Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its interesting that Titans are basically battleships and are rapidly running out of useful ability as technology advances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Surely with the way its going the last chapter of the manga will just be a reprint of chapter 1.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gantolandon posted:

I think Eren may be holding back for a similar reason why Annie did during the Female Titan arc. His entire reason for the Rumbling was keeping his friends safe. He can't bring himself to slaughter them all, not to mention it would make him kill most of humanity for nothing. He tries to overwhelm them and break their spirit with shock and awe, hoping to make them flee or at least stall them until his job is done.

It seems that the best solution in this case would be to take away the others' ability to turn into titans, but the last few panels suggest he can't. Titans were always built by the only inhabitant of the Paths, Ymir. Now it seems Zeke sits there and he's clearly building something – I wonder what this might be?

A mech for Levi.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think the scene with the eldian and marley survivors still gunning each other down shows what will happen even if Eren is stopped.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Theres a non zero chance this is the ending and it would make me lol.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Not this cour.

Wouldnt be the first time the anime changed things around.

The headshot would be a very good place to end part 1, with the post credits being the weird loving centipede poo poo bursting out his spine.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The forced injections only take effect when people are kicked off the walls. I would assume from that the pain of hitting the ground after being kicked off a 60 foot wall triggers the transformation. Much like how the shifters biting their hands triggers it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ok who called it was going to be a lelouch ending, because its 100% going to be a lelouch ending.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
All this is immaterial. The final page will be Falco asking Gabi out and Gabi completely misunderstanding it again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
A princess primarily used as a plot device for the main character who pilots a mech in a story about how war is bad?

This was a gundam series all along.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bleck posted:

how long until we're allowed to acknowledge that if this is how it actually ends then the series has flipped all the way back around to jingoism

I mean have you actually read any of this?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bleck posted:

I sure did just read the past forty pages of all of the military children banding together and using their military training to kill a guy with a nuke

I bet you think Starship Troopers is pro military too don't you.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I love it when dumb people think they're smart.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Eren is being controlled by the people abusing Mappa staff.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You have to really go looking but I suggest you don't. Half of them are obviously fake.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Turin Turambar posted:

poo poo, already? Sure are not fakes?

Its out on the 9th.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

GodFish posted:

Do we know when the chapter comes out?

Tuesday. Not sure when the translations will appear.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

bees x1000 posted:

how the hell do you wrap this up in one chapter

Huge timeskip and an Armin monologue for 500 pages.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I was gonna post a few days ago that this is the make or break chapter for the series. It all needed to be tied up and instead we got, I dunno what this is. The worm thing hasn't been explained enough and it feels like half the open plot points have just been forgotten.

Everything felt so rushed this chapter because they had no time to expand on anything new.

Really weird decision.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Attack on Paradis debuts in 3 months.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I mean we're assuming Isayama is actually going to tie all this stuff up. He could have just forgotten about Historia at this point.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Saagonsa posted:

The headshot wouldn't really be good as the (basically) season ending cliffhanger. Like, it'd be funny but it's something that is resolved so quickly it'd feel extremely cheap to have to wait nearly a year for that.

I thought they'd end it at the headshot too, but take it up a notch and just have the walls fall apart and the rumbling start before having the ymir stuff as the first episode of the next season.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I can't believe Eldians are actually Titanized Borrowers.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Once again think we need to wait for translation.

Ohhhhh this is going to cause a lot of drama.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
We were all so prepared for the Lelouch ending we never saw this coming

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think Isayama might have some issues he needs to talk to a professional about.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Some shoddy scanlation here: https://imgur.com/gallery/tynyWkM

My thoughts Its...not as bad as the leaks made out but ehhhhh not what it could have been.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The more you read it, and then read back the last 20 or so chapters it just gets worse. Did he have a week to go to the deadline and realise he hadn't actually written the ending or something?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah theres also that: Paradis seems to end as a happy fascist nation, and everyone seems ok with that

All those people who always said AoT was fascist propaganda will feel confirmed

I really dont know what to think about that

Might have to apologise to Polygon at this rate

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

I mean, Ishiyama said he "wanted to write a story without villains" and the central theme was "the world is cruel, and it is beautiful." Given those two facts, I don't see how it could have ended up otherwise?

This kind of reminds me of The Last Jedi backlash (a movie I also really enjoyed), where people got mad but were really bad at articulating why they didn't like it. Some were just chuds, but others were upset all the throrycrafting they did between movies was rendered pointless.

In this case, I feel like people were really wound up by the "aot is fascist apologia" hot takes and wanted the story to end on a strong denunciation of fascism and... it didn't do that. It ended on the note it always did: the world is beautiful, people suck a lot, but we're gonna keep muddling through and surviving anyway.

I think a lot of people dislike this ending for the same reason a lot of people disliked the last jedi.

Its just not as smart as it thinks it is.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

bees x1000 posted:

the 5 extra pages are birds eating the titanworm

I would believe that tbf

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its going to be 5 more pages of side characters thanking Eren.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Guardians of the Galaxy villain wanted to genocide his enemies because they're his ancient ancestral and cultural foe or something. We lack the full context for Ronan the Accuser's crusade, only that he believes himself to be the last vestiges of true Kree culture and that the deaths of Kree people in a previous war must be properly compensated for by the mass slaughter of the people they were at war with.

Which to be honest, is arguably a better motivation than what we appear to have gotten from Eren, if we apply it to Eren.

The victory of Guardians of the Galaxy is that they stop the planet from being destroyed, but probably didn't quite manage to save everyone (I imagine a couple of hundred to thousand died in the attack by Ronan on the planet in question), but they did so through teamwork and successfully overwhelming Ronan with the power he intended to use to destroy.

Wasn't 2017 Guardians 2 and the bad guy planet?

Although seeing Jean do a dance off to beat Eren would have been better than what we got.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Can't believe Isayama is already making it worse.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
An Eren wakes up from a bad dream ending in modern day Tokyo would be loving amazing

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Could be Isayama just had a breakdown over the pressure and it came out as whatever this ending was. Or this was always the ending. Who knows. Its bad and thats all that matters to me.

I dont think its been fiddled with. If that was the case it would have happened much earlier and been more apparent.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I hope we get another 5 pages in a months time to keep this train rolling.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I can't believe it just keeps getting worse.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Aren't we overdue another 6 pages of nonsense to make the ending even worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

YF-23 posted:

So within this page I see someone say that there's no such thing as an anti-war movie and immediately backpedal in their next post, someone accusing people who think there's a valid fascist interpretation of AoT of raiding this thread from a discord server, and someone referring to them as deranged lunatics. Is this arguing in good faith?

This isn't D&D, but more importantly this is like the 527th time someones come stomping in with a steaming hot take after reading the polygon article and a few tweets. There's literally an example of it on this very page which is literally disproved 2 posts later but it will never, ever stop.

But basically it comes down to this for most of us

hatty posted:

I don’t think the ending is fascist I just think it sucks and I have no energy to defend it against bad faith readings