Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Genocyber posted:

It does if you take into account the split personality thing he has going on. Reiner the soldier wouldn't know anything about it, but Reiner the warrior would.

Ohhh, I like this. This has been confusing me for a while--well, for as long as after I caught up 60 chapters (holy poo poo)--since it was all definitive from everyone he couldn't and yet language doesn't change that fast for in 60 years a new writing system to be developed even if it is just the other one in a different direction. Especially since, come to think of it, Marley and Eldia/the people on Paradiso use the same (current) writing system, right?

But speaking of the last two chapters, I'm way unsold on it. One, I'm surprised after failure Reiner and Zeke were allowed to live. And two, man, it's weird to have a four year time skip without our old protagonists. I mean, has Eren kept quiet about his revelation about using the coordinate power because he touched titan Dina for the past 4 years? How is Isayam gonna address that? Ah, yeah, that's right, there was another time skip after he got that realization and had more PTSD flashbacks after touching Historia for the medaling ceremony. When are we gonna learn about that. :colbert: And even then, I was enjoying Eren's increasing PTSD flashbacks and dissociation of identity as a result of regaining his fathers/Eren Kruger's memories. (Man, Kruger telling Grisha about Armin and Mikasa is such another great mystery hook. I wonder how bad Grisha poo poo bricks when he heard the Ackermans had a daughter named Mikasa and his son had made a new friend called Armin. Assuming that conversation itself wasn't a dissociative memory thing of Eren's of what his father told him before turning him into a titan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

HoneyBoy posted:

Ymir's transformation looked really loving sick

I was planning on giffing it, but I got sidetracked by the dude whose head goes donk against the roof of the hole he's pulled out of. I don't remember if that was in the manga--an odd kindness to him, regardless.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Turin Turambar posted:

I would have to reread that part. Because right now I don't understand why Ymir left Historia to help the other side sacrificing her life.

Because "playing goddess isn't so bad, huh," or something like that. I can't remember in what chapter Ymir lies on wall Maria with Reiner and Bertolt and says it, but I swear I remember it happening sometime. Not that it makes any more sense given her letter to Historia either, since it still seems like a regression of her character.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Conspiratiorist posted:

From earlier in the thread: https://imgur.com/a/EEGVD

And yes, for the Eldians, it appears that military service is the only way to get any measure of upwards social mobility and exceptional success means being chosen as one of the titans, which in itself means they'll spend the remaining 13 years of their lives fighting.

From the same interview:

Isayama posted:

In the past, I heard the phrase, "The rival who stands in the way of the main character is the form that the main character should never become, or the brother-like existence that he must surpass." I want to make Zeke a character who is in that position.

okay when did this interview happen. When did we first learn Zeke's name compared to when we learned he was Eren's [half] brother.

Still can't wait for the next/final Zeke-Eren confrontation though :v:

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Conspiratiorist posted:

It was before the basement reveal.

Re Zeke/Eren confrontation, I'm just picturing Zeke ordering his titans to attack, and to everyone's horror Eren countering with the Coordinate power to have them charge the Marleyan lines instead.

Exactly. Well, after Eren's gotten himself close enough to Zeke to touch him or something. But honestly, I'm more looking forward to Eren gettin' his rage on. It's been a while. The new season has reminded me how much I enjoy Eren's impotent rage, just as much as his PTSD after regaining his titan memories--man, he couldn't even enjoy the ocean. And the way that he had been behaving remarkably similar to how the Reiss family would, despite not actually being under the first king's control, what with the staring off into space, seemingly possessed by someone else, minor freakouts when the subject of the walls were brought up. I really miss that in the manga. That's the biggest thing I don't like about this new direction, besides the threads Isayama left hanging that surely would've been resolved during the timeskipping, but I agree that it seems like it's setting up for an Attack On Titan attack on Marley which also seems like it'd be pretty badass.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Schwarzwald posted:

The point in revealing Ymir's backstory when it does is to show that Marley's aggressions against the Eldian's (and specifically, the Eldian's behind the walls of Paradise Island) are not a new development, but have been ongoing and systematic. It ties into how the enemy has never been the wild titans, but has always been oppression.

Ymir's backstory also reveals that, after she had reawakened when she became a shifter, she found herself free of both her life of oppression and duty of playing the part of the Eldian savior figure. Free of hardship and responsibility, she had literally awoken in Paradise, which shows exactly how much she was giving up by going with Reiner and Bert. Ymir sacrificed her life in paradise for Historia and her people, and now the government of Paradise island is sacrificing the safety of it's walls to help the Eldian's--literally Ymir's people.

It's not that Ymir isn't or is no longer important to the story--it's that Ymir's story is the story. The reveal happening when it does clarifies this.

I think it also continues the nice parallel between the two as characters. Ymir gave Historia poo poo for abandoning her real name for her second lease on life while saying she didn't (and then we find out Ymir is a fake name given to her) (Granted she couldn't remember her original name/if she had one). She kept going on about living selfishly, wanting to live for only herself, but in the end couldn't help but sacrifice her own well-being to help others--just like she explains she did before in the letter. Historia, even after her own "I'm the worst, the enemy is the rest of humanity/(gently caress you dad)" revelation/spiel... ends up willingly choosing to take a new role to play as Queen instead of live her own life as Ymir wished, and then reads how Ymir had done the same thing.

It... actually, now that I'm thinking on it, makes me worried for Historia. Hope she ends up breaking her character cycle. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Balthesar posted:

Eren as the villain is especially interesting because of his internal monologue about possibly eating Historia and taking full control of the coordinate.

That was a misprint Isayama actually apologized about. He just has to touch a titanized Fritz, not consume.

I do love that the first thing that apparently comes to Reiner's mind, living on Paradis with the enemy, is Sasha's infamous potato moment :allears: And that he had to cover his mouth to hide his smile before he started talking ...And that he spins it into a tale fitting the supposed wickedness of those demon eldians in need of extermination, lest they invade with their potato-stealing ways and starve out the Great Empire of Marley.

And maybe it's always been this way, or since he/his aids have gotten better at art, but this chapter really made me take notice of the excellent use of communication through facial expressions. Frickin'.... reminds me of Jojo, or something, man. Reiner's forlorn expression before his tortured expression while concluding that his days spent with his comrades--fellow soldiers--were truly hellish, albeit for a reason the rest of the group may not realize.... I think spending enough time over island-side with his atrocities for him to dissociate into his Soldier personality did a lot to undo the brainwashing most of y'all seem to think this chapter has Reiner as Confirmed 4 Lyfe.

Reiner's mom's look also reminded me of Grisha's parents' when they learned that he hosed up and got his sister killed. That horrified "what are you saying/what did you do" look, before she starts her spiel to Gabi and then meaningfully looks at Reiner. Also, him being "abandoned" if my translation is right, makes me think that was another Rod Reiss thing scenario--like, he could have legitimized them, or at least Reiner, but chose not to. Wonder when it's gonna be his "it'd be better if I'd never been born" turn. :geno: