Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Because it seemed to be what was hinted at during the beginning of the manga? At least to my eyes it did, what with the talking about him doing it and thinking of a task, and having the form come to complete it.

The point of that was he only thought about stopping the cannonball so his titan form developed just enough to get the job done. It wasn't a different form. It was just an incomplete transformation based on what Eren wanted to accomplish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Besides the orangutan aren't all the titans around the same age?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's grim, but you won't hate all the characters the way you do in Evangelion.

You could say that about almost anything.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Go read Vinland Saga and become obsessed with another monthly manga.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Broken Knees Club posted:

If it's a lie, then it would be in the other direction. Although I don't see any difference between 100 and 1000 years. Any number past 80 means absolutely no (human) first-hand accounts left.

People don't write things down or talk about stuff, got it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

redneck sushi posted:

I suspect Annie has the same ability as Eren to control other titans, just to a lesser degree.

It is pretty clear that Annie has no control over titans. During the fight with the scouting legion they are attacking her, why would she order them to do that? It doesn't make any sense.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Titan Connie cracks me up every time I see it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

having questionable reading comprehension skills.

It's this one.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Kenny's actually probably about to cut the poo poo out if him because his loving name's Kenny the Ripper.

Which is rather non-threatening because his name is loving KENNY.

Guess which one is named Kenny.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

tentative8e8op posted:

I would imagine so.

Their whole slow paced attack on politics was my favorite running part so far and I'm sad to see it end(if politics really are settled). At the same time, though, I can hardly wait to see what's beginning to happen. :)

Change a few words around and you're talking about Vinland Saga.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I honestly can't tell if Erwin is just realpolitiking to blend in with Zackly, or whether being tortured for days by the Fritz government finally broke him.

I think he is just being realistic with himself about his motivations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Eiba posted:

Random poorly thought out theory vaguely inspired by this: Perhaps part of the power to change people's feelings has been in play the whole time, and perhaps it discourages any interest in the world outside the walls. This would mean that people who do then express interest in the world outside are, for whatever reason, immune to the mind control. Perhaps it just randomly happens in some people with 'strong wills' or whatever.

Furthermore, suppose whatever makes one insusceptible to mental influence also allows you to fully utilize the titan power in question. Because... reasons. That would mean that the fact that Erin wants to see what's outside the walls by itself would mean he's capable of saving humanity.

... Honestly, this random theory doesn't logically follow anything at all, but it feels like a neat and tidy idea to me, even if it's kind of silly. (No more silly than the manga's already gotten, though, with mass mind control and that kind of nonsense.)

That said, if it's a birthright thing you'd be right to say that totally undercuts the whole fight-against-fate theme of the manga.

Instead of birthright it can just be a rare, inherent trait.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

...Or a female character that isn't completely helpless.

Counterpoint: the remakes of Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead .

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Anyone else a little disappointed we didn't get to see a new design for the rage titan? I don't mind that there was no punching, but was looking forward to seeing Eren armor up. Maybe next month.

No, they aren't zoanoids.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Searching for houses covered in boulders might be difficult with the thousands of titans wandering around waiting to eat them.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
No coffee? What kind of horrible nightmare world have they been living in inside the walls?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

More important this means Reiner and Berthold come from a place where they do have coffee, so its probably also an advanced city/county with agriculture and industry. It also reminded me about that food can that Reiner (was it Reiner? I dont reall precisely who it was) could read

Yeah it was Reiner and it was red herring iirc.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It seems like both factions are various shades of gray.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
They still have to deal with Monkey Trouble. This may be another one step forward two steps back situation.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Berserk is deliberately paced my rear end.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

iamsosmrt posted:

I had a bit of a hard time following the action at the end and thought it could've used a few more panels. Seems like a rather risky gamble on Armin's part being that there was no way to know that Eren could do everything he did at the end. But I suppose there weren't that many options.

They have experimented a lot with what Eren is capable of so why would you think that? Like, it was still risky but not because Eren wasn't up to it.

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't they set up Jean as being getting better at that? Or did I miss him dying?

You missed Armin saying he has an idea and Jean saying something akin to "goddammit finally."

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Torix posted:

This whole story reeks of following ideologies that are based on hearsay and events that your ancestors told you about that may or may not have actually happened the way it was described.

That's, like, all of human history.