Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
So I just finished reading the whole manga in one sitting, and holy poo poo there is never a part of it where I thought to myself "man this is a little boring" I really love the whole thing. It feels a lot like the really good parts of Berserk, in terms of art style and tone at the very least, and maybe more than anything the sense of hopelessness for the people fighting the creatures that suddenly show up (like when Zodd makes his very first appearance in Berserk.) I guess there have been a lot of people making the leap to the manga since the anime started, but I just had to come and sing my praise for it.

e:I really wish there were more of those informative charts and maps and stuff at the ends of chapters like there were at the beginning though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

It is really baffling that the anime thread hates Mikasa so much. I don't think I've ever been more tempted to post completely made up spoilers just to ruin their day when they see what actually happens.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I guess it's quite a ways off, but I'm wondering what they are going to do for the voices of the titans that can talk- Ymir, squatchtitan, and I think Annie say at least a couple of things during her "incidents", then there's that one that talks to the short-lived scout lady right after the Trost arc ends. I am also a bit curious if we've seen the last of the members of the 104th who can turn into titans, or if it gonna turn out that Mikasa was the only one in the top ten who wasn't actually a titan. In any case I don't think it's too far-fetched to consider that Conny might be a titan, given the state they found his village in.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Or she was ordered to the inner walls as a spy/sleeper agent to some other purpose. I'm not totally sure any of them knew about Eren in advance, I don't think it was until after he went Titan that first time that he became an actual target of interest.

What's more I'm sure she wouldn't have been so happy to share her hand-to-hand techniques with him if she had any idea at the time.

I'm looking forward to the probable flashbacks with Reiner and Bertholdt, wouldn't they have been like 12 years old as well when they attacked wall maria? And I get that people's papers were a mess after the attack, but I just find it too funny that they ended up with at least 5 titans in the same batch of trainees, it makes you wonder how many more there are in the military, or even just the 104th.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 10, 2013

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I gotta say, Mikasa radiating electricity when she resolves to kill the last kidnapper looks pretty silly in the anime. And the scene after where Dr. Jäger offers for her to come live with them felt much more poignant than in the manga (maybe it's just that the manga was still getting it's bearing in terms of quality back then).

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I guess I didn't notice it the first time because it had no significance yet, but Reiner, Bernholdt, and Annie talking about ~titan stuff~ while the only member of their squad who's a normal human just kinda freaks out is golden. I had to go back and take a look at the manga to make sure that wasn't some weird addition to the anime, but sure enough, it's there verbatim.

I hope that Eren-titan gets some sprucing up for the commercial release, because he just seemed kinda off, like he was missing proper shading or something, but like I said in the anime thread, his titan roar certainly lived up to expectations.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Gyges posted:

Eren and Annie both mostly gave it away with fighting stances and such. Clear enough to guess but not so blatant that it was totally obvious. The rest of the Human-Titans were surprises(unless you dug down into the manga like that one guy who actually predicted that Reiner and Bertolt were Titans). I don't think there was really any way to tell Ymir was a Titan. I guess you could read into the short flashback to her and Christa taking the hurt guy to medics, but that came right before she just transformed.

I made a speculation post in the anime thread about the formatting of having the training sequence happen before Trost in the anime as opposed to the way the manga does it spoil a bit, and that's exactly what I was talking about. The stance means nothing to you if you're just reading the manga from the beginning because the scene with Annie, Eren, and Reiner happens after Trost in the manga (chapter 17). Up to the point where you see Eren-titan in the manga you have no idea that anyone in the 104th knows hand-to-hand, and really why would they?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I don't think that it's completely unreasonable to assume that the anime is being enough of a success that they could very well continue with more seasons, I mean there's at least enough story for them to make a second season, which would probably bring us close to where we are now in the manga. I think the real question is where they will finish off this season, my money is onthem finishing up with the capture of Annie. But maybe I'm just being hopeful, I really want to believe they won't pull a gantz on us and pull a really bad ending out of their rear end for the anime.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

From here

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

What I think I love most about this manga is that even if we could come up with some rational explanation that could make sense given what we know, there's no way it would be anywhere close to what is going on, it would actually be the exact opposite of the thing we can't imagine.

But yeah, talk about serious blueballs. I do love the hell out of crazy Reiner though. Actually I can't really think of any developed characters I don't like, they all have something about them that makes them seem interesting and motivated, even the "evil" characters like Annie and Reiner don't really seem evil, maybe just more misguided than anything. But who knows, maybe they are really fighting for some greater good we can't fathom yet. I do really hope things become a bit clearer next month though.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

My take on the origin of the titans at this point is something along the lines of the bugs in blue gender for instance (I know other settings have done it but this is the first one that comes to mind) maybe just without the "earth resetting itself" thing. Basically experiments done on humans to make them better, stronger, faster, longer living, solar powered, etc. Then once tons of people had gotten the treatment, it all went horribly wrong, the treatment becomes infectious, causing it to mutate further and the world ends up the state it is in now. I could also see them having had some kind of specific post treatment that prevented the titan transformation, then the technology being stolen without it and it falling apart from there. Blue Gender probably isn't the best comparison, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

And on the mass of titans being really wonky, I would imagine the transformation vacuuming up CO2 and moisture from the air in a large area around the person to create the mass needed.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I dunno, they padded the gently caress out of this last episode. But I guess 6 more episodes is a good chunk.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I don't think it's a huge stretch to assume that whatever Eren's dad did to him is completely different from how the other titan shifters get their power, which is probably the reason they want to capture him so badly. I don't think Bert and Ernie are dumb enough to really believe he will want to be on their side after they talk to him for a while, so what other explanation could there be?

Toadsniff posted:

I wonder if Bert's power is dissipating, because I haven't seen him transform properly in some time, even when he was on the wall it was incomplete like Eren's cannonball block™, and he keeps asking Reiner if he's still a warrior? Like there are classes of titans. Perhaps he's losing his Colossal Titan ability, and Eren is gaining ( I can't remember if Titan-Eren has eaten any Titans?). Maybe destroying mankind is no longer necessary for them because Eren can gain strength without eating people, would fit with Ymir's level up after eating Reiner and Bert's bro.

The colossal titan is like a siege engine, it's basically immobile because of it's size/weight which is why it's primary defense is the steam, if it tried fighting like other titans it would be a sitting duck, that's why Bert hasn't transformed since the wall.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 27, 2013

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Does it bug anybody else that Annie's crystallization powers in the anime are shown as white/blue? I always imagined it as more of a yellow/amber color, or at least something closer to fleshtone than blue.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

My personal :tinfoil: theory is that our old friend will eat bert or ymir and regain his humanity and then get captured in human form by the recon corps. Then of course we would get to see them having to restrain Eren/Mikasa from just beating him to death in his sleep.

Yeah, I like to dream big...

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I don't recall the insubordinate soldiers luring titans to the column on the way back to the walls being in the manga, is my memory faulty or are they adding filler? Because that could mean we might get the cut to black after the wall-titan face reveal :allears:.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

And now you've made me feel anxious about Sasha's prolonged absence. She's been out of sight for 13 chapters! More than a quarter of the entire series! More than a year IRL! What's happened to her in the mean-time? Has she been eaten by a Titan offscreen, like Marco? :ohdear:

I recall reading (probably in this thread) that she was slotted to die in the village scene originally, but that was changed by Izayama for some reason or another (which I'm pretty sure was before the anime started airing, so had nothing to do with her popularity there).

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Wasn't it generally assumed that Eren probably ate Grisha the first time he transformed after that injection? and that's why he hasn't been seen? Obviously we know now, but wasn't it one of the prevailing theories?

Have they run out of mundane poo poo to be going on yet? or will next chapter cut to some slice of live poo poo in a hunting village far from any of the cities, or be a flashback to Jean's childhood or some poo poo?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I just caught up on the last 8~ chapters and I'm just here to say

Monkey titan is one sexy motherfucker

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

:heysexy::hf::heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

The curse of being up to date on the manga is seeing all of the Levi x Mikasa fanart, and knowing these people wouldn't care even if they did know.