Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I thought it was because they attacked the parts of the walls with gates in them, which probably wouldn't have a Titan inside them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Did...that guy accuse Armin of turning him gay?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

But does it contain potatoes?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

I would be fine reading a spinoff entirely based on this premise.

Speaking of spinoffs I came across this today. It's ok I guess, not as good as Spoof on Titan.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So can Historia also transform into a titan? That female titan looks a lot like her.Or was that one of her half-sisters?

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 9, 2014

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So when will Mikasa get Titanised?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So wait... does this mean that Mikasa isn't the only Asian left in the world? :v:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Wouldn't extracting enough spinal fluid to turn a village into Titans have left him paralyzed?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The ultimate titan power will be literal time travel and he'll undo the entire fuckery when he eats them all

Actually, it wont be him, it'll be Historia when he lets her eat him

Original Ymir is Historia from the future, who goes by Ymir in memory of her friend.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Wait did they gouge her eyes out, and then hunt her down with dogs? It’s hard to tell since they were doing Dramatic Flashback Eye-Shading.

I think they gouged one eye out as part of the punishment.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So one thing I'm not clear on, is the King shown in this chapter the one who makes anyone royal who inherits the Founding Titan become a pacifist and isolationist or was that a different king, like the one who moved the Eldians to Paradis in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I like how King Fritz I "The Dipshit," didn't have any reason to think eating Ymir would do anything. He just thought, "aw crap my sex slave WMD died. Kids? EAT YOUR MOM."

Also, could someone just explain to me what this means about "who is an Eldian" in the story's present day? Like, 2000 years ago it was just the name for some tribal kingdom or culture, and one of their slaves gets superpowers, and any blood descendant of hers can become a titan, and any titan who eats one of the 9 shifters becomes a shifter, who can control the transformation.

So, in the modern era, Eldians are considered "Children of Ymir," and apparently all have the latent titan power. So, it stands to reason that by 2000 AY, everyone of the Eldian ethnicity/nation/whatever would have some direct descent from Ymir, getting her genes, or the genes of the alien spine symbiote or whatever. Gen 1 is Ymir, Gen 2 is Rose, Maria and Sheena, and Gen 3 onwards is their children, and children's children and so on so forth.
So presumably, when Rose Maria and Sheena died, their ≥9 kids all ate them and got the Titan Shifter powers we have today. And then eventually, however long down the line, the holders of those powers would become aristocracy with every generation of each family having one kid designated to take one for the team and hold the power.

But then how does the "Royal Family" and the Founding Titan fit into this? One Titan lets the user mind control anyone who's also a descendant of Ymir, and that would totally let you seize supreme political power. But then there's a "royal bloodline" that's different, and can't inherit the Founding Titan without being subsumed by its personality, and has some degree of control over titans even if they're the Beast Titan.

Every descendant of Ymir is also a descendant of King "Fuckface" Fritz, so....did the grandkid who got the Founding power from eating whichever daughter their mom was just reserve the right to keep the Fritz dynastic name, and that somehow made them special? And since the (non-Fritz/Reiss) noblemen within the walls are so cagey about breeding with peasants, are they just not ethnically Eldian or Ymirian in any way, and invited in by Karl Fritz specifically so there'd be a few people immune to mind control and memory erasure? Same with the Ackermans and the small handful of Asians?

tl;dr, if everyone who can be called an Eldian in present day has Ymir and Fritz blood, what makes the people identified as Royal (Zeke, Dina, the Reiss family) objectively "different" than other Eldians with a more advanced grasp on mind control, and shouting to turn people into titans, etc.

I assume that there was quite a bit of inbreeding involved for the royal line to make the bloodline "stronger", much like with royalty in real life.