeah that's it, it's missing a big chunk.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

In the comments on that page there's a link to https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVbqggi which does have the rest.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elias_Maluco posted:

Same

Is pretty much what I expected, although I was still also expecting to be proven wrong

Not terrible, not great, but predictable and it barely reveals anything new. And then it ends

also if the rumbling killed 80% of humanity and destroyed all forests the inevitable total collapse of humanity that will follow this is still probably kill a lot more so it wanst that far from totally wiping out humanity except Paradis after all

Should note that this did not actually kill 80% of Humanity. The Eren conversation happened in the past on the boat and was wiped from their memories. He actually did not get far enough to wipe out 80%. Mareley is broken however.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Should note that this did not actually kill 80% of Humanity. The Eren conversation happened in the past on the boat and was wiped from their memories. He actually did not get far enough to wipe out 80%. Mareley is broken however.
Ok, that makes a lot more sense to me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
But with an even worse translation.

Anyway from a glance, I actually do like this ending. But I do need to read a proper translation.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

But with an even worse translation.

Anyway from a glance, I actually do like this ending. But I do need to read a proper translation.
The hottest take to make this day but yeah, I didn't mind this too much. I really liked Lelouch's endgame in Code Geass after all.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I hope the proper translation make sure there isn't any tip toeing about the cycle of violence

ayy lmao

EREN NICE GUY

WE INCEL NOW

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

But Eren can see the future at that point, he'd know how far he got with the rumbling.

Like okay maybe he can't tell for certain but he definitely knows where he died, and therefore where his front of colossal titans reached, he knows he killed a fuckload of people.

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 8, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Eren becomes the bird so he can see how much devastation he left

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

hatty posted:

Eren becomes the bird so he can see how much devastation he left

Oh goddamn I forgot about that, there's that too. But can he see that far ahead? He would have lost his titan power by then.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
So Mikasa is just going to spend the rest of her life sitting next to Eren's grave, huh?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rhonne posted:

So Mikasa is just going to spend the rest of her life sitting next to Eren's grave, huh?
No, she only has 7 years to go then Eren's ok with it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Annointed posted:

ayy lmao

EREN NICE GUY

WE INCEL NOW

This is genuinely so incredibly funny to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Marluxia posted:

But Eren can see the future at that point, he'd know how far he got with the rumbling.

Like okay maybe he can't tell for certain but he definitely knows where he died, and therefore where his front of colossal titans reached, he knows he killed a fuckload of people.

From another thing it seems 80% of Marley was wiped out not the world, which makes sense as the Rumbling did not get that far.