Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

FYI, fan translations have screwed up that part by attributing one of Ymir's speech bubbles to Reiner. Here's an analysis of how the dialogue is supposed to look:

http://papermoon2.tumblr.com/post/68581043204/i-received-vl-9-too-maybe-im-not-a-legit-english

Conclusion: Reiner might be lying to ingratiate himself with Ymir, he might be bi, or he might really be that hosed up mentally. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

So, who did Grisha eat to become a titan in the first place? Or should we assume he used the same serum to transform himself first when he devoured the Reiss family? If so, how did he create it? I guess the secret in the basement involves creating titans, or maybe the big secret is if you know how to create titans, then you also know how to un-create them

I can't say I am happy about this development. I foresaw it, but I was hoping Grisha would reappear at some point.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I wonder, if Grisha knew he was going to be eaten or was planning on letting himself die, why didn't he say "our memories will teach you what you need to know"? He must have known Eren would gain his memories too.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I think the more important question is: how many Titans could Sonic the Hedgehog kill? With his super speed and knack for striking repeatedly at his enemies' weak-spots, could any Titan stand against him!?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

The connection was established back when Levi was first introduced because aside from her mom, they were literally the only two Asian people we had seen.

The Ackerman name(/bloodline) comes from Mikasa's father. Her Asian mother has nothing to do with it (so far as we know). Besides, Levi isn't Asian.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

And Bertolt just wants to be even taller.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

If Historia transforms, how will she be transformed back? A shifter would have to sacrifice themselves to restore her back to normal.

But now that I mention it, what's crueler: Annie or Ymir? Annie's on hand as a sacrifice (though I'm not sure she can be consumed in her crystal), and giving Historia the ability to get hard and plug the walls will complete her association with the Wall Titans. Conversely, Ymir somehow finding out and sacrificing herself so that Historia can return to normal is way more tragic.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

I got up to episode 23 of the anime on Netflix, realized I was sick of the story, and looked at Wikipedia to find out what's in the loving basement. I'm not really surprised to find that's an unknown detail, but I am curious about other details and don't feel like either reading the manga or watching any more of the anime. Is there a single, comprehensive plot summary somewhere I can read and satisfy my curiosity about what happens to these morons?

Monkey Trouble, Ackerman, scat fetish, herring can
Erwin's armless, Kenny Ripper, Armin shot that chick
Memory wipe, wall titan, coordinate, revolution
Wall Maria, Historia, Rod Reiss is a dick

Annie fell, Utgard, Eren still cannot get hard
King Fritz, Marlo and Hitch, no one knows what Hange is
Connie's village, Bertolt sweats, Reiner's hosed up in the head
Hannes had guts, Marco's alive, and nothing's in the basement.

We didn't stop the titans
They're still advancin'
Seid Ihr das Essen?
No, we didn't stop the titans
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Eren, don't you dare let yourself get eaten, you wanker.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Eiba posted:

Thinking about it further, this actually makes Annie, Berthold and Reiner's actions... almost morally justifiable! Wow! Consider- titans roam the world. You live outside the walls, and your life is hell. Inside the walls- all the way at the very center- is an individual who can erase all the titans from existence. Especially if there's a large population living outside the walls somehow, getting at that power would be worth it no matter what, because no matter how many people die along the way, ridding the whole world of titans is going to save more people in the long run. Pretty much all their actions make a lot more sense now.

I really dig the theory that at one point in time there was a forth wall, and RBA's village was located within it. Then, the wall got breached, and, instead of sending the titans away or destroying them, the person with the Coordinate engineered a mass-memory wipe in the three remaining walls and left the people in the fourth wall to their fates (the theory goes that without Grisha's intervention, Freida would have done the same thing when Wall Maria was breached, which was why the entire Reiss family was gathered). This makes RBA's attacks on the Wall understandable: if their village was constantly in danger and they had essentially been screwed over by the Royalty, then they had no choice but to breach the walls and try to reclaim the Coordinate so that they could save their people.

I like this interpretation because I feel RBA's village needs to have some prior connection to the people in the walls so that they would reasonably know about the Coordinate ahead of time. If they were a completely distinct group, I feel like it would be contrived for them to have such intimate details about the monarchy and the secrets of the regime. The revelation that they were once apart of the wall people and were abandoned and betrayed goes a long way into explaining RBA's monstrous actions as well.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

He was a shifter. He triggered his transformation by inflicting self-harm, rather than using an injection. He also exhibited signs of intelligence as a titan like a shifter would (he killed the Reiss family to kill them, he didn't eat them like a mindless titan would).

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

Eren, don't you dare let yourself get eaten, you wanker.

!!!!!

But now I am confident that he won't be eaten. If it was going to happen, it wouldn't have been drawn out like this. The fact that Eren has made peace with it and Historia has gone past the point of no return means that the cruelest twist will be for Eren to be rescued, so that's what will happen.

But someone is going to die saving him. Also I'm thinking that Reiss, as he is right next to Historia, gets eaten first.

I also think that Eren will end up transforming to save his friends. He's willing to get eaten, but there's no way he'll let his friends die in front of him. That's not part of the plan. I don't know what happens next for Historia, but she either dies or is trapped in the cavern until they feed her Annie (or Ymir comes back and sacrifices herself somewhere down the line). There's no way she eats Eren.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 9, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Sasha's death flag is at full mast. In the upcoming battle, she is going to find a herring can, pry it open, find it's empty, and lament the unfairness of her life while she is eaten.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Eren can only control the titans when he has an erection.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Now that you mention it, how much time has passed since Reiner and Bertolt fled? I don't think it's been weeks.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

So just to clarify: the gunpowder bundle blew a chunk of flesh into the air, including the nape where Rod was, and Historia slashed it?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Terper posted:

^^ Grisha first injected himself with titan serum when he was about to kill the royal family.

He stabbed himself with a scalpel. He was a shifter.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Mikasa is weird.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

Didn't Grisha become a shifter by eating Historia's sister, or am I forgetting it being mentioned that he was one before that?

Based on how he transformed (self-injury rather than injection), he was a shifter before he killed the Reiss family.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I'm trying to work out how they are going to handle the next season of the anime. The first thirteen episodes are easy to map out: the Utgard and the traitors storyline would fit nicely and Eren discovering the coordinate would make a great climax.

But, even though the Rebellion arc is only a few chapters longer than the preceding storyline, I don't think they could fit it in 13 episodes. It's a shame because this chapter seems like a logical epilogue for the season because there's the time skip. It sure would be great if the Rambo Jambo reveal was next season's Wall Titan post-credits sting, but the preceding arc is just so long. Unless they spring for an extra three or four episodes next season, they'll probably cut some stuff, like how they cut Annie and Eren's training together.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Lamebot posted:

Oh come on. Levi loving had Reiner. Did he harden his brain stem?

It's a credit to the series that my first thought when that happened was "drat, so close" and not "that was bullshit".

Isayama does a good job of making characters appear rational and capable while still being subservient to the plot. I can't think of any occasions when it felt like the characters were acting dumb or incompetent so that the story could continue.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Wait him out. Bertolt has a lot of power but not a lot of speed and not a lot of mobility. He's good for kicking down the Wall and not much else it seems. When the Survey Corps cornered Bertolt on the top of Wall Rose, he was only able to turtle up and emit steam to keep them away, not actually attack them. Earlier, when Bertolt attacked Trost, Eren was able to withstand his steam and actually get close to his nape so it's not a perfect defense. Bertolt's transformation also seems to be tremendously draining because (if I remember right) he had to rely on Reiner to protect him when they were trying to escape with Eren because he couldn't transform again so soon.

Bertolt's Colossal Titan is good for devastating and decisive attacks but in a drawn out battle I think he loses.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Reiner's not dead. Defeated, maybe, but not dead.

He's essentially ceased being a threat since he reappeared (MT wrecked him, Eren wrecked him, and now the Lightning Spears wrecked him) so, unless he pulls another power up out of nowhere, there's no dramatic tension in him continuing to fight and the Lightning Spears look like they'll be decisive in taking him out of the fight for the time being.

If they take him alive, Reiner can serve as a much needed source of information about MT and the shifters and, in a choice between Bertolt and Reiner, Reiner seems like the most likely to cooperate, especially because of his warrior/soldier mental split. Bertolt strikes me as much more callous and unlikely to budge.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 9, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Bertolt rationalized kicking down the walls (twice!). I wouldn't put anything passed him.

I think it's interesting that despite his affection for Annie that he didn't fight the Monkey Titan to prioritize her rescue like Reiner did. Even if it was because he didn't trust his own abilities against MT, it's surprising that he didn't at least fight with Reiner or intervene like he did when Eren fought Reiner. Maybe Bertolt just defers to MT's authority that much.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 9, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I knew Reiner wouldn't die like that and I don't think he's brain-dead either or just in his death throes. What kills a titan shifter is consuming its spinal fluid so I'm inclined to think you need to destroy a shifter's brain stem to put them down forever. Reiner's brain stem looks intact since it's just the top half off his head that was blow off, so I think he's capable of regenerating even now. poo poo's whack, yo.

I love that Bertolt is being used like a tactical nuke. I'm ready for the Colossal Titan to finally prove why he's the iconic antagonist of the series.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Considering earlier Reiner was able to instantly redistribute his brain functions throughout the rest of his body when Levi slashed his nape, I would not count him out yet.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Bertolt owns. I hope Hange really is dead because it's about time someone important dies (her soldiers don't count). I totally knew Reiner was alive, and I like that we're understanding more just about how crazy a Shifter's physiology can be.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, don't forget that Bertolt ranked third among the 104th division and his weakness was specifically identified to be his lack of assertiveness. It's no surprise that, now that he's found the will to act, he's a monster.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Gumbercules posted:

Was that baseball reference a translators choice, or is that character actually aware of the game of baseball?

In addition to the deliberate reference, Monkey Trouble struck a pitcher's pose and then threw a fastball. The character knows baseball, which raises all sorts of questions.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I mean at this point I fully expect the named characters to survive - maybe Erwin is critically injured but ends up getting the titan serum and Marlo just lucks out - but they shouldn't. There's no sign of Hange yet (unless she's piloting Reiner :lost:) but I don't doubt she's alive too. People have to start dying otherwise all these poignant sacrifices will become hollow and we'll end up in a One Piece situation.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

change my name posted:

I think the "Hange controlling the armored titan" theory could be right considering she knows the most about titan biology. Maybe she slipped into that big gaping hole and is flailing Reiner's vegetable body around like a puppet?

The theories I like the most are:
1. Eren is currently controlling Reiner because the damage dealt to Reiner's brain has left him temporarily susceptible to the coordinate.
2. The damage to Reiner's brain has caused his "soldier" personality to reassert itself and he will fight the Colossal Titan to protect his friends.

I definitely don't think Reiner is his normal self and will resume the fight against the Survey Corps because, as someone else said, that's too hopeless a fight.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Asuron posted:

Would it even really matter if they were somehow. They would just get punted like Eren did.

You ever step on a Lego?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Levi is going to get owned by the mule titan before he can finish Zeke off isn't he?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Mandatory listening for this chapter because it reminds me so much of the best part of the anime.

It was so drat satisfying to see Monkey Trouble get annihalated by Levi, even if he didn't secure the kill. I'm amazed Levi didn't get killed by the mule titan because taking down Monkey Trouble seemed a lot like a last "hurrah" before a tragic death. That said, I'm reasonably confident that Levi won't get taken down by the mindless titans. He won't catch up to Zeke again but he'll survive... probably.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Marlo got Marco'd, right down to his head being split in half

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

As best as I can tell from the micro scans:

- Armin gets roasted and looks completely dead
- Reiner and Bertolt are both defeated and captured
- Sasha and Jean are injured, not necessarily fatally
- Hange returns, wounded but alive.

Armin better be actually dead. I like the character but if he dies and Erwin survives (thanks to the serum)that would actually be a legitimate twist and an interesting plot development. I'm worried that Armin is somehow still alive and will get the serum.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Ugh there's some real bullshit in the latest chapter.

How on earth is Armin still alive? He got roasted and fell like 100 feet. Let him die. #SaveErwin

I'm also a little salty that Reiner got away again. I didn't have any issues with him surviving up till now against all odds, but this is one time too many. I guess Iyasama really wants Reiner on the shifter's side so he can still pull the trigger on Chekhov's split personality and have Reiner betray Zeke.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Watch Bertolt escape while everyone fights over the serum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

gently caress this gay earth. Armin's survival is so dramatically unsatisfying.