Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Serious question regarding the latest manga chapter:

Who here DOESN'T think Eren is going to flip the gently caress out and get people killed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That was some climactic rear end poo poo

I think that'd make a good ending for anime season 2

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Captain Invictus posted:

Aren't the author's political beliefs kinda hosed up?

While a military coup might seem like a terrible thing in general, when the fictional military is filled with all the cool characters and the fictional government is a bunch of corrupt greedy cloak and dagger shitbirds, it's pretty justified. See also: LoGH.

Plus, it's a monarchy. gently caress them!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I just read the chapter and one point of those spoilers isn't true. Eren turns Titan and takes a bite out of his Dad AFTER the mysterious injection.

At least, I think that's what happened. Isayama isn't exactly a top notch comics artist/storyteller, although he's good at coming up with story ideas

I like the part with Erwin and the judge guy realizing that ideals and poo poo are hunky dory, but really it all comes down to personal ego

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
SIE SIND DAS ESSEN WIR BIN DER SPINNER

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Wow, Zacklay is a loving weirdo, yall

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Whatever the situation is with the Titan infiltrators, I'm pretty sure that they aren't in the position of being fully responsible for their actions. Reiner was nuttier than a Payday bar and Bert seemed to constantly teeter on the edge of an anxiety attack.

I mean, whoever sent them may have legitimate grievances with the society inside the walls, but they're clearly not noble freedom fighters raging against the corrupt totalitarian regime because they sent a pair (trio?) of mentally verklempt children who could barely keep their heads on straight to do their dirty work.

Actually, thinking about the impression the big hairy ape and B&R give off, we might be looking at a setup for a comparison between the corruption in "civilized society" vs the degradation and savagery and unpleasantness of a straight up survival-of-the-fittest biggest dick calls the shots anarchy.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I really doubt Levi or Mikasa are going anywhere because they are the Thor and Hulk of the Survey Corps Avengers. They might not make for interesting characterization or plot, but without them everyone else would die (especially Eren!), and the action scenes would be way more boring.

Speaking of which I am positively drooling at the idea of seeing this episode animated

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That sweaty guy started acting the way that mid boss that eventually rises to the position of last boss should in this chapter, frankly

I don't necessarily think it'll happen, but if he's doing all this horrible poo poo out of a nihilistic sense of "Everything is terrible so I might as well follow this lovely agenda" he makes a good contrast to the Survey Corps and their struggle against the status quo. Combine that with the fact that he's responsible for Eren's mom being dead and voila~

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why is Annie called "The Female Titan" if there are clearly female titans, like the broad-shouldered, barrel-chested woman with a Black Hole Sun smile in this issue. Really Annie's unique trait is she's "The Female Titan That Actually Has Breasts."

The Japanese is 女型 which is literally "Woman-Type" i.e. she's physiotypically female so that's what they call her

I'm not sure if physiotypical is even a word though. My spellcheck doesn't think it is.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's funny, I've only watched like 1.5 episodes of Total Eclipse (garbage) and Schwarzesmarken (Kind of garbage, but in an enjoyable way, sorta like Black Lagoon with politics and alien bugs) and it's strange. I'm totally in love with the Muv Luv setting. The premise is neat, the timeline of the invasion is neat, the designs for everything but the characters themselves are neat...

...But I have no desire to play the games. VNs are bad, and the notion of having to play through a lovely gal game, and then a bad end to get to the real ending makes me question the sanity of people who enjoy the genre.

The ultimate Muv Luv anime would be a shockingly well animated 10 episodes long in the vein of those history documentary episodes of LOGH, except instead of doughy white dudes all the ladies talking about past events would be women with candy colored hair

Oh, uh, that chapter was okay. The twist was predictable. I like how freaked out Armin is at the notion of his life being saved instead of Erwin's.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

bondster posted:

I'm not yet sold on the OP song but the visuals (ESPECIALLY the ED) are the most :stare: yet

that T-Rex might be my favorite thing about this entire media franchise

animal titans when?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

There Bias Two posted:

Wait, wasn't it mentioned that the Titans are really, really light for their size? That would probably make them ineffective for a kinetic bombardment.

Light for their size doesn't mean they're light as a feather. They probably wouldn't be able to do as much damage as they do if that were the case.

A male adult killer whale weighs about 5-6 tons, at a length of about 6 meters. Even if it weighed half that, you could do a lot of damage dropping them out of a plane. And they take up less space than bombs!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Y'know before I was pretty convinced that the whole "Reiner is going to defect/encourage defecting in order to free the Eldians" was the direction things are going in but the brainwashing by Marley seems a little too thorough for that to be viable. At least, without a real come to Jesus meeting between the more open minded Eldians and the islanders.

Maybe he if he works with foreign powers to bring down Marley in exchange for Eldian liberation? That seems crazy but who knows whether or not the rest of the world views the Titans themselves as a scourge or if they recognize that Marley are the ones using them militarily

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I had a thought earlier: do we ever get any confirmation that the Titans really dominated the continent for a thousand years or whatever, like it said in Grisha's letters? I really wouldn't put it past Marley to basically come up with a bullshit excuse for using the Eldians as expendable resources, especially if they had access to the memory rewrite powers (prior to the Reiss family going to Paradis)

Not that I wouldn't put it past the ancestors of our cast, but much like in real life, I have a hard time taking anything that lovely jerks say at face value

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This chapter makes it sound a bit like there's going to be a setup to make the Paradisians look like they're responsible for an international incident, which might be an excellent opportunity for an incognito Eren to intervene and throw egg all over Marley's face.

Like, in political terms, the world is pissed off at Marley because they're the ones using the Titans as superweapons. Their beef with Paradis is hundreds of years old, which is long enough for even the most firey outrage to cool off. It might seem a little cut and dry as a solution goes, but if they can expose a Marleyan attempt to kill a bunch of diplomats as a means of constructing a pretense for invasion, they might be able to guarantee a meager degree of safety for any Eldians who have the sense to defect.

or maybe i've been reading too much kingdom

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gantolandon posted:

I recently tried to understand warrior/soldier dichotomy as presented and it seems to me that its translation made it a bit unclear. When presented in these words, it seems like the infiltrator trio were some plucky irregulars as opposed to parts of organized military - the manga clearly proved it's not the case. The words used in Japanese original are "senshi" and "heishi". Both are used to present a person who fights in a war, but when the latter means your usual schmuck given a weapon and told to kill enemies, the former is a bit more similar to an elite fighter or a war hero. It's someone brave and courageous who lives to fight and is ready to take insane sacrifices to defeat the enemy. Which makes perfect sense given who Berthold, Reiner and Annie are - they gave up everything, including a possibility to live normal lives, for their country. They are the perfect fascist soldiers. The twist is that Marley secured their loyalty by filling them with self-hate, ensuring they are not able to live normal lives and holding their families hostage.

I think it's just meant to indicate that the Eldian warriors under Marley's direction are an irregular force with a limited hierarchy (with Zeke seemingly being the most heavily indoctrinated, so he's the one who keeps an eye on the others and calls the shots) whereas the army inside the walls is... uh, an army.

Just another part of how THE MAN is keeping the Eldian brothers and sisters down. Soldiers are officially recognized employees of a legitimate governing body. Designating the Titan shifters as "warriors" really gives the impression of 1) Eldians aren't a real part of society so they're kept separated from everyone else even when serving the same purpose (fighting wars) 2) The Titans are just weapons, not troops. Throw them at the enemy and that'll do. Don't give them a rank, don't give them pay or benefits above a minimum level, and don't give them any ideas about being able to further their station in life beyond "slightly less oppressed"

To put it differently, the Titan snifters are government sponsored terrorists and Zeke is the CIA agent managing the whole nightmarish enterprise

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
In a way, Warhammer and Zeke spilling the beans on the "truth" right before whatever happens happens is just gonna make it easier for the Islanders to make this work for them, in terms of information warfare. Sort of a "WHAT ELSE HAVE THEY BEEN LYING ABOUT?" deal where they can point out, rightfully, that Marley has been trying to retrieve the Titan powers to use in war instead of "bring an end to the dastardly scourage of robble robble robble"

This is assuming they have a plan beyond killing everybody. Between Armin, Hange, and Levi I'd like to think they'd know better than to just wage a war for fun and revenge.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 7, 2017

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This is probably a premature thing to say since I can't real Hangul, but I'm kinda disappointed. I was hoping we'd get to find out what exactly the gameplan is other than... the obvious part of it.

That being said, the way that he apparently waited for a literal declaration of war before making his move makes has made me relieved in the "Please don't just be doing some harebrained revenge poo poo Eren" department

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
At this point the only characters I have any hope for, in terms of them not living life waist deep in blood as a brutal killer...

I guess Falco? Gabi seems a little too gung ho, she might be too far gone already.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Haven't people been reading pro-fascist tendencies into this series for a long time now? Adding an ethnic spin on that doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

While there's pretty obviously some Nazi-regime inspired gimmickery around the story of the Eldians and the Marleyans I don't know how you can look at it and go "THE ELDIANS ARE BEING MADE TO LOOK LIKE THE BAD GUYS AND ISAYAMA THINKS THEY DESERVE IT BECAUSE THEY'RE JEWS" when the first 22 books in what is currently a 25 book series are 100% sympathetic to the rebel Paradisians with no ambiguity at all. And it's not like that changes after the timeskip, it just gets more complicated.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The question of what really happened in the past is a kinda interesting one to me, because the presence of the Titans and their powers adds an element of myth that just murks up the already-tends-to-be-murky nature of history.

I don't doubt that the first inheritors of the Titans reacted to their superhuman abilities by going "Y'know what'd be great?! Total domination over all other peoples!" but all this poo poo about a divine blessing and King Fritz willingly deciding to just gently caress off to an island out of the goodness of his heart and whatnot is probably about as true as titans having scoured all of mankind except for the inhabitants within the walls

And I don't think anyone is saying that Paradisians are saints. I kinda don't see how they could be, considering they've been living inside a deeply militarized pressure cooker under assault by giant zombies ruled by a bona-fide secret police-equipped conspiracy for a few hundred years. But at the end of the day, this conflict basically boils down to "The people who want to be free" VS "The people who want to murder and/or enslave all the people who want to be free"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If it goes that way, sure

But it'd be pretty stupid of them to jeopardize any chance they have at the freedom they're so hungry for by picking a fight with the entire world

Even Eren isn't that stupid. Once he's convinced that the fight against Marley is over, he'd probably spend the rest of his short life getting bullied by Mikasa into some sad parody of domesticity

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
After finally reading the official TL of the chapter, I got the feeling that however the story shakes out at the end, any of the core cast who survives are going to wander off into the wilderness and spend the rest of their life living like how Rambo does between movies

Eren won't be one of them, though. He's resigned himself to whatever small satisfaction he gets from satisfying whatever vague concept of revenge still exists in that simple brain of his at this point.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
With better knowledge of the full situation, I don't think Eren is quite as stupid as I initially thought he was for launching his little solo mission. Considering the the existing plan seems to amount to using Titans as deterrents (which they don't actually have a mastery of) until Paradis can modernize, and in the meantime they do the same heinous poo poo the old guys in charge were doing, the reaction of "NAH gently caress THAT" is a bit more justified.

Granted, he may have made things worse by going off and launching a solo attack, but y'know, at least I can see that he did it for a reason other than "RARGH VENGEANCE"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Ccs posted:

I also think it’s a bit dangerous to keep drawing comparisons between fiction and reality. The author has clearly taken inspiration from both Japanese history and the plight of Jewish people and mashed it up a bit. But it’s more interesting to judge the actions of these characters in their environment instead of trying to figure if the work is some ploy to further nationalistic ambitions in the real world, or has a direct analogue, etc.

This gets into issues of whether authorial intent even matters, etc.

I think another factor is that it's hard to say what the point is since the story isn't over yet. Given all the mutations it's gone through from back when it was just a story about "We want freedom from flesh-eating giants" there's no telling what note it'll end on

Of course, that means it could have some hosed up ending too, whether the hosed up part is some questionable real life thematic stuff or just ending on a super nihilistic and depressing note.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Tenzarin posted:

Lol, that last set of panels. I have no idea what to expect but drat that was so weird to see happen.

I still want another flashback chapter to have Reiner explain his thoughts, but I doubt we will get anything more than a warrior therapist during a fight.

I think Reiner is just done mentally, and is solely motivated out of a sense of guilt/obligation at this point

Conversely, something about Eren in this chapter made me 100% sure that he hasn't been taken in by Zeke. The idea of being this fired up, this fierce about a plan that basically amounts to "no more babies" seems too incongruous, even for someone who's head has always been stupid and mixed up.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Something about the latest chapter gives me a real strong "This could actually end within a year or so" vibe. Eren's agenda is going to be revealed soon, which will either be the climax/coincide with the climax, and then there'll probably be a bit of fallout and epilogue, that'll be that

also man zeke really gives that "I threw a rock at him" line from Batman the Animated Series a new connotation

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Is Gabi what Tomino was trying to do with Quess? Because if she is, Isayama is a lot better at war stories than he is

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This chapter reminds me of the part in Muv Luv where Shirogane and sexy doctor were talking about alternate dimension cause and effect while driving down the highway

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So people predicted the broad strokes of this turn, but not the particulars, which gives me hope for the actual ending at this point

Because how do you destroy a rotten status quo? Other than with giant-induced earthquakes that will just get blamed on a specific population, I mean

If he cares enough about freedom to ascend to the astral plain in order to help a progenitor titan shake off her 2000 year old mental shackles, I doubt he's going to just kill everybody. Death ain't freedom! Unless you choose to die

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So is the big question at this point who is going to drop the hammer on Eren?
Likely canidates include Gabi (another turn on the wheel) Armin (kinda his job), Jean (I'd like it), Mikasa (Seems dubious) and now Levi (hell of a final act) and Annie (Pretty good "redemption")

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Mulva posted:

I mean the most controversial would be "Eren literally wipes out all life outside the island and it actually makes things better".

Define "better" in this case, because even putting aside the culpability of nations that aren't Marley and their allies, I'm pretty sure that the Titans aren't just gonna magically smoosh only human beings with selectively permeable feet, so it'd be a pretty severe geological disaster too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That poster for the final season is some good poo poo