Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Has the author already thrown in a cameo of himself as a titan? I feel like the idea's too fun to pass up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

D1Sergo posted:

I still hold out hope that a major character is going to bite it eventually, but I know it will never be Armin. By the end of this he's going to be a PTSD broken shell of a man forced to live to old age and Remember the Titans until the day he dies alone.
I feel like Annie probably isn't gonna make a return. AoT already pulled its main character back from the dead pretty much right out of the gate, but there was way too much of Eren set-up and not followed-through for him not to return. Annie on the other hand has pretty much served her narrative purpose, and with a decent number of other Teen Titans exposed there's not a good reason to go back to her besides largely non-existent audience demand. If Sasha gets killed on the other hand, I wouldn't put a cop-out past them :sax:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

The draughtsmanship was killing it this chapter, did they switch to a separate artist?

Levi and Erwin aren't dumb enough to put blind faith in businessmen. But I think Levi was pretty good at getting through that
a) The monarchy are corrupt, unreliable, and eager to dispose of everyone they involve in secret affairs. President Reebs was probably aware he was gonna get offed regardless of whether or not he was successful, hence personally showing up to a half-hearted kidnapping with just three men when he's got a whole city under his command.
b) The Survey Corps are the only force that has secured Trost's assets; Trost is a peripheral city that the central government was willing to abandon.
Outside of farcical cowardice, Reebs doesn't have good motivation to betray the Survery Corps at the moment.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

The only thing I can think of is him lying to Reiner and Bertholdt about how they were torturing Annie.
Also though, as soon as the female titan showed up and wrecked the Survey Corp's poo poo, Armin started playing mind games with the titan to see whether or not it was one of his friends. He then feigns ignorance and asks this friend to help him out in a time of need as an elaborate plot to capture and dissect said friend.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm not sure anyone is a good guy in this story anymore. gently caress.
Nobody's strictly evil, either. Every character in this series wants to believe that what they're doing is righteous, even when they consciously concede that their actions are, in actuality, dictated by survival.

Hunt11 posted:

So Armin is just as crazy and messed up as the rest of his childhood friends.
Armin is pretty much everything Anakin Skywalker's character arc should have been; a fearful but basically good kid who slowly loses all good intentions as they continuously let themselves rationalize some really dark actions under an increasingly pessimistic utilitarianism. Pretty much what happens to the vast majority of people who play a role in world politics.

snucks fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 8, 2014

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Oh. Ha. It just hit me. Erwin isn't losing it.

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c051/37.html

Erwin's creepy smile is because his father's theory and life's work has been proven to be true in that moment he learned that titans are human beings. I figured Erwin was the one losing it and Armin would be the person to replace him, but now the shoe is on the other foot.
Oh poo poo, that was completely indecipherable when it first came out. Smiling/tearing up a little can be super unsettling out of context. :stare:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

eladank posted:

They didn't flat out said it, but if they are suppressing hot air balloons because they are a danger to the king I find it hard to believe that they will let 3d gear develop.
It makes a lot of sense if it's viewed through the lens of information control. Remember when Eren and Armin were young? Before the whole avenge-my-mom vendetta, Eren wanted to enlist in the Survey Corps so he could explore the outside world, even though he knew it was suicidal. An air balloon would literally/figuratively let people see titans from a different point of view and maybe come in contact with humans outside the wall, both of which present immediate threats to the order within the wall.

PaganGoatPants posted:

So what could be in that basement is just a library of really old history books?
:unsmith:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Terper posted:

Anime reviewer JesuOtaku just put up a pretty big character analysis video regarding the main trio and their relationship. It's pretty interesting, I recommend checking it out. It's mostly just about the anime, but she does go into manga stuff towards the end.
The head trio of the Survey Corps (Erwin/Levi/Hange) are also a more well-rounded, matured dynamic that the kids share. Erwin is a spirit with an incorporated mind, Levi is a body with an incorporated spirit, and Hange is a mind with an incorporated body. The great thing is that they're still flawed; Erwin isn't protective and has been criticized for shedding other peoples' blood for the sake of his ideals, Levi mostly serves as a tool for other peoples' plans, and Hange gets a little psychotic when she doesn't have anyone to keep her in check.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Rolled my loving eyes at the original mention of human-fighting 3DMG but I have to admit it's wonderful and I was wrong. It makes me wonder if there's going to be a good deal of human-human fighting coming up; it would be fantastic if Levi and Mikasa turned out to be terrible shots and Sasha had to step up as the lead talent of the group :allears:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

I love how pissed Historia is that everyone finds her so wonderful because they've literally been brainwashed to perceive her and her family as gods. It's pretty much exactly what she's been fearing her whole life, that people like her for all the wrong reasons.
It's also cute that the chapter accidentally offers an alternative explanation for why Mikasa is so irritated by Historia.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

how about if rod breaking the walls unleashes wall titans and starts a chain of fuckery
Those seem like the exact type of titans that Eren could use to his advantage.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I checked it and it's quite garbage. One goon put it best: fan wikis in general ignore the actual object of interest in favour of banal trivia.

The SNK wiki does not include articles on how "alterity", "imperialism", "militarism", "class conflict", "uncanny valley", "ingroups and outgroups", or even "action", "horror", and "sequential art" relate to SNK.
Yes, virtually all fan wikis are populated and run by teenagers who are obsessed with the accumulation of details at the expense of the larger picture. They're useful if you need to refer to those basic details, but analyzing socioeconomic themes is the territory of adults who have better things to do than edit anime wikis.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

my dad posted:

I'm getting a lot of Raskolnikov vibes from Shadis, but I don't think I can quite put my finger on why.
"Self loathing as justification for public explication of your life story" is pretty Dostoevskyesque in general.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

idk, from what Ive read last chapter, it seems like that was the first time they recruited eldians to fight for then, not at all like something they have been doing constantly
It seems like they had Eldian titans fighting for them during the titan wars, but these titans died and their powers were left preserved in safeguarded serums because the Marley government decided an industrialized army was much more controllable and reliable than a handful of uncontrollable superhumans. Of course, you need these superhumans in order to potentially mind control the giant horde of titans still trapped within the walls, so Marley had to take the risk of reviving their titan force.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

Something else that just occured to me: do you remember of member's of the Owl's resistance movement identified themselves through ritual scarring? That's the same way titan shifters trigger their transformation.
I loved this. Less a fan of the fact that master tactician The Owl decided to enact his Grisha-saving plan once all other revolutionary recruits were dead or titanized. Was there a point to this besides dramatic tension? Would letting these revolutionaries live within the wall be too dangerous to the mission? Did he just realize the jig was up and change pace when Grisha stupidly ran his mouth about secret intel, and if so why not save Dina instead of Grisha?

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

That would be a pretty disappointing ending, since there would be an implied massive bloody war after the end that would kind of ruin any good feelings.
Maintaining the will to fight against seemingly insurmountable odds is the biggest theme of this series, if it doesn't end with a monologue by Armin or Eren about how the beauty of the free world is worth fighting for I will be more shocked than by anything else this comic has thrown at us.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

The half-dozen times Reiner really should have been offed have all been redeemed by the closing conversation with Falco. It seems like he's sifting through the recruits to find one who's independently minded enough to inherit the armored titan and use it to establish Eldian independence. All the subtext we got about the warriors going native wasn't just idle talk.

On another note, what's the likelihood that Hange/etc has spent at least a portion of the past 4 years drilling through Annie's crystal to extract her powers? Who would we expect to inherit those powers?

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

ThePineapple posted:

If anything it would make more sense to have Armin eat Eren, or to have someone else eat both of them. Eren doesn't have much of his 13 years left.
IIRC Eren and Reiner have 4 years left, though Reiner seems eager to die a lot sooner. The series will likely end with Eren facing death in some form.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Eiba posted:

Reiner is a really interesting character, and the Marleyan/Eldian/rest of the world dynamic is really well done, honestly. It's complicated enough to seem plausible, but not so complicated that it's hard for the reader to grasp. It's a big situation that's had really hosed up personal consequences for major characters we've known all along, and we had no idea it was out there.
The latest chapter has done a great job at reframing what a miserable task the shifters were given. Reiner and Zeke seemed like the only ones who genuinely believed that invading Paradis was morally justifiable, and even then Reiner couldn't bring himself to directly kill citizens, only open up the wall and let the mindless titans take care of the rest.

I remember rolling my eyes at how AOT indulged the "teens are the only ones entrusted with controlling the giant fighting robots" cliche, but the latest chapters have had a great tension between the Marley's stated reason of "child shifters have more latent potential" and the unstated rationale of "child soldiers are easier to brainwash and less likely to be covertly involved in resistance factions". Most of the recruits seem to have serious doubts about what they're doing, but are so trapped in paranoid despondency that it's a moot point.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

In It For The Tank posted:

Zeke's gonna switch sides.
I very much bought into Zeke switching sides, but he hasn't done anything so far (persuading the other shifters or actively stopping them before they could attack Eren and company), and he very much doesn't seem like the type of person to have a change of heart mid-battle. Something that makes AOT way better than most Action Genre stuff is that once people start killing they stop talking, and any previous excuses for deescalation (mainly keeping Eren as a live hostage for transport back to Marley) are currently out the window.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

The Warhammer seems a bit too powerful, if either Armin or Eren get its power, it'll be like a cheat code allowing them to defeat anyone.
The current dynamic of it being OP but used defensively by a smart but probably inexperienced shifter is really fun, and I'm guessing we're more or less near the end of the story. It's the perfect final titan to reveal as we shift focus to a more technologically advanced world.

Eiba posted:

This story is really loving sad. There is no glory here.
The whole chapter's done a good job of it, but the moment between Eren and Mikasa really hammered home the feeling of "we know we're war criminals, but it's the only we way know how to survive". Eren has come a very long way from the righteous anger he was originally defined by, and it draws an eerie parallel with the series theme of "are your actions more evil or less evil when you're fully aware of their consequences?" first echoed by the mindless titans, then by the shifter trio, and now by virtually everyone.

snucks fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 18, 2018

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

JahRoo posted:

It's hard to tell exactly what the endgame is here though. It looks like Eren is interesting in acquiring as many titan powers as possible, but that could be for a few different reasons. One argument is just to deny the enemy as many titan powers as possible, but he could also be trying to consolidate all 9 powers into one person (Historia?)

Consolidating all the powers as some means of "ending the curse" with the Eldians liberated and brokering an uneasy peace with the world at large seems like a fittingly bittersweet ending.

comedyblissoption posted:

reiner is in full :negative: mode
Reiner's gonna get covertly offed by Marley, right? It'll be framed as a suicide so his power can be safely transferred to Gabi, but distrust of that narrative will gently caress up morale even further than where it's currently at.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Viridiant posted:

I'm honestly not a fan of how many people dislike Gabi (Mostly in other places, I haven't seen much of that here) Like, I get it. I know why. But this is a heavily indoctrinated child soldier we're talking about here, she's got more issues as a kid than I have now as an adult. Honestly I feel like if Gabi dies that'll be a pretty good indicator of the kind of ending we're going to get. If she makes it and is able to work past her hatred I think we're in for a less tragic ending.
I think a big part of why Gabi is dislikable is that she conforms too clearly to our expectations of her. We're supposed to be treating her like a person, but she feels too much like a character. This probably wouldn't be as much of a problem if she wasn't so obviously framed as "Marleyan Eren #2," but it still feels like we're waiting for her character to go somewhere new, seemingly to the redemption arc that Reiner is too broken to handle.

I do really like that they're doing something interesting with Sasha's death. The previous arcs felt like the original characters were overstaying their narrative purpose (which I guess they were if Isayama originally intended to wrap this up around season 2), but the time skip has done a really good job either reworking their role or nudging them off to the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Here's a hot take but Ymir is asking for freedom. She has been trapped in the realm for basically ever. Eren has to save her.

Definitely the sense I was getting too, it ties into the manga's main theme and Eren's narrative purpose.

Isayama's storyboarding has really caught up with his symbolism; the opening ~6 pages in this chapter were all breathtaking, especially after how awkwardly empty the panels of Gabi using the rifle were last chapter.

Did Eren dropping the ball in the first pages and blaming it on faked illness relate to how faking his motivations has impacted his real convictions? Is Zeke reacting to that line specifically, or is he just worried that he won't be able to pass down his teachings in the way Xaver could?