Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

ArchDemon posted:

I guess it'd be interesting if all the titans ended up having humans inside them.

The problem with this is you see the soldiers cutting off the back of the titans' necks, and they just look like chunks of flesh. When Armin cuts into Titan Eren to retrieve Eren you can still see his body inside. Of course, given Eren's fused state it's possible that initially there are humans inside titans, but they get absorbed quickly into them.

What else is interesting is that Eren's dream state when he's a titan. If there is a human core in each titan, this would account for their low intelligence: they view the world through the lens of their dream and can't actually see what's really happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Hugs Boson posted:

:words:

I think a lot of your questions can be answered by the fact that the humans seem to have limited technology and are very, very scared of the titans. As such, they are very focused on how to fight them and protect against them, but not how to avoid them altogether, which is really the best strategy. Build a car, and you can go so fast they can't even catch up; build a plane, and they can't even reach you. Instead, the humans focus on improving what is essentially 19th century technology, and get stuck in a technological backend.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

One thing that I'm really curious about is "why now"? There's all these human-turned-titans suddenly active within the walls, people are (probably) turning into titans, and then you have the hairy guy. What on earth is happening outside the walls that this is happening now? If the titans were able to do these things from the beginning the walls would have long been breached, so something's fishy as all hell.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Asuron posted:

Not really? It's been pretty fast paced and we're moving through lots of events, not really sure how you're getting the idea it's slow unless you just don't like reading setup for big events? Just because we're not having amazing action scenes happen every chapter doesn't mean things are going slow.

I really like the direction things are going, because usually in manga/anime the protagonist would beat any inhuman enemies and then whatever human resistance they had would dry up instantly like it was never there. In AoT the inhuman enemy is intimately connected to the human enemy, and there's no way you can get the resources to stop the first without dealing with the second.

It mirrors how revolutions actually work. When Portugal was fighting their untenable colonial wars, the soldiers didn't fight harder in losing battles, they went home and usurped the fascists so they could end the wars. In AoT the untenable situation is not fighting, because it's that or slowly be annihilated.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Terper posted:

Well, the only confirmed superpower she has is the Ackerman blood. The only reason the asian bloodline is important, as far as we know, is that it's a minority, and as such isn't affected by the memory wiping.

This really stuck out at me because why keep liabilities like minority blood lines around? There must be some reason to let them live, and my guess is that they're last ditch reserves in case something happens to the Reiss line. The one's that didn't disagree with the royal family probably serve as the kingdom's historians, because no one else can actually keep track of what's happening. Are we even sure the Reisses are immune to the mindwipe if they're not titanized?

Also I think we can start speculating a bit about what's so important that there's this huge conspiracy behind it.

1) It's something that is still actively harmful.
2) It would probably cause massive despair if it was known, but if absolutely no one knows it then humanity is likely to bumble into it accidentally.
3) Whatever it is caused a genetic bottleneck, either naturally or artificially.
4) Whatever it is can be seen as more important than the people inside the Walls.

Depending on how we interpret #4 it could be anything from "unchecked human growth will ruin earth again" to "we carry a deadly disease to the rest of humanity" to "[insert insane alien plot here]". I get the definite sense that whatever it is, the Wall people are both dangerous and very lucky they weren't annihilated instead of just confined.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

AlistairCookie posted:

I've been getting a bit of a Claymore vibe off of Titan, as of late. As in, we're about to see something analogous to Claymore's big reveal about the world at large, beyond their island, the greater war, the truth of the Yoma [Titans] and Claymores/Awakened Beings [Shifter Titans], the Organization's [Reiss family's] true motivations.

I'm not sure what's coming exactly, but I'm pretty curious as to what the Big Reveal actually will be. Weaponized humans gone awry?

I'm personally thinking maybe that the Wall people are on Mars or some other planet, not Earth, based on the deciphering people did of the text on the inside of the manga covers. The Walls and titans serve as cover for the actual dome that covers their country, among other things. It would also explain the genetic bottleneck, since not many people would have access to spaceships. As for the outside world, I'm pretty sure it's still ticking, because there needs to be something the Wallists are so willing to die for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Zogundar posted:

After this last chapter when they talk about what happened to the personalities of the royals post-succession I get the feeling that it's been the other way around this whole time. The person doing the eating is subsequently consumed or overwhelmed by a hive mind or more dominant power and only retain limited amount of freedom afterward. Perhaps the basement involves allowing Eren access to the power while circumventing its will.

I think that the Reiss line is engineered so that once they gain the coordinate, the first king takes over immediately. Other bloodlines don't have that problem, but they also have trouble gaining full access to the king's powers. Before Wall Rose was breached, Grisha probably planned on introducing Eren to his work gradually, but once the breach happened he thought his days were numbered for some reason and had Eren eat him in desperation to preserve the coordinate.