Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I know it reads more stilted, but I kinda like having (what I hope is) a more literal translation.

E: the basement has the head of the Statue of Liberty in it. "You took it all!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

At this point I think I'm more excited to go to Bert and Ernie's village than I am to go to the basement, so many questions will get answered when we find out what the gently caress the warrior's deal is.

The notion that the community behind the walls isn't the last bastion of humanity, and may even be a sequestered splinter is really interesting but without much solid foundation right now. I think it would totally fit and answers a lot about how the walled society functions - especially the wall cult.

What if that preacher near the very beginning was right in a way? Given that at least one coordinate exists, what if the titan plague is punishment for the actions of the wall builders against a more powerful faction with a coordinate of their own? The idea that instead of the inner city ruling class just being isolated autocrats, they are the descendants of people who lied and rewrote history to obtain total control over their citizenry fits so well in the setting. But then again, I never saw any of the other big reveals coming so what do I know?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I've been doing a reread, and it's fun watching Bert and Ernie knowing what we know now, but the biggest question I have now (beyond the big ones) was why some of the titans at Utgard were attacking each other in the opening pages of chapter 39. We know that 'normal' titans attack human-titans, but all of titans at Utgard came from the same place and most of them seem intent on hunting the humans inside, so why did one of the smaller class titans turn on another small titan while the vast bulk of them were sieging the tower?

So many questions, November can't come fast enough.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Doesn't the fact that Eren got eaten to awaken his power in the first place kinda shoot down Hange's hypothesis? It could be Reiss is in for a nasty surprise if Eren actually makes it there.

AP 3DMG is goddamn terrifying - as expected - but I thought the reveal was quite good. You can say a lot of things about Isayama's art, but he does a great job of conveying the horror of a given scene.

WRT terrible things happening to people: At this point I think Marco almost got off easy compared to the poo poo that the rest of the trainee squad has gone through and is about to go through.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Zasze posted:

Knights of sidonia is like some one took a bunch of lsd and watched battlestar galactica and thought man this needs way more hard sci-fi, intense body horror and for reasons I can only imagine were forced on the writer since none of his other stuff has anything like it a harem :psyduck:
Seconding this. While it's not exactly AoT in space, there are a lot of similar elements (if like half the cast of AoT had a crush on Eren.)

If you've only seen the anime, rest assured that the crazy train is just getting started with that series, and season 2 got greenlit as well, so more will be coming. The CGI animation takes a little getting used to, but the mecha action looks good, and I really like the sound design. The harem stuff is weird, but the setting owns (crazy transhumanist high tech sci-fi) the antagonists are goddamn terrifying and the characters are solid.

But seriously, that series gets loving crazy in a hurry and never stops. If you enjoy sci-fi, AoT and a shitload of :psypop: at least give it a shot.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Ah, I see.

On another note, I still can't shake off the feeling that the attack on the Central MP HQ is going to bite them in the rear end again, much like the whole "capture Djel Sanes and his buddy and then start a rebellion" thing did

You're probably right, but it's not like they have much of a choice. They're outnumbered, outgunned, and are fighting the propaganda machine of the current regime, they have to take large risks if they want any chance at succeeding. Who knows what they could grab from the Central MPs base, high value captives, incriminating documents, maybe even some of the new 3DMG. It's also probably the last place that the MPs are expecting them to hit.

Does anyone else get the feeling like Isayama has been lying to us and Jean is actually the main character of this series? Sure Eren is more important, but Jean feels much more like the protagonist than Eren at this point. How many times and for how long has Eren been the MacGuffin/damsel in distress now?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Brannock posted:

I'm surprised that money is a concern for the military and Survey Corps considering the state apparatus seems to have absolute power and they're facing an existential threat. Shouldn't the limiting factor be manpower, raw resources, expertise, and time investment, instead of something abstract like money? If they run out of money are they just going to roll over and go "Well we can't afford to fight off the titans anymore"? Obviously not, so why is it even a factor in their considerations in the first place?

Throughout real history, even in existentially threatening times, money remains a concern. The walled civilization isn't a command economy, and while it has totalitarian political power, it still has a money based market economy and a financially strong elite class, so for the current rulers to provision all those things you mentioned as actually needed, they'll need money. They certainly don't seem like they have the political capital to just start taking what they need and conscripting people at will.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Quite the cliffhanger to leave things on. Seems like the only way out at this point is the coordinate power, notice how Eren landed in a place and position to look over the wall and see Erwin's situation on the other side. Obviously there's no guarantees with this series, but it certainly seems poised to have Eren try to use his coordinate powers to turn the tables on Monkey Trouble.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Make Eldia Great Again!

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I feel like the Colossal Titan tactical nuke maneuver that Bert and Ernie used in Shiganshina is going to be useful even against WW1 era tech. As for the usefulness of titans in this new stage of the story, I'd look to the battleships of navies in WW1 as an example of titans in more modern war. Few in number, extremely valuable, quite powerful, but also very vulnerable to being destroyed by a single lucky hit.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

At this point I'm expecting Paradis to have done something like using Zeppelins made of titan material manned by glider 3DMG assault teams to capture all the ships. The dichotomy of titans vs normal technological development that's being established as defining the story of the wider world is set up to change. As Zeke mentioned, the unique history of Paradis has spurred a massive change in technological development, and that's with the widespread suppression of science and technology that was just unshackled immediately before the time skip.

Schwarzwald posted:

Not that we've finally returned to the myth of Talos, the giant of bronze from Greek myth who sunk all ships approaching the island of Europa, we can finally confirm once and for all that Attack on Titan is mecha.
Armin's titan form:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

He was crying from a dream where an older Mikasa was telling him good bye (changed in the anime to various things but mostly including bloodshed and everyone getting eaten by titans including his mother).

Also Mikasa was around and she's immune to the Founder Titan's mindwipe powers.

For all we know there's some kinda 'titan gene' that all Eldians carry, and some of revealed information about the powers of titans makes me wonder if all Eldians are connected from birth to some kind of 'titan network' that links them together in a very literal way. Maybe it can only be accessed in a limited way by shifters, and the coordinate having root access. With all the visions of memories past and future, and the fact that Eren had his before he became a shifter, it makes me wonder if that connection exists in all Eldians. If that's true, then Eren's 'memories' in the first chapter could be memory contamination from his eventual interaction with the coordinate, but could also play into some strange quirk about how the coordinate actually works as it relates to all Eldians.

For instance, what if the "Will of the First King" or whatever it's called isn't the disembodied consciousness of the first King, but instead simply the collective will of the people of Paradise who have completely accepted the myths of the Wall and are projecting that back into the 'titan network'. That opens some very interesting narrative strains to explore WRT the coordinate and the states who want to use it for their own ends, a kind of metaphor for propaganda.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

It makes me wonder if there's a blood type like property to titan serum. Maybe part of the reason the Titans from Connie's village were so abnormal (some were even eating each other) was an issue of serum comparability? If each of the nine Titans were the progenitors of the modern Eldians, perhaps each Eldian has a linage that has a greater affinity for a certain one of the nine titans?

Maybe the inheritance that occurs when a shifter's tenure ends naturally is the transfer of that titan power through the 'paths' to the descendants of the first bearer of that power. It could explain how the Marley are able to track down the power of one of the nine passed down in this way. They have the genealogy data and almost every Eldian locked down in ghettos so they can keep control.

It might also explain why none of the power of the nine were reborn inside the walls, they could be mostly Eldians of the Fritz lineage and so the power of the nine had a greater affinity for the Marley controlled Eldians than the Paradise Eldians. The Marley leadership certainly seemed sure that if Annie had died without her power being consumed, they would have control of her power again.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

It's only a hundred years or so since the founding of the walled country, not enough time for a single family to repopulate an entire nation. Besides, rereading chapter 63, only a small fraction of the people are direct Fritz descendants.

No accidental births of shifters into the walls is just the luck of the draw. People who have shifter power will try to manage it as carefully as possible.

I was more thinking that the original population within the walls were presumably a mass migration to Paradise and probably came from the same geographic region and as such could be descended from the same group - as you said it's only 100 years since the walls went up. In my wild speculation, both the Fritz family and their subjects descended from the original holder of the Founding titan, not that the Fritz family populated the walls.

Some of my reading of this is probably messed up by lovely translations, but the chapter 92 I read has Zeke assuming that if the Female or Colossal titans had died, their power would've passed on to someone on the Marley continent - not Paradise.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Gantolandon posted:

Finally caught with the manga. I didn't believe the stuff found in Grisha's basement will actually live up to my expectations, but it was probably one of the best reveals I have ever seen.

Right now I'm trying to find Eren's lookalike in Marley, but can't see him. Is he supposed to be somewhere in 093?

People are speculating that the shell shocked Eldian with the armband on the wrong arm and missing limbs could be Eren because they look similar, and that person's face has been obscured in ways that seem deliberate.

This chapter wasn't the big turn we might have been hoping for, but it's giving us more context on the relationship between the Marley and the non-Paradise Eldians and is locking in the end game. Specifically, the existence of Teiber family shows that the Eldian condition in Marley is more complicated that we first thought, and the meeting scene gives us more insight into Zeke and his plans for the Eldians.

I also think the chapter supports my general theory that there are clans of Eldians that have specific affinities to specific Titans, likely due to them being descendants of the original 9 titan power carriers.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Didn't Frieda's version of the founding titan also have female characteristics too?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if some of the titans, like the Attack Titan and Female Titan are even supposed to have any unique powers. Was the Female Titan's "scream and attract mindless titans" thing a unique ability of hers? Heck, even the armor titan doesn't necessarily seem to have unique powers, since Eren have been learning to harden parts of his body as well.

Didn't Eren only gain the ability to harden after he consumed the vial of armored titan serum in the Fritz hidden chapel? The translation of 95 I read indicated that the Female Titan actually does have some limited power to call titans - though I always thought that it was more just that a titan could scream way louder than a person and that's what attracted the titans to Annie.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

Same, I thought it was just that titans can recognize the sound of a shifter and that, when Annie screamed, they all came running because it was the equivalent of ringing a dinner bell.

Don't worry, some arc soon we'll meet Dr. Vegapunk and he'll explain how it all works.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Nina posted:

With the imagery of the latest chapter I refuse to believe the concept of titans isn't supposed to at least very partially be nuclear allegory. As an icon the colossal titan is the mushroom cloud of this setting and the geopolitical situation of the world is basically "What if nuclear weapons were incredibly finite so deterrence can't exist and whoever has them will be mistrusted and hated by default out of fear"

The Founding Titan... A weapon to surpass Metal Gear!!

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

JahRoo posted:

It's implied/shown that Eren snuck into Marley pretending to be a PTSD victim after the end of the conflict with the Mideast union. Amputee guy (Eren) has been showing up in panels since the second/third chapter post timeskip.

Presumably he and Armin were cracking ships over the course of the time skip, but there's nothing said that implies it was at all recent and/or would've disqualified him from sneaking in at the point in the story we're at.

That's also assuming that the Marley assessment is accurate, we have no idea of what's been happening on Paradise.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The Paradise folks need to use that anti-personnel 3D-gear at some point against Marley/whoever. Those seemed cool (though admittedly probably not as good as automatic weapons in practice).

With 3 years of focused technological development I'm kinda expecting the Paradisians to have created a 20th century version of Mobile Infantry. Thunder spears are basically proto-RPGs, and I imagine you could refine the 3DMG to support both firearms and swords with a bit of effort. Give them glider wings to deploy them from aircraft, and you've got a fighting force that's going to be insanely mobile and effective against titans, infantry and (potentially) armor. Remember that Paradise now has access to Marley tech from the warships, so they could in theory reverse engineer and use all of that however they want too.

Heck, re-purpose the modern artillery the Marley have into titan sized rifles and go full Meat-suit Gundam.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 31, 2017

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I don't see the "older Eren is a monster" reading supported so far. If anything older Eren seems far less violent than he was before. The cut hand and reminder about the civilians is Eren ensuring that Reiner doesn't do anything to disrupt the play or whatever plan the Paradisians in store.

The question is what exactly that plan is, we're being led to believe that there's at least two plots active at the play, and who the gently caress knows what Zeke is up to/knows.

I could actually see him and Eren being on the same page with regards to the Eldian Question, since Zeke rejected the Eldian restorationist plan, but does seem to have his own ideology that doesn't seem aligned with the Marley position either.

I also think that Eren reaching out to Reiner makes a ton of sense. One of the big themes of the new arc seems to be how generational conflicts persist, and how well meaning people can be turned into monsters by their societies and ideologies. To me, both Reiner and Eren are prisoners of this conflict and at this point both of them want it to end without more bloodshed. Reiner's committed terrible acts without question, but I think him being offered a chance to end the conflict is far more satisfying than him getting killed for destroying the walls. RBA were children manipulated into committing a genocide, Himmler and Speer they are not - and even before the time skip, the full weight of what he'd done seems to have started settling on Reiner, remember this?

Pretty sure that's Reiner starting down a different path from the path the Reiner we saw in the flashbacks was on.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 7, 2017

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Aumanor posted:

I'm not sure I wholy buy the "manipulated children" angle. Wall Maria maybe, but by the time they decided to breach wall Rosa they've lived among the Walldians for five years, had ample time to see that the propaganda they've been fed was bullshit and had perfect understanding of the consequences of breaking the second wall would have.

You could argue that, but I think you can also make the case that RBA were not free actors even by the time they attack Wall Rose. Marley had their parents - and the entire interned Eldian population in Marley as leverage against the kids beyond the propaganda they used to justify the invasion of Paradise. Additionally by the time of the attack on Wall Rose, they might've had more mixed feelings about their mission, but they also thought that their comrades in the legions would happily murder them right away if they revealed themselves - even if they were trying to defect (remember Bert and Reiner's scenes with Eren about Eren's motivations?) As you said they've committed some of the most monstrous acts depicted in the series, who wouldn't want to just kill them for it? This line of reasoning is further validated for them after the attack when they meet Hange "Titan Mengele" and her experiments, sorry kids it's not death you'd face if you revealed your identity, but excruciating scientific torture for the rest of your life!

I think the manga is trying to show you that RBA didn't feel free to choose their own actions, even when they were alone in Paradise - why else spend so much time on their side of the story if they're irredeemable monsters who only deserve death? They're trapped in the same cycle that trapped Grisha, Zeke and Eren. RBA did terrible things, but it doesn't change the fact that they were victims too, they're all brainwashed child soldiers with PTSD who were forced to sacrifice their futures (tenure) and were ordered by their elders to commit terrible deeds justified by propagandist fiction in the service of an apartheid empire. Reiner's getting the main focus for this, and it's harder to say what was up with Bert, but Annie certainly seemed like she felt trapped in her mission as well (see the whole "just going along with the flow" discussion with Mr. Bowlcut when she's in the MP, and her reaction when she's finally freed from her dilemma by Armin unmasking her as examples of what I'm talking about.)

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 7, 2017

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Aumanor posted:

Except they've lived for a year among the refugees and IIRC were taught over the course of their military training about what the conseuences of another wall falling would be.

They also knew that even if everyone in Paradise died, it wouldn't be the end of humanity - and they knew that if they failed, everyone they know and love back home would be at risk of being tortured/killed if they failed.

What would you do as a traumatized teen living a lie among people who you've started to form a connection with, but you know that if you don't betray them, everyone you ever knew from your past, maybe even your entire people could be killed by the Marley if you fail? Even if you did decide to to abandon everything and everyone you ever knew in Marley, you're pretty sure your 'comrades' in the walls would torture you to death if they even found out who you really were.

It's not as clear cut a situation for RBA as you're making it out to be. Remember that even without Marley propaganda, the Reiss kingship and the Paradisian military is a corrupt, cruel institution run by sociopaths enforcing a terrible government - the situation may be better post coup, but Zackley is a monster, and Hange (for as fun of a character as she is) is also something of a monster at this point too. Hell I don't think it's too unlikely that Armin ends up falling victim to realpolitik type thinking and going off the deep end in the name of pragmatism. I keep thinking of an interview with Isayama where he talked about how he was planning an Armin and Eren conflict for a later arc, and the issue of how to resolve the Eldian Question seems like a plausible breaking point for them depending on how they've developed off the page.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not really Zackley and the rest of the Military Leadership have been super on the level for the most part. They have bad aspects but they have yet to do anything actually wrong in their leadership.

Yeah, when I think of good leadership and government I think of an oppressive absolute monarchy governing though violence and fear, and run at the top by venal corrupt nobility and their crony MPs. As for Zackley, he may be a competent commander, but saying he just has "bad aspects" is underselling him IMO.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

So as far as I can tell, this is the same Eren that 3 years ago, while everyone marveled at the ocean, we saw with tears in his eyes fatalistically pointing at the horizon, wondering out loud if killing the enemies across it is how they would finally, truly be free.

That read doesn't really match with Eren's conversations with Falco and grandpa Jaeger, where it seems like he's become far more philosophical about things than he was before the timeskip. Also how do you read what he said to Reiner? Eren says that he wants the same thing as Reiner, and one of the main arcs for Reiner since the skip is about him trying to find a way out of the Warrior cycle for his trainees and I think Eldians more broadly. I don't think Eren's there as an avenger, I think he's trying to turn Reiner and as many Warriors as possible before whatever the Paradisians are planning kicks off. Eren pre-basement and Eren post-basement are very different characters, and I didn't think that what he said at the ocean was something he thought was good, I think he was asking if it was the only option they had.

E: Look at how the final page of this chapter sets things up, framing Eren as "the one who opposes pain and discomfort" in contrast to the bloodthirsty maniac Eren that's being portrayed in the play.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 8, 2017

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Reiner's faces have been a highlight since the skip, and the fact that this is a straight crop from the manga with no rearrangement is pretty amazing:

Feels like it captures Reiner this arc very well.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I'm wondering if Willy is even the true carrier of the Warhammer Titan, given that they knew about the attack beforehand and he was planning to be the target. For as explosively as that chapter ended, we still don't have a very clear picture of how many plots are in motion, and who is in on what. For instance, even though the other warriors were neutralized or contained, Zeke's still free - and his game here remains unclear. We still aren't even sure if it was Paradisians or Marley who trapped Piek and Galliard.

I''m pretty confident that Eren's attack was part of a bigger plan by Armin, and that the Advancing Titan destroying the stage will be the queue for a broader attack/operation - though against who, and for what goal exactly we'll have to wait and see. Decapitating the leadership of Marley and its army could be enough, but killing or capturing the remaining 7 titans out of Paradis's hands also looks like a possible aim as well - the question is where the gently caress Zeke is positioned in this mess?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Mikasa looking like she's ready to go fight some silicon beings and safeguard in that new uniform.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I think that it's not particularly useful or interesting to say that the Paradisians == any real world comparison, but if you felt you had to, I think a more apt middle eastern political comparison, would be Hamas, the PLO or Hezbollah.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

The series does a really good job layering hints and clues in that are really innocuous if you aren't looking for them, but really stand out when you revisit them. I've really enjoyed revisiting the earlier plot through the anime with full knowledge of where everything is heading from reading the manga.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Just don't Google anything related to this series if you care about spoilers, the results pages and previews will have spoilers.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I loved this reaction shot when they're on the tower:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I'm hoping the person who made this adds a third panel reflecting Armin's further development in the manga.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Holy goddamn hell Eren and his crew grew into some absolute stone cold motherfuckers. I can barely even describe this poo poo: Eren uses an enemy Titanís loving FACE as a goddamn nutcracker to kill another enemy Titan that has been reduced to human form and encased itself in a hardened shield. Then Eren loving shotguns the now unshielded and dying titan like a can of Natty Light at a college house party. Holy poo poo.
It's a lazy Photoshop, but:

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 4, 2018

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Looks like we're gonna get two of Levi's best scenes animated this season. I wonder how much time they're going to spend on the uprising arc, and how far into the return to shigansina arc we're gonna get this season, that's a lot of ground to cover.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

A full episode dedicated to Zachley's revenge.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

according to the leak I saw it's worse than Jean

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

JahRoo posted:

https://imgur.com/a/BWLp7zG

Typeset of a fan translation
:piss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

In memory of happier times, one of my favorite moments from the first season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r471bTY05ak