Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Sasha will fall to the Mr. Potato Titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Re-reading the manga with the benefit of hindsight is pretty drat interesting. Scenes like Annie being upset that everyone else is joining the Scouting Legion (Because it means she'll have to fight them) and Reyner/Bertholdt's utter shock at the reports of a breach in Wall Rose (Since it wasn't their doing) show everything in a new light. It makes me wonder how far ahead the author has planned everything out.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Zenzirouj posted:

I dunno, she would need a pretty serious redemption to make up for all the people she casually killed in horrific ways. Some of the stuff she did to the scouting legion was super hosed up, like when she grabbed that guy's 3d gear grapple and spun him until he was ripped to shreds. She could have easily swatted them away, tossed them, quickly crushed them, or just kept running, but she chose to kill them painfully. It was one of those things that really illustrates how little regard the human-titans have for the lives of pure humans, like a kid killing bugs.

I don't know about that - look at how poleaxed Annie looks when she crashes through the church and sees the splattered remains of the worshipers under her fingers. She also doesn't kill any of her pursuers when she's running away, instead opting to destroy buildings and force them to retreat due to the rubble flying everywhere. Annie also spared Armin during the scouting mission despite knowing that he was the smartest of the bunch and that he was most likely to figure out that she was the female titan.

I get the impression that her first attack ending in failure broke Annie's nerve. Before transforming in the capital she laments that she's failed as a warrior, and combined with her titan-form crying after failing to capture Eren it seems to me that killing so many people for ultimately no gain at all really got to her.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Oh, I agree - this manga has been pretty good at avoiding a lot of tiresome shonen tropes, so I don't see any easy forgiveness for Annie here. On the other hand I don't see her as some sort of heartless monster either. A lot hinges on her motivations, particularly since Eren himself ponders what cause could drive her to such violence during his fight with her.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Just a little something I recently noticed...

The skin around Pixis's eyes looks kind of similar to the patterns that Eren gets whenever he comes out of his Titan transformation.

It's probably just wrinkles, but the author has foreshadowed a lot of small details like this before.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

SorcerousHam posted:

Edit: Also is anyone else getting the feeling that taking Eren to the home village of titan-people by the duo that massacred his home town is the worst possible decision that Bert and Reiner could be making? That's only going to end in tears. Most likely Bert and Reiner's as Eren kills (or at least tries to) everyone they know and love.

Absolutely, but then it's clear that Bert and Reiner aren't exactly the most stable, rational people in the world. They refuse to explain anything and don't even bother trying to defuse the situation; Ymir had to do that for them. Eren has straight up sworn that he's going to murder them both in the most painful and brutal way imaginable, and there's currently no reason for him not to do that the first opportunity he gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Ymir pretty much pointed it out - Reiner's behavior until now was basically a constructed persona that helped his infiltration, to the point where he began to fool even himself into believing that he was a soldier protecting mankind. Suddenly revealing his identity and kidnapping Eren has shattered that fantasy and forced him to confront the fact that, actually, he's a loving horrible person responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people.