Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
If Eren has his father's memories, shouldn't he know what's in the basement now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, those veterans are 100% becoming titans.

Seems plausible. Makes me wonder why Marley bothers dumping criminal Eldians on Paradis when they could be weaponizing them instead.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I bet that letter is going to Zeke, and I'm really curious to find out what it says.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Also, Mikasa can't become a titan.

e: Thought she was half-Eldian, but now I realize she isn't.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

RatHat posted:

I wonder when we'll see Paradise again. I'd like to see how it's changed after 5 years with all the titans dead and technological progress not being held back anymore.

My guess is starting next chapter we'll see what's been going on inside the walls during the timeskip, and for a while we'll be left hanging on whatever Eren is doing in Marley.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Aumanor posted:

One thing that came up in a conversation with my pal: we know that to use the Coordinate Eren needs to be touch a titanized direct descendant of Ymir. When it was revealed folks here were discussing a possibility of Historia becoming a shifter but now that we're on the other side of the sea, doesn't there happen to be someone of royal lineage who already is one? Now the uestion is: would there be any immediate advantage to activating Eren's power?We know it doesn't work on shifters, and I don't imagine Marley has any mindless titans just standing around.

The Founding Titan seems to have the ability to mind control normal Eldians as well, considering that King Fritz apparently erased the memories of everyone inside the wells except for a handful of non-Eldian families. Eren turning the entire Eldian ghetto into his personal army would probably be bad for Marley.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

levi's like the crazy super weapon you get for one level in a video game because having it around the whole game would make it too easy

Or the overleveled character in an rpg who joins the party for one dungeon and trivializes it.

It's lame that he's out of commission for the events covered by season 2, but I think it was necessary since things would have been less hectic with him around and certain plot things wouldn't happen.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So uhhhh Who was the black guy? Are other countries selling the Paradisians zeppelin technology? I assume the Asian woman was in on it too. Willy knew he'd get assassinated on that stage, and others in the audience would die too. I just think he assumed a few gunmen would shoot some people and toss some firebombs, and not, you know, behead the entire Marleyan military and kill the nation's shadow-ruler.

Yeah it looks like one or more foreign nations are assisting the Paradisians. I don't recall there being any black people inside the walls, and it seems unlikely they went from having no aviation at all to having militarized zeppelins in only four years. Note that the pilot has a different uniform and doesn't bear the insignia of the Survey Corps. That would be pretty great if Marley is so hated for using Titans for the last hundred years that some of their enemies were willing to ally with the Paradise Eldians to take them down. As for Tybur he totally knew there was going to be a bloodbath at the stage presentation, including the loss of the military brass. He even told Magath that he would get to reform the military in the aftermath.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 5, 2018

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

No way the uprising arc is more than one cour. Seriously, go back and re-read it; you'll probably find it's not as long as you remember.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Every version we've heard of Eldian history has been a self-serving account for whoever is telling it. All of them contain elements of the truth, as all of them contain embellishments and fabrications. Tybur's version might be the closest to the truth we've seen so far, but even that was deliberately composed to paint Eren Jaeger as the enemy of all humanity. Accusations of fascist glorification or apologism are silly, though, because whether or not their ancestors committed atrocities the modern day Eldians are portrayed as mostly innocent victims of systemic world-wide oppression and only the obvious villains claim they deserve it. If this series ends with a definitively fascist conclusion, such as the Eldians being exterminated and it's treated as a good thing, or the establishment of a new imperialistic Eldian ethno-state, I'll eat a shoe.

What I'm curious about is if there are any surviving contemporary accounts to give a clearer picture of what things were really like before King Fritz went into seclusion and the Eldian nations collapsed. I mean, that all happened a little over a century ago: not a terribly long time in historical terms. When Grisha was young there could still have been some old folks around who lived through it. The people inside the walls have an excuse for not remembering their history; they were brainwashed into forgetting it. The people in the rest of the world couldn't have also had their memories altered since the Founding Titan's power explicitly doesn't work on non-Eldians.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

We don't know what the Wall-Eldians' goal in this conflict is yet, aside from apparently getting Eren to eat those sweet Titan juices, since it's been several years in-story since we've seen events from their perspective. We don't know what their stance toward the other Eldians is, though it likely isn't an entirely friendly one since they haven't shied away from causing collateral damage in the internment zone.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

JahRoo posted:

If he does want to collect all 7 titans in one person (by say getting a bunch and having Historia/Armin eat him), that might create some shenanigans where they unearth memories held by the original Ymir, which could shed light on the true history of the world.

It's 9 Titans, but yeah I wonder if something special would happen if one person got all the shifter powers. The 9 different shifters supposedly only appeared after Ymir died, suggesting she was the last person to have all the Titan powers at once. I'm gonna be real sad if Eren or Armin has to eat the other though.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Oh, please don't say that. Mikasa killing Eren would be way too dark and depressing of an ending.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Yeah Eren gonna die, just don't make Mikasa do it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

i don't even know what the actual plan was tbh

It seems that Eren went to Marley on his own and caused the Survey Corps to launch an attack/rescue operation to get him back. Perhaps the Survey Corps wasn't interested in such a bold attack, so Eren decided to force the issue. It was apparently his plan to consume at least the Warhammer Titan and possibly other Marley titans, as well as help Zeke secretly defect during the chaos of battle. People are mad at Eren because this battle would never have happened if he hadn't gone AWOL, thus none of these people would be dead.

I'm a little alarmed at the mention of a New Eldian Empire. I may end up eating a shoe after all.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I'm actually having a little trouble following the anime because the pacing and order of events is so different from what I remember of the manga.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

It does seem now that Eren is on board with Zeke's auto-genocide plan. I was really hoping that wasn't the case. I still think it's possible he has his own agenda and agreed just to manipulate Zeke, but I admit that's just grasping at straws. If he really is a willing participant in this plan then Eren needs to explicitly become the villain, or the haters may be right that the series is promoting genocide. I just can't reconcile this right now, either outcome is terribly inconsistent with the story's themes and Eren's character.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

And some like Gabi think by doing exactly what Marley wants they can prove there are "good" Eldians who can find redemption for their ancestral crimes.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

*Looks at characters who are victims of fascist oppression*
"Those characters are fascists."

It's funny and sad that writers like this take the blatant Marleyan propaganda as completely true.

I never know what to think of this stuff about Isayama denying or defending past Japanese war crimes, but given the way articles like this cherry pick elements of the story and take them out of context I can't help but think they're probably doing the same to Isayama's past statements.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 19, 2019

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Titans are often drawn with grotesque features to enhance the horror of the story, it's really as simple as that. Maybe that results in some occasional overlap with racist caricatures of Jewish people, but to be honest I can't recall any particular Titan that looked much like a Jewish caricature.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I don't recall seeing Gabi specifically, but there were definitely stills of events that happen in Marley after the time skip.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The whole point of the Rumbling is the Wall Titans, once awoken, cannot be stopped and will crush anything in their path as they roam in a straight line from their starting point across the earth. This point was explicitly told to us when the true purpose of the Wall Titans was revealed.

The Founding Titan can tell the Wall Titans where to go and what to do. This post did make me realize something, though, and that is the only Wall Titan we've actually seen, at Stohess when Annie was captured, was facing inward toward the city. Seems like a poor choice if they're intended to go stomping outward, I wonder if that's a hint that we've misunderstood their purpose.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I've been going over the whole series again for the first time in a while, and I've been reminded of a question that's been bothering me since a while back. What benefit did Annie get from killing the captured Titans Sawney and Bean? While it probably benefits Marley that the Wall Eldians remain as ignorant about the Titans as possible, killing the captured Titans doesn't seem to have any relevance to Annie, Reiner, and Bertolt's mission to obtain the Founding Titan. I can't think of anything Hange could have learned from a pair of Pure Titans that could have jeopardized that mission either. Maybe Annie herself doesn't know enough about Pure Titans to be sure if they could reveal information threatening to the mission or not so she thought it was worth the risk to kill them just to be certain? That's the best answer I have, but am not very satisfied with it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Maybe I forgot the sequence of events but I thought they assumed the King had the founding titan until Eren used the Coordinate. Until that point, the only reason they were taking him was as their own made-up side mission to retrieve the attack titan.

As far as they knew the only Titan shifter inside the walls was the Founder. Well, I guess they also knew the Jaw Titan was running loose somewhere. At any rate they had to at least consider the possibility that Eren was the Coordinate and so capturing him became a priority.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Depends on if Eren is giving the wall titans commands or the Rumbling is a predetermined command from the first king. Could be a problem if the latter since he never intended the Rumbling to actually be used.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

They're probably not eager to kill a virtually harmless Titan knowing there's a human being in there somewhere either. A human being who is potentially recoverable. Maybe they've even had someone experimenting to see if Titanization is reversible.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Sub Harrison posted:

Anyone able to get the crunchyroll AoT chapters to load?

I can on the mobile manga app, but not on any of my pc's internet browsers for some reason.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Ethiser posted:

Everything from that old security guy saving Eren and Mikasa in the very beginning onward has been Eren’s dying hallucination.

Not even that, Eren is still lying under that tree near Shiganshina crying about that "long dream" he's having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

They may have stopped The Rumbling, but can they stop The Buzzing?