Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hodgepodge posted:

I would be surprised if we get many more human-titans from within the main cast at this point.

Thinking over Eren being Tiran-ified, his dad looks rather afraid and desperate in the flashback. Given the hints about what happens during one's first transformation, I suspect Dr. Jaeger may not have planned to survive Eren's first transformation upon being given the power. The scene also takes place in a wooded area, which makes me think the injection needed to occur somewhere where a Titan could appear unnoticed.

Or he could have just been planning to leave for a long time, of course.

The wiki says the injection took place after the wall fell, but I only remember the flashback? Maybe Eren was actually one of the titans that got captured, and the injection just made him human again? That'd be a good twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

He said "a" titan lady, this was before the female titan was introduced.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

LuisX posted:

Yup, I bet they are unknowingly killing babies and children. There was even a preggo titan on the tower battle.

Oh duh, I was actually wondering why the titans were all different sizes.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

LuisX posted:

This is the titan that looked like it is pregnant:

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c038/34.html

Right panel, on the left.

Or it could be a guy with a beer belly. The way the titan has the arms on its belly is what makes me think that.

It's a beer belly, the same titan is seen a few pages later ramming it into the tower.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

But then what about this dude

He was the lab animal they tested the titan virus with, and later got loose to infect the rest of humanity. You know it's going to be this.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Squidster posted:

It's pretty clear that the source of the Titan wave was Connie's village, and the bandits in the castle. Sure, there was Titan-chucking after the castle battle got heated, but I think the initial population were all fresh converts. "Welcome...back..." and all that.

I'm very curious about how the change occured. If Connie's village had converted piecemeal, instead of all at once, there would have been blood and bodies. I think that there's something added to the food or water in that area, possibly by the shadowy figures behind the titan trio or , which builds up until some external trigger catalyzes it.

But how? This doesn't seem to be a series that has 'magic spells!' or 'psychic!' as parts of it's vocabulary. I'm assuming it'll be a chemical or hypnotic response, but... how did the Titan in the castle basement get converted? He was literally locked away from any external influences.

The walking dead?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

JosephWongKS posted:

Also, the eternal question of "What the hell is in that loving basement?"

A 15 meter tall set of titan-proof armor.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My favorite part is the end when he just goes "oh man this is pretty cool!".

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I really hope that the monkey titan is played by Tim Curry in the anime. I don't even care that he doesn't speak Japanese.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Fantasy Tripe posted:

Eren is going to accidentally titanize Mikasa, calling it now.

And Armin, and Jean, and they have to eat the other 3 to regain their humanity. Calling it now.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I've always thought the injection thing was just a red herring, and he's been a titan all along.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Simstim posted:

Like Nelson Mandingo said, I think Levi's battle prowess comes down to superb technique and experience. I think he has a latent talent for dexterity but it's something more along the lines I'd expect from a professional trapeze artist. It's an exceptional talent but I don't think it hints at anything extraordinary about his body.

On the other hand, I think several characters have already commented on Mikasa's ridiculous strength. And besides the floorboard thing, her casually picking up Eren over her shoulder and carrying him away, once while in training and at least another time in a flashback scene I think are also hints at there being something more about her strength then has been revealed yet.

"All of the other Asians were wiped out for being ridiculously overpowered"

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Say Nothing posted:

The time period this is set in is an alternate version of current Earth, where the titans attacks begun in the middle ages, correct? This is why technological progress is somewhat diminished, so I'm guessing that nanomachines, utility fogs and other sci-fi Macguffins won't be part of the plot.

Nope, it's set in the future. If it started in the middle ages then we wouldn't have seen that can of herring earlier.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Say Nothing posted:

Cheat code.

And when he gets to the basement, there will be a giant neon sign with the words 'LEVEL TWO' on it.

It's going to be a book about CHIM.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, which implies that, if you wanted to map it against "real history", it would be at least mid to late 19th century (and probably later, given what you mentioned). But I don't really see any reason to assume that Attack on Titan takes place in the real world (or something that can be mapped to it in the sense of there being shared history, etc).

Except there is shared history, Sean and Bean were named after real people. Hanji said her story took place "500 years ago", which would set the series in 2100.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Seriously Safe posted:

I'm hoping Eren didn't accidentally awaken the titans inside the walls, or the people back home would be in deep poo poo.

They can't move because they aren't exposed to the sun.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

AOT was insanely popular at Comic con. There were tons of girls dressed as everyone but Eren (including some great "dead Marcos").

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Personally I love the idea that the rest of the world is fine, but they've just written off Germany because they're surrounded by giant monsters.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The series ends with all of the titans being sent to Namek, while Eren is horrified at all of the animal-headed people outside the walls.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mine had Eren screaming "WE are the walking titans!"

change my name fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 8, 2013

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Maybe they're giant fetuses made from stem cells? So no defining characteristics yet.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

TK-31 posted:

You know, in any other manga I would expect that moment to have been the first indicator that Erwin would snap and end up betraying the main characters for the power to become a titan and get his arm back.

Not here though, I expect him to continue being a badass.

Hey, maybe the bite was contagious....

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Tykero posted:

Then they combine the human-controlled titan-controlled robots into a giant multi-human-controlled-titan-controlled robot and

The last episode is going to have titan-titans throwing galaxies at each other.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Szmitten posted:

Seige on Saturn's Moon

Stupid speculation with the muv luv stuff because I had the same idea: The whole thing is actually about a colony of humans on a terraformed planet (which explains the geography), and the titans are biological mining/construction tools that have been taken over by the monkey titan. Eren has a "foreman" power that was normally used to control them.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hodgepodge posted:

It's pretty good at delivering twists and cliffhangers to keep the audience interested, and twists tend to be hinted in neat ways that make a second watch/read worthwhile.

Apart from that, well, it's a lot more visceral than it's purely generic counterparts. The main story is something like 65% done in the manga, if I remember correctly, so it also doesn't seem likely to have its narrative taken over by an endless cycle of fights and power-ups. It might have been interesting to see if it would have went in a more nihilistic direction had it not become so popular, though.

Everyone goes out in a blaze of glory trying to retake the wall, and the last panel is a pan to the titan factory with armies of titans still streaming out?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Time to throw out random wild dumb speculation: Levi gets shot in the back by Interior Military Policemen during the rescue mission, and in despair Eren activates his ability to solidify, because god knows that all of his current titan-related powers have manifested in his most desperate times (first when he'd lost two limbs and was in a titan's stomach, the second when Hannes had just been eaten and then everyone around them was about to die as well).

I don't see how that would help in any way though.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ytlaya posted:

So, I just realized a thing.

Why don't they create a moat outside of the walls? That would pretty much be a perfect defense against Titans. Water isn't really necessary; normal titans have no way to climb a smooth wall.

The biggest issue would probably be digging the moat without getting eaten, but at the very least they could make one around the inner walls.

They dug ditches in front of the gates (the covers come off during the Trost attack), but eventually they just filled up with titans and they started climbing out.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Needs a third panel with the tied up Armin getting groped. It's hilarious how quickly he gets knocked down.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I don't even get their plan; so they want Eren to harden in the wall's gap, sure. But how is he going to get out again?

change my name fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 12, 2014

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It could always be "killed", like he accidentally smashed him and the body got lost once the wall fell.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Forgall posted:

Was there any real explanation of how the whole "summon giant titan from thin air" thing works? I've only read manga starting from chapter where anime ended, maybe it was explained there better? My impression is that it's not just a fantasy world with magic.

NANOMACHINES IN THE AIR LIKE IN REVOLUTION.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zogundar posted:

Was it ever explained why so few Titans are female/have a female appearance? I remember early on the rarity of female titans seemed to be one of the many mysteries about them. At some point I forgot about it until this chapter.

I don't think it's just that females that become titans look male or androgynous, either.

My theory is on the titans being giant fetus things, which is why they don't really have sexual characteristics at all.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Kassad posted:

It's obvious now. The secret in the basement is a recording of All Along the Watchtower.

And then everyone was a titan all along.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm guessing that the humans in the walls are descendants of the titans who became the walls, hence the "ghosts" part.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Pretty sure those titans are all hosed.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

In It For The Tank posted:

And Bertolt just wants to be even taller.

And still ends up being kind of useless anyways.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

No mention of the fact that her father chose to turn her into a titan designed for combat? So there are specifically different types, and they can somehow manufacture different kinds of specific serums?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SchrodingersCat posted:

It's been established that Eren gained his power AFTER that event.

He obviously had the true power inside all along.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Phobophilia posted:

I'll have you know that the stage musical version of Naruto was extremely well-received.

Not as good as the Evangelion rap, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Still hoping for a "helicopter/spaceship/whatever advanced thing flies overhead and stops a climactic battle" scene. For some reason I'm expecting either this or the reveal that the rest of the world outside of the walls and a few other places are completely dead.