Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Giggily posted:

I'm more concerned by the fact that there are so many great threads facing humanity.

God this poo poo made this a pain to read at times. It's got so many little problems everywhere - worst comes to worst, go there this instance, defence, etc.

At any rate, read through the whole thing and am more or less loving it. The manga suffers pretty bad from same-facing, it can be really hard to tell who's talking to who. The hair styles don't differentiate the characters enough.

Not gunna lie, I was a bit disappointed at the start when Eren turned into a titan. I was honestly hoping he was just dead, if only for the fact it'd be interesting and something not really done to kill off the 'main' character right at the start, then use the rest of the story to show how the rest of the characters react and respond to the death. Also I was hoping it'd just be a story about humans fighting titans without too much anime magic mumbojumbo, but it's going in an interesting direction so I'm not really caring about it anymore.

Also, totally calling it now that Eren's dad is the colossal titan from the very start.

On the one hand, I do enjoy the slower-pacing of the story. On the other, it's going to take us loving years to ever find out what's in the goddamn basement.

e: ahahaha

lil baby anime posted:

Finished reading up to the latest chapter and drat this is quite a cliffhanger. I was hoping they'd go straight to the basement to figure out exactly what his dad did to him but it seems like it's gonna be awhile before that happens.

A year and a half later, and we still aren't really anywhere closer to the basement at all.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

What if Titans start out as big ones like Eren/Annie, but once they lose control they become dumb, and the human inside gradually is eroded away, as the human gets smaller, so does the Titan, with scale/limbs based on how eroded those parts of the human inside are. Certainly would explain the hosed-uppedness of the anatomy of the Titans!

I'm like 90% certain that most small/stupid titans were humans at one point, rather than being huge then shrinking down. Remember the one with gimp limbs in the crushed house? That was pretty obviously Connie's mother - after all it even loving recognized him, if I remember correctly. That right there basically confirmed that even dumb ones can be made fairly freshly from adult humans.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
While rereading the series, I saw this and chuckled.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
They don't even need to do that, really. They rigged up a pulley system to get Ymir's body up to the top of the wall - what's stopping them from taking up 120-ish pounds of supplies at a time with it? I guess carrying all the supplies when they're up there could prove challenging, though. gently caress it, just strap the 3d gear to the supplies and use that to drag them along.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Stupid unrealistic theory #4837:

Generalissimo Dallis Zacklay is actually Sasquatch. I base this on the fact he has a killer beard.

e: yes I realize this is "Armin ate Eren's mom" levels of stupid.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 9, 2013

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So, while rereading I came across these three pages of Annie talking to Connie and Armin during training. And knowing her background, I'm curious if maybe she's talking about her 'mission' from whatever leader ordered her to infiltrate. "If someone tells you to go die, will you go die?" may be some kind of clue as to what she was ordered to do. Then, she looks really troubled when she says "Then you just have to decide on your own." She says she doesn't have a reason for wanting to join the police force, other than "to save [her] hide." I feel like these lines may be foreshadowing what the human-titans' plan is, or at least their orders, but I'm not exactly sure what.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid with "everything these three people say actually has double meanings" but still, the emphasis on the last panel sticks out a bit for me. Maybe she was ordered to join the scouting legion to help keep an eye on Eren, but knew it could likely result in her death - so she opted to go to the safety of the inner walls?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

AndroidHub posted:

I'm looking forward to the probable flashbacks with Reiner and Bertholdt, wouldn't they have been like 12 years old as well when they attacked wall maria? And I get that people's papers were a mess after the attack, but I just find it too funny that they ended up with at least 5 titans in the same batch of trainees, it makes you wonder how many more there are in the military, or even just the 104th.

For that matter, why would they send all of their spies into the same class? Wouldn't it have made more sense to spread them out to different cities and groups, to make detection more difficult? I can sort of understand why Reiner and Bertholdt would be together, since they're needed together in order to dismantle the wall defenses, but why would Annie need to be near them as well? The fact that there are only three of them implies that creating these human-titans is either extremely difficult to do, or extraordinarily taxing on resources - otherwise they could have just sent a pair of colossal + armored to each gate and taken them all down at once. So if they're so limited, wouldn't it be more strategically sound to split them up, so they're not ALL in the same class? Annie obviously isn't part of the strategy utilized to take the walls, so why keep her with Reiner and Betholdt?

And who the gently caress knows about Ymir.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
You know, realizing that the first episode of the anime and the first chapter of the manga are called "To You, 2,000 Years in the Future" makes me wonder if this isn't going to wind up wrapping around to present day, somehow. Like this whole story is being told to warn us of whatever causes the titans, and there'll be some kind of time-travel bullshit in the last few chapters or something else completely ridiculous like that.

Or maybe Eren will wind up being Jesus.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
^^^It may just be differences in translation. Can anyone confirm if the first chapter and first episode have the exact same Japanese name, or is there a slight difference to the wording?
You know, now I'm wondering if maybe the wording of both phrases is just crappy translation, and it's more to imply "to you, this will be in 2,000 years!"

Hodgepodge posted:

Japanese stuff does the "to the future of this fictional world" thing a lot. From the New World does it in the translated novel page. Final Fantasy Tactics also comes to mind.

I dunno about From the New World, but in FFT it's kind of the whole gimmick of the story - that history remembers This Guy as being a great hero, but really the church covered up that That Guy was actually the hero instead of This Guy. It's established right from the very start that it's a story being told from a historian. Attack on Titan isn't nearly that up-front about it, which makes me wonder if it's going to be used as a plot twist near the end of the story.

Although, The very first lines of dialogue in both the manga and the anime are as though Eren is telling a story, so who the gently caress knows.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 12, 2013

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Not sure if this theory has been brought up before, but while rereading the manga something popped into my mind that seems really obvious, but never occurred to me during my first read-through. So, they couldn't find any breaches in the wall, and still don't know where the titans came from that are currently invading. We know that Connie's village turned into titans,and that Sasquatch can command titans. Wouldn't it make sense that Sasquatch climbed the wall, came across Connie's village and turned them all into titans? That would explain where they all came from so suddenly.

Taking this theory to absurd levels of speculation: Sasquatch is the 'designer' of the titans, and is pissed that humans keep killing them, so he ventured forth to try and find how they were killing them. In a few chapters we'll see another town (or possibly the village that Sasha is riding with) get turned into titans that don't have the weakpoint in the nape of their neck - as Sasquatch has learned to design some other way that doesn't leave the titans so vulnerable to airborne opponents. After all, from a basic design standpoint putting a weakpoint in the nape of their necks makes sense - they're way taller than humans, so humans wouldn't be able to reach it. But then humans made some machine that lets them fly around to reach it, so now Sasquatch has to think of something new so his precious little titans will stop getting murdered. Or worse, he designs titans that can use hilariously over-sized versions of the 3DMG.

Rolling with the 'Eren is Jesus' theory: Sasquatch is God. I guess this could also mean that Eren's dad is actually Sasquatch. Eren's dad DID inject Eren with something, that maybe was the cause for him turning into a titan - if the Sasquatch actually is Eren's dad, this may ACTUALLY make sense and not just be me being stupid.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 13, 2013

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah that's true, I didn't really think it was all that likely :v: I think that maybe the Sasquatch having some kind of ability to create titans is plausible, though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

For some reason Wikipedia supports this theory, claiming that Eren's old man has been confirmed as Sasquatch in the manga.

Hahaha what, this is supposed to be a joke theory that's so stupid that it couldn't possibly be true.

Okay, no wait, I got it. Eren's dad created the titans originally. He thought he figured out a way to be able to turn humans into titans that could control their powers and then turn back into humans. Being the mad scientist he likely is (or was) he tries it on himself, but it's imperfect so he completely loses his memory/mind while he's in Sasquatch form - like how Eren kinda just goes balls-out crazy sometimes. Maybe he doesn't completely lose his mind so he still knows he's human and can still speak and poo poo, but doesn't remember any of the details. Dunno if he remembers what he does while in titan form? In human form he continues the experiments to try and perfect the human-titan transformation. You don't age while in titan form (obviously) so he manages to live the full 100 years that mankind has been behind the walls. :pseudo:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
As excited as I am for the next chapter, I've just got a sinking feeling that we'll just get a debriefing of the people on the wall, with talking about and planning going after Eren or something. It'll probably wind up ending with a group running into trouble as they leave to rescue Eren, and then also Christa will go "Well, here's what I know" but then they'll end it, so we'll have not one, but THREE cliffhangers to wait ANOTHER month for. :suicide:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
When I first read through the chapter, I didn't really get the impression that Reiner was completely nutso. The Mangastream translation really gets it across better, though. The anonymous translation I found kinda difficult to follow along with specifically what Reiner was talking about, but this one seems a bit more clear in that sense. However, it still is kinda confusing to me what's going through his mind. Did he just snap and decide "oh hey, I'm still a member of the scouting legion, great work back there at the castle, guys!" or what?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm wondering if we aren't facing some sort of situation similar to Gunbuster / Diebuster. Aka humanity was fighting against titans like monkey trouble and made the humanoid titans to fight against him, then walled themselves up for so long they forgot that the titans immediately outside the walls aren't the REAL titans.

Maybe long ago some lovely leader issued a command to the titans to attack the people in the wall (or maybe that's why they built the wall in the first place) but then died before it could be called off. Humans within the walls have been killing normal titans since, while humans outside the walls have been panicking cus their main attack force is not only dwindling, but focused on a target that isn't the enemy. So they send Bert and Reiner to go wipe them out so their titans will stop being idiots and go back to fighting monkey trouble. Then they find Eren, and realize he can control titans, thus he can issue the order to stop attacking humans and go fight the REAL titans again.
There are probably plenty of holes in this theory, but it sorta makes sense?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sarcophallus posted:

At least it's not as bad as, "Diamond is not Crash".

I say Diamond is Not Crash gets a pass solely based off the fact that that Part had such lovely Duwang translation for such a long time, it's just so perfectly fitting.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
And here I was seeing 98 new posts and walls of black text thinking there'd been a new chapter, how silly of me.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

muike posted:

There's a 3DS one coming out (out?) made by Spike Chunsoft.

Dunno if that'll be any good or not, but for now there's this

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Going with the titan-shifting-can-change-your-sex theory: Mikasa is Eren from the future. That's why she's so intent on protecting him - because if he dies then she disappears :v:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

Too far. I'm going to have to ask you to set the crack pipe down before you hurt yourself.

I love my lovely theories, man. I'm not sure if I like this one better than "Eren is literally Jesus"

Although I guess that this chapter may disprove my theory that monkey trouble is actually Eren's dad

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

visceril posted:

Also, they do all ther mining in a big mountain in Wall Sina--iirc they're using some unobtainium metal that is neither copper nor iron to make the blades for the 3DMG. The mountain could be real, or it could just be some growth out of the giant titan that is the base of their world.

I thought it was implied somewhat early on in the manga that the swords were made using the titan hardening somehow.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So what I'm reading / theorizing is that someone (the royal family?) wanted to make a utopia, so they started making people into titans to make a threat against humanity, while also killing another bird with the same stone by using those titan people to make the walls themselves, giving them a safe, structured area to control completely (hence wiping out all previous records).

The humans that didn't wind up getting roped into the plan are the ones outside of the walls, maybe? And thus they are the good guys trying to undue the royal family corralling humanity for their own control.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PaganGoatPants posted:

So are the wall titans the human-kind and they just sacrificed themselves for it/the greater good? If they are I wonder what THEY know.

Good point. I assumed that Erwin talking about humans get turned into titans, then titans get turned into the walls implied that it was all planned from the start, and possibly that the titans were created almost specifically for building the walls. Considering that it's pretty much confirmed that most (all?) titans were once human, I'd also assume that the ones in the walls know just as much as the royalty.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Now that I think about it. Nick says that the wall cult and by extension I would guess the Reiss family doesn't know everything. So the Reiss family might be bad guys but I don't know if they're the ones behind the whole situation.

It'd be interesting if the original royal family that set the whole thing up kept their kids out of the knowledge of their doings. So the current generation of royals don't even know the history itself due to the government cover-ups. They'd thus be the villains without even knowing they were.

e: As for infiltrators being good guys, I could understand maybe that they wanted to wipe out the humans inside as revenge for 'unleashing' the titans on the world for selfish gains, but I'm not sure if that fits together with them not needing to once finding out about Eren. Maybe because Eren can control titans, they think they can use him to just tear down the walls by commanding the titans within?

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
This is probably insane, but in the big page reveal showing Capt Ackerman's face, he resembled monkey trouble to me. Then hearing his mention of some kind of anti-human 3DMG, with this taking place shortly after Monkey Titan took a 3DMG. This is probably in no way true but it's just a random thought that occurred to me.