Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

It seems implied that the more intelligent Titans are actually human-Titans (the Colossal one, the Armoured one and Annie) while the stupid ones are weird conglomerations of regenerating flesh. They don't even digest what they eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I totally forgot that Annie just drops that she failed to become a warrior. I guess all three of them are double failures if none of them could manage to bring Eren back.

victorisham posted:

What the gently caress did the anime just do to Annie That was literally unnecessary.

VVVV: She might have but laughter is different from "blushy and starry-eyed as hell".

There's this and then there's: and this.

One adds a completely different tone to her type of crazy. It feels really skeevy.

I think it's fine. She's basically been poker facing her way through the entire thing (arguably her entire time in the military) and she just got found out. It's like a realization of how absurd you've just been trying to pretend when everyone's known your secret the entire time.

e2: holy crap people on tumblr blowing up about Annie's irreversible ruination of her character and vowing to never watch the anime ever again

Eej fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 15, 2013

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ProfessorProf posted:

Did they not realize she was lying during her "A weak girl like me" speech, or what?

Oh no, it's about the ~*blushing*~ being a massive departure from her manga representation. I skimmed a couple of entries (that were very, very long) so I didn't get the real gist of it aside from "anime version ruins Annie" but there's the interpretation that the "blushing and laughing is a sign that she's broken down and not in control unlike the Annie in the manga who is cold and calculating" as well as "I haven't watched the anime but they ruined Annie by sexualizing her by making her blush and laugh" and okay I need to stop

e: lol

Eej fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 15, 2013

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

yellowyams posted:

I don't see how the reactions are out of proportion when a large reason the story became so popular with a lot of people was that it's rare to find media that's relatively respectful of it's female characters (I really wouldn't call snk "progressive" in that regard but not-terrible is a step in the right direction) and this change reduced Annie's character to a pretty basic anime trope. It retroactively paints all her actions as "she did it because she was mentally unhinged" when part of what was fascinating about Annie was that she did all these cruel things while understanding perfectly well what she was doing yet still felt justified in doing so. Also don't loving tell me the director didn't realize what connotations this: would have.

It's alright if you think that scene was fine, I personally wouldn't say it ruined anything (just kind of shat on characterization a little) but it's kind of weird to be so dismissive of people who are upset that the media they assumed was safe from this crap just reinforces the notion that lovely portrayals of women are never going to go away, because as far as reasons for being upset go... that seems like a pretty good one to me?

All I'm saying is that if Reiner and Bertolt's confession gets animated and they don't have weird skeevy blushes like out of some hentai I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Well Bert tries to laugh it off and Reiner blushes in embarrassment already so we just need to animate it.

Also I don't think that this scene changes her character at all. It's also a really big stretch to say it's a lovely portrayal of women and retroactively makes the show Bad For Feminism.

Part of it is manga vs anime. A single frame can convey the desired effect while animation can use audio as well as force you to linger on a scene to get the desired effect. 3 seconds of a grin before flipping the page versus 10 seconds of her laughing. Her uncharacteristic laughing itself is supposed to disturb the viewer because in media when people start laughing when they are cornered you know something terrible is about to happen. It's more powerful when it comes from a usually emotionally flat character (see also Mikasa hugging Eren in relief after he comes out of the titan, which came out more powerful in animated form as well).

As for the blushing, I'm not going to speak for directorial intent. People blush when they get embarrassed, like when they are caught in a lie or if they are beaten somehow by a person they deem weaker than them. People blush when they laugh very hard, like when laughing at the absurdity of your situation. Or I guess you could blush because it's anime and the only time they bother to colour cheeks is because you are moe or in a hentai.

Also stop taking that one still out of context. It's almost as dumb as those mid action Naruto stills that mock the quality of the animation.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Assuming it turns into some kind of gigantic warrior on warrior brawl with Mikasa, Levi and others swinging inbetween, the ending would best be suited as an OVA series so can secure budget for it.

Also Annie is blushing while laughing in the draft too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sasha's VA is appropriate because her VA is even weirder than the character. Merry Christmas!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Agreed posted:

Edit: This is also the first manga I've ever read, maybe I'm missing a genre convention of accelerating pace or something. I don't know, it just felt like where everything leading up to Annie's Last Stand and the Wall Titan reveal was evenly paced in terms of "amount of stuff happening per chapter" and lately it's been ramped up a ton, with a lot of unexplained stuff that only the author knows about assuming the author planned it all out in advance. I'm excited and looking forward to these questions being answered, but it's definitely picked up pace a hell of a lot.

I read it all at once, by the way, that might be affecting my perspective on the speed of events too. If you read it all over the span of a few hours it takes off like a rocket with regard to pacing and plot developments ever since Connie's village and Castle Utgard.

The only thing that really pops out of nowhere is the bigfoot titan. Everything else is actually foreshadowed like crazy but we aren't given the information to catch it at the time.

If you've blitzed through the manga go and watch the anime. There are a lot of things that are really blatant once you know what happens. Armoured Titan's design is literally Reiner as a titan, he even has the same hair. The titan trio are almost always together when reacting to important scenes and their throwaway dialogue takes new meaning as well as their reactions to Eren transforming.

Wall Titans are kind of hinted at by the Wall religion implying that humanity didn't really make the walls. Mostly though, you start getting a lot of revelations very fast because we're starting to just get past a key introductory bit where we find out that there is a society of titan warriors as well as a malevolent force leading the regular titans.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kokoro Wish posted:

That's a reason for how she is. It's not an excuse, especially when she's already almost grown once. When she thought Eren had died she began growing as a person without him after realising she could. Then he pops out of the titan and she tucks him right back under her arm-pit like the good little crutch he is. She actively runs away from growing as a person.

Dang dude, there are real people out there who really do love and cherish their adopted family in the same way as Mikasa does because they've gone through situations where an adopted family is all they have. Yeah she's a little over attached but I really don't see how anything she does is objectively wrong.

She lost her biological parents and was adopted by strangers unconditionally. Then she lost them too and only has Eren left as family. Yeah he's kind of a poo poo but she loves him all the same and she fights tooth and nail to ensure that what little family she has remaining is still alive.

Saying that someone can only grow by relying on themselves seems a little callous if you ask me. Her life is focused on protecting Eren because he literally does everything he can to get himself killed. She can't persuade him to stop and if she lets him do whatever he'll just get himself killed anyway and that's a lesson you can't really learn from.

Basically her personality and motivations are absolutely believable and justifiable from a real person perspective and the only reason why anyone would be frustrated about her character is because we know Eren has plot armour and won't die.

Eej fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 22, 2013

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

She holds Eren back because she doesn't want her only family left in the world to die and she doesn't know he has plot armor how is this a sign of her having an emotional flaw.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mikasa is a teenaged girl who suffers from psychological trauma due to witnessing the violent death of her parents as a child and then later watching her adoptive mother get eaten alive. Eren is more than just her sole remaining family member, he also represents stability, in that as long as he is alive, she still has family that she can love and trust. If you can understand this simple concept, all of her decisions, whether flawed or not, make complete sense. The idea that she has to "grow past" her dependence on Eren to mature as a person is ridiculous and I hope you guys never deal with people who have been traumatized in real life.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Did you also forget that she was willing to kill other military members to protect Eren after he came out of his first titan form?

This has nothing to do with her being a female character. It's just as creepy in any other form whether you change the genders up or not. Her whole existence revolves around Eren and by god she's going to do everything she can to make sure he will never, ever leave her. When there are points that she could be separated or have to deal with being alone she clings harder to Eren. That ain't healthy.

This part is my favourite. If someone was trying to kill your sibling and you threatened that person with a knife, you are suddenly "really creepy"? This isn't "pull a knife on a dude who looked funny at your sister" territory, this is "my brother is about to die and I'm not going to go down without a fight".

Also please remember that Reiner and Bert were literally responsible for almost a quarter million deaths. To put in perspective, they actually killed as many people directly and indirectly as the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Genocyber posted:

Co-dependence is not a good thing. At least, it's not good if the person remains that way for the rest of their life.

I agree, but she's not really fully co-dependent either. For example, she spent a lot of time trying to call Eren out on his dumb crap and stopping him from doing stupid things (ie joining the military). On the other hand she didn't say anything about Eren trying to kill her in titan form either. You could argue that covering for your brother is co-dependent or just "a thing family and friends do for one another when they're in a pinch".

I would argue from a more general perspective that a willingness to sacrifice of oneself to aid another (or others) is probably a more desirable personality trait in the world they live in, though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kokoro Wish posted:

There's also the massive Cult of Levi.

I was in the Akiba Toranoana this summer during Comiket and one of their floors was pure Titan. Almost all the smut was Levi (and Eren). Hell the non smut too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Erwin smiling was incredibly creepy and I don't even really know why (for certain) he was doing it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Herb Stencil posted:

He said it in reference to the "you're a freak" comment by Levi.

Yeah the jarring thing for me is that Erwin and his smiling came right after Levi expresses some concern that he may have been murdering humans this entire time. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

threeagainstfour posted:

I think it may have been added for the anime, but the whole thing with Petra and her dad talking to Levi about marriage was pretty gut wrenching.

Also the bit where he presents random dude with the wings of freedom patch and says "this is proof that they lived, to me" is one of my favorite moments of the series.

You mean when he hands the random dude who fucks up Petra's patch, right?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Levi figs sell out faster than Mikasa figs and I don't think people actually buy Eren poo poo. He's definitely driving a lot of popularity for the series. It doesn't help that when he's in his civvies he's better dressed than literally everyone else combined.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

That sounds more interesting than Pacific Rim. I couldn't get into it because of the weird 2-person mech thing. I never really grasped exactly what the point of having a second person as a link between the robot and human. At least this show doesn't resort to bullshit jargon to introduce a sidekick character.

This would be like Pacific Rim without the bullshit, so that sounds pretty a-ok.

If you can't understand the heavy handed symbolism in the movie of "people working together" going down to the robots themselves being piloted by two people in tandem then I think that even giant robot movies are too complex for you to appreciate.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Can't wait for Anti-Personnel 3DMG to be cosplayed at conventions and show watchers will be confused as hell as to what's going on.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Petiso posted:

I know some of you guys like to go out of your way to get offended by things but this is the first time I've seen someone straight up imagining something that didn't happen to get offended by it.

Unless you read a lovely translation that made up those dialogues, that's another possibility.

1 day old account that posted two topics trying to reply to this thread making terrible posts? Well I never.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Historia filling the traditional role of the shounen protagonist would own super hard.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Darn she's only 11th then.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Shadow0 posted:

The characters all are waaaay different than in the manga, with "Levi" being probably the biggest change and disappointment. It's a completely different character; I don't understand how you can change the name, appearance, plot, and literally everything about a person and still claim it's supposed to be them.

This actually means that they did the (2nd???) best character a favour and prevented his name from getting dragged in the mud by the live action movie.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Drythe posted:

Eren stepped up last time he had to fight Reiner and figure out how to not get hosed on the fly. A 50 meter tall rear end in a top hat on fire dropping in isn't exactly fair

If Annie wasn't stuck in a crystal she'd probably be regretting teaching Eren how to beat everyone who isn't her up right about now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kypdjk posted:

Am I the only one who did not feel that bad for Marco? Admittedly, he died a very gruesome death and what the trio did to him was terrible. At the same time though, had he done anything else other than directly confront them, it would have been a better outcome. He should have just reported what he heard to Levi and the captain and they may have been able to develop a plan.

All of this happened before there was even a consideration that there were traitors.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Yeah she just kinda fell asleep in a hole and then got covered in dirt and woke up when they camped nearby.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The standard glorification of the military, the cowardice of the civilians and the importance of the will to power is what made people initially see fascist undertones in AoT but its the whole reveal where the protagonists belong to a genetically superior, oppressed race fallen from its past glories and has enemies within and without that really makes people do the thinking emoji

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I'm really torn on thinking they're either gonna cut the human centipede scene from the anime or spend way too long on it. A real 50/50.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I'm happy that Anti-Personnel 3DMG was brought back for the purpose of murdering some dumb rear end Marleyans

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I don't get why people are freaking out about the destruction anyway. The guy declared a war of extermination and Eren decided to smush him along with others. They were going to kill off everyone on the island down to the last child and they're freaking out that the same is being done to them in a war for survival. Yeah it's heinous but it's not even an escalation since they declared war at Maximum Warcrime Rating already.

I'm going to guess that Reiner is the only one to understand that this was coming to them considering their actions on Paradis.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I was more pointing out that both sides are surprised at the carnage when the world just announced their intent to genocide a bunch of islanders and suddenly civilians are dying.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I hope he does and then just gets stabbed in the back for being a snitch.

Also what exactly is Reiner's plan for passing on the armoured titan anyway? One of those kids would get the full war crime experience from his memories and they'll probably snap and go hard in one direction or another between Marley and Eldian.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

but which titans can we date

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

all of them

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

^^
sorry to hear about your namesake being a slaver

EmmyOk posted:

I remember just hating how whiny Eren was and I want sure if I was supposed to dislike him or relate him. I remember Mikasa asking him if he was okay at one point and he started screaming at her.

Eren, Mikasa and Armin are all broken people and sort of inversions of the standard protagonists they're supposed to represent. But yes, Eren is a shitter.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Conspiratiorist posted:

Erwin is a badass.

I dunno, he's quite clearly supposed to be a terrible person

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Does season 1 still have just panning stills with like 2 minutes of dialogue in the bluray versions?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I don't know if they've ever shown an onscreen resupply of blades but they definitely do pass off gas canisters to the more skilled members.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hange owns. That she is voiced by Romi Park makes her own even more.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I still have a hard time praising Erwin because yeah he's brilliant but also incredibly ruthless and also named and probably modeled after a dang nazi. Just have a hard time trying to get behind the idea of "when humanity is threatened, we must look up to the dude who gives no poo poo about any individual human being's welfare"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The main cast very much cares about individual people. Mikasa is the extreme in that she only cares about Eren and Armin. Even Levi cares about the people under his command. Erwin has long abandoned the concept of caring for any individual even himself for the purpose of fulfilling his goals. Which yeah makes him terrifyingly effective but the real monster is humanity etc.

also gives no fucks about the coup planners one of whom is into some hosed up poo poo