Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

I dunno if this is already a thing, but building on jokes regarding the Bert/Reinie naming scheme, can we refer to Annie and Beast Titan as Big Bird and Grover, respectively? I've become enamored with the idea of mixing AoT and Sesame Street.
Oh poo poo, this is a thing, somehow:
http://imgur.com/umbmG3q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Is the series nearing its conclusion? Didn't they say it was going to be around 20 volumes at some point? If so, are they planning on airing the next season of the anime straight through the final chapters, maybe even releasing them at the same time?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Syrant posted:

This really makes me even more irritated with how they handled Annie in the animation, the weird loving way they did the bit when she knew her cover was blown in the anime versus the manga (not to mention they left out Eren asking her to show him that move she just did). Then the way she didn't react when she ended up crushing most of the church of those wall cultists in the anime versus the panel in the manga where she had a look of horror on her face realizing what she just did/what happened.

The latter really bugs me a lot more because this chapter here really underlines her having a conscience with how they leverage her into ripping off Marco's 3DMG. I would really like it if Annie could redeem herself but with all the soldiers she's kill there is no way she could avoid consumption by Eren or execution
or Hanji going all Mengele trying to figure poo poo out.

Otherwise this was probably my favorite chapter in recent memory.
I watched the show before reading the comic, and I totally got the impression that Annie felt guilty when that happened. There's definitely a reaction shot in there.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I don't get what you mean by that character allusion? He becomes gay and gets horrible acne? Harkonnen was never brainwashed, was he?

I believe he's referring to how Alia's genetic memories combine with her other psychoses to effectively resurrect the Baron within her to possess her body in Children of Dune.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

genericnick posted:

Yeah sorry, but I think Dune spoilers are OK in most contexts.

I mean, Dune frequently spoils itself, between the pre-chapter epigraphs and the fact that its main characters are prescient. The interesting stuff comes from the way those events play out with the characters on more emotional levels and in regards to the overarching themes of the novels.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

change my name posted:

Can't wait until AoT introduces the lost space jews.
I frequently forget that there are even any books after God Emperor, since it's such a perfect ending to the series.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

This comic is so good. I can't wait to see the anime version of this chapter in 2040!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I really want to see a heel-face turn from Annie, but then I remember all the people she murdered.

Then again, so did Eren.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The show is honestly better than the manga. Pretty much all the changes it makes improve the overall experience, especially its reordering of scenes. The show made the Annie reveal a lot more tense by shifting things around a bit. I think this previous episode worked better for the same reason.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

RatHat posted:

Wait did they change Hanji's name to Hans for the dub?

I haven't watched the dub, but her name should be probably be "Hansi", honestly. It's a gender-neutral German name, and I imagine "Hanji" is a mistranslation that became official, a la the title.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Kerning Chameleon posted:

One of my favorite moments. Armin's really the only character I still have respect for at this point, in that he realizes how unrepentantly monstrous he is, but is also willing to just own it.

Mikasa knows that she's crazy and has an unhealthy death wish, she just doesn't let it stop her. Eren, however, is completely oblivious to how nuts he is.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah if anything I feel it's very anti-fascistic in how it portrays the fascist governments in the series. It definitely does not portray the marleyans or walldians in a positive light at all.

This, and every single person in the military is batshit insane and amoral.
People who think AoT is fascist are probably the same people who think Starship Troopers (Veerhoven's) is fascist.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

Didn't help Verhooven.

AoT is already blatant enough anyway. You even get an "are we the baddies?" moment when the protagonists start using enhanced interrogation on people they know, for a fact, are monsters who regularly commit torture and murder of innocents.

And then one of them loving breaks down and starts crying, confessing from the very bottom of his heart how he has been doing all this poo poo out of sheer loyalty for his nation, while loathing himself every second of it.

Contrasting the scene later where Zackly is torturing that dickass noble, because while some people have noble intentions in their hearts for the ruthless decisions they make, there are also people who are just hosed up.

Not to mention that two of the most sympathetic characters are Reiner and Annie.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Fruitsnacks posted:

Is this why people get so defensive every time this topic comes up? Literally no one is saying you're a bad person for liking this manga and it's OK to like problematic media (within reason, of course). As for whether or not AoT is truly problematic, who knows? I'm waiting until it's over before I decide because I've been wrong about it before. I think people's interpretations have been pretty reasonable so far though.

I actually was called out, albeit not in this thread, for liking AoT by someone who was accusing it of being racist right-wing propaganda. I'm mainly just baffled by how so much of the stuff, especially regarding Eren's unstable psychology, goes completely over people's heads. And the people who argue that it is fascist are constantly moving goalposts as the story takes new turns. First it was fascist because it was glorifying the military standing against the monstrous foreign herds. Then it's fascist because it's showing sympathy for Marleyan characters who are putting the people from the previous category in concentration camps. Then its fascist because the people in concentration camps are angry about that. There's so many mixed metaphors in these arguments that it really highlights how little they actually engage with the text.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Atreiden posted:

Man that was a wild chapter. Really looking forward to the next. I do hope we soon get some scenes from back on Paradise Island, to see what have changed there.

#WheresAnnie2018

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Perhaps I missed something, but can someone explain to me what possible motivation Zeke could have for helping the Paradis folk? He's been practically the main villain for a while now, and although they've significantly humanized him, I'm not sure why he would have a heel-face turn. I think Reiner and Annie are more likely candidates for that.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Donkringel posted:

I'm thinking change of plans. He didn't kill the scouting force and capture Eren. So now that Eren is here he helps them out.

I'm guessing he is serving the landbound Eldian people, and the paradisian's are the most direct route now, while in the past capturing Eren would have been his most direct route.

Side note: how the gently caress is everyone talking to each other in Titan form? I didn't think they could talk besides monkeytrouble. But here everyone is acting like they are piloting a meatsuit mech with walking talkies.

I'm pretty sure Ymir/Jaw Titan is able to do it. Maybe Cartman is too?
Honestly, Eren's Titan just kinda sucks when you think about it.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The rearrangement of scenes that started in Season 1 and escalated in Season 2 improved things overall. The anime does a better job of withholding information from the audience to make circumstances more suspenseful. It really files like a more polished draft of the manga to me, so I have no problem with changes to S3 that the Internet seems to be freaking out about.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I'm also almost 100% sure that Hanji is actually supposed to be Hansi, a gender neutral German name, but it got mistranslated somewhere along the way - either when Isayama was adapting it, or when the series was being localized.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Attack on Titan's plot twists are so loving good it astounds me. Even if you know what's coming, the execution of every scene is so good. Like in the anime when Annie is formally revealed, the audience has definitely figured it out by that point, but the show deliberately denies them the knowledge that the protagonists have figured it out too. So when you think Annie is leading them into a trap, it's actually the opposite (and then she reverses that situation, too, in true Jojo's style).
The Bert and Ernie reveal is incredible. In the anime, they are literally off-screen and muttering it in the background. When I watched with my friends, they all did a double-take.
The fact that Isayama can set up all these BIG MYSTERIES and still have the ultimate reveals be satisfying is something I'm supremely envious of. I was certain that the basement was gonna be lame, but man was it something else.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Beast Titan's "Not yet, eh?" might be my favorite moment in the anime. It's not only a response to Erwin's speech and a comment about his own hesitance to immediately assault the walls, it's also a fourth-wall break telling you to wait for another season.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Seeing as how Eren had to quickly improvise and use Jaw Titan to crack open the Warhammer's cocoon, that means Annie is okay, right?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Teenagers on woke Twitter and Tumblr are idiots who can't tell what anti-fascist framing is. News at 11.
Like, the level of irony and satire in this series is so thick, so foregrounded that you'd have to be a loving moron not to see it (or not actually reading it or engaging with the text, which is also par for the course). As someone mentioned just a few posts above, the theme songs in the anime are virtually parodies of gaudy fascist propaganda, calling on soldiers to kill themselves in droves for a cause they don't understand and ultimately proves to be a manipulation courtesy of the powers that be. This critique permeates every chapter of the manga - the military and warfare in general are hardly glorified here. My roommate is Jewish, and she recognizes the obvious parallels in the series but understands the framing. You could potentially make an argument that the series is saying "violent extremism is bad on both sides", which could be potentially problematic if it was actually doing a 1:1 allegory (which it isn't), but I can't possibly see how someone who's actually read the series can read any modicum of Holocaust justification in this.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

DaveKap posted:

That random Twitter person has 493 followers and isn't a foremost expert on either the manga or race studies so instead of posting about her opinion let's all talk about something really important...

24 episodes for the entire uprising arc?! I don't see that happening. The author really thought it needed more time? Seriously? No no no. Unless they plan on adding some poo poo that even manga readers don't know yet, like whatever happened with Annie, I really don't see any good reason to spend that much time. That being said, how long does it usually take for an unannounced-air-date anime to air after a trailer for it comes out? This has to be coming this year, right?

It could be that they're only showing stuff from Uprising, but they plan to do Return to Shiganshina as well.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Do you guys think that Zeke still might be in Liquid Ocelot mode and preparing to betray both Marley and the Eldians? He's the most qualified Big Bad, and not exactly trustworthy. With him on their side, the heroes literally have no opponents even approaching them in power.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

And we get the Colossal/Armored/Beast Titan fight before the basement, which will be loving sick to see animated.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I'm not sure if the poo poo-machine will be included, but I'm stoked for the Freida-Grisha fight.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

It should end with a small flash-forward preview of Eren bursting out from underground and crushing a bunch of people.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Thoughts:

- "Why are you so popular? All you do is sleep." drat, called out.
- RIP poo poo machine. I guess it's fortunate that they included you in the anime, since you're now a critical plot point.
- Eren is the biggest loving bastard and I love it.
- Shinzou wo Sasageyo as a rallying cry for violent extremists? Why I never! It's not like the S2 OP was super on-the-nose about satirizing the most fascist-sounding anthem ever and showing that the conflict is totally different from the stuff portrayed in the propagandist OPs. And now Eren's got a cult of radicalized nationalists!

Goddamn this series.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I honestly don't know Pieck plans to do - as if she could take on ANY of the current players without getting loving stomped in like 2 seconds.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

ATP_Power posted:

I'm guessing she isn't alone.

Yeah, I'm sure her chances are dramatically loving improved with the inclusion of designated jobber Galliard and "Get in the loving Meat Robot" Reiner.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

ATP_Power posted:

Cart and beast are the only two titans that can talk too.

Ymir was able to talk using Jaw, I think.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Zeke is almost definitely doing some Liquid Ocelot poo poo. I think he's genuine about wanting to destroy Marley, but I think he has it in for lots of other folks too. He's still gonna be the final villain.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Piriwi posted:

Also after listening to the anime I feel that Hange should probably be translated as Hansje or Hansi, which are diminituive/female forms of Hans.

Donkringel posted:

I think Zeke is being sincere when he says he wants to destroy Marley.

He's just leaving out that he intends on destroying every other nation in the world. Eren won't be down for that, so therein would be their conflict.

These two unrelated conjectures are both probably true.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I imagine this is partially due to the typhoon that hosed up Japan, and partially to give the manga some more time to close in on the ending.

Apparently each episode for the past several weeks has had like 3 animation directors and 20 key animators. The production company seems to have fallen behind schedule and has been struggling for a little while to make up for it. The break is likely to reduce that, and to make sure RtS is good, considering it'll ben an action-heavy arc with lots of animation.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Reminder that Zeke is literally Liquid Ocelot and we're still waiting to see where that roulette wheel for his true intentions stops on.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I hope Eren isn't mind controlled or something dumb. I'd like it better if he's just finally taken that inevitable plunge into the deep end that he's been teetering towards.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

theCalamity posted:

gently caress Eren.

Jesus H. Christ.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Even if he's faking, Eren is still a genocidal maniac, terrorist, and war criminal who exploits, betrays, and abuses his friends and loved ones. He's irredeemable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

So are basically just trying to figure out if Eren is more Alia Atreides or more God Emperor Leto II?