Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

AshB posted:

I wonder why Bert and Ernie were trying to capture Eren instead of straight up eating him for his power then. They specifically said Eren is the worst person to have the coordinate ability.

There is probably a specific person they want to give the ability to, and if they ate Erin then they would have to be eaten themselves to pass it on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

Listen, just tell me what happens.

I think we would rather make fun of you for being a big baby.

The short version is that the series isn't over. A lot of stuff happened that mostly won't make sense to you out of context. Bad people die, good people die. There are some titans.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Broseph Brostar posted:

Maybe I have bad taste, but spoof on titan is pretty lame.

Right there with you buddy.

Caros
May 14, 2008

my dad posted:

Hah. So this chapter is saying that we need diversity to protect ourselves from ignorance. :haw:

Unfortunately, I think Historia is about to be killed.

Yeah, I have to say, reading this it looks to me like Historia is about to get straight up murdered by the rest of her friends. Eren might be resolved, but if they show up in time I can't see them just standing by and letting Eren get eaten.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ActionZero posted:

I apologise in advance for what I have just created.

:vince:

Caros
May 14, 2008

hatty posted:

That’d be kinda unsatisfying, Lelouch ending would be dull and predictable,

And dumb as gently caress. The idea that the rest of the world would treat them like hero's instead of doing everything in their power to turbo genocide them is a bit much.

The whole point of the God emperor or lelouch ending is that you can point at one person and go 'that is the problem', which doesn't work when the rest of the world was already incredibly bigoted against titans.

Caros
May 14, 2008

DamnitGannet posted:

I think the ending makes more sense if we're using Terminator time travel rules, in that Eren foresaw this being the only future because he already fuckin' did it. Maybe he should have let some other people in on his plan so they could have been like 'wait, what? no that's dumb.' It's all very :discourse: that way and proves why it was a bad idea to give a traumatized teenager time traveling abilities.

Yeah, the whole thing makes a bit more sense if viewed as a single closed loop. Eren forsees a future where he murders most of humanity, but he was always going to murder most of humanity so his ability to forsee was just him seeing what he'd have done even without time travel bullshit.

Him deciding to murder most of humanity to protect Paradis is entirely within his already fairly broken psyche, after all. The reason it sucks is that the ability to foresee the future and all the lead in with grisha etc suggested that Eren was able to parse alternate possibilities and look for a good end, or at least be aware of the bad ends.

But then you have mikasa's vision of the two of them running away together, so it seems like he can see alternate futures, so who loving knows.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Depths posted:

Looks like the lesson at the end is that 80% is NOT enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6VjPM5CeWs

Seriously. What the gently caress is the moral of this story. What am I supposed to take away from it?

Remember when Zeke realized life was worth living and that his plan was bad, only for it to turn out that his plan would have led to roughly the same outcome without hundreds of millions dead?

Good times.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eren being the father also carries a ton of thematic weight that could have strengthened the ending.

Intergenerational violence and sin are huge themes, to the point that the main late stage villain other than Eren has a plan to commit genocide explicitly by preventing children from being born.

Eren having a child on the way would be just one more explicit refutation of Zeke's ideology.

I think the best 'alternate' I came across was Eren using the warhammer titan to manipulate the whole thing from Paradis, that he was never in the ribcage titan at all. They decapitate Zeke thinking they have their chance to stop the rumbling and he just touches Historia or his newborn and finishes what he started. He finishes the rumbling, maybe spares the small group his friends were fighting to protect, then closes the paths and fucks off into the crushed empty world, knowing that his continued presence on the island is only going to cause people like Annie and Reiner to kill his friends or die trying to kill him.

It's a grim ending, but I'd rather the story have gone full 'the villain wins and life goes on for those who remain' than the half measures 'He got 80% then let his friends lelouch him, but even that doesn't matter.' that we got.

Eren telling his child 'you are free' in that context is hopeful and depressing at once. A solid mix for a grim end to the story.

Caros fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Yinlock posted:

it's kind of muddy how deterministic the deterministic poo poo was, but yeah I'm not sure what Eren would've even done post-Rumbling. Being only truly happy when he was exercising his godlike power via genocide, and there being nobody left to genocide except Paradis, probably would not have boded well eventually.

Presumably died. He was getting close to the end of his stint as it was, so even if no one offers him I assume he would have died of old age. I definitely don't see him turning his eyes to others.

Eren never showed a hint of hatred for the people of the island. He hated the titans, and then that hatred extended to the people who lived outside in part because theor existence ruined his idea of freedom, of a safe world where he could go anywhere and see anything. Once they are tomato paste i always just assumed he would wander off into the wilderness to die.