Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Phobophilia posted:

We don't actually see that mysterious tutor woman in c1p13, we only see Mikasa. Nevertheless, the effect is the same, we now have confirmation that there is some mindwiper going around manipulating the very memories of the populace. That is terrifying.

I essentially agree, so long as we keep a measure of understanding with all the different factions within the story, then it won't dip into fascist nonsense. Actions can be morally indefensible (such as the wallists intending to murder Historia? but so long as the audience is privy to some kind of internal logic driving their motivations, then the author's decision to paint that faction's actions is sound.

What I'm saying is that surely the monarchy has some drat good reason for trying to suppress the recon corp's use of Eren. My suspicion, from the start, is that the titans are some kind of out-of-control bioweapon. Counterweapons like Eren have been used in the past, and all have inevitably spiraled out of control at some point. After all, one of the central conceits of the show is that characters are willing to sacrifice their humanity for power, and then the text is willing to display their repercussions. Like Erwin sacrificing his troops and being forced to keep going all-in with his cards, or Mikasa sacrificing her emotions and becoming slaved to Eren's will, or Armin sacrificing the truth and instigating a third colossal attack on the walls.

My suspicion is the central conflict between the monarchy and the shifters is that the former is utterly terrified of the repercussions of exploiting the use of the bioweapons, while the shifters willingly embrace the change and the inevitable madness. Neither option are particularly efficient at maximising the kantian idea of humanity.

Also, Ymir's motivation. Her drive to seek out Historia/Krista has always been a little "off" to me. I suspect that at some point after regaining human form, the desire to find Krista was implanted in her head by the mysterious telepathic lady.

Yeah, but if the Titans are a bio-weapon or something of that nature gone horribly wrong how does Monkey-Trouble fit into all of this? He seems like a 3rd party completely unrelated to humanity and yet can create the titans just fine by himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU