Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rei_ posted:

I just get frustrated over people who constantly jockey for 'Grimdark' appeal in shows, like everything has to be Warhammer. AOT is about struggle, and it's about the will to survive, and just because it's told incredibly well doesn't mean it's still not a manga.

If someone takes warhammer seriously, you can safely ignore everything they will ever say for the rest of their natural lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There isn't any evidence for titans reproducing via eating humans. For that matter, the only evidence of titans being produced in any way is via transformation. Either there is another, completely unexplained process by which titans are created (which is entirely possible), or it all comes down to transformation somehow.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 6, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
One problem I foresee with the anime is the scene where Reiner carried Armin while regenerating. It wasn't obvious in the manga, but I don't see how it could be anything else animated.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

c45 chat:

Focus on Mikasa and Armin's relationship was nice. It's not something the manga touches on often and it's quite sweet, really.
Mikasa crying into her scarf was... :ohdear: I just want to give her a hug and tell her everything's going to be alright. And to stop just shutting down whenever she thinks she's lost Eren, good God woman.
Hannes' "I've never seen [Eren] win [a fight]" amused me more than it probably should've. Oh Eren. Though I'm willing to give him the victory over Reiner, he earnt it.
Speaking of that, Hannes is in this chapter! And Pixis! And Jean! :woop:
One of the things I was worried about, after the spoilers, was that this would be spun out into a fullblown rescue arc and it'd be half a year before we saw any plot progression. But no, it looks like this should be wrapped up pretty quickly.

I'm not so sure. They are stuck in the forest, with nothing to do but talk provided Ymir manages to stop Eren from spazzing out. I don't think everything will be explained by any means, but we are due for some exposition and flashbacks.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hanji is pretty great, yeah. More than anything else, she believes in the cause of the scouting legion. She does whatever she has to to fight the war with the titans, be it treating captive titans nicely or threatening to murder a priest. She is sort of like a version of Eren who isn't a dumbass.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Toadsniff posted:

Keep in mind that the entirety of the wall is composed of colossal titans (we are to assume this is the case), which from the looks of it is miles and miles long or a couple thousand colossal titans maybe more. So at one point either everyone gave up their lives to become titans or the remaining humans captured them without telling anyone. Even after what Reiner said about "There no need to destroy humanity anymore" I don't think there ever was a goal to eliminate every last human. As for more undercover titans, there are probably more than we know or the members of the squad don't realize they themselves are mostly human-titans or at least have the capacity to become one.

It isn't clear how tightly they are packed in, but the area inside the walls is about the size of France. Only, there isn't just the one outside wall. There are the protrusion cities which are surrounded by walls and the two inner districts. It doesn't really matter how tightly the colossal titans are packed in. At a bare minimum, there are as many colossal titans as there are humans inside the wall. We are talking millions of titans here, possibly titans with human intelligence for all anyone knows. Annie alone was enough to kick the poo poo out of pretty much the entire scouting legion.

As for the number of human titan infiltrators, there are too many coincidences. Ymir had jack to do with any of the infiltrators, because she joined with Christa. The one thing every person in that class had in common was age. Either all of the ages lining up was a coincidence, or they joined because of Eren(there are lots of problems with this one), or else there is some significance to how old they are. Perhaps maintaining consciousness as a titan pilot is only possible for the young. If there is a time limit, then that explains why children were sent to knock down the wall.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Maybe, we'll have to see if any of this gang say anything. That would then make me wonder if the reason he wasn't treating Mikasa was because she's a secret-Titan too. Might explain her monster strength.

Eren doesn't have monster strength. If he did, maybe he wouldn't have lost fights so much. Mikasa seems to have some weird super strength, as shown by her breaking the knife and floor. But whatever is up with her is different from Eren's deal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

minimalist posted:

I dunno, this is a fairly impressive feat for someone of Eren's size and build, to be able to huck someone who weighs nearly as much such a distance, one-handed, while keeping a titan's mouth pried open. Maybe, like the titan transformation, he just needs the right focus.

Armin was light and Eren was on the verge of death. That seems like a textbook case of adrenaline allowing extreme feats of strength.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Autumncomet posted:

Is it a spoiler to mention Ymir's name in the anime thread? I mean, if they animate the flashback with Ilse, it's a huge giveaway but in the other hand I really don't want to say "Krista's freckled friend" and variations for another twenty episodes.

Probably. The encounter with the titan who said Ymir's name happened long before Ymir's name was revealed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The point of that scene wasn't to show how badass Eren and Mikasa were. It demonstrated the fundamental nature of Eren and Mikasa's relationship. Eren went and did insane, suicidal poo poo and Mikasa became emotionally dependent on him while saving his rear end. That dynamic has held true for their relationship for the entire manga.

Plus, it may have shown that Mikasa has super strength.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Having the blades be based on titans would be no more meaningful than the 3d gear using titan vapor as its propellant gas. What difference could it make?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The scouting legion might have experience on their side, but there is the little problem of how they keep dying while the military police spend their days not dying. Relatively few people join the scouting legion, for that matter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Popo posted:

They have Eren and, assuming Christa goes along, Ymir on their side. They also have Mikasa and Levi who are probably more valuable than both of those combined.

Eren has a mad-on for titans. He would never fight humans, because that would make him no different from Reiner and Bertholdt who caused the death of his mother.

Ymir doesn't exactly have the most impressive titan form.

3d gears are incredibly specialized tools. They are only worthwhile for fighting titans.

Even if Mikasa and Levi could by some amazing chance win 10 to 1 or thereabouts, the military police has a lot more than 20 people available.

Cannons exist, so firearms probably do too. The scouting legion wouldn't have much use for them, but if anyone has guns it would be the military police.

No one would believe the scouting legion over, well, just about anyone else. From the very first chapter they showed how the scouting legion unnerves the general populace.

The industrial zones are controlled by the government. Where would the scouting legion get the gas canisters, blades, horses, medical supplies and food to fight a war?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Eiba posted:

Eh. He's totally cool with putting down rabid beasts who happen to look like humans though. He's been at it since he was like 9 or something.

That was as a human. After seeing Annie in action, it would be strange if he didn't have an aversion to smushing dudes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
But really, it won't come to a revolution because SnK is well-written. Introducing a major conflict that none of the characters are equipped to deal with on any level is not exactly a hallmark of good writing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Pack it up people, Serious Frolicking has invaded this thread and set the rules for what will and will not happen in this series. His word is law, and he will brook no dissent.

The author has shown they have good storytelling chops. If a revolution happens, I am sure they can pull it off convincingly.

You are right, it will actually turn into a shounen cooking manga. Sure, none of the cast seems to give two shits about cooking and it wouldn't help with that little titan problem, but I'm sure they can pull it off convincingly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Skilled people like Mikasa don't have much trouble with single titans, but the problem is that there are never single titans. Titans come in numbers, they are relentless and humans get worn out and run out of equipment.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Titans don't always or even usually eat people alive and whole. They crush, chew and dismember most people before swallowing. I'd say that only around half of the titans we've seen are even capable of swallowing someone whole.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Why are you assuming that they originated from inside the wall?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There are lots of ways for people to live outside the walls, just not in the numbers found inside. A plateau, an island, underground, a smaller wall, etc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Judging by their rifles/cannons, they have at least a mid to late 19th-century level of technology (and that's ignoring all the weird technology that goes into their blades/3d gear).

edit: Modern-ish syringes also didn't exist until the 19th century!

It's my personal feeling that the world of Attack on Titan isn't meant to overlap with our world in any way.

Gun technology didn't really progress because guns are pretty lovely against titans. All of their technical expertise was probably devoted to developing anti-titan weapons for obvious reasons. The 3d gear is what they came up with, and those are only moderately effective against titans.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not sure which is worse, killing off popular characters for no reason other than shock value, or never killing any popular characters at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

So what I'm reading / theorizing is that someone (the royal family?) wanted to make a utopia, so they started making people into titans to make a threat against humanity, while also killing another bird with the same stone by using those titan people to make the walls themselves, giving them a safe, structured area to control completely (hence wiping out all previous records).

The humans that didn't wind up getting roped into the plan are the ones outside of the walls, maybe? And thus they are the good guys trying to undue the royal family corralling humanity for their own control.

People can be both victims and assholes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Titans don't digest anything.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was hoping there were fireworks there, yeah

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
don't even need a weapon. just walk and anything in the way gets wrecked. smaller titans are better at fighting, anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, poo poo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

From the sound of it, Paradis Island originally intended to go down a more Diplomatic path, but Eren forced their hands as in the end they were not willing to lose him, and the titans he had in him.

the possibility of a diplomatic path was closed before anyone in the manga was even born. armin's having trouble accepting that there is no peaceful resolution to be had, is all. can't really blame him, either.
marleyans can be communicated with and yet there is still no possibility of communicating with them because of ancient bullshit none of them can do anything about.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
marley's already ruined everything. people hate marley and they hate eldians who turn into giants and eat people on behalf of marley. maybe with an extended period of not being invaded by marley paradis could manage to distance themselves from the kept eldians and form peaceful diplomatic ties with other nations, but marley would never allow this. paradis' only options were to attack or wait to be attacked, and the latter is a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i meant marley would never give them that time. the invasion is coming, everyone knows it.