Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I feel compelled to post but this manga has taken my words. I almost wish I'd never seen this thread, so that in 20 years I could find this finished and read the poo poo out of it all at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Until the giant titan showed up, the cities were pretty much perfectly safe. There's a general impression that general readiness is way down since there hasn't been any real impending danger in a century, hence all the so-called attempts at taking back the outside. The average person considers the military to be a bunch of freeloaders, not a vital part of their survival.

Then the giant titan disappears for 5 years and they really only have one panicked account to go on as far as any tactics employed by it. They doors stay part as a symbolic gesture and part to provide a way to get scout teams (platoons more like) and their supplies in and out quickly.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 3, 2011

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Also, you seem to greatly overestimate the ability of explosives to actually destroy something that they just happen to be set off next to. Titans seem to hardly be bothered by getting knocked around or losing big hunks of tissue other than their neck. Setting off a bomb next to one might knock them flat and maybe cause some nasty wounds if there's a good bit of shrapnel, but if would take a pretty drat good blast to reliably kill a bunch of titans. Generally, if you want to be sure you destroy something tough, you set off the explosion inside it, which would require some fancy guided missile stuff that's way over these guys' heads.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheDemon posted:

Gah, I should have waited a year to start following this because 13 chapters is far too few and the monthly wait is going to be torture.

Monthly? The guy translating it right now only does whole tanks, so more like yearly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Someone punch that dude in the gut for me, or slap him with some money. What the christ I'm not waiting a loving year.

A couple weeks back someone (I think Zorak) said something to the effect of the latest volume being out and work started, so it could be any time now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

.Clash posted:

Oh wow, I think I'll wait for a better translation.

"FROM THE SUMMARY ARTICLE OF 5 PAGES BEFORE START" :psyduck:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ka0 posted:

Can somebody please explain how the 3D-gear works because I thought it was a portable gas-powered bungee cord but apparently it does other things.

Think Spiderman but with spear guns and better control.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mr. Vile posted:

That's basically the impression I get from them. They're very, very sharp because they have to cut through Titan flesh, but they're only good for one or two uses before the blade has to be replaced. The little diagonal lines across the sword are for snapping the blade off to keep the part near the end sharp.

I thought it said something about them being coiled up and are much longer than shown once they pierce the titan.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zorak posted:

Simple: she disengaged from it while they started to try to devour her, then 3D maneuvered out as the body deteriorated. The deterioration obscured her enough to hide from both Rivalle and the giants.

And I have to say, I love that for once, BELIEVE BLINDLY IN YOUR FRIENDS has failed.

I love how you're led on like it's all gonna work and then 3 pages later they're all dead.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a Titan would get the gently caress out of dodge if it saw you take down something like Fatalis or Lao Shan Lung, much less any of the Frontier bullshit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nilbop posted:

Jesus there is basically 0 chance Paul Levesque anyone in WWE isn't juiced to hell isn't there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No Wave posted:

Has Berserk killed off anyone significant in the present?

Not really but it's also been shifting away from the grimdark stuff since the Black Swordsman arc ended.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pierson posted:

Advance of the Titans: Your Favourite Character Is Going To Die

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I can't remember the last time I was this hype for an anime. Just :drat:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wasn't that just people speculating?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No he isn't.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Maria alone was just over 3000KM long. I didn't get a good feel for how far apart the wall titans were but let's say they're 50 meters apart, in which case there's 60 of them in there. The middle wall is about 2400KM long (48 titans) and Sina is just under 1600KM (32 titans). I wouldn't think they'd pack more than maybe twice that many in there if they're 50 meters tall.

That's 7000KM of wall, which is a good bit longer than the Nile's 6650.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 16, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

derp derp

The anime thread was guessing about 20 million based on the preindustrial agriculture and land area roughly the size of France.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There has to be some pretty hellacious famine going on in the remaining area if that was just the outer wall refugees. They lost the majority of their arable land, which was likely being farmed to the fullest extent to support the higher population densities further in.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And also denser than the average human body.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nah, Eren's basically drill sergeant's unapproachable avatar of anger act but he's not acting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, I'm pretty sure blind and deaf man could have called that being in the anime. I doubt they're going to get much past that, though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The sky is blue, the sun rises in the east, sets in the west and supplementary materials spoil poo poo. :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elotana posted:

Is there any indication yet whether the anime will follow the manga and the second half will be Survey Corps vs Female Titan? Figured this was a better thread to ask than the other one.

It's seemed pretty obvious that they're looking to end it somewhere around her capture.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Berserk has been really, really slow the last few years. We haven't had a chapter in over 6 months now and last year had less than 10. The latest tank took over a year and a half to fill.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Don't forget that most anime that isn't explicitly aimed at selling things to kids tends to air in the infomercial timeslots and is about as reliant on merch sales as one.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It runs in a shounen rag. The over-under on every surviving named character being one at some future date is pretty low.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bremen posted:

Any chance this can be a bannable offense?

Pretty sure it is. Report and move on.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm guessing something like

21 end of fight
22 Another chatty episode for debriefing and planning poo poo
23 More chatter, end with Eren, Mikasa and Annie's little walk
24 Fight again
25 End fight and wall titan reveal.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Injured and on the frontline? Gonna go with brutal near death experience, though probably nothing crippling because that would limit any future Mikasa's abs spreads.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Probably because a random wood cutting axe isn't a pair of magic super sharp boxcutterswords that the whole neck chunk out in one stroke.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That's why they use 2 at a time. It's so they can completely remove a big chunk before the titan can regenerate.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RatHat posted:

Here's the raw for Chapter 50. http://www.mangabee.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/50/

Obviously don't click that link if you want to wait for the translation.

That's not the raw, that's the Chinese translation mislabeled.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jackard posted:

Why does it take more than one person to fly a 747, :downs:

It's not as if most tanks have several people in them covering different jobs or anything...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think she's just knows the role she's going to have to play now that they've knocked over the rest of the royal family. The people are more likely to fall in line if they spin this as family politics rather than a new military government.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sounds like a bigger trainwreck than turning Detroit Metal City into a high school romcom.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

Haha, what? Please tell me that this actually happened :allears:

Yep, though at least they recorded some really badass versions of all the songs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

I'm watching DMC right now.

The trick with romcoms is that you need to make the audience at some level care about the relationship.

The DMC anime does not give a gently caress about that and plays it purely for laughs.

They made a lovely live action movie. That's what we're talking about. The anime is a pretty slavish adaptation. It's just a pity that they didn't keep going til at least the Satanic Emperor Festival.

The only good thing to come out of the movie was the album they put out: "Makai Yuugi".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkpxWZ9k0y0

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 1, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

This manga is the king of having nothing happen.

No, Berserk has had it beat since long before it was ever thought of and will continue to have nothing happen for decades to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Is VG Cats still around.

I think it's on the Berserk release schedule. Only instead of 20 pages of insanely detailed drawings of cool monsters you get that.