Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
That was awful. I actually want to volunteer for MangaCurse just to be a grammar coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
They should have just went with "March of the Giants." Using Titan instead of Giant just doesn't feel right.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
So the smart Titan is one of the Scouting Legion people, right?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Frome posted:

The people translating are the blubbering children

I dunno. Seems like a pretty specific group translates Shingeki no Kyojin. I'm grateful for their work.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Did Annie command any of the other brainless giants around her? It's clear that Sasquatch intended for his orders to be followed when he commanded that one giant eating that scouting legion guy.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

codeorange posted:

I wouldn't go as far as to say taunting the titans to cannibalise her really counts as calling for aid. Sasha said it best: it was more of a desperate howl than anything. It's interesting however that the titans cannibalised Sasha's titan form. She's probably a human that's been given the ability to turn into a titan. She did see Eren's titan form get eaten, maybe she used this information to her advantage.

I'm leaning towards the idea that Annie is part of a faction that comes from within the human race turning into titans, instead of her being an infiltrator of the outside-titans. It would be such a cliche if these inner-titan transformers were fighting for the good of humanity.

Thoren fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 14, 2012

Thoren
May 28, 2008
One of two things will happen.

1. The humans at the tower are absolutely hosed.

2. The new pack of Titans approaching will clash with the current titans siegeing the tower.

It'll be drat good either way.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Holy gently caress. You really get a sense of size, of scope. This is fantastic. The animation is incredible!

Seeing the 3D-GEAR in motion is an experience beyond anything that can be captured in the manga.

I almost want to stop reading the manga and just wait for the anime. (That's impossible, of course.)

Thoren
May 28, 2008

HelloWinter posted:

Why not do both?

The animation looks pretty spectacular from the preview. I'm looking forward to this!!

Oh, I will do both.

It's just that seeing the series and experiencing the storyline for the first time in full animation would be awesome.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I'm still surprised Ymir is a woman.

This series has some really amazing female characters.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Wandering Knitter posted:

I just caught up with this manga today and Jesus Christ what the gently caress did I just read. :stare:

Welcome to our hedonistic hell.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The titans are the true combatants of this war. Humans are just being used as a tool of defense by the city titans.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Nighttime is loving terrifying.

I can't wait to see that blind night search in the anime.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
A really cool plot path to follow would be giving the humans some sort of ability to detect who a titan is in the future.

poo poo would really hit the fan then.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Does every titan have a human inside of it?

If so, that's like a massive loving titan-genocide that happened.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Wandering Knitter posted:

I think the "stupid" ones are humans that changed but lost control of themselves. Maybe they're all dreaming they're in a nice warm home safe and sound. :smith:

Oh poo poo. That reminds me of the zombie horror manga "I am a hero." It's revealed that (minor spoilers) All of the zombies are people put in these bizarre states of hallucination/dreams where their actions in the dreams cause them to act zombie-like.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Jackard posted:

When does it reveal this? I read up to him meeting the girl in the forest before tiring of it,, all I remember is that they mindlessly parrot behaviors from their former lives

Pretty much what Ghost of Babyhead said. Those 'zombies' are probably some of the most interesting zombies ever thought up.

Anyways, back to Titan Talk :)

(I don't want to ruin any more of that manga for you! It gets really good though!)

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Goddamn Ymir is one ugly Titan. Is she... is she going to die?!

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Goddamn it Eren get to your dad's house already I don't want to wait five more years to see what's down there goddamn.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Simstim posted:

I hope Ymir wakes up and they have a battle royale, Eren and Ymir on one side with Reiner and Bertholdt on the other side.

Hate to break it to you buddy, but I'm pretty sure Bertholdt is mincemeat right now.

Do we know why the titans want Eren so badly?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Of course it was subdued. they planned for it.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that Ymir was one of the titan conspiracy's failed projects. She lost control when they tried making her a 'pilot', escaped, and spent time roaming with the feral packs before regaining her sanity and rejoining civilisation. This would explain both Ryner's flashback and how small, deformed, and imperfect her Titan-form is. She's a self-taught reject.

I don't think so. Remember the random Titan that referred to her as "Ymir-Sama" a while back?

Could that titan have been remembering her as a titan or a human?

How would it recognize a human form Ymir?

It seems that something out there turns humans into Titans.

1. Ryner, Annie, and Bertholdt could not return to their village.
2. That village randomly began turning titanized recently.
3. Ymir has has titans that recognize her. Maybe they were humans from her village? Where was Ymir from again?

Thoren fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 15, 2013

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I am so hard right now.

Fiancé still confused over my love of this series.

Some people just refuse to leave that inner wall.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I'm betting that most of their training involves a lot less than that.

More that likely Eren gets beaten or he learns how to make bone armor.

What manga are you reading?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Eren will get a powerup someday. It will just be unorthodox as hell. And probably won't resolve anything.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Cthulhuchan posted:

If anything, it will be an indirect one, like learning to not fight like an idiot.

Seriously, you don't have to throw haymakers all the time...

It's weird how Eren loses all his fighting skills in giant form. The female giant mimicking Annie's fighting style was my favorite 'tip off' that I don't think anyone here got until after the reveal.

Well, besides the most recent one, in which their goddamn faces were similar.

I guess we've gotten so used to manga where characters all look the same.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I wouldn't mind a gray area. Having the human-titans blend into humanity so well almost makes you feel pity for them. Their perception of humanity is clearly hosed, too. At the same time though, the poo poo they did is unforgivable. The foreshadowing looks like this might apply to humanity as well. It's kind of like how even if a murderer does amazing things after the fact, he or she will always be a stain upon the earth. in AOTG the question really is: Who's the stain and who is the janitor?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I don't really agree that someone doing something terrible makes them a permanent "stain upon the earth." Particularly in the case of Reiner and Bernholdt, committing some terrible crime at the age of 10 (I think?) doesn't mark someone as a bad person. That being said, killing/trying to kill their previous companions like they've done just recently is terrible and makes them pretty bad.

Terrible crime is an understatement. They jeopardized the very survival of the human species and their actions led to the death of many people. Even the "child soldier" justification falls flat for a crime like that.

In short, motherfucking Titans need to die :colbert:

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

Most of these points have been debated already so I want both harping on my disagreement, but I'd like to point out that it's most likely that they were not endangering the survival of the human species by destroying the wall. The human-titan faction most likely exists outside the wall. Unless they're complete crazies they have to have a reason for destroying the walls and seeking the end of the civilization within that doesn't endanger their own existence. It therefore stands to reason that they, as humans, could carry on civilization and species once the walls are all destroyed.

Unless there ends up being a big twist on that front that throws the most basic logical assumptions out the window of course. Which is possible.

You make good points. I guess I'm just closely tied to the human perspective of thing, ie, gently caress THOSE drat TITANS :argh:

Thoren
May 28, 2008
They really hosed with Armin's bob.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

ActionZero posted:

So I just watched the first episode of the anime about 3 hours ago. Long story short, I'm now on chapter 32, holy poo poo this is good why didn't I pick this up before now.
edit: And now I'm up to date.

Enjoy the monthly waits :)

A new chapter is due next week!

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Doesn't every titan presumably have a "pilot?"

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Well, I don't think it has been shown that the humans in that one village that recently got "converted" had pilots in them. Maybe some people just become titans entirely?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
No wonder Eren couldn't do poo poo against Annie.

Maybe Annie had to learn to fight because she didn't have any crazy gimmicks.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
As a manga reader I'm not really used to art clues revealing important plot points. It's almost always revealed in text.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Reiner looks like a much bigger rear end in a top hat in the anime. Goddamn.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Level Slide posted:

As a result of the recent chapter, I am picturing an Eren titan cosplayer and a Ryner titan cosplayer getting into a legit wrestling match at some anime convention. It is glorious.

Don't forget the 60 meter face-slam at the end!

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Who won in that fistfight between Annie and Mikasa? Was it ever revealed?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

If only it wasn't so low quality. The scouting legion logo on the back is way too huge. The jacket also looks a tad bit too cropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Someone post that gif where it's a slideshow of a bunch of character panels that show how incredible the sense of movement is for a still manga.