Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
The talk about the OP kind of reminds me: we haven't seen Armin much lately, considering he's a main character. Or is that just one of those things where reading at the pace of a monthly comic makes the time between perspective changes and such seem way longer than it is when you read the completed work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

The talk about the OP kind of reminds me: we haven't seen Armin much lately, considering he's a main character. Or is that just one of those things where reading at the pace of a monthly comic makes the time between perspective changes and such seem way longer than it is when you read the completed work?

We'll probably see more of him soon - he's the team problem-solver, and the situation is going to poo poo (well, further into the poo poo than the SNK baseline) fast enough that an Armin plan/deduction will likely be necessary to save the day before long.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hodgepodge posted:

We haven't seen Mikasa much either - the last time we saw Mikasa and Armin (apart from their brief appearances in the latest Chapter 47) was in Chapter 45, when they were intensely eating rations and being cheered up by Hannes (who has incidentally dropped so many death flags by now that he's probably going to end up surviving after all). The focus had (rightfully) shifted to the four human-titan cadets, and next chapter we'll shift back to Mikasa and Armin's POVs as they pursue Eren.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Goddamn posted:

That's pretty interesting. Maybe Sasquach is some sort of really, really old experiment and spreads the Titan stuff like some sort of disease (since apes can transmit all kinds of diseases to humans). But for some reason, he's super-intelligent while the humans around him seem to be below ape level. It might also explain why he's so... "weird", e.g. speaking the language but not understanding the technology, stopping to seemingly impulsively throw a rock at the tower before leaving. And maybe this has something to do with why Bert and Reiner have to catch him.
Mmmm this doesn't explain why the two brothers are so interested in the Ape-Titan. One of the characters pointed out the eyes were sparkling or glowing when they saw him.

What's really interesting is the Ape-Titan wanders around and just doesn't give a gently caress about the brainless titans. But the two brothers and Ymir and Eren and nearly everyone else gets targeted by the titans. He is special, maybe he's titan power is controlling other titans?

Also anyone else think the brothers don't know where the village is? They need the Ape for a reason.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Reading this manga, was anyone else somewhat reminded of Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game? Training of children and young teens to be child-soldiers, the omnipresent (supposedly) mindless enemy, Armin kind of reminds me of Bean. It's not really that great of a comparison, but the themes are kind of reminiscent.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That's an incredibly broad setting that's existed for centuries and Ender's Game was just another, significantly more boring and predictable IMHO, take on it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
When did Reiner and Bert become brothers?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

all titans are related obviously

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DrSunshine posted:

Reading this manga, was anyone else somewhat reminded of Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game? Training of children and young teens to be child-soldiers, the omnipresent (supposedly) mindless enemy, Armin kind of reminds me of Bean. It's not really that great of a comparison, but the themes are kind of reminiscent.

I didn't get that vibe, mostly because other than the trainees, the other soldiers you see are a good bit older. I think it's more just a case of "shonen target audience" than trying to make it a story about kids per se.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Besides, I wouldn't characterize teenaged soldiers in a semi-medieval setting as child-soldiers. A 16 year old on his first campaign was nothing out of the ordinary during the European middle ages, if anything, he lived a sheltered life.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kild posted:

all titans are related obviously

Truly, all men are brothers.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ArchangeI posted:

Besides, I wouldn't characterize teenaged soldiers in a semi-medieval setting as child-soldiers. A 16 year old on his first campaign was nothing out of the ordinary during the European middle ages, if anything, he lived a sheltered life.

And they're only that young in this series because they enlisted at the absolute minimum allowed age, because gently caress ALL TITANS/get comfy in Central.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

of bees posted:

Take it over to the manga thread so we can see what it is.

I think I was getting ahead of myself when I said that. I can't find much information about it because no one seems to be interested in translating them.

The second and third volumes are apparently about the "mysterious origins and life of a boy named Kyukuro/Cyclo (named after the Cyclops apparently) and his struggle to be accepted by the townspeople after being found as a baby in the remains of a titan". However the page for that character on the fan-wiki (which is the only place I can find any other information about him) says that he was born from the corpse of a woman in some titan vomit.

When I saw the first part I was thinking that it confirmed that being in titan form de-ages you. The boy could have regained control of themselves like Ymir did but being younger had much more damage to their memory. The second part makes me doubt this though because having confirmed (if deceased) parents kind of negates the implication of him being a former titan.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 19, 2013

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
From the PYF gif thread.

I have no idea of the source.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Say Nothing posted:

From the PYF gif thread.

I have no idea of the source.

I am going to guess it's from Big Man Japan.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Kokoro Wish posted:

I am going to guess it's from Big Man Japan.

And it's worth tracking down and watching if you have the slighest interest in giant monster movies, while still being about more than just that.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Daler Mehndi posted:

And it's worth tracking down and watching if you have the slighest interest in giant monster movies, while still being about more than just that.

Or if the name Matsumoro Hitoshi is at all familiar to you.

Medieval Medic fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 22, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Finally caught up with the manga. Holy poo poo... :stare:

So, what are the odds of the Ape titan showing up to cause a free-for-all brawl?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After catching up with the anime I realized that the part where Eren plugs the hole in the wall with the boulder is literally the only Unequivocally Good Thing to have happened in the entire series up until this point. I can't really think of any other moments in the manga where they could pull off the whole "playing inspirational music" thing.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Ytlaya posted:

After catching up with the anime I realized that the part where Eren plugs the hole in the wall with the boulder is literally the only Unequivocally Good Thing to have happened in the entire series up until this point. I can't really think of any other moments in the manga where they could pull off the whole "playing inspirational music" thing.

Look at the bigger picture. That's the only good thing that's happened for mankind since they became prey to the Titans. It's their only victory against them. Things are pretty grim when your only victory is blocking a door.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

When they captured Annie is a big one.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Then Annie decided to overdose on crystal.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Ytlaya posted:

Remember when they played the hopeful inspirational music when Eren said that it was time for humanity to counter attack and that this is the big day and then

Then everyone got murdered and from that day forward nobody played hopeful music again for fear of jinxing things and getting people killed.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cross post to avoid the possibility of even accidentally spoiling poo poo, because my first reaction on seeing it was to post "Bert's really tall!" :aaa:

JosephWongKS posted:

Found a height chart (fan-drawn, but looks accurate enough) of the cadets + Ervin, Levi, Hanji and Petra.

Christa is really tiny.

Assuming that's accurate, Berthold is the tallest human too. It's like he wanted to make the revelations to come really make you go :doh: "How could I not have realised that sooner!?"

It's funny, there's a lot of parts in the latest episodes that I barely remember from the manga. Hell, I had forgotten all about Petra and had to wrack my brain to think if she was still around.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Now that I look at that image, it makes me think Erwin's pretty drat tall too. :tinfoil:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

When they captured Annie is a big one.

But they didn't actually get anything useful out of her, so all it managed to accomplish was preventing the kidnapping of Eren.

Granted, the fact that their first capture attempt worked as well as it did was a bit of a miracle (until she yelled and called a bunch of other titans to her location, at least). It was pretty upsetting to see such an elaborate plan completely fail in the end.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

But they didn't actually get anything useful out of her, so all it managed to accomplish was preventing the kidnapping of Eren.

Granted, the fact that their first capture attempt worked as well as it did was a bit of a miracle (until she yelled and called a bunch of other titans to her location, at least). It was pretty upsetting to see such an elaborate plan completely fail in the end.

Yes. Petra didn't deserve to go like that. :(

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

a kitten posted:

Assuming that's accurate, Berthold is the tallest human too. It's like he wanted to make the revelations to come really make you go :doh: "How could I not have realised that sooner!?"

Scale seems to be off, Jean and Reiner are standing straight and look the same height, but Reiner should be noticably taller, and at the same time Burt seems to have more than 4cm on Erwin.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Scale seems to be off, Jean and Reiner are standing straight and look the same height, but Reiner should be noticably taller, and at the same time Burt seems to have more than 4cm on Erwin.

Eren looks a fair bit taller than Mikasa in that image to me and Hanji looks a fair bit taller than both.

Edit: Is Levi really over 30? :psyduck: I had him pegged for around 22 or so. Hanji I figured was definitely older but holy poo poo does his age throw me off.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Edit: Is Levi really over 30? :psyduck: I had him pegged for around 22 or so. Hanji I figured was definitely older but holy poo poo does his age throw me off.

That's probably a casualty of anime faces, but yeah, 30 is a real stretch. Hannes looks like he's 30.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

onepixeljumpman posted:

That's probably a casualty of anime faces, but yeah, 30 is a real stretch. Hannes looks like he's 30.

If he looks 30, then he's 40 at the very least.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ytlaya posted:

It was pretty upsetting to see such an elaborate plan completely fail in the end.

I really enjoyed how the moral of "Eren, you have to put your trust in the people who fight with you" was reached and immediately undone in span of a single chapter. Another instance of Isayama cleverly turning a genre trope on its ear in a way that feels natural to the story as well as actually helping the (surviving) characters' growth.

Doflamingo posted:

Yes. Petra didn't deserve to go like that. :(

Every time I see her in the anime now I have a rough chuckle knowing how things turn out - the least heroic death of anybody in that squad, perhaps. Bootheeled while trying to get away, without an ounce of nobility or honor.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

JethroMcB posted:

I really enjoyed how the moral of "Eren, you have to put your trust in the people who fight with you" was reached and immediately undone in span of a single chapter. Another instance of Isayama cleverly turning a genre trope on its ear in a way that feels natural to the story as well as actually helping the (surviving) characters' growth.

I think the point of the whole thing was to teach an entirely different moral to the reader - there's no such thing as an ability to know the right answer. Levi says that it's his choice and that while he himself would trust his allies, not trusting them could be the better choice. He even acknowledged that fact after finding out about what happened to his squad.

It was super depressing because I liked those characters, though.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

JethroMcB posted:

Every time I see her in the anime now I have a rough chuckle knowing how things turn out - the least heroic death of anybody in that squad, perhaps. Bootheeled while trying to get away, without an ounce of nobility or honor.

At least she didn't whimper and beg for mercy while crying, unlike Mike. I think his is easily the least dignified death in the series so far.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There is no dignity in death. You can go quietly, you can go kicking, biting, and screaming, you can go formally, or making GBS threads your pants in terror, or crying for mama. But in every case, you go just the same.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
I found it, the best panel

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've been watching the anime (up to ep. 15 just after the trial) and I would like to know whether Sasha does anything useful in the manga during this time-period? All she's done in the anime is saving some guy from falling, messing up a kill, and eating a potato. It's not just her, though. A lot of characters have barely had any screen-time, and I'm just wondering if I would gain anything by reading the manga too?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Renoistic posted:

I've been watching the anime (up to ep. 15 just after the trial) and I would like to know whether Sasha does anything useful in the manga during this time-period? All she's done in the anime is saving some guy from falling, messing up a kill, and eating a potato. It's not just her, though. A lot of characters have barely had any screen-time, and I'm just wondering if I would gain anything by reading the manga too?

Sasha pretty much gets a whole chapter dedicated to her later on. The other characters get more screen time, too, and none of it will be covered by the current season of the anime since it's so far off so I say go for it.

Doflamingo fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 29, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Hey, Broken Knees, what the heck are you doing in the anime thread? You don't have to call attention to a post about Bert and Ernie. Let the kids have their fun without meddling.