Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Um, major spoilers for the final panel of the manga? That Isayama tv special aired, and it shows his preliminary sketch for the final panel along with some text.

https://kotaku.com/see-how-the-attack-on-titan-manga-will-end-1830531715

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

They'll tee up Grisha's backstory with some juicy nuggets, then go "Hahah, gently caress you, you gotta wait three more years for all the rest of it."

Just looking over the upcoming chapters, chapter 88 seems like it ends with what would be a good closer for the season, and it's about the right amount of content to take us through 5 more episodes.

They can then use the post-credits to tease the timeskip which will come a few episodes into next season.

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 29, 2019

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

That was what I was going to say, it's more possible that it will be 26 episodes, hell even 30 if the end is still more chapters away than we believed.

I'm really hoping they end up doing 26. Do a 13/13 split to ensure the manga completes and I think it'll finish out in a strong way.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Floch totally snuck onto the boat.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Eren, probably? posted:

You are free, to wear Spanx.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Is there any reasoning preventing the Founder being used to implant false memories? It would be the cop out to end all cop outs (and make 35ish chapters feel wasted), but could have Eren and Zeke had actually touched when he visited him at the hospital and everything after that point was some false scenario implanted by Eren to unite all the Eldians? I don't know that you could do an rear end pull twist like that in one chapter, but there's seemingly nothing technically preventing that, right? I mean if the Founder is connected to all Eldians via paths, and can re-write their DNA to not be susceptible to a pandemic and can erase memories, why couldn't they also create a false reality for them that they can then rewind to show was fake? I'm not sure what that exactly gains Eren, but it could theoretically get all the Eldians on the same side, without a global genocide also having happened.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

mightygerm posted:

I mean sure, that works for Eldians, but does nothing to solve the issue of the entire rest of the world wanting to wipe them out

Yeah, the only thing I could think was that Willy obviously has an in with a lot of nations, so the Tyburs could handle the Marley side of things. Essentially Willy would have gotten to see the Rumbling threat in action and thus be driven to achieve a peace.

It’s still obviously a dumb idea, was mainly just me wondering if there’s a way he could walk back the heel turn based upon established events.

Teek fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 24, 2021

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The anime has never been a one to one adaption. While they don't change much, they do leave out and tweak some things. It's entirely possible they will be able to salvage the manga into something fine. 90% of the manga material that will make up next season is basically solid. Seems easy enough they can adjust the remaining 10% to be decent by changing it or by simply expanding on it to have more nuance or meaning. Giving more to Historia, or in the finale more clearly showing the "heroes" not being happy with the Yaegerists being in control and what that means for the world, would go a long way towards showing it's clearly not a happy or good ending. I think the biggest point of contention will be the Armin finale dialogue, if you remove or adjust that, it would pull everything together much more clearly.

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 12, 2021

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

But Isayama really isn't in charge of the anime, is he? I don't think he has that much editorial control over what goes on there. I'm not even familiar with any anime that the manga author had that much of a hand in. They might be listed as producers, but I don't think they are that heavy handed or influential. If an anime is that close to the original manga, seems like that's just a result of the anime crew wanting to do that, rather than a overriding directive from the original author.

And by that I mean, for those times when an author is brought on to consult or provide ideas for the anime adaption, they're still just doing that at the request of the anime crew, who were free to do their own thing.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

LordMune posted:

Regardless, the notion that the anime would a) meaningfully change the ending and b) make it not bad, is patently absurd. There is exactly no reason to believe this.

Change for the better or just change? Because I think there are ample examples of anime completely botching their adaptations. And I’m not sure by what metric you’re judging something to be bad and then being changed. Because I’ve seen several anime that expand on a manga as it goes along, and a result, are also fleshing out the ending more. They get validly criticized for having filler, but they’re adding their own mark on the material.

For series ends, it usually amounts to the anime writing their own wrap up. Which I think is being helped mitigated by distinct season breaks being a bigger norm, rather than shows being ongoing weeklies. Ideally that will help AOT here, because they’ll have half a year to plan out how they want to pace out the conclusion. So while AOT has never added a whole lot, it’s never been that beholden to including everything from the manga, so I’m not sure why this is seen as a big leap of faith.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

In It For The Tank posted:

I know it was basically already implied, but there's no way they're gonna finish the series this season given the pacing the anime is going. We're definitely getting a movie ending.

Yeah, easy to get that feeling with both these first two episodes including the inexplicable minute long recaps of the previous episode. I’d give them a recap for the premiere, but to do it again here, huh?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Anime is continuing to do a great job elevating the material. I thought the port chapters were pretty bleh in the manga, the anime has done a great job really giving them some great kinetic motion and emotional umpf.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

So the “final” episode just aired and it looks like they officially announced a part 3 for the final season which will hit in 2023. Official sub should be out in a few hours.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah the skipped baby stuff was a bit noteworthy. At the minimum, the Historia scene will surely come back. The cliff baby scene will probably be moved because its pay off would come in the second movie anyway when the rumbling stops.

I didn’t really notice any anime only additional lines or content in this first part, just some re-staged shots. So yeah, not really getting the sense they’ll be changing or adding anything to the ending at this point.

hatty posted:

Will anime people get mad at the ending or was the outcry so loud they’ll expect the worst and come away liking it

At this point they’ll be getting the expanded ending, rather than the original one, so that’s already one thing working in the anime’s favor. There’s also something to be said for the way an actor delivers lines versus how they read on the page. A live action actor though has a lot more freedom in how a line comes off in their delivery and mannerisms. Not sure the voice actor can really do enough for some of the lines coming up to make them less ridiculous.

I think one thing that might help the anime is them more clearly highlighting how Ymir brain poisoned Eren was. It won’t lessen Armin’s bad take, but it might better help re-frame it.

Teek fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 4, 2023

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

It would also help if they gave us some kind of actual dialogue and wrap up scenes for the remaining Paradis characters like Historia, Hitch and the Braus family, rather than the “oh hey, things stayed bad here” shots we got in the manga. Not just for the thematics, but to give them actual send offs.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Not really, more a “there’s still hope, but maybe a damned hope” thematic thing which will probably be better highlighted since it and the cliff baby were moved to the last movie.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Hahah, true. Well they greatly extended Armin and Eren’s convo and had Armin tearing into Eren’s rear end for a few minutes. So I would say, yeah, Isayama acknowledged he dropped the ball there. lol

The “We’ll see each other again in hell.” Is both pretty metal and hilarious.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yes, all the outcome stuff is the same. They did cut/add some new flash forward character bits. The worm was cg but looked pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

hatty posted:

Did they still have Eren kill his own mom? That’s one of the things I hate most about the last chapter

The thing is, Eren is finally clearly called to task for all his poo poo and being a dumb rear end, that that event is just bundled up with all his failures, so probably less bad now?