Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I finally read the manga after watching the anime because curiosity got the better of me and then all it did was make me have more questions. :(

Everytime they start doing well and make progress some poo poo goes down that is totally unexpected. We got a titan as an ally? Nope time to lose a bunch of people to Annie. Oh you captured Annie? Time for some weird sasquatch to call in a bunch of titans. (Transform humans into titans?) Oh Annie bought you time to get Eren and Mikasa there? Time for Reiner and Bert to try to kidnap Eren and Annie.

How did Ymir kill Reiner's + Bert's friend? Where was their village? Shouldn't they have been away from their village to attack the walls?

The only thing I can hope for is that Eren somehow convinces them to go to his basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I mean why was she there? Why were they there? Reiner and Bert should've been at the wall to break it. Once its broken they have no safety against Titans so they should've hid behind the second wall.

Basically how does: They break the wall -> They make it back to their now unsafe village -> They're surprised a titan killed their family (Ymir is there cus ???) -> go into military occur.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

How do villages exist outside the walls? Also if Ymir is a human why would she eat people for sport unless it was a very early transformation that she couldn't control I guess.

e:

KittyEmpress posted:

The bit about their village (being attacked by titan) could also have easily been a lie, since either Bert or Reiner (I forget who) says he wants to get back, and has recently made it seem like Eren is the key to getting back to their village. Which implies that it wasn't eaten by Titans like he told Eren back in training.
But wasn't it an internal thought that she looked like the Titan that ate his family?
e2:

yeah they had no reason to bring it up so I'd say its pretty likely to be true.

Kild fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 20, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

There are lots of ways for people to live outside the walls, just not in the numbers found inside. A plateau, an island, underground, a smaller wall, etc.

This hasn't been shown though has it?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

Also, if everyone is a titan then they're probably a bit better defended than the humans. I mean, Eren barely keeps control and can take 2-3 each. As long as a huge swarm doesn't come, I'm sure a village of human-titans could defend themselves just fine.

And Hild, you seem to have missed what I said - I never said she didn't eat his friend/family, what I said was that the village you are assuming exists is not confirmed to be inside the walls like he claimed it was when LYING about his backstory

Especially since they're headed OUTSIDE of the walls with Eren, as far as I can tell.

Oh I see. But they're in between wall Maria and wall Rose.

Kild fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 20, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Begemot posted:

Gantz. There was an arc that introduced vampires as a rival faction who were trying to kill the Gantz teams.

Then after the next arc they were never mentioned again.

Well it showed the main characters brother and his death! It made such an impact...

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I wanna say its aliens based on the Ape Titan's curiosity with Humans.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

all titans are related obviously

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Missing Name posted:

Gotta say, this is the first time in a long while I've actually actively followed a manga. Last one was Fullmetal Alchemist. I got my sister hooked on this show too. She hasn't read the comic at all, just watched the episodes, and now she's bugging me. "Does X die?" "I hope Y doesn't gently caress up."

Do we think the good doctor has been experimenting on himself as well? I wouldn't be surprised if we find out he has a mega titan form of some sort.

A lot of people were trying to say the ape titan was the doctor since they had similar hair or something silly

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure the manga made sure to hide her nose with her bangs. The anime really didn't. Am I mistaken or did the anime change it?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Oh noooooo the anime thread people are picking apart all the secrets like they were nothing :smith:

This better not actually be goaded on by manga-readers or I will be super pissed.

3 posts up...

Asuron posted:

I think one of the guys a couple of pages back noted that one poster who was complaining about the Annie reveal being obvious had posted in this thread sometime last year. So yeah, the people in that thread aren't figuring it out, some douchebags are just going in there with knowledge on what happens and posting it as speculation to seem clever/cool or whatever.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Reiner also said Annie had a nice rear end in Titan form.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Could it be as simple as she ate their human-titan buddy?

She ate the titan-titan fruit: model witch

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I marathoned the manga so I don't quite remember but did the anime skip over the scene where Eren is in a well or is that in a flashback coming up?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

e: disregard

Kild fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 25, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

At least Ymir will be a shock.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://readms.com/r/attack_on_titan/49/2046/1

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

What are the chances Erwin is a titan?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Theres been some parallels between Levi and Mikasa, Armin and Erwin, but who is Eren's parallel? Some friend they lost a long time ago?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Early humans made a pact with the sasquatch alien titans to wipe out their enemies and this is the result. The remains being whatever Bert and Ernies village is.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I expect either he gets some new character development to tone him down or he is forced to sacrifice himself to kill all titans. This will also open up Mikasa and let her do whatever she wants and Armin can be the new world leader.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

We have some hints, via Ymir, that a human-titan is feral unless they eat another human-titan. Eren's dad allowed Eren-Titan to eat him so Eren would return to human form?

No we don't.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

Chapter 47, pages 6-7, Bert and Ernie are talking about the time Ymir ate their buddy. Reiner says that because of that, she became human again. Then page 15 of that chapter, Ernie asks Ymir about her memory of becoming human again and she didn't know who she ate. And Bert says he and Ernie didn't remember, either. And Bert says Eren doesn't remember who he ate to become human again.

I could have it wrong, I guess? But it seems pretty suggestive to me.

He didn't say because of that she became a human again. Just that because she became human again her 'position' (wanting to survive for christa and protect her while being an enemy of their village) was obvious because she stole their 'ability' (to get strong/survive the titanapocalypse?) and ate their friend. Also there's no evidence they were shifters at the time because they could have stopped Ymir then.

Kild fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 11, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Was the Annie stuff in the beginning of Ep 23 filler? I don't remember it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Megaspel posted:

Is there a name I could google or anything like that?

http://readms.com/r/attack_on_titan_btf/0/2034/1

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Hanji isn't a girl.

I also thought unambiguously that it was a girl, but Isayama has stated that they are gender-queer. Or at least that's what I heard, I cannot seem to find the source anywhere. (I also can't seem to find the source that said he stated that Ymir and Christa were an official couple)

Yes she is

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

No, Hange/Hanji was always supposed to be a woman (her first name is Zoe). The fans couldn't tell what her gender was when she was introduced because unless he draws the women with big eyes or eyelashes, it's sometimes hard to tell the gender of his characters. Japanese also doesn't use pronouns like english does, so people assumed otherwise.

He thought it was interesting that the fans started speculating she might be trans or simply masculine, but she is a woman. It doesn't matter if she was born with a dick - she's a woman. The end.

And yes, Isayama has confirmed that Ymir and Christa were a couple.

He also drew her in a schoolgirl outfit with Sawney protecting her.

Kild fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 21, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

So that stuff about there being walls underground was anime only?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

What is the schedule for manga releases? It seems like it's been at the same point for a while now while the anime airs.

Oh wait it's monthly, that explains a lot.

Around the 6th of every month

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

i300 posted:

Maybe it's me, but Reiner looks loving mad.

"This dumbfuck is the one we're forced to protect?"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Sentient set of incredibly skimpy clothing that needs Eren's blood to survive. :v:

Titan Eren in the sailor outfit sure will be a sight.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Holy poo poo that chapter.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Soulcleaver posted:

Irwin's gonna have trouble pulling off Jojo poses with one arm.

Until it regrows. :kheldragar:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mangastream normally does it a few hours after the first translation is out but they're slower than normal this month.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah theres no way he'll forgive them for killing like a million people, Hannes, his Mom, and all his cadet buddies.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Is it just me or is this translation worse than normal?

It's a Japanese -> Chinese -> English translation because Mangastream hasn't done their translation yet.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Syrant posted:

It's good to know it has an end planned out ahead of time, do you happen to have a source on that?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/09/29/video-attack-on-titan-author-mentions-plans-for-mangas-end

quote:

Volume 11 of the manga was released August 9th, 12 will be out December 9th, and according to Isayama, the series should be wrapped up by volume 20.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

That we know of. Mikasa was presumably getting injections so theres no reason Eren couldn't have been too.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the command could be 'protect eren' and it'll fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

Oh my god you're right, how could I have missed the ザ sound effect?! Now I'll have to comb all the times he pushes her for the ザ sound effect.

I'm not contesting this at all but that doesn't invalidate that throughout the series he has dealt with her in a way that at best can be described as "tough love". Dude has serious anger management issues and he (unintentionally?) abuses those closest to him several times.

Show some examples because the one you linked you woefully misinterpreted.