Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

McConnell posted:

Where is it mentioned in the story that Marley survived?

I'm looking at the page with Levi/Gabi/Falco, could have sworn that Marley had a similar location to that.

If that is not the case, I guess it's what's left of the world vs. Paradis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

MechaX posted:

I'm looking at the page with Levi/Gabi/Falco, could have sworn that Marley had a similar location to that.

If that is not the case, I guess it's what's left of the world vs. Paradis.

Correct, the city where Levi, Gabi, and Falco are in the ending is a different nation altogether. Marley is explicitly destroyed. Chapter 130 and 131 show that it was the first nation attacked by the Rumbling and is the reason why Reiner and Annie's parents are in Fort Salta.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

The United States posted:

Hmmm... thinking about the interview saying the ending was originally going to be more like The Mist movie, but it was changed, I'm considering that it would have been more like what you described.

Perhaps something like both Zeke gets his Eldian Sterilization and Eren gets his rumbling mass extinction, both trying to "fix" the world in massive genocidal ways, but resulting in an ending where everyone is dead or unable to reproduce and massive ecological devastation means there's ultimately there's no point in surviving anyway.

And then he saw Guardians of the Galaxy and changed it to something... more hopeful

I actually really like this idea. Zeke manages to sterilize the Eldians in the brief moment where he is in paths prior to Eren's arrival. When Eren arrives he immediately uses his power there to bind and gag Zeke to carry out his rumbling while Zeke struggles desperately against his restraints. When the rumbling is over Eren instructs Ymir to close the paths forever and only finds out what has transpired once he and Zeke reawaken in Paradis.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Do we know if the Mist/GotG inspiration change is separate from the earlier, bleaker end/delayed end due to the property's popularity change? Because I bet the issue of Isayama incorrectly assessing his storytelling chops and getting in over his head is more due to the latter change. Not that I have any faith an earlier and bleaker end would have been objectively good, but it probably wouldn't have been... this.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Oh.

Oh, I get it now.

You're thinking that the titans spread outwards from Paradis, like a single marching wall fully encircling the globe, including their traversal across the oceans.

Yes, I can see why you'd reach those conclusions, if that's what you're thinking happened.
Before the 80% comment, I thought the rumbling was just a single wall marching toward one location, basically only what was shown in the pages.

After the 80% comment, this was my impression as well, a solid marching wall encircling the globe. The alternative would be a bunch of smaller walls aiming for various landmasses which is in effect the same, or the wall shown in the manga taking a 'little detour' on the way to the events of the battle and rumbling the vast majority of earth as a fun little side trip. All three of these are really super absolutely idiotic events tbqh

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

My impression for the rumbling is that the majority of the world's population is concentrated in upside-down Africa and the titans spread out after making landfall before being stopped at the fort near the south part of the continent, with the survivors being whoever lived there and what smaller portion of the world lives on other continents (such as Hizuru).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I thought the 80% was what his plan was, not whatt he managed to accomplish before being stopped. Is that not the case?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I thought the 80% was what his plan was, not whatt he managed to accomplish before being stopped. Is that not the case?

Eren knows when and how he'll be stopped, and he mentions this on two occasions.

1. The first thing Armin asks is even if Eren is stopped, wouldn't the world be able to retaliate against Paradis immediately. Eren essentially tells Armin not to worry about that because the Rumbling will wipe out 80% of the population as a matter of fact and they won't be able to wage war immediately because of this. The ending events corroborate this detail.

2. Eren sees the past, present, future simultaneously and later says "I murdered four-fifths of society" like he already did it, even though chronologically it wouldn't have happened yet. Regardless of when the Rumbling is stopped, Eren knows that he would have killed off that extent of the population by the time Armin stops him.

3. He also tells Armin that even if he had no idea Armin/Mikasa would stop him, he still would have flattened the world. It is weird that he says this in the past tense like it already happened rather than "I would want to flatten the world" still if he was uncertain this would actually happen. Again, Eren sees the end result already; he did end up flattening most of the world by the time he's stopped. If anything it seemed like his actual plan was more than 80%; he wanted to wipe out everything except for Paradis

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 29, 2021

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Random: So if the walls were made of crystalized titans, and we know Annie was able to hear every single thing people said around her during her stay in a wack-rear end crystal prism...

The implications are pretty awful. It's like multiple lifetimes of solitary confinement. At the very least, IIRC, no one can remember being titanized except for shifters, so perhaps their consciousness is lesser or non-existent.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

YF-23 posted:

My impression for the rumbling is that the majority of the world's population is concentrated in upside-down Africa and the titans spread out after making landfall before being stopped at the fort near the south part of the continent, with the survivors being whoever lived there and what smaller portion of the world lives on other continents (such as Hizuru).

Not even they were safe, we got panels showing they hit all these areas.

The in text panels show that they did in fact spread out and the only way Eren kills 80% of the population confirms thats how they were deployed. The only time it was single file was when then they were on Paradis.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Staltran posted:

I think you're really overestimating how many wall titans there were. It's more likely they dispersed in groups to attack specific areas before moving on to the next settlement. If they just spread radially like that there'd be a huge distance between each titan pretty quickly.

Cut it together however you want there is a massive gap between what we got on the pages and what Eren describes in the final chapter.

Either he's lying, or more has happened than we saw. I am going with the latter.

Bisse posted:

Before the 80% comment, I thought the rumbling was just a single wall marching toward one location, basically only what was shown in the pages.

After the 80% comment, this was my impression as well, a solid marching wall encircling the globe. The alternative would be a bunch of smaller walls aiming for various landmasses which is in effect the same, or the wall shown in the manga taking a 'little detour' on the way to the events of the battle and rumbling the vast majority of earth as a fun little side trip. All three of these are really super absolutely idiotic events tbqh

It's this one comment that creates all this trouble, and the final chapter just has a ton of it. It did a really good job of undermining or confusing the material presented over the prior 138 chapters. And the result is that it makes a lot of it seem really idiotic.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah if we did not have the 80% comment I would just assume the rumbling was defeated before it got too far. Cause the people from Libero outran it for a while.

Like it makes the most sense to me Eren was wrong about this and was stopped earlier then he planned. Cause the 80% comment happened in the past.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah if we did not have the 80% comment I would just assume the rumbling was defeated before it got too far. Cause the people from Libero outran it for a while.

Like it makes the most sense to me Eren was wrong about this and was stopped earlier then he planned. Cause the 80% comment happened in the past.

Except he knows the future, he knows exactly how it ends, and when. So it doenst matters if he said that in the past or present.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The line would have been so much better if Eren left out any specific number. Just have him be all, "But I killed... so many people..."

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Once Ymir unlocked the coordinate he became near omniscient is how I read it. But he’s still really stupid at the same time

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I mean, if we’re at the point where we have to assume the person with near-omnipotent powers and seemingly omniscient foresight into a unchanging future was just wrong or lying about important details for the story to logically work with what we were presented with, Isayama probably should have went back to the drawing board on a few things

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Did we ever find out why pure titans are compelled to eat people or did I just forget the explanation?

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

DamnitGannet posted:

Did we ever find out why pure titans are compelled to eat people or did I just forget the explanation?

I always thought it was a compulsion in case anyone they caught+ate was a shifter, but I don't remember anything to explicitly support that

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

and a little question I had - if a shifter can gain multiple powers by eating other shifters, are we to assume no one in the past had done it before Grisha/Eren?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
It could be that it happened but the shifter was killed, and the powers were reborn on different people.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

DamnitGannet posted:

I like to think it is an enduring echo of King Fritz's command to "Eat, my daughters."

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

I like to think it is an enduring echo of King Fritz's command to "Eat, my daughters."

Ahh, yeah okay, i could see that. that was my wife's theory as well, something about inheriting trauma and that being passed on for generations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah it's definitely supposed to be something like a cannibalistic blood curse

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

drat, that ending. Literally thought I was reading a parody at first lol. Straight up would've been better to end on the gruesome image of Mikasa/Eren on the second last chapter. What a contrast with the cleverness and intrigue up until that point.

I was really expecting a Crazy-Face-Armin moment at the end. Some turnaround on Eren now that Armin has been eaten and is in the paths space separate from the flow of time, possibly able to talk to Ymir directly, possibly outside of what Eren is able to perceive. The perfect opportunity for some major developments, right?

I was also hoping that a critical event would be to give Ymir a more positive view of how things can be. Eren spurred her to action, so have our less determinism-doomer-brained protagonists try to help her direct that, even though they too have done terrible things. Move her to end the cycle of abuse. Examine how Eren was consumed by it. Thematic character poo poo. Well Ymir sure got her hope but in the most monkey's paw way imaginable. :v:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

I'm only quoting you to tell you your avatar is of impeccable taste.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Bisse posted:

What makes the most sense is that they split up as they headed out of Paradis, with various groups beelining towards the largest concentrations of people (read: major cities, across different landmasses), then once back on land spread a wider line to cover more ground as they advanced both deeper inland as well as circling around the coasts (the bulk of human population is located along rivers and in coastal towns and cities).

We know titans can home-in on humans, and this was a directed attempt at killing as many people as fast as possible; there's no sense in having them spread thin across the oceans.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
hearing some rumblings on twitter about the additional pages that will be in the final volume... and they sound extremely funny

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

hearing some rumblings on twitter about the additional pages that will be in the final volume... and they sound extremely funny

i legitmately can't wait

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They seem pretty hilarious if true

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
If the leaks are true, Isayama saw that some people actually defended the ending and decided that they needed to suffer as well.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The only spoilers I can find is that Mikasa gets married and has kids, and brings them to Eren’s grave, are those what you’re talking about? I agree that they’re very funny.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If the leaks are true, Isayama saw that some people actually defended the ending and decided that they needed to suffer as well.

Hmm a "had to finish torching the place" ending, huh.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, my spite theory for the ending is looking stronger than ever.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Seems more like he's making GBS threads on people who supported Eren.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

The only spoilers I can find is that Mikasa gets married and has kids, and brings them to Eren’s grave, are those what you’re talking about? I agree that they’re very funny.

There's also meant to be stuff showing that Paradis is destroyed in the upcoming war and the Titans still existing

Which, in context, might make sense. Like if it's not something that actually happens in the future of the world but is just inserted into Armin's vision quest with Eren as like "this is what will happen if I don't do this" or something.

Though even in that case you're just getting into trying to justify the genocide further

Zeke was right, tbh

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, my spite theory for the ending is looking stronger than ever.

"I will destroy an aspect you loved about this series every month on the month until my demands are met: bring me my onsen deed, no strings attached."

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

loving lmao if any of that ends up being true, Isayama would be on some End of Evangelion-Anno mode kind of spite

Just lol if the remaining 20% destroy Paradis anyway and the hallucigenia is like “actually I lived, y’all still like Titans right?”

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

MechaX posted:

loving lmao if any of that ends up being true, Isayama would be on some End of Evangelion-Anno mode kind of spite

Just lol if the remaining 20% destroy Paradis anyway and the hallucigenia is like “actually I lived, y’all still like Titans right?”

I imagine it would be more the negotiations are a trap, Historia is just a puppet queen with no power to help them, the Jaegerists publicly execute the Avengers as traitors and declare on the world, then get their asses handed to them in the war.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

These rumors are absolutely wild and I can't wait. :allears:

I look forward to a followup drunk interview years down the line where he admits that by the end he was just loving with everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Homora Gaykemi posted:

There's also meant to be stuff showing that Paradis is destroyed in the upcoming war and the Titans still existing

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

I imagine it would be more the negotiations are a trap, Historia is just a puppet queen with no power to help them, the Jaegerists publicly execute the Avengers as traitors and declare on the world, then get their asses handed to them in the war.