Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

"I heard your hardening training is going well."
"Yeah, now i can close up a cave."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Maybe they did before and the royals wiped out everyone's memory.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

So, i'm going to wait for the chapter release before reading all those spoilers.

Is it good?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Squidster posted:

The official release is up at Crunchyroll , and spoiler: it's good.

Thanks, i'm reading it now and uhmm. UHMMM holy poo poo :dogbutton:

change my name posted:

So does Eren have to eat all of the other shifters now to regain the one true titan god's original memories/powers?

yes, have him eat Armin please please

Also, the wiki has this, which is uhmmmm interesting

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 8, 2016

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I don't think the series are set in Madagascar either (i never thought it was set on Earth), but it's one thing to draw a map and have it end up looking vaguely like something from Earth and it's another when it looks exactly like something from Earth. The author definitely just drew while looking at a map of Africa. Unless something is confirmed I just think it's a fun curiosity.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

The manga doesn't make that clear at all.

Onmi posted:

I think the key point is when Grisha is reading the 'lost history of Eldia' and
someone goes "Wow you can translate that all" and he's like "Well barely... but what else could it say?"

This, but also:

It didn't question that directly, but it's willing to leave doubt.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 2, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

When i posted this:

Frionnel posted:

Also, the wiki has this, which is uhmmmm interesting

I didn't think it was right.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 29, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

the facts are constructed by the author. the author constructed it so a dude could be burned alive and fall a billion feet and survive. there it's all good stop being so weird yall

The author should still try to be consistent with the facts he constructs. Armin surviving that was reeeeally stupid, no matter how good the payoff was.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Honestly, I doubt Isayama had all planned and perfectly detailed since the start. I doubt when he designed the Armored Titan he knew about Eldians and Marley, and/or the nature of the titans and Edlian's bloodline and/or Reiner's origins.

And also, wouldn't the Marley officials notice something is wrong when the new Armored Titan kid shifts for the first time and looks completely off? I assume they test them a bit and stuff.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I like that theory purely because of the pun.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Isayama is good at setting things up, huh?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I had forgotten what a complete joy it is to follow the anime thread when a season is airing.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I'd love an effortpost of what the rumbling would mean for the enviroment on this world. All that heat from millions of colossal titans and the dust they're kicking into the atmosphere would probably gently caress climate real good.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

The Colossal Titans are also compacting the soil as they go.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

One tiny detail of the last episode: They changed the Hizuru lady drooling over exploiting Paradis' resources to her licking her lips, and made it a touch more subtle.

I wonder why (i admit i noticed this because i was looking forward to seeing it animated).

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Probably for subtlety’s sake, make her a little less cartoonishly greedy.

That's just the thing, i loved how unsubtle and cartoonish it was. Oh well :(

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

That was a rude cliff hanger.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

What the gently caress is this

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Why was my mom eaten by a titan that day, Reiner? Oh wait because i sent the titan there, nevermind my bad

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

It's honestly astonishing how Historia was completely excluded from the story after the great Uprising arc, and it's something i can't blame solely on the ending.

I kept expecting she would have something do at the ending, any agency whatsoever. This coupled with the bafflingly gross conclusion of Founder Ymir's arc are my biggest disappointments

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 9, 2021

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I never posted much in this thread but reading the discussion here helped me so much in making sense of all the twists and turns of the story and hype me for more. It feels bad that i'm only posting now to mock this absurd ending instead of appreciating a good one.

I think i'm getting comeuppance for mocking the people who watched GoT.

Edit: Poor anime thread, they don't know what's coming to them.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 9, 2021

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Honestly to me the Basement reveal + Marley arc is by far the most interesting part of the manga and i barely remember the very early stuff. It all feels like a prelude to the parts i really care about.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

But I think the killing of 80% was way too much. Killing 80% of the world population while destroying (presumably) almost 80% of the planet ecosystem would be pretty much the end of the humanity, anyway. Might just go ahead and murder them all

Look, Eren is a dumb kid from a circa 18th century nation with no formal education. He doesn't know what an ecology is ok?!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Wow did I miss a page of the last chapter?

:drat:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 11, 2021

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

That's weird because the paths are not what's wrong with this ending.

The spacetime shenanigans were actually pretty well done in this story.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Yes, but it's the conclusion of the story, we don't have time to deal with Armin's complicated feelings (or rather, Armin is not given the pages to do so) and the author needs to present a clear moral.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 12, 2021

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Giving Ymir romantic feelings for Fritz:

1- Doesn't add anything to the story that their slave-master relationship doesn't do already.
2- Is kinda gross!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

DamnitGannet posted:

I always thought it was super unfair that the eldians are considered dangerous monsters when the only reason they turn into dangerous monsters is because someone is jabbing them with spinal fluid. If you stop jabbing them with spinal fluid, maybe you wont have a problem??

Same. Other than the shifters, turning into monsters is something Eldians can't do by themselves, it's always done against their will and being a titan is probably a horrific experience (Ymir describes it as an "endless nightmare").

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 22, 2021

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Also they were literally bred into existence to be used as weapons of empire by the order of King Fritz.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

It's a touch odd and raises a few questions when the most simple answer would have been "their ancestors were non-Eldian minorities in Paradis territory who, once persecuted, were then given elevated status in exchange for their complicity in the mindwipe scheme." As is, there's the implication there was and is a sub-group within the Eldian ethnicity that carefully avoided ever breeding with anyone of Ymir's bloodline.

So, Hapsburgian inbreeding ahoy, I guess.

It's a nice touch that complicates the history of Eldia in a good way imo. For example, how many Marleyans are actually non-Subject of Ymir Eldians that just carefully switched to another national identity when the empire fell? Did they even exist at that point? We can't know and it doesn't matter at all to the plot but it feels believable.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that it's nice when this stuff evolves over time and the identities don't remain static for thousands of years.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 25, 2021

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

YF-23 posted:

The problem is that any alternative to a hyper-militarised nation struggling for survival is consistently portrayed as even more self-destructive. AoT tells you that to survive you need to become a monster - refusing to become a monster means resigning yourself to be a sheep destined for slaughter.

So does Starship Troopers if one only sees the surface elements.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 26, 2021

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Nevermind how all those colossal titans probably overheated the ocean and killed most of the aquatic fauna on the way to the continent.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

YF-23 posted:

All the good parts of the story from then onward have to write themselves around the existence of an extremely powerful slave warrior caste that is both treated as subhuman with no chance for redemption (even for, as we are repeatedly shown, the titan warriors) and also completely docile.

Except they aren't extremely powerful, because they have no way of becoming titans by themselves. Any eldian who isn't a shifter is just a completely normal human being, until their free will and humanity is taken away by someone else, through titan serum and/or Zeke's scream. And once titanized not only they can only act on basic titan instinct, the process is completely irreversible unless they eat a shifter or a mystical ancient worm is killed through convoluted means.

They also aren't completely docile. A lot of them have internalized the prejudice against them, yes, but Grisha's Restorationist Movement shows that Marley has to actively crack down on Eldian dissent. But they can't use their superpowers to rise up in revolution.

The only thing that classifies as a "powerful slave warrior caste" is the shifters, and there's a grand total of 9 at the beginning of the series. Out of them, one is loyal to the head of Marley, one is the head of Paradis who is bound by a vow of non agression, and five who are brainwashed child soldiers, which leaves only two who are actually able to scheme against the system.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 28, 2021

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Bisse posted:

To give a bit of a personal answer, this series was very interesting from the start because there was one, and only one, supernatural element: The titans. Everything else was strictly bound to the laws of the real world. You didn't have magic, or anime powers, it was all just real people dealing with a supernatural threat in an otherwise believable situation with no real tools other than hookshots and little dinky swords. So for me the fun of the series was how the titans fit into an otherwise realistic world.

Tangential to your point but the hookshots were always as fantastical as the Titans tbf.

It has been years and i still don't understand the concept for these visuals.

Conspiratiorist posted:

3DMG

The Walls.

The walls were quickly explained to be Titans.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

YF-23 posted:

They are extremely powerful because of the shifters, yes, who we are repeatedly shown aren't really treated any better than regular Eldians. Plus in the process of raising new generations of shifters the Eldian units of Marley's military have got to be the people with the best combat experience in the country. So between them receiving elite warrior training, and the best of those elite warriors turning into living superweapons, the dynamic at play becomes nonsense. Yeah, there is the Eldian resistance, but it's extremely impotent. Judging by the state of Paradis, all it has really accomplished (aside from Grisha's rescue) is getting all of its members captured by Marleyan intelligence. So yeah, I'm willing to call the Eldians under Marley broadly docile as a result, they are not putting up meaningful resistance. It would have been more believable had the titan warriors and the warrior candidate units been shown to paradoxically be in a position of privilege despite being marginalised, so that we could buy that Marleyan society is making some effort to maintain the loyalty of its living nukes. Instead we are just told that there's something to gain by becoming honourary Marleyans and only ever shown that turning out to be bullshit.

If you're limiting yourself to the shifters, then that leaves 5 (excluding the 4 shifters who have their own agendas) 10-ish year old child soldiers (at the beginning of the show, probably 20 at the end of the series) who have all been carefully indocrinated and probably selected from loyal families to begin with. Not the people most apt to have a complete understanding of their oppression, and the ones that start to understand realize that any disloyalty would result in death for their families and themselves.

Plus, there are things to gain from becoming honorary marleyans. I'm pretty sure Reiner mentions at some point that he could live outside of the internment zone if he wanted and they seem to be treated marginally better by Marleyans. Plus, the State does carefully maintain the illusion that eldians can be redeemed, that's the point of the Tybur family, and people really believe in that illusion. Yes, maybe the story could have elaborated more on this, but i think what's there is enough.

Also, it is an age where technology is catching up to Titans in power, so it's questionable what a single shifter could really achieve by openly rebelling before being taken down and eaten by the next warrior candidate.

There is a discussion to be had about AoT depicting a minority as actually able to become monsters because that can reflect actual real world racial prejudices. Which is why the story would always have to be really carefully with the depiction of eldians (And why i think the armbands were a disastrous use of imagery by Isayama, a lot of people understandably concluded that Eldians and Marleyans were specifically Jewish and Nazi analogues). But as far as the actual racial relationships in the story go, i think you're really missing the point here.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 29, 2021

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

It could be that it happened but the shifter was killed, and the powers were reborn on different people.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I still like AoT up to chapter 138, but let's be real, the chances of a revised ending are veeeery slim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

hatty posted:

I donít think the ending is fascist I just think it sucks and I have no energy to defend it against bad faith readings

Hell, same.