Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo, Chapter 4 :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'll overlook them choosing risky melee over safer ranged attacks because

PaleIrishGuy posted:

gently caress it, fighting giants like a sword-swinging, hopeless batman is way cooler than cannonading them from the top of a wall.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
104th Training Class, Ranks No. 5 to 2

Ranked No. 5 - Eren Jaegar - Revealed as Titan in Chapter 9

Ranked No. 4 - Annie Leonhardt - Revealed as Titan in Chapter 31

Ranked No. 3 - Bertholdt Fubar - Revealed as Titan in Chapter 42

Ranked No. 2 - Reiner Braun - Revealed as Titan in Chapter 42

Seems to me that there's a trend building up here.

EDIT: I'm going back to check whether Mikasa wears an iron ring or guards her neck when she fights.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 15, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

Man, Reiner has the weakest last name of all the human titans. Jaegar can mean a hunter, a type of soldier in some militaries, or a type of bird that harasses other birds to steal their prey; Leonhardt looks like Lionheart; Fubar is pretty descriptive of Titan transformation and what they do to people; and then Braun means brown.

"Brown" is what your pants look like when you see a Titan.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Get your own Recon Corps jackets here - http://www.amiami.jp/top/detail/detail?gcode=CGD2-53941

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

So given Ymir's little monologue, it seems to me that Ymir was an actual titan who found a way/was always able to take human form. Which is different from titanform humans like Annie and Eren. Assuming the secondary flashback to Bertholdt and Reiner's childhood is accurate, Ymir was a titan who was part of the first invasion when the outermost wall fell. Considering human Ymir appears to be the same age as the rest of the rookie scouts, it seems rather unlikely that she was a child their age who transformed into a rampaging Titan.

Alternatively Ymir is the black sheep of a family like Annie's, and the titan from Bertholdt and Reiner's flashback is Ymir's mother/older sister/other family member.

This is from a while back, but it raises new questions in light of recent events. The flashback is from their internal perspective, so there's no reason to doubt its veracity.

However, how can the facts that (a) they were the Colossal and Armored Titans, broke down Wall Maria and let the other titans in be reconciled with the facts that (b) they saw their friend get eaten during the same titan incursion caused by their own actions as the Colossal and Armored Titans, and appear to be genuinely shocked when they found out that Ymir was the titan that ate their friend?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm amazed that any senior church member, and anyone else privy to the secret, can even fall asleep knowing that they are literally surrounded by a wall of 50-meter titans right next to them.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ccs posted:

Gotta say I've always been perplexed by the popularity of the manga, since the drawings are...ehhh. Messy inking and inconsistent anatomy, and the author seems to be able to draw the expression "shocked" and not much else.

The art has been steadily improving with each new chapter.

That said, what I wouldn't give for the series to be re-drawn by Murata of Onepunch Man.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some great cosplay's already turning up.

First from the left - Ymir
Second from the left - Christa / Historia Reiss
Third from the left - Mikasa Ackerman
Fourth from the left - Sasha Braus
Fifth from the left - Jean Leonhardt
Sixth from the left - Rene (I think)
Seventh from the left - Hanji Zoe

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 16, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zorak posted:

She's the most talented of her class, but she's probably not the most talented overall; after all, Rivalle himself is REALLY drat talented too.

Speaking of Rivaille, seems like he was voted the most popular character in Shingeki no Kyojin's first character poll:

I don't have the pages for the remaining places, but the website where I found this says that the top 10 characters were as follows:

01. Rivaille (3952)
02. Eren (2244)
03. Mikasa (2232)
04. Sasha (818)
05. Christa (664)
06. Annie (452)
07. Hanji (388)
08. Reiner (348)
09. Jean (310)
10. Armin (290)

I'm glad to see Sasha is so high up in the rankings. :3:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thoren posted:

I hope Mikasa is just a really skilled normal human. Isn't she more or less just on the same level as Reville?

Yes. However, on this page, it says that Petra has 58 titan kills (10 solo, 48 in a team), Auruo has 48 kills (39 solo, 9 in a team), Erd has 46 kills (14 solo, 32 in a team) and Gunter has 47 kills (7 solo, 40 in a team). It follows that Rivaille has an even higher kill count than any of his subordinates.

So this means that Mikasa, a newbie fresh out of training, is on the same level as Rivaille, a veteran soldier with tons of actual battle experience under his belt.

EDIT: Took the fan-artists long enough to come up with Shingeki no Touhou:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nilbop posted:

Which chapter did the whole Sasha-fart-potato conversation happen? It's really hard to find things in this manga.

Starting here, in Chapter 17 - http://mangafox.me/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/v04/c017/28.html

No potatoes were involved in this scene, though. Just a loaf of bread.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thoren posted:

We can't see Mangafox links from America.

For the US goons - http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/14/28

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Episode 4 of the anime

Man, it's painful to watch the latest episode and see Reiner being all friendly and reliable and trusted by his other classmates, knowing all the time that he's the Armoured Titan that ruined all their lives.

EDIT: They animated Annie guarding her neck when kicking Eren during their sparring match in training. Nice touch!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ActionZero posted:

I'm not sure if the best part about this show is watching it or watching the reactions in the anime thread. There's someone complaining about "The Colossal Titan just kinda teleports in. One frame not there, next frame PEEKABOO!" which is almost exactly what I thought when I read that scene in chapter 4.

That post in the anime thread is made by Captain Invictus, who has also posted in this manga thread before.

Captain Invictus posted:

I think my biggest complaint about this episode, aside from still shots(which seem to be becoming more frequent) was the Colossal Titan just kinda teleports in. One frame not there, next frame PEEKABOO! I dunno, it was kinda jarring for such a dramatic moment. Rest of all that was outstanding though.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd forgotten that Sasha was the one who rescued the guy that got knocked unconscious by Colossal Titan's steam. She's even more awesome than I'd thought. :allears:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's spreading to other sub-forums:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of these days we'll get a chapter with a flashback showing how Sasha became obsessed with potatoes after her mother got eaten by a titan while baking potatoes for the family, and all our potato jokes will retroactively become terribly depressing. :smith:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was that scene in the anime with Pixis and the fat nobleman in the manga as well? I'd check myself, but I'm afraid if I do so I'd spend the whole day reading the series again.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think this side-story chapter has ever been posted here before - Chapter 9.5 - Special: Corporal Rivaille :black101:

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 5, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Somehow I missed this the first time round, but apparently Reiner has wanted to marry Christa since Chapter 24 - http://www.batoto.net/read/_/21419/shingeki-no-kyojin_v6_ch24_by_tdx/9

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Katreus posted:

Wait. What? Why does there have to be a Titan in the squad anyway? (Other than the Titan infiltrators, of course.)

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of seeing this brutal world of humans vs. Titans, where a single misstep or loss of concentration leads to your dismemberment or death or to your squad mates'? (As opposed to ridiculous regeneration rates, the Energizer Bunny of fights.)

I don't see how that necessarily defeats the purpose. It's not like Eren-Titan's presence has slowed down the torrent of dead and/or dismembered Recon Legion soldiers. In fact, during the "blocking the hole in the wall with a rock" arc and the "capture Annie-Titan in the forest" arc, most of the deaths and dismemberments occurred because of Eren-Titan, in that Pixis and Irvin were throwing away soldiers' lives to protect Eren-Titan.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think Shingeki no Kyojin has by far the highest conversion rate of anime viewers to manga readers of any anime series in recent history.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
From the anime thread, with spoiler tags removed:

Stall_19 posted:

Great episode. Didn't expect that at all. Glad they did that though as Eren was kinda annoying and his constant running into battle thoughtlessly SHOULD have gotten him killed. Looking forward to where this series goes from there. I'm guessing the blond kid will function as the protagonist the rest of the way.

I can easily see how, at this stage, people might think Mikasa is the actual main character of the story. But why would they think Armin is the main character? He's not even in the ED of the anime.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 6, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thoren in the anime thread asks a question that the manga readers would like to find out as well.

Thoren posted:

I've always wondered who would win in a hand to hand fight: Mikasa or Annie?

I wonder if we'll ever know the outcome of the duel that Eren flashbacked to at the start of Chapter 44.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serious Frolicking posted:

One problem I foresee with the anime is the scene where Reiner carried Armin while regenerating. It wasn't obvious in the manga, but I don't see how it could be anything else animated.

As Eiba points out, unless you are already aware that Reiner is a titan, you will most likely attribute the steam coming off his back as Annie-Titan's evaporating blood and gore.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

3 posted:

Until they train their pack horses to use 3D gear, the supply issue is probably going to keep them on the ground for the time being.

Cross-posting from the anime thread:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

Unless Reiner watched almost everyone he knew and loved killed either before him or in a hopeless death march, both of which were directly resulting from Eren himself, he's got to be absolutely insane to think this would work. Whether the humans within the walls are giant douchebags to the human-titans outside or not, you're not going to get the guy who you directly caused to watch the torturous death of his mother on your side. I find it highly unlikely that none of Mikasa, Eren, or Armin mentioned the trauma of watching Titans eat your family before your eyes in their years of training where every other sentance out of Eren's mouth was "Kill all titans". I mean, someone had to have asked why this kid is so hyped to bathe in the blood of his enemies despite every other person to ever encounter a Titan being content to just poo poo their pants and never mention it again.

Basically anyone other than Eren could reasonably be expected to hear what the Armored Titan and his buddy the Colossal Titan have to say. Or at the very least humor them. Anyone who has spent 5 minutes with Eren knows he's not that guy, let alone people who've trained with him for years and seen the Rage Titan at work.

Reiner and Bertholdt watched their childhood friend get eaten by Ymir-Titan, and they (Reiner and Bertholdt) are still apparently willing to enter into amicable discussions with Ymir.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lestaki posted:

On that note, what the heck can anyone do about Reiner? He seems invincible for as long as he can maintain his titan form, and he's not exactly weak if he's fighting as a human.

Reiner-Titan is not armored at the back of his knees, and he's vulnerable to holds and locks. That was how they brought him to the ground last chapter - one of the soldiers slashed the back of Reiner-Titan's knees and Eren held him down in a neck-lock when he fell down.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

SirDan3k posted:

It wouldn't be much of a flaw if that wasn't the case. It's nice to have actual flaws in the characters and not just the usual lip serviced Hero is too hot headed! (but not really) and Heroine is too timid! (but not really)

The character flaws in Attack on Titan are all fatal flaws in that they can get you dead.

Eren is hot-headed, Mikasa is emotionally brittle, Armin is physically weak, Christa has a martyr complex, Conny is not too bright, Jean is petty, and Hanji is over-enthusiastic about Titan research and reckless about the risks of getting within range of their snapping jaws. I can see how these flaws can lead to them getting killed.

I don't see how Rivaille's obsession with cleanliness is potentially fatal, though. And Sasha has no flaws.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 10, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CodfishCartographer posted:

Or maybe Eren will wind up being Jesus.

He did die and then was resurrected.

AnonSpore posted:

Hannes is such a dead man. Seriously the only thing that could make him deader is if he commented that he was gonna retire in a week.

The only questions is whether he will die bravely and with dignity, or die while screaming and pleading and making GBS threads his pants.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 12, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cross-posting from the anime thread:

Personal_Nirvana posted:

This is actually not true of course, but i found awesome.

A live-action movie would be absolutely amazing, of course. The only issue is, how would the movie end? There's already potentially difficulty getting to a decent ending point for a 24-episode anime; what would be a good cut-off point for a 2-hour movie adaptation?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
At this point in the story, is there anyone you think has plot immunity?

I'd say Eren is pretty much assured to survive to the end of the series - he's already been "killed" and then reborn during the Battle of Trost, and it'd cheapen things if he were to die again. Plus there are two critical plot threads hinging on him - the basement in his house and his father's experiments on him.

I doubt anyone else is immune, though, not even Mikasa or Armin.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AndroidHub posted:

I guess I didn't notice it the first time because it had no significance yet, but Reiner, Bernholdt, and Annie talking about ~titan stuff~ while the only member of their squad who's a normal human just kinda freaks out is golden. I had to go back and take a look at the manga to make sure that wasn't some weird addition to the anime, but sure enough, it's there verbatim.

It's good that he's prepared to die! :v:

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 19, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

of bees posted:

From over in the anime thread:

Well, he's kind of correct. :v:

I'm surprised at how well they're doing at guessing plot twists, even if they're right in ways they couldn't imagine.

So far no one has picked up any vibes from Reiner, Bertholdt and Annie being completely calm about running out of gas, though to be fair none of the manga readers (except for that clever dude on the animesuki forums) got that clue either.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Given the titan's eye color, it should be pretty obvious that it's Eren. I guess all that's left now is to explain how he became one (probably dad-related), and whether he can become human again? It would kind of suck if the struggle between man and titan was resolved by a human/titan defeating ALL the titans though.

He's going to be so relieved when he finds out that Eren continues to get his rear end kicked all the time even after becoming a titan transformer.

Rei_ posted:

But imagine if in like 10 episodes they have Titans with 3D Maneuver gear being launched from the center of the city like Gundams.

And I'd love to see his reaction when Monkey-Titan picks up the 3D gear from Mike.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 19, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feriowind posted:

I have been on a total Eren Titan drawing kick lately, his design is just so fun to draw (though maybe I just like drawing skinless people and some gore haha)! Hope you all don't mind some more art posts...

Your drawings of Eren are getting better on a literally daily basis. :drat:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

EVIR Gibson posted:

If you look at the last episode, both Reiner and Bert were very relieved she didn't get hurt. The precious lil' flower... that grows into a mad she-hulk when she gets hurt.

I think they were relieved that she didn't get hurt not so much because they were concerned for her well-being, but more because if she had gotten hurt, the steam produced by her Titan-regeneration abilities will expose the fact that she's a Titan.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

chami posted:

That would be glorious.

I'd love to see Eren being drawn simplistically like Saitama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cuchulain posted:

"Haha, ok seriously gently caress this poo poo, time to kill everyone and leave."

Bert is the most hilarious character, retroactively.

I still can't get over the fact that the Colossal Titan, the most recognizable Titan in the series and a meme in his own right, is Bertholdt. Bertholdt.