Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Watching the latest episode of the anime made me sad all over again for Ymir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'd just like to say that after the timeskip character development I'm pretty happy that Reiner wasn't killed back during their last encounter on Paradis. It was frustrating at the time but I like his character so much more now that it really paid off in spades.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Eeepies posted:

This whole episode really feels like Pieck's worse day. She figures out that she's being led to a trap, manages to get out with smart thinking, and then sees the 3D gear and remembers her trauma from Paradise Island. She brings out her trump card, the heavy machine guns, but within a few minutes her partner gets destroyed, her commander gets killed in a moment, her gunners get sniped, her cart gets bombed, and she eats an exploding spear.

It also really shows how the Power of the Titans is starting to falter. Between the three they didn't even manage to kill more than 10 (at least, that I counted) before being defeated, by a group of people who has been technology backwards for a really long time.

On the other hand, that particular group of people were so consistently menaced by Titans that they became -really- good at handling Titans in particular. When you compare their performance against the full Marley Titan team to how the nation shown at the beginning of this arc fared against the Titans, they've done phenomenally better.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
What chapter could it get to if the next season ends up being two-cour?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Saagonsa posted:

I was rewatching season 1 of the anime and I just had the thought Why didn't Annie eat Eren when she took him hostage? They knew he at least had the attack titan, and they must have known that eating him would take it's power for themselves. If their goal was to bring those titan powers back to marly's side that seems like the obvious choice.

They probably had orders not to do that so that they could choose a more suited inheritor of that power at their discretion.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah, you're right. That's a better explanation.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

EmmyOk posted:

So I guess Arven(?) is revealing so much info to bait the secret titans. That must be who "the true enemy is". Also why Armin was guessing he must be baiting someone by mentioning the basement so publicly. Also Levi also mentioned some people think the colossal and armoured titans must be like Eren bit this hasn't been brought up so directly since. Also looks like titan Annie is in the next episode!

I think you mean Erwin, with the question mark name. The blonde leader of the Scouts, right?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I recall it being a complete surprise to most people. It's well put together because it's the sort of thing that seems obvious in hindsight but really wasn't. I wasn't looking at these threads as much back then so I can't remember what the general theories were unfortunately. As I recall there was one person in particular who got it pretty spot-on? I don't think that was on SA though, I just remember people talking about that here.

Someone with a better memory can expound on that.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
My favorite name for that that titan you saw that SA posters used to use a lot was "Monkey Trouble". I don't know why but it made me laugh.

Edit: Thanks poster below me, THAT was what they called him.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 24, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

EmmyOk posted:

Trees seem good though cos then they can take on titans with the OD gear? They all seem unhappy about it

I think it's a visibility issue. It's better in cities because most titans are taller than most of the buildings.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This is currently one of my favorite threads.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Ytlaya posted:

Are you sure you aren't referring to the other reveal (which was something that caught most people by surprise, as you mentioned)? EmmyOk was referring to Annie, which I recall not being particularly surprising, at least by the point she was at when she made that post.

I thought they were talking about all three with the mention of the two other shifters, but yeah I'm definitely referring to the other reveal. I was introduced to the series through the anime, so I wasn't reading the manga until after Season 1 ended.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't even Levi limited by the fact that you can only carry so many sword blade thingies? They're used up when they slice a titan's neck, so once he runs out he'd be out of commission.

I guess there's the option of just having 10 people whose roll is "carry more blades for Levi."

That's what the people who are killed are for.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

EmmyOk posted:

Whenever I started an exam and read through the questions and saw the really bad ones hadn't come up I imagine that's how Titans feel when they see Levi isn't in a given troupe

This made me laugh.

I'll be sad when you've finished catching up.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Fun fact: The anime kinda throws this away, but in the manga Hange is gender neutral.

The tumblr for Kodansha Comics, Attack on Titans' publisher, said:

quote:

Isayama has confirmed that… we’re not allowed to confirm Hange’s gender. He has instructed us to avoid gendered pronouns when referring to Hange, or at least to use he AND she with equal frequency.

When pressed, they continued with:

quote:

[W]hat I said is exactly what we were told. Isayama-sensei has asked us not to use gendered pronouns to refer to Hange. When he told us this, we went back through Vol. 5 and removed the couple of gendered pronouns we had used for reprint. That is all.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
That's what I thought at first, but the "refer to Hange equally as he or she" makes me question that. You could be right, but right now I don't think it's possible to know for sure either way.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm jewish too and boy is that a bad take. I don't know why this person is taking the villains' viewpoint as the main one, and I don't know how they read the story that they thought the Marleyans' treatment of the Eldians was seen as positive.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah, fair enough. I wasn't really surprised to find out that actual nazis think AoT is on their side too.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Gabi's my favorite little idiot.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Beefstew posted:

Do you guys think that Zeke still might be in Liquid Ocelot mode and preparing to betray both Marley and the Eldians? He's the most qualified Big Bad, and not exactly trustworthy. With him on their side, the heroes literally have no opponents even approaching them in power.

We still don't know everything about the Titans. There could still be some surprises there that produce new threats.

Beyond that, I don't imagine all the nations will be excited about this new Titan-heavy player on the field. Remember that the entire reason Marley wanted access to Paradis is for resources to produce better weapons of war. Titans are still pretty powerful at the moment, but they aren't what they used to be and we don't know what kind of technology other nations have.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Mikasa DOUBLE can't turn into a Titan.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I remember when I thought that Ymir and Historia might get a happy ending lmao.

:smith:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is it now somehow impossible for this to end with Historia eating the Jaw Titan, so she could have Ymir floating around in her collective unconscious?

I didn't think of that. I suppose that's the best these two could hope for at this point.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I can't believe the Marleyans all loving ducked at the same time and became the main cast.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

theCalamity posted:

Man, they are going fast in the anime.

Yeah I expected changes but this is pretty drat fast.

I can easily see now how this season will end on that first shot from episode 1.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm sure she did but she's not an Ackerman, she's not bullet-dodging fast.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah someone's gotta get that girl a puppy or something before Eren dies.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I feel like the anime's current opening was made for people who are reading the manga. It's such a melancholy reminder of where some of them began versus where they are now, and it's a comparison that doesn't quite work as well with where they are in the anime right now. I've seen a lot of people not caught up on the manga not really liking the opening and I think that might be why.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I was rewatching some of the first season of the anime today and man poor Beard Titan was so close to getting his humanity back when he ate Eren. You really gotta make sure to chew when you eat a shifter.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I don't remember how graphic the Reiner thing was but they did also show Eren with his face just straight-up missing earlier in this same season. The neck-slice thing might've just been a matter of them wanting the scene to be really fast.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I saw someone in the anime thread expressing disappointment about the mind erasing powers and worrying it'll be a lazy way to cover up plotholes.

I can't remember, is it ever actually used in that way? I can't remember anything like that actually happening. I'm not going to go in there and tell them not to worry about that, it just got me thinking back about it.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Are we actually going to get some of timeskip Marley in this season? I don't remember the Shiganshina battle and the basement flashback being long enough to cover a full half (maybe a little more) of the season. Is there something I'm forgetting about?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah that didn't feel like a chapter end to me.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Yet if the perpetrators are long dead, who else but their descendants can bear both the reparations and retributions their victims (or their descendants) are due?

Or are the victims just to be forever denied their justice and revenge because "lol learn turn the other cheek, y'all"?

This story is not comparable to the modern American racial climate and the idea of reparations, where this sentiment is indeed valid. Modern Eldians aren't benefiting from the actions of their past leadership. Some of them are an oppressed population being held as prisoners by another nation in ghettos, while the others were for 100 years being oppressed by descendants of the same royal family that perpetrated the initial atrocities. The only people alive today from that family are Historia and Zeke, and neither of them benefited from the past in the same way as the Reiss family did. They've both essentially been prisoners their whole lives themselves.

Their past victims -are- the ones in power now, and have been for a long time.

Edit: In fact, I'm willing to bet that Eldians were victimized by the old Eldian empire as well. I doubt that throwing mindless Titans at their enemies was a move invented by Marley, and Eldians are the only ones that can turn into Titans.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 6, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Now there's something we'll just never agree on.

Interesting, so the people that all died in the Liberio attack, they are not owned a debt of blood for what the Paradisians did to them? And the Paradisians, are they not also still owed a huge blood debt for the loss of the first wall as a direct result of Marely military action, sanctioned by the Marelian general public?

Seems like there's plenty of modern day characters who consciously did horrible things that should be allowed to just "skate by" by this thread's logic because golly-gee, can't we all just get along?

Oh no wait, it's just the Marely who deserve to die, our heroes get a get-out-of-jail free card from the fans because they're the protagonists and thus can do no wrong.

Hell, this isn't even touching on the fact the real question this war is meant to answer once and for all is "who are the true heirs to the title of humanity"? Which I find especially interesting.

I don't think anyone has said the protagonists can do no wrong and that all Marleyans deserve to die. If you could try to exaggerate what people are saying less, I think that would be great. Up to now the conversation seemed to be about the sins of the past, so that's all I addressed.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm honestly not a fan of how many people dislike Gabi (Mostly in other places, I haven't seen much of that here) Like, I get it. I know why. But this is a heavily indoctrinated child soldier we're talking about here, she's got more issues as a kid than I have now as an adult. Honestly I feel like if Gabi dies that'll be a pretty good indicator of the kind of ending we're going to get. If she makes it and is able to work past her hatred I think we're in for a less tragic ending.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Sub Harrison posted:

Far-fetched theory: The attack titan's true ability is immunity to the Founder's (or any royal's) commands, thus the FREEDOM titan. The Ackerman family were magically infused with spinal fluid of the Attack titan, making them immune to orders (such as titanizing on command) as well as letting them tap into those titan paths for strength. The first king, fearing the rise of an uncontrollable Attackerman militia, put forth a plan to doom the Eldian race by commanding the other titan families into war. The Attack family however was immune and were able to hide their power away from Karl and Marley until Grisha's fateful counterattack.

I like this theory mostly because "Attack Titan" is a dumb, redundant name as all of the shifters have been shown to be pretty drat good at fighting.

Female Titan is dumb too.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This is probably going to end up one of my favorite chapters in the series. Isayama has done a great job with making Sasha's death matter. She was never very important to the plot but fans and characters alike all were very fond of her just for who she was, and now her death might turn out to be one of the turning points for the series. It barely even feels like she's dead.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Has spinal fluid been mixed with anything before? I'm wondering to what degree wine would dilute it/gently caress with its effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

JahRoo posted:

There have been a few instances of Mikasa and Levi trying to kill Reiner and Bert and being unable to for ~reasons~ which people might've assumed was sentimentality but it definitely seems like it was the Ackerman loyalty blood kicking in and stopping them from killing a shifter.

Didn't Levi kick the poo poo out of Zeke, who has royal blood?

I think Ackermans definitely have a tendency to imprint on people, but not necessarily on those with royal blood. For instance, the one Levi imprinted on was Erwin.