Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Szmitten posted:

I have a terrible feeling that it's going to be very anime and that "Warrior" is just a synonym for "someone with a really strong will" and only major characters can regain consciousness and choose/control their form. Everyone else just didn't want it enough :colbert: (which would be unfortunate and boring so let's hope not).

Annie said that she failed to become a "warrior" and she's pretty stong willed, I doubt it's anything as dumb as that. Seems more likely that it is a social cast/rank that you achieve in some way or another. At least that what I'm hoping for, since thealternative is kinda redundant. The human-Titans we've seen so far have been shits because of their dedication to a supposed mission, the because they are bad people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Winky posted:

Now, not that I necessarily believe that any of this is what he intended, but it's kind of funny how well all of that lines up in regards to AoT being about the virtues of imperialistic fascism.

To put it mildly, this and similar interpretations seems to ignore HUGE parts of the "text" that is Shingeki.
WARNING: EFFORT POST INCOMING

A key note in fascism is the idea that our society either was or is "perfect", but was ruined by some foreign intruder that either smashed or infiltrated and corrupted said society. In Shingekis case, that would be the titans. Yet it's pretty clear from the get go that Shingekis world is hosed with or without the titans. The only reason Mikasa isn't a sex slave to some rich pervert in the inner city is because of a Erens burning (and admittedly, slightly deranged) sense of justice(I think, can't remember all the details). The way the king and ruling class handles the aftermath of the first attack is also pretty tellin: they first force them to slave away to get any food and they they force them all to fight the titans in a suicide attack. And this is a fifth of all humanity! It really makes you wonder how all those people could so easily be sacrificed. the answer is pretty simple though: It was because they were poor.

Which brings me to my theory regarding Shingeki: Shingeki no Kyojin is COMMUNIST AS ALL-gently caress.
Which really isn't that crazy when you think about it. I might be wrong, but pretty much every good character is a poor exploited person from either the middle or outer wall, which corresponds to the middle and lover class respectively, with some exceptions like Sasha, who we might note is still from a poor hunter family. The exception is Crista/ Historia, and she
is desperately trying to escape the oppression of her rich family, while fighting for the sake of her gay half-titan lover.
She is a gay class traitor and in Shingeki that is a good thing.

But what about the Titans? Are they not a bunch of scary foreign invader? Not really. The latest chapters revelations that Eren can control titans and that titans are humans make is explicit, but from the beginning there was something off about them as enemies. For example, they don't need to eat humans to survive, in fact they don't need to eat at all! So why do they do it? Well if Eren can command titans, and isn't the first to do so, then it's pretty clear why the titans are doing it: because they are forced to. The titans are slaves, just like the humans are. This makes them way more sympathetic then any fascist story would allow them to be. And then there id the fact that they are essentially big zombies, and zombies often stand for the poor and repressed of the world, where the true problem is whether the protagonist will respect the humanity or even ally with the zombies despite their supposed "inhumanity".

This extends to the human-titans as well. At first they might seem like the perfect fascist enemy, happily infiltrating our society and destroying it when the chance arises. But the problem here is that all the human titans that we've seen (besides Ymir, who's never been an enemy of humanity) clearly do not want to kill people. The closets we came to that was Annie, but even she could not bring herself to kill Armin, and her flashback shows that she too has some hidden reason for why she felt that she needed to kill. The same goes for Reiner and Bertolt. And then there is the continued reference to becoming a "warrior". While it could be something lame, I'd like to think that it is a reference to a social caste in the human-titan society that Annie, Bertolt and Reiner comes from.

So where does that leave us? Well the big conflict for Eren is whether he can overcome his hatred for the titans and ally with them against their as of yet unseen master(s)like maybe the monkey titan? Be that's only half of it. Because the other side of the conflict is whether the scouting legion will storm the inner city and beat the poo poo out of the decadent and evil Military police, and then killing the king responsible for everyone's misery before creating the :ussr:dictatorship of the proletariat :ussr:.

If this doesn't happen the manga is utter garbage :colbert:.

(I'm joking a bit, but they seriously need to address some of the issues present in Shingekis world or it's gonna feel like a cop out )

TLDR: "Advance of the Titan? More like ADVANCE OF THE GLORIOUS COMMUNIST REVOLUTIONARIES, AMIRIGHT?"

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Alternatively this is just a really bad chapter filled with fascist caricatures of child-murderers.

Proletarian hatred is fascist got it.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Zombies don't scare me. Titans do.

So it's only the size difference then? Cuz the rest are kinda fudgy reasons.

Beef Waifu posted:

Titans are better than zombies because no serious zombie story ever had zombies that could do MMA fighting, ram through a wall like Brock Lesnar, or be a huge zombie. ...Or a female character that isn't completely helpless.

Zombie stories have had poo poo like that and more since forever.

I love AOT but but please keep the circle jerking to a minimum guys.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

There is no serious zombie story with a zombie that gets into an actual fist fight with any of the characters. I'm not even circle jerking AoT so much as making GBS threads on the zombie genre.

AOT is part of the zombie genre through. Making the zombies stronger and bigger (and changing into a zombie is triumphant and cool instead of sad and depressing) doesn't change that at it's heart it's a story of a horde of mindless monster trying to eat humanity (with some variations, of course).