Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

I think it's that there are as many types of mindless titan as there are types of titan shifter. Deviants are a result of the fact that Marley has primarily used a single strand of titan serum, and so titans made from an other strands behave in a manner against the norm.

It's already been outright stated that titans made from Zeke's spinal fluid have the traits of being functional in moonlight and being partly subservient to Zeke. Presumably most other mindless titans put on Paradise Island were made from the spinal fluid of a different type of shifter.

yea but it was also said that nobody's ever done that before, so presumably what zeke does is because he's a descendant of the royal family. controlling the mindless titans is their shtick after all, so it's plausible his limited control comes from being one of the special titans but not the coordinator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'd be a pretty cool turnaround to have the people of marley attacked in the same way as they've been assaulting other places, specifically the island where most of this has taken place

wonder if they did anything with annie in the time since we last saw them. is she still a crystal? if not, is she still in the dungeon? if they found any more of the titan making stuff, they could even have fed her to someone else

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

Eren may have figured out how to use the Coordinate after 4 years, so Marley having more titan shifters may not matter at all.

a saddle for christa shouldn't need that long to make

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Ah yeah, that's right. I'm starting to wonder if the wall titans being so different from all the other non-shifter titans we've seen might just be a minor plot hole.

they're not different. titans require sunlight to move (this is why nick said not to let the sun touch the exposed wall titan), so after they were ordered to build the wall they couldn't do anything anymore because they were stuck in perpetual darkness

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's nothing to contradict his survival. nobody has died to falling or being burned yet. it's consistent, even if only because it's the single example

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Squidster posted:

The only time we've seen him use the power, he was shielding Mikasa. Christa was nearby, but certainly not in contact.

I think being in contact with Christa lets Eren access the memory of folks he ate, but doesn't supercharge his powers.

he was in contact with the titan that was his dad's former wife. she was part of a branch of the royal family that didn't leave for the island

that's why he flashes back to when he punched the titan

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

levi being the one that ultimately decides who lives is the only reason there was any suspense at all. if he hadn't been there, there's no way that random guy would have stopped eren and mikasa from choosing armin. levi being wholly in erwin's camp is why there's doubt at all

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why did Ymir go with them again?

reiner said they could save christa (remember that she knows about what's beyond the walls so there's no reason for her to believe she'd be safe there at that point)

she also did it to save their lives (or at least reiner thinks so) because if they didn't bring something back, they'd have been fed to other people to pass the titan powers on to people more competent. I never got that justification myself tho since ymir's titan was already one marley possessed. they still lost the female and colossal titans and when ymir went with them they'd only lost the first one, so it doesn't make much sense to me

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the stuff about how there's no knowledge of the world before the last century happens before the ymir stuff would so that'll probably keep people guessing

someone said that people wouldn't just forget that they used to turn people into titans, but that is actually what happened. just not in the way the anime thread thinks

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I look forward to seeing levi dismantle the beast titan in the anime

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the giant bomb quick look of that game is the whole reason I looked into the anime/manga

tho I'm not spending $60 on it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if I had to guess, marley just took advantage of the situation when the king left to go hide behind his walls. from what we know about the king (since it was basically the same guy controlling a different body for ages, right?), he probably wasn't murdering people left and right for no reason

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

You could say that for the mindless titans that are only normally gigantic as well.

you kinda can't considering the mortality rate of the survey corps even before the shifters showed up. they're highly trained with equipment specifically designed for killing titans but the mortality rate is still like 60% for just leaving the walls

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I feel like the rest of the world would still hate marley either way considering their primary source of military power is giant cannibals that eat people alive

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you mean reiner then no, the owl had already passed the attack titan on to grisha by then. that happened before grisha had even met eren's mother, so there's no point in which reiner can be around and marley can have the attack titan at the same time

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if we're going to continue the parallel, maybe eren will offer to save reiner's niece by bringing her to paradis to that kid that wanted to save her

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Balthesar posted:

If Eren eats the Beast Titan do you think he'll get to choose which form he transforms into or will he become a hybrid of the attack and beast titans?

we already know the answer to that since eren has the attack and coordinator. he'd be a hybrid of the three

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sub Harrison posted:

My guess is if Eren dies naturally the two powers will go to different babies, but eating him will stack the powers on the consumer.

yea that's how I figure it as well. titans have been around long enough that grisha must surely not be the first person to have two of the titan powers at once

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

season 1 and 2 both looked great so I'm not worried about season 3, but there's always the chance it could turn into berserk or something

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

man that beast titan transformation looks rough

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the first thing I thought when zeke showed up was how he looked like grisha

didn't think he was eren's brother but I could see someone thinking they were related

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TWIST FIST posted:

you could only see his silhouette though

someone in the anime thread just asked if the guy on the beast titan's shoulder was eren's dad so :shrug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you're born with a titan power, do you just drop dead at 13 years old or what

imagine a toddler with a scrapped knee who's really determined to grab a cookie off the counter and suddenly he turns into a titan

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked that arc, tho to be fair I did get to read it all in one sitting rather than having it drop fed to me one chapter per month

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

Considering that they only fit 34 chapters in 25 episodes, and 16 in 12, they'd have to condense stuff or just pick up the pacing in general to get to the end.

picking up the pacing for the political arc wouldn't be that hard imo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kyte posted:

That doesn't deny the fact Eren is extremely blase about Mikasa's craziness.

On the other hand, they made friends by murdering a bunch of robbers.

eren is profoundly bad at understanding mikasa on every level so he probably doesn't even notice it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

Hell, do we know if Marley allowed any of the shifters to die a "regular" death? It sounds like they're super cautious of sending them out into battle when there's any danger at all.

are they really tho? I mean, they sent half of them alone into hostile, titan infested territory. all of them but zeke were also children. they could have lost 3 shifter powers had ymir not decided to save reiner and bertoldt

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 23, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

man reiner's life sucks doesn't it

every time I think his backstory is done making GBS threads on him, it does it again

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

to be fair, if reiner had gotten eaten by ymir instead of the actually competent guy, they'd have been utterly screwed by mikasa or levy. annie and bert had ways to counter them but the jaw titan would have been insanely dead

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

realistically speaking, I doubt neighboring countries particularly care about the finer details on who the giant cannibals sent to eat them alive are. eldians or marleyans, it's all the same in this case

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chapter's up in english

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shingeki-no-Kyojin/Chapter-096?id=376940

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's important but we already have context for what they did after joining the military. we've seen their thoughts on what they did after joining up (like when bertholdt was responding to eren and connie after they kidnapped eren or the flashback to the first titan attack they went through as members of the survey corps). I don't think we need more flashback at this point for this subject

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I would also suggest trying the anime

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well now that it's pretty much confirmed that the wounded soldier is eren, I'm really curious about his leg. either he cut it back off after it started to grow in again or they found a way to halt the titans' regeneration

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

we don't have any information on that but it's not that surprising some people that weren't eldians ended up there if the king moved voluntarily. 100 years isn't so long that some of them couldn't have avoided marrying into an eldian family as well

at this point, guessing is all we can do about mikasa's family on her mom's side tho

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hell yea I've been waiting to see some of the poo poo levi pulls animated

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

I AM SO loving HYPED FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

after breaking the wall, I don't think the trio had any choice but to hard commit. they couldn't leave or they'd die; they could defect or they'd die

Schwarzwald posted:

We don't know what Eren is thinking.

yea and I can't wait to see where he's going with this. the way this is set up makes him look pretty sinister tho for sure

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

I mean, I understand your point but this turned out to be untrue. The warriors returned not only empty-handed but two shifters down, and the casualties would have been even greater if not for Zeke and Pieck's intervention and Ymir's willing sacrifice. We also see that there is apparently no retribution for the families of the warriors who failed: Reiner's family survives unscathed and Gabi is being groomed for succession despite Reiner's fuckups; Porco was still allowed to inherit the Jaws Titan even though Marcel got eaten by Ymir; Annie's dad is alive and well (if delusional about the fate of his daughter as far as anyone can tell); and Bertolt's dad survived long enough to pass away naturally (assuming there's no funny business with that coma he fell into...).

they didn't return empty handed. maybe they didn't get a titan but they did get information, specifically on the fact that the founding titan is with someone that can't use it properly

they could have been instantly fed to the next in line for the power but they were left to live out the rest of their time. that's about as good as reiner could hope for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

It wasn't actually shown so I wouldn't assume it's 100% true.

doesn't someone else have the jaw titan now

because she has to have been eaten by that person for that to work