Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Eiba posted:

It does seem really weird. The only way I could imagine it is if the technology to turn people into controlled titans was only 12 years old at the time, and the process had to be started at birth.

Which would make sense actually, as all the controlled titans we've seen have been more or less the same age.
I watched the first episode of the anime and then read most of the manga. I skipped a few chapters, but I'm more-or-less "caught up" as far as the current state of affairs in the manga. The overall underlying mystery regarding the human-titan hybrids is definitely going to keep me reading. Seems to me that the primary goal of the "titans in the know" is to get Eren to "go with them" somewhere for some reason. I almost wish he'd just go, so we could follow along and finally find out what the big deal is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I don't understand why people don't live underground or habitats that are tightly enclosed with small tunnels. I can understand the need to farm, but that doesn't mean they need to build regular houses too. Maybe the 100 year peace made them slack? The art is okay, but Eren's expression seems to never change. At least I can tell, for the most part, what a page or scene is about -- unlike many other mangas. The creepy titans make it. Its cool how they vary in size from just barely superhuman to ginormous.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Folks. I'm talking about tunnels that are about six feet high and just a few feet wide dug straight out of solid rock. Maybe into some rock mountain or in some thick bedrock. Granted, this condition might not exist, but it would seem to me that tunneling would be an ideal solution. Your smallest Titan is the three-meter class, so they'd have a very difficult time moving around. The larger Titans wouldn't be able to follow people at all, and I doubt they'd have the ability to dig through the solid rock with any kind of ease at all. They didn't penetrate the wall, right?

You could even simulate the bedrock with solid tunnels built out of the material they used for the wall -- dug into the ground. I'm talking unlimited rabbit holes within rabbit holes. Sure the walls worked for 100 years, but the tunnels would be an ideal starter/backup solution.

Doesn't really matter. The story is more interesting with people living "out in the open" in mere wooden structures that are easily demolished by a 15-meter class Titan. Loads of ready-to-eat meals just sitting there, waiting to be devoured.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were something up with Mikasa (I think there was some speculation earlier that Dr. Jaeger had been experimenting on her?), but I kinda hope the answer just ends up being that Mikasa is just super cool.
Well, didn't Dr. Jaeger visit her family on a semi-regular basis before the murders? I was thinking the same thing.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm enjoying reading the flurry of comments about "the flash" and "where did that titan come from?" on the anime thread. I'd be totally confused to if I didn't have the benefit of knowing what I've read from the manga. I can't wait for the Eren gets chomped and swallowed bit to play out on-screen. People are going to freak out. I did when I read the manga. "Did that titan just chop off Eren's arm swallow him? Wait, let me go back and read that page again!"

Makes you wonder though, why the titans don't recognize their own who are in human-sized-form. I'll be there's something to that.... I have no idea what though.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

I always found it kind of poignant that Marco is one of the most competent of his class, and just generally a smart, kind and well-liked guy, but he bites the big one in total anonymity. Kind of drives home that there's no fanfare or heroic deaths against the Titans, even among those who seem destined for great things.
Thinking about it, Eren also "dies" during the progression of this conflict. Brings home how difficult it is for these folks to survive their first encounter with the Titans. Isn't the survival rate of scouts 50%? In Chapter 21, the scout captain explains that over 90% of the scouts have died in total and that the half of them will lose their lives during their first encounter.

That's pretty grim, and it's played out during this first encounter. What's really sad is that if Eren hadn't had the benefit of being a Titan himself, he'd be done. Finished almost before he ever even started. They were lucky to only lose Marco, really.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I found this last chapter rather confusing. Overall, it seems that Ymir has come to some conclusions regarding who "the enemy" is but decided at the last minute not to tell Eren. Again, 40-something manga pages and not a whole lot was answered. Hard to tell whether or not the talk about protecting Christa affected Ymir or not.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm late to the conservation of mass and becoming a titan party: It should be clearly obvious to even the most casual observer that titans gain what mass they have from Z-Space.

Here are some references to modern, scientific literature regarding said Z-Space:
Animorphs Wiki Z-Space
Another Highly Touted Source

The titans are likely "lighter than expected" to deal somewhat with the Square Cube Law. The titans are conveniently heavy enough to do massive damage to normal humans and buildings, but light enough to actually move at decent speeds and catch said humans for eating.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I honestly think we may find that titans are a result of some kind of super drug that the humans had been in the process of either experimenting with or creating way back in the high-tech past. This kind of scenario is a fairly common sci-fi one, I think. You create a new "Eternal Life" or "Heal All Wounds" drug, and things go awry in a very bad way.

All the sudden, we have a very bad side effect of having many of those drugged turning into titans. Only a few are somehow able to revert back to their human selves, but with the after effect of having the "Heal All Wounds" ability still in play.

Meanwhile, all hell has broken loose as those few hundred or thousand test subject show initially took the drug and turned into titans destroyed almost all of humanity. Heck, maybe the titans who were able to keep their humanity were the ones who built those massive walls, etc?

This theory doesn't explain the ape-sasquatch-titan at all, though. I don't have a good answer for that except he appears to be 1) able to think like a human in his titan form, and 2) not care at all about humans (he was pretty brutal). Maybe he's just an anomaly. Somehow, though, I think his existence is a key to the mystery of titans overall.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I don't know about their goal "suddenly changing" from killing all humans to all the sudden kidnapping Eren. We know from the Annie-titan attempt at kidnapping Eren that Eren was an important goal of the titan-humans from early on. Probably, the kidnapping of Eren is an opportunistic goal. Something like, "we found out this guy is a titan, like us, and we need him in a very desperate way to come to our home village of human-titans because <fill in the blank>."

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

my dad posted:

Bert and Reiner literally said that they planned to wipe out mankind until they discovered that Eren can transform.
I kind of mis-read the "sudden change" bit from the earlier post. I was thinking they didn't change their mind until the last minute when they revealed themselves. Looks like I agree with it. I agree that it seems their overall goal became singularly focused on getting Eren to their home once they found out what he was.

The mangaka needs to reveal more of the reasons behind the mysteries. The months are going by and we're only getting answers that lead to more questions and speculation. I'm still going with the idea that humans created the titans accidentally when researching some sort of miracle drug or longevity formula. I will also go with aliens visiting the planet and doing experiments.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I wouldn't be totally surprised if there are "normal" humans living out in the open along with titan-humans. The only difference being that the normal humans didn't use titan bodies to build a wall. Seems to me, the main beef the titans might have with the humans living behind the walls is the fact they built the walls out of titans.

This theory doesn't explain why titans eat humans (for no apparent reason as they are not a food source, etc.). It might explain the animosity, though.

I really hope the story begins to answer some questions soon. Right now, we're in the middle of a tug-of-war between the titans and the humans as to who gets to keep Eren. This tug-of-war basically started when Annie attempted to steal Eren away during that first expedition. There's been some minor developments, but I feel like we're back to square one. We already knew the titans wanted/needed Eren. They've made another play for him.

If things don't change soon, I'm going to go from really enthralled to really bored and annoyed.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I knew there were mystifying and interesting secrets still needing revealing, but I had no idea the mangaka could possibly surprise me like he did in this last chapter. This new revelation is incredible. No wonder the other sentient titans want Eren so badly.

I loved how when things were at their most desperate, the one thing Mikasa decides to do is thank Eren for saving her and teaching her how to live.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm now wondering why Bert and Reinholt haven't just killed Eren when they had the chance. Did they somehow need to confirm he had the power to command titans? Or, do they need him to join their cause and command titans for them?

I'm guessing it's the latter. Bert and Reinhold need Eren to "join their team." By bringing him to their home, they believe they can somehow convince him to forget his burning, burning, burning hate for all things large chomping.

I don't see how Eren would ever change, though.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Sunday morning, I told my wife about this manga/anime (mostly the manga). I very briefly explained about Eren and the Titans and how little we actually know about any of the answers to the big questions. Then, I explained that it's a series with monthly chapters, and we're currently on chapter 50.

She said, "You mean, after four years, that's all you know?"

I hadn't really thought about it much, but the manga began in September 2009, and it's been just over four years, and we really don't know much yet. In fact, you could pretty-much say we've finally gotten our real first answer. Sure, Eren and the gang, all being human titans, were answers of a sort, but really they were just setup informational pieces, providing us with a desire for real answers. In fact, if you think about it, it seems to me that most of these last four years have been more or less a setup period. The characters have been established, the major reveals have occurred, now we can forward. I hope.

We know why Eren is so important to the other human titans. I'm hoping next month, we'll get more answers. Maybe Annie will come out of her crystalline shell? Maybe they'll actually visit the Jaeger cellar? I predict we're going to be getting some answers in the next few months. I think it's high time the mangaka started filling in the blanks.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I just checked on Crunchyroll. Says we have about 12 and a half hours before the next chapter comes out. That's about 7pm Eastern for us in the USA. ...something to look forward to tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Well, poo poo.

At least I have something to look forward to tonight.