Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
I found it, the best panel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Elias_Maluco posted:

I was watching the anime yesterday and I noticed that, in the new credits clip, on that scene where we have everybody standing by a wall, everyone on the left side o the wall (Annie, Reiner, Berthold, Ymir and Christa) is a titan.. except Christa.

I wonder if it means something or its just a coincidence.

Also, the last episode was really good, probably the best so far.

EDIT: by the way, why they changed "Rivaille" to "Levi"?

Probably because "aille" in French makes a sound like "eye" in English and the usual l-r swap.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Missing Name posted:

Do we think the good doctor has been experimenting on himself as well? I wouldn't be surprised if we find out he has a mega titan form of some sort.

I have a feeling that SnK isn't going to go down the power creep road. The good doctor will definitely show up again, but I would be amazed if he was a villain or super-titan.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

dirty nub posted:

New Theory: The titans were created as a weapon by the royalty inside the inner most wall for some kind of world war. The titans basically wiped out humanity except for the people behind the wall so that the royalty could have absolute power. They built the wall and knew that they would be completely safe from the titans, however, some survivors of the war found a way to harness the titan power and are attempting to destroy the people in the inner-most wall. This could explain why the wall is made of titans and why there are people outside of the wall. Could also explain why Burt and Ernie won't just explain themselves to the protagonists. Maybe Eren's father discovered what was really going on and that's why he disappeared.

They went from being on top of the food chain in a civilization advanced enough to make giant magic flesh-mechas to being in charge of a bunch of uneducated peasants, confined to a tiny scrap of land, deprived of most critical natural resources. The walls wouldn't be keeping them safe, they'd be permanently condemning them to a pre-/early industrial age level of development. If this ends up being true, then AoT is just a cautionary tale of the Republican Party.

Also if Bert and Ernie had any real evidence or even hunch to go on, they could have either spread rumors among the populace or just straight up told Erwin that the royalty/cult are Literally Hitler. In fact, they could've done this at any time, especially after joining the Recon Corps. Instead, they breached the walls on two separate occasions and gave the extermination of mankind as their reason, unprompted. What reason could possibly be worse than that?

TL;DR: Bert and Ernie, even if they are being played like puppets, had a reason for their genocidal plan that doesn't boil down to For the Greater Good or (human) mental illness. From their perspective, it was a good reason, and it suddenly disappeared somewhere between Trost and now.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

MustelaFuro posted:

Curing titans would mean a much larger population;

More people, but also more territory. Right now, they're stuck in a pen and have fuckall resources. If they remember a single drat thing about the world before titans, they would be all over the cure because it means iPhones, cars and luxury they can't even conceive of.

MustelaFuro posted:

a population of people who could potentially utilize titan powers to overthrow them quite easily.

As opposed to the present situation, where two people can literally punch their way into their stronghold and let the titans chew them up.

Eiba posted:

That said, someone made the Titans. Someone wanted to kill off most of humanity, at the very least. In this situation, someone has to be really loving mustache twirling evil.

This is still speculative. We currently have no evidence that humans, or any sentient entity for that matter, created or unleashed the titans. We're assuming humans had a hand in things because it's a common sci-fi trope and we have literally nothing else to go on.

Eiba posted:

Bert and Reiner are even worse, though. Besides the hypothetical assholes responsible for the Titans in the first place, those two are the most horrific mass murderers in human history, and even if they didn't "really" know what they were doing the first time, they sure as heck knew the second time. Unless their mission is something like, "all the titans will be turned back into humans if we destroy the king's palace" or something there is no possible justification for what they've done.

Judging Bert and Ernie from the perspective of the main characters is pretty boring, though. It makes it really easy to miss the underlying dynamic that makes no loving sense. They were very much self-aware during their first attack on the walls, they openly stated that their goal was to eliminate humanity, and they gave it another go after infiltrating the military and becoming best buds with orphans of their own making. Then suddenly, somewhere between their second attack and their big reveal, their goal suddenly changed from exterminate all loving humans to kidnap Eren & Plot-chick and go home. Nothing about any basements, kings or wallbros. Remember, they completely blew their cover and revealed a ton of information about human-titans. Neither they, nor any of their allies, are getting another easy go at the walls.

There is absolutely no way the author didn't notice how absurd this sounds, so I'm willing to put money down on an even more :psyduck: conspiracy than anything proposed thus far.

e: as a side note, neither of them seem to be lacking empathy. Either they're operating from a non-human mindset that makes all discussion of ethics moot or their motivations were pretty drat solid from their perspective.

e2:

onepixeljumpman posted:

Berthold said something to Eren about them having orders to "break open the walls and kill all the humans inside." The walls acted as a barrier for humans, but the Titan people outside may have only seen it as a stalemate. Something must have changed for whoever gave that order.

This just shifts the above to someone else. Somebody came wanting to exterminate all humans and left wanting the world's angriest titan and a girl who may or may not know something or other.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm not saying that they can't be held responsible, on the contrary I fully expect at least one of them to die pretty soon unless there's some crazy forgiveness gymnastics about to occur, but there's reasons for them having reactions like they've had recently.

I'm pretty sure that everyone wants to capture them alive, if possible. Right now, they're the only two people who know why the entire wall-kicking thing happened. Annie is only tenuously connected and Ymir wasn't even suspected until very recently.

And speaking of wall-kicking, Bert and Ernie's plan is getting more and more ludicrous as I think about it. Why did they breach Maria through its strongest, most fortified point? Earlier in the thread, it was speculated that gates are the parts weak enough to be kicked/body slammed, but Annie effortlessly took chunks out of a wall with her bare hands as a side effect. Either they knew about the wallbros and wanted to avoid releasing any, or they were specifically after Shiganshina. After all, there's more than one sacrificial district, but they went after the one with the good doctor's lab in it, at the exact moment he left the city. Something between Trost and the reveal caused the stated goal to change from genocide to kidnapping Eren and him turning into the Angriest Titan is the only thing linking him to Grisha, assuming they didn't know about the key. At present, Bert and Ernie know about the basement and are currently drawing everyone who cares about it into dangerous territory, away from it.

The home/family of the protagonist getting flattened by the big bad is so cliche that it doesn't even register, but seeing as Isayama loves loving with the audience, it's possible that there was a lot more significance behind it.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Flying-PCP posted:

Not saying it wasn't part of their goal to destroy the house, but didn't it happen incidentally from all the building pieces flying around within the first few seconds of the breach? Of course a basement would be one of the most logical places to hide something from giants

I wouldn't assume they knew where the house was to begin with, or that the house was where the good doctor stashed his work. Under my :2bong: hypothesis, they knew Grisha lived in Shiganshina and was out of town. Flooding the city and the path to it with titans works just as well as physically smashing the house, if not better.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Flying-PCP posted:

The timing and location of the attack is certainly interesting, but I wonder what Grisha would have done if they had busted in while he was there? To assume that they needed him to be gone (based on the knowledge they had at the time, so nothing to do with Eren), requires more speculation about some kind of ace he'd have up his sleeve, or some reason why they'd not want to harm him

Grisha could have simply done what Eren did: calmly walk away with the contents of the basement. There was no way to predict that the house would get smashed or that a titan would show up and eat everyone trying to get near. They probably didn't know where Grisha kept his stash either. It's not a safe assumption that every mad scientist keeps his experiments under his bed, rather than in a separate lab.

Also, when Grisha briefly resurfaced to give Eren titanitis, he seemed in a rush, alone, and really, really insistent on Eren getting into the basement. I posit that whatever is down there, Grisha couldn't simply brew up another copy elsewhere.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Shadow0 posted:

Anyway, humanity hiding behind the wall for only a hundred years and yet seemingly forgetting everything except the one book that Armin has is kind of ridiculous. Like Star Wars Episode 3 -> 4 ridiculous. There are millions of people and it is barely two/three generations ago. I don't understand how only the wall cult knows about the millions of Jedi that existed only twenty years ago walls.

They didn't forget everything, apparently. They have a methane refinery and some fairly advanced metallurgy going on, and that's just what we've seen. The walls were probably put up without many witnesses, because you can't really convince several million people to completely ignore that the only thing between them and titans is more titans. How they herded/convinced the wallbros to do their thing is anyone's guess :iiam:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, this seems to be the case.

I mean, we wouldn't really know much about, say, WW1 (which was also 100 years ago) if we didn't actually have easy access to material put together by historians. And our grandparents aren't exactly eager to talk about the war(s) they've been on (I know that my late grandpa certainly never talked about his time as a soldier on the Pacific front*).

*Just as an interesting thing that isn't related to Attack on Titan other than it having to do with Japan, my other grandpa was far more fortunate in WW2; he was sent to Yale to learn Japanese! I took Japanese all four years of high school, and it was neat being able to converse with him in it. He only ever needed to use it once: A month or two after the war ended, a Japanese submarine was lost and ended up surrendering somewhere off the west coast (I forget where; I think off the coast of Washington state?). My grandpa and his fellow translators were sent on board, and he says that they just chatted about food/women/family and that the Japanese on board didn't seem particular upset that the war had ended. This same grandpa read/collected all sorts of sci-fi and fantasy magazines/books and didn't date anyone until meeting and marrying my grandma in his thirties (he wasn't bad looking at all either). Learning Japanese, being into sci-fi/fantasy, and being bad with women - the gooniest grandpa. I miss him. :smith:

Jesus Christ we found patient zero. :magical:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

ArchangeI posted:

Wouldn't this fall apart if an old person would go "Hang on, they told me it was a hundred years, and that was 60 years ago!"?

If it's a lie, then it would be in the other direction. Although I don't see any difference between 100 and 1000 years. Any number past 80 means absolutely no (human) first-hand accounts left.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Elias_Maluco posted:

100 years ago means you grampa might have heard about it from his grampa. The same cant be said about 1000 years ago.

Its quite a big difference.

There's fairly little effective difference, though. A hundred years can distort history beyond any recognition, especially if you have an authoritarian state going full Stalin on your rear end.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

People don't write things down or talk about stuff, got it.

I'm sure there's samizdat floating around somewhere, but it's quite clear that it's not legal. Talking about it may or may not be kosher, but the Maria culling took care of that pretty drat quick. Also, the Recon Corps is on top of these things and hasn't mentioned anything. Either it's not important, not true, or the state is really, really good at suppressing information.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

my dad posted:

I assume that the explanation for them not existing is "Ape titan climbed the wall and ate them all"

There's no water on the walls, nor is there an easy way to fertilize whatever soil you managed to drag up there while the titans weren't looking. Surviving in a post-apocalyptic city is hard enough, titans and extremely cramped parapets make it nearly impossible.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Schwarzwald posted:

Too bad Eren's mom wasn't.

This is going to be hard to top :thurman:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Thoren posted:

It's funny to think that loving Berthold is the iconic character that visually represents this series.

Yeah, this is legitimately my favorite reveal. He's not the comedy relief, or the hypercompetent newbie, or the hardened veteran. He's the blandest dude playing a support role for a more memorable character, he's just there for the entire time and then :suspense:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Sex_Ferguson posted:

His own buddy is more recognizable and memorable than he is and then BAM guess who's the biggest baddest dude? I gotta say though, I don't know if I still find Reiner hilarious or stupid or both for just out of nowhere telling Eren on top of the Wall, "UH hey, we're the guys that hosed your village, would you be cool with joining us it's no biggy."

Recon got suspicious of Bert, Ernie and Ymir once they realized they were from the same village as Annie. I'm positive that none of them overheard this, though, so I have no idea why Reiner panicked. :iiam:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

rubbe posted:

Is that a BLOW UP DOLL?

Yes, for 40cm fairies.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Winky posted:

I mean, let's face it, it's kind of a good deal. "We won't shatter the remaining walls and make humanity go extinct if you just come with us", I'd take that trade. Granted, Eren had absolutely no reason to take them on their word whatsoever and is also commonly consumed by incomprehensible rage and regularly shown to be highly irrational.

Yeah, but the Murder Buddha was within earshot. I don't think they thought this plan through very well.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Gyges posted:

Sorry, but it doesn't matter how hosed their situation or how drained their mental fortitude, there's just no way that anyone who's hung around Eren for as long as they have would think the truth was the way to go.

Yeah, I personally don't buy the simple stress-related breakdown theory. Reiner kept his cool under far worse situations, and he acted like he suddenly realized something. It's possible that their goals changed from extermination of humanity to something involving Eren during Trost, but they only fully realized it on top of the wall.

Also they're terrible actors.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
If they really wanted some padding, they could shuffle a few things around and address the wall cult before the wallbro shows up. In the manga they were just kind of there in the background as your obligatory Catholics, until the reveal.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
I just remembered that when The Angriest Titan was getting cannibalized in Trost, Ernie and Annie were the first to suggest helping it. Man, the little touches. :3:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm not reading a school comedy. gently caress that garbage.

I would read the poo poo out of it if Isayama was involved. Any kind of fanservice he touches turns to gold :swoon:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Darth Walrus posted:

There's also the way it's being strongly hinted at that feral Titans are ordinary people transformed into flesh-hungry monsters whilst remaining dimly aware of all the horrible poo poo the meat-mecha they're riding in is doing. Not only that, but going feral appears to be curable somehow. That adds a much more complex moral element to Eren's "MURDER ALL TITANS" schtick.

This doesn't strike me as that kind of manga. So far, only one human-titan was even remotely mentally stable and she had to eat a dude, who was most likely a human-titan already, to regain consciousness some undetermined amount of time later. Even if they could cure titanitis, they most likely wouldn't if it meant creating a potential human-titan and still sleep soundly at night. The fact that the humanoid thing trying to bite you in half was at some point in time human is going to be a moral footnote at best. Hell, it might instill an even greater fervor in Eren and the Genocide Corps, knowing that any titan out there might be capable to turning people into more titans.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Jackard posted:

Monkey titan is the Prince of all Saiyans

But who is Goku

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
It's really nonchalant about killing off named characters and mimicking dramatic tropes that would normally indicate the character's survival and then killing them anyway :unsmigghh:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Gyges posted:

I think most people all but forgot about the Armored Titan by the point that Annie was doing her Titan thing. Also I don't think anyone said what color the Armored Titan's armor was, so you were mostly free to fill it in mentally. Either way, no one really knew at that point how the Armored Titan's armor stuff worked and Annie was specifically said to be crystallizing, so there was even less to tie the two things together.

Personally I just mentally saw it as clear, like quartz.

Official art, fan art, the anime itself, all depict Ernie with a yellow carapace.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
^ Eren sparred with Annie before, same stance, same hair. It's fairly easy to spot in the anime.

Soulcleaver posted:

Female titan murdering tons of schmucks with super slick animation is still really drat cool even if you've been spoiled about her identity. The other big spoilers? Probably not so much.

I hope no one in the anime thread is dickish enough to definitively spoil Bert & Ernie (more than has already been done, I mean). As has been discussed before, banning the jerk in question would only confirm that their fun-ruining facts were accurate. Just be nice, people. :(

Ernie got called a few times already. No one will ever see Bert coming :getin:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Toadsniff posted:

poorly animated

:psyduck:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Hannes is actually the leader of the titan village and BRA have gone rogue. :mordin:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

JosephWongKS posted:

That covers Eren being "dragged into despair", but how about Mikasa?

Eren dies at the end of the chapter, turns out Armin was the main character all along. :getin:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
I accidentally stumbled on the list of episode titles on wikipedia and assuming they're accurate, the anime really will end on our favorite wallbro. :allears:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

PowFu posted:

Ymir was a guy's name.

If by "guy" you mean "primordial hemaphrodite from whose corpse the universe was fashioned", then yes. :v:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Soulcleaver posted:

I thought it was a reference to Botticelli's Birth of Venus. It wouldn't be the first classical art tribute from Isayama.

Did Saturn ever show up anywhere?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

LeafyOrb posted:

Still feels like we are building to an all titans are human revelation, it's so heavily foreshadowed at this point that I kinda hope it's something else just because. Then again every time I think the show is out of unexpected reveals it surprises me.

But then what about this dude

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Please, the simian appears quite calm and collected. There's no need for this outmoded discrimination based on faulty science. :colbert:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

oh i guess it's an edit

woops

No, that's an actual panel. The translation is correct and makes perfect sense in context. The Internet is leaking again. :v:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Squidster posted:

Watching the anime finale today, in conjunction with the recent manga first-transformation speculation that [spoiler]you gotta eat a dude to become sentient again, I'm thinking that Annie's first transformation involved her eating her mother, or someone who was very close to her. Her dad talked about making the whole world hate her - and matricidal mutants are pretty easily hated.

So, uh, where did the first sentient human-titan come from? And how does Monkey Trouble figure into all this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
I still say Ymir wasn't an accidentally chosen name and she's secretly the God-King of Titans. Monkey Trouble is just a concerned retainer. :v: