Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I've written and deleted a dozen posts trying to sum up my problems with the ending, but stupidity and frustration compound on themselves until I can't get the words out. A huge chunk of the main cast is done dirty in 139, but particularly Eren, Historia and Mikasa (though as has been said, Mikasa recovers somewhat through the epilogue).

If I had the time and energy I'd compile all the scenes and framing that make little sense without Eren being the father. I'm sure someone else on the internet has already done it. However, this one might take the cake:

Just... unbelievably dumb. Eren is clearly not free, not then or ever, and Attack Titan Grisha of all people drat well knows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Honestly I've been wondering how much of my dislike for the ending was weird translation ("You committed genocide to save us thank you!!!???") and a rushed conclusion. The extra pages ere good and i literally didnt know about them until a month or two ago.
The execution of the last few chapters is just poor in general to be honest... the mikasa kiss is just weird and the marley commander being stunned at armin's brilliance is just not good. Like armin "saving the world" and mikasa killing eren were both things that were always going to happen (imo) and fit everything in the narrative but they just weren't done properly. The extra pages were better told even if the atom bomb going off in the end is not really something I like.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 13, 2022

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Honestly I've been wondering how much of my dislike for the ending was weird translation ("You committed genocide to save us thank you!!!???") and a rushed conclusion. The extra pages ere good and i literally didnt know about them until a month or two ago.

that wasnt bad translation though, he literally said that, the raws were posted in this thread

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I thought it was more of an "I appreciate the intent but we'll try to salvage the mistake you made" sort of comment

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I thought it was more of an "I appreciate the intent but we'll try to salvage the mistake you made" sort of comment

In It For The Tank posted:

That's because the arigatō happened two panels earlier:

For those wondering, Armin's first speech bubble says ...エレン ("...Eren"). His second says ありがとう ("Thank you"). Then he says the "You became a mass murderer..." yadda yadda yadda line.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Man, what a page. We like to talk about the shoddy first translation, but accounting for differences in sentence structure it sure does pretty much say "thank you for becoming a mass murderer for our sake." The follow-up of "I swear I won't let this misstep be for naught" is a pretty weak condemnation (if it can be called that) in light of... everything Armin is supposed to stand for at that point.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 13, 2022

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm 99% sure this is the intent, it's just a crappy line - again, I think the manga is rushing through the last several scenes and condensing what should've been several page long digressions into single lines that just seem out of place.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Honestly just removing the 80% line (more of the rumbling you leave to reader interpretation the better) and not having Reiner's last moment being Sniffner would probably improve the last chapter by several percentage points

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The anime is going to end with Eren looking into the camera, addressing the Prime Minister of Japan by name, and begging him to invade Korea again

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

The anime is going to end with Eren looking into the camera, addressing the Prime Minister of Japan by name, and begging him to invade Korea again

Floch would be the one suggesting an invasion of Korea.

Eren would just start a nuclear war.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I know it was basically already implied, but there's no way they're gonna finish the series this season given the pacing the anime is going. We're definitely getting a movie ending.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I know it was basically already implied, but there's no way they're gonna finish the series this season given the pacing the anime is going. We're definitely getting a movie ending.

End the anime just shy of the manga ending

Never make the movie

Bam, ending fixed

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Yeah, easy to get that feeling with both these first two episodes including the inexplicable minute long recaps of the previous episode. I’d give them a recap for the premiere, but to do it again here, huh?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The recap at the start of this episode was weird as poo poo because it wasn't abbreviated at all. Just the exact same scene word for word. Very bizarre editing choice.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The recap at the start of this episode was weird as poo poo because it wasn't abbreviated at all. Just the exact same scene word for word. Very bizarre editing choice.

Oh thank god

I thought I was going insane or had time traveled or something

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Anonymous Zebra posted:

It was slightly expanded even.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I think it's both to pad out for what seems to be the inevitable movie and to not kill the animators. They had to do this in under a year, after nearly killing themselves for the last season. The recaps are very likely to give them less work to do.

On another note, the Beast Titan looks way , way better this season. They really upped the quality.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Teek posted:

Yeah, easy to get that feeling with both these first two episodes including the inexplicable minute long recaps of the previous episode. I’d give them a recap for the premiere, but to do it again here, huh?

I thought I was rewatching an old episode at first.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Right? Padding out the time, felt like.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lmao https://twitter.com/errorzyntax/status/1485274268225400832?s=21

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The further we get in the season, the more I need the ending to be better. I guess everyone really does have to be drunk on something.

Seriously, though, the further I get from the shitshow that was the base 139, the more I think it's... well, it's not easily fixed. The chapter's really, really bad. But Eren is the only bit where the damage extends out full force, rather than just being a bad chapter on its own.

I know that it's been debated to death, but I do think Eren just being the father, even if you leave almost everything else the same, would be enough to combine with the epilogue to make Attack on Titan feel satisfying as a complete story, to me at least, even if the worst chapter came right at the end. Eren would still be selfish, it wouldn't justify anything, but it would give a clear throughline for Eren's actions that we don't really have with the current version.

It's also the easy solution that the anime is moving away from, so I'm curious what different thing the anime is planning to do, if anything, to make Eren's arc come to a solid close, especially because it looks like end with a movie.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

It's from this. Isayama apparently added them into the manga to troll everyone.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Anyone got a guess on who the guy circled in red is? I had thought it might be Rod Reiss from the eyebrows, but his hair is a bit curly while all the Reiss have very straight hair, and to my knowledge none are depicted with hats like this.

Also I initially thought the kids in green were young Armin and Mikasa, but on closer inspection it appears the one on the right is wearing glasses and the one on the left has short hair or possibly pigtails.

Every other scene/person in the image I have identified. Hi Ymir in the bottom left corner.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

chiasaur11 posted:

...I'm curious what different thing the anime is planning to do...

They're not changing anything. The negative reaction to the ending is purely among Western audiences. No one involved with the manga/anime has any reason to want to change it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

They're not changing anything. The negative reaction to the ending is purely among Western audiences. No one involved with the manga/anime has any reason to want to change it.

That was my default assumption until recently, but then I saw an interview with some of the staff and VAs from last November where someone brought up that the possibility of changes from the manga... and everyone immediately started trying to cover it up and say nobody saw anything. (Don't know much Japanese, but I know enough to say the subs seemed accurate.) Not definitive, but interesting.

I also remember Isayama saying the added pages to the collected manga wouldn't change anything, and, well... they did.

Even with that aside, and my conspiracy theories about Isayama making pretty late game changes to the manga on the cutting room floor, they've already made a lot of small edits to smooth things out or foreshadow differently. (Like the new memory shards today). Expecting a smoother flow for whatever we get isn't crazy.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I want to believe in an AOE but I just can't get my hopes up again. 139 (and, in hindsight, much of the last 5 chapters) was such a disappointment - one that still bums me out to this day - that I struggle to muster up any faith that the anime could possibly fix things. The popular theory that there are multiple timelines is admittedly compelling - in that it would effectively wipe the manga ending out of existence - but I fear it's just wishful thinking.

I would love to eat my words though.

If nothing else, ending with a movie (as appears to be the case) will force them to change the order and pacing of certain things. If they don't, it will really highlight how absurd parts of the final arc are, like the whiplash of all the secondary characters getting titanized and then getting reverted five minutes later.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I guess you didn't hear about how japanese fans are vocal about the ending and they are not happy...

Thoren
May 28, 2008

I guess you didn't hear about how japanese fans are vocal about the ending and they are not happy...

Now I have no idea who to believe.

We must send a goon emissary beyond the walls of SomethingAwful, to visit 2ch and return with the truth.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

With the second half of this episode we've imo entered into the bullshit territory. There's still good moments to come, but it's overall a downwards trajectory.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The only way the next couple episodes could disappoint me is if we don't get a really nice animation of the massive creepy spine growing out of Eren's head. The bullet time post-shot in this episode was absolute :discourse:

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Crespolini posted:

With the second half of this episode we've imo entered into the bullshit territory. There's still good moments to come, but it's overall a downwards trajectory.

yeah, as hype as this episode is this is the exact moment it started going to poo poo imo.

with retrospect, I think that the themes behind the ending arent so bad, but I think the execution from here on out really takes a dive.

I also agree that it would've been better if eren and historia were a thing.

like the weirdest thing is, I thought eren is obviously the bad guy the whole season, and a lot of peoples problems is that they have trouble with the protaginist acting immorally, but then with the "thank you eren" part, I guess actually he is supposed to be seen as a good guy? iunno, imma just enjoy the ride, and so far this seasons been great. I'm curious if the rest of the season will spark the same kind of controversy in the anime only crowd as it did with the readers

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Disagree. I liked most of the final arc, but I distinctly remember everyone thinking PATHS with Zeke was tops. A lot of folks think it went to poo poo after that, which I still don't agree with, but I feel like the next episode is honestly one of the series high points.
Not necessarily saying your opinion is wrong - I just remember the general consensus being extremely positive to upcoming developments.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 24, 2022

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
13 episodes to go. Do you think they can finish it?

3 episodes to do the paths and ymir stuff and 10 for the rumbling?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I was under the impression that the season was scheduled to only be 12 episodes and would likely stop just before the final battle, which would be a movie. I don't think there's a hard confirmation on that, but there have been a few things to suggest it.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Beefstew posted:

Disagree. I liked most of the final arc, but I distinctly remember everyone thinking PATHS with Zeke was tops. A lot of folks think it went to poo poo after that, which I still don't agree with, but I feel like the next episode is honestly one of the series high points.
Not necessarily saying your opinion is wrong - I just remember the general consensus being extremely positive to upcoming developments.

Yes, I recall an overall positive reaction to PATHS arc. It was only afterwards where public opinion diverged.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Beefstew posted:

That’s correct, all the stuff around this point was pretty universally loved across the board.

It is literally the last few chapters where people started worrying. That’s why the ending was so disappointing because it really felt like the series was gonna pull it all together right until the finish line.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I think going forward most episodes will be 1.5-2 issues. I think the slower episodes 1&2 were absolutely for scene setting and reminding the viewer of all the moving parts.

I bet paths will be mostly done in an episode and a half.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

After the Demon Slayer movie did stupid numbers in Japan, I'm convinced they'll want to do the same here.

I liked paths and pretty much everything up until 139, but 139 does make things that come before look worse.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Beefstew posted:

Yes, but now I know where it's leading (and where it's not), well, it feels very different.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Tuxide posted:

It's from this. Isayama apparently added them into the manga to troll everyone.

It's the boy in the fez that he saved and then later squishes.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Dogwood Fleet posted:

It's the boy in the fez that he saved and then later squishes.

No, the green circle on the upper-left corner, not the red one. The one we never really figured out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Tuxide posted:

No, the green circle on the upper-left corner, not the red one. The one we never really figured out.

quote:

Anyone got a guess on who the guy circled in red is?