Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Sooo...I got bored and decided to watch this poo poo on a whim these last couple of weeks. I've caught up to the manga after finishing S2 and I wasn't really expecting to like it as much as I did. I went into AoT pretty unspoiled, the only things I've heard were "S1 is good then it gets bad" and "it has weird nationalistic overtones", which made me think I was gonna have a fun time until S2 hit and then drop it like a sack of potatoes when things got weird. Thankfully I never really got skeeved out by the politics and the story remained compelling enough that I just kept watching/reading. From your conversations pre-basement, I would say AoT benefits a lot from binge-reading, since you don't get a full month of waiting between a couple of setup chapters and the one that moves the plot forward. Plus it makes some of the twists harder to predict. For instance, I didn't have enough time between seeing the Female Titan's face and getting the Annie reveal to go "huh, this thing sure looks like someone, hmm". I did suspect Reiner being a Titan after that, however, just from his looks. I've read that they shifted some stuff around in the anime, but it was a lot easier to see Reiner being the Armored Titan in S2 with the amount of hints they threw around.

S2 ED is preeeeeeeeetty spoileriffic when you know the context, huh? I thought it had some creepy vibes and kinda half-guessed the origin of Titan powers from its imagery (I figured it was cannibalism, turns out that's just how you get the Big Titan Boy powers), but I was expecting it to be how humanity doomed itself, not this ethnical conflict where the losing side got ghettoized and weaponized. Again, I binged thru the series and didn't try to guess what was gonna happen, but I think the anime did a good job hinting at stuff without outright revealing its hand. And just so you have a clean perspective on the "AoT is kinda fascist" debate, I think both sides looked like terrible places to be, with the Walled City junta being less of a mess if only because we've been only following the hosed-up foot soldiers. I don't get the GATE thing of "armies are good, let them do their poo poo" and every single soldier seems to die a pathetic death when it comes down to it, there's no sense of glory there. The ex-Military Police dude that got headshotted by the Beast Titan during the suicide charge exemplified that. War sucks, armies suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't even agree with this and feel like a lot of people are reaching.

That's just me talking about what I heard about the series before watching it, I didn't know if it was true or not. I know people have discussed this a ton before so I don't wanna open that particular can of worms, but I figured my point of view as someone that came into it expecting some GATE poo poo would have some value.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
He wanted it to be a zombie movie with giants. I think what we got was way more interesting, but hey.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rhaka posted:

This is the strangest game of Civilization ever.

Everyone is Ghandi.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, Japan talks a lot about nukes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HidaO-Win posted:

It's interesting how the Marleyans have entirely wrought their own doom, they've taught the Paradisans how to not fear but fight Titans and even equipped them with their own Titans. It's almost as if the 4 child soldiers sent onto the island awoke a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve.
I'm saying Eren is ISIS

I mean...c'mon, that'd be more accurate.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hamas would be a better comparison, yeah. I'm just saying, if you wanna make real world comparisons, the one making their own worst enemies is the USA. But of course there aren't actual direct parallels or anything, it's just a for funsies commentary because this loving series is monthly and we get bored sometimes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Viridiant posted:

I'm jewish too and boy is that a bad take. I don't know why this person is taking the villains' viewpoint as the main one, and I don't know how they read the story that they thought the Marleyans' treatment of the Eldians was seen as positive.

It's an angry kid looking for more stuff to be angry about. At least it's excessive wokeness instead of the same reading but "yeah and that's why I love it", I guess.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
There's some revanchism tones in AoT but it's not like they make anyone happy. Eren is a wreck, Reiner is an even worse wreck, Gabi is already falling into that pit. That's mostly why I can't agree with a fascist or imperialistic reading of AoT, war is always fuckin' miserable even if you're on the perceived "right side".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe you shouldn't make things up to feel superior about.

Dude, it's just that you came very close to saying "actually, maybe the SJWs are the true fascists". There's a difference between stated mission and reality, and you seem to be mistaking one for the other in that post. I think it's kinda unarguable that Paradis Island is a shithole and the Eldians are legit hosed.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

logikv9 posted:

no Nazi no Nazi you're the Nazi

Sasha Nazi...

...that bullet coming. :getin:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If you wanna read Paradis as Japan you probably have to read it as Japan circa Meiji Restoration, except they were a legit powerhouse before they went into isolation. Hell, it's easier to call Paradis a neutered 1920's Germany then.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
We still on that old poo poo, huh.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Elias_Maluco posted:

I need to reread this poo poo ASAP, Im understanding like 40% of whats happening now

why do you say Eren is not really onboard? He seemed to be, although it seems really out of character for him

I think the Mangastream translations don't help much in that regard. I'm also quite confused.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Schwarzwald posted:

A lot of y'all seem to be figuring that they'll be some kind of big twist coming up, but I don't really know.

AoT doesn't quite seem like the kind of manga that'd have a big twist.

AoT never had big twists before, that's true.

:v:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think that Gabi and Reiner are collaborators but they're also very much victims of the system. They grew up brainwashed by Marley, equating success as a soldier to the only thing that made them worthwhile as human beings. I feel like any sympathy elicited by the characters is also correlated to this, they're not coming from a place of comfort and deciding "hey i wanna work for Marley for fun and profit".

I also don't think they're fully sympathetic. They're humanized - AoT actually has some pretty decent character writing - but Gabi fuckin' killed Sasha and continues to side with Marley to this day. Same poo poo goes for Reiner. There's enough leeway for you to dislike those characters because they're still collaborators, you just kinda know it's not a clear-cut situation. I don't think that's a bad thing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'd rather try and discern if or what Isayama was trying to parallel with some of AoT's symbolism after the story has concluded, because without knowing how Eren is gonna act to "end everything", it's hard to really be confident in any readings. Especially since the imagery is a bit all over the place and all.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I believe you're probably right when it comes to using imagery without considering wider implications. Let's also consider that the "Jewish people" have Norse mythology AND visuals tied to them (King Dipshit wearing a "Viking" helmet, sup), and Marley is kinda sorta...Roman?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eeehh, is it "both sidesism" tho? I think some of the things that are pretty clearly portrayed by the last few chapters are that the Children of Ymir are not to blame for what Eldia has done, their persecution by Marley is NOT justified and that Eren doesn't buy into either "peaceful genocide" or Ymir supremacy. IMHO, any reading that says the subtext implies the opposite of any of those things is completely ignoring the text, and isn't really worth engaging anyway.

edit: typed fast, wrote bad

Dias fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 6, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

thiiiiiiiis might be a bit too much, dude

I understand the thread is a bit...sore about the neverending "is AoT fascist/nazist" discourse, but I don't think it's a condemnation of the series to acknowledge, now that we're in the endgame, that its use of imagery is all over the place and not super well thought out - unless some last-minute reveal ties it all up or fucks it all up, of course.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So, I think this is where poo poo's getting mixed up. Isayama intentionally used WW2 ghetto imagery for a very specific purpose: displaying the Marley Eldians as an otherized, segregated ethnicity. I think we can all agree with that, no one is saying otherwise. Now, the issue with using real-life imagery is that quite often it's used when you're making allegories in storytelling, and we kinda default to reading them as such. Thing is, I don't think the Marley Eldians work as an allegory for Jews because...they weren't supposed to be an allegory at all. Isayama wanted to evoke otherization and used the most famous symbol of otherization in modern history, but the text doesn't support "Eldians are Jews" both from an anti-Semitic or a sympathetic point of view.

However, from a semiotic perspective, there are still connotations you can't run from when you use those symbols and attach them to a different people, one that's portrayed as having a past as oppressors and rulers instead of exiles and runaways. Does that mean Isayama intended that reading? Again, I don't believe it's an allegory, so no, but it's still there. Even if you say it's a difference in culture, those symbols pertain to a Western reality - it's not a manji being used in a Buddhist context, for instance. I'd say the historical/religious imagery in AoT is not well-crafted overall, it's even used pretty haphazardly. That, I feel, is a valid criticism because it leads to weird connotations.

I think it's interesting to discuss this because it goes beyond "is Isayama/AoT fascist" but I'm fine dropping it after this post.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gantolandon posted:

Given that Hange's gender is ambiguous out in manga, it's perfectly acceptable to use "she". I used "they", because I frequently talk to people who are very passionate about LGBT+ issues and would most likely correct me if they only knew what this amine is about.

But there is one more reason to use "they". Isayama obviously took a lot from Norse mythology and Hange is definitely based on Odin, down to the eye lost in a well, obsession about knowledge and replacing a one-handed individual as the head of the pantheon. And Odin's gender was a bit of a mystery, with his shapeshifting and magic that in this culture only women could use.

Wait, you mean to tell me Odin is enby?

I mean, sure, Gods and poo poo, but huh.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That's what happens when you pretend everything is fine to keep normalcy going. At least it's an extra month to go at one of the climactic chapters.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You know, last time this came up on the forums, using the example of Pixis being modeled after a Russo-Japanese War general as a smoking gun for AoT being nationalist propaganda, I actually did some research on Akiyama Yoshifuru (the general in question) and how he's seen in Japanese media, and I found some interesting context.

So, dude was kinda an rear end in a top hat since he was a big name during the Japanese occupation of Korea, and that was a terrible period in Japan's history. However, it seems like he's been pretty lionized like a lot of big names in American history, and there's a novel called Saka no Ue no Kumo that tells his story thru a pretty positive lens. That would be whatever, except there was a NHK TV series adaptation of that novel that aired from 2009 to 2011...which fits perfectly with the introduction of Dot Pixis in the manga. It really feels like Isayama thought "huh, this guy looks cool, maybe I can base this pragmatic but humble general on him".

After retiring, Akiyama refused promotion to Field Marshal and just became a small town school teacher, and this seems to be the main reason why Isayama was attracted to the guy as a reference point, according to the...well, no translations of that blog post. There are literally no decent translations of that poo poo, everyone is going by Google Translate. If anyone speaks Japanese and wants to actually translate poo poo, that would be dope.

So it really feels more like a lionization of "ol' time" noble warrior-generals akin to what Americans do when it comes to their Founding Fathers rather than an obssession with Japan's imperialistic past.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Play Guren no Yumiya as most people if not everyone in the main cast dies ignominious deaths at the hands of the Titans.

I mean, it'd kinda work. :shrug:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just think those takes are exhausting because they reek of trying to prove a "foregone conclusion" right. Also I think people mix up allegories with imagery - Isayama used loaded imagery when depicting the Eldians but they're not an allegory for Jewish people, their history is different, the power balance is different, how they fit in the Marleyean society is different...

It doesn't help that they can't pick a line of criticism. Is it bad because it supports Japanese nationalism, because it depicts "Jews" as deserving their oppression, because the heroes are part of a military outfit? The goalposts keep moving because it's not like these lines are compatible with each other, especially if you wanna seriously argue it's all allegories all around.

edit: oh, also, I do agree that a good chunk of criticism kinda ignores how Japanese media uses imagery, especially Western imagery, in favor of applying this very USA-centric formalist lens.

Dias fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 3, 2021

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

I just realized what this ending really is.

amazing

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh God, That Take on the series is starting to show up in Portuguese on Twitter now, please kill me.

Three days until it's over, at least.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

kidcoelacanth posted:

the final spread is a colossal titan with a huge fuckin boner

new thread title

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's mediocre but frankly, this is more of an epilogue than the actual ending, so it's whatever, not really a GoT-level botch.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
While I don't think the "AoT is fash" reading holds even now that it ended, Isayama wrote the reactions to Eren's story a BIT too sympathetic to my taste. Like, he was always more broken than evil, Titan Hitler is a stretch, but c'mon, dude almost extinguished humanity, y'all shouldn't remember him so fondly

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Marluxia posted:

Eren said he was giving Connie his mom back and the titans in that area turned back into humans, does that mean the colossal titans in the middle of the ocean just turned back into people and they're now drowning in the middle of the ocean

Well, he did kill 80% of humanity...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nothing about the ending is fascist, just loving stupid.

Pretty much, but I've seen goons misread the ending as "Paradis and the Eldians are in the right", so...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ccs posted:

I forgot Ronan was Kree. Man, it was weird that most of the Kree have blue skin but then the few important characters in Captain Marvel just look like normal humans.

I don't really know what a Mist-esque ending would entail in terms of AoT. Probably more dead main characters.

I imagine it would be more of a Devilman ending, Armin and Mikasa probably die trying to stop Eren, so he's left alone and in despair.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DamnitGannet posted:

Its pretty easy for fascists to consume media on a very surface level and find things in it that supports their fascist ideals. Im not a my little pony fan but we got a lot of fascists out of that fandom and I dont think the ponies were advocating genocide in the series. I have also seen a lot of chuds who think its always sunny is pro-right wing because the characters own the libs.

I guess what Im saying is that Im not surprised at all that a popular anime with a lot of pro military imagery appeals to fascists. Ive noticed that anime in general has a very vocal following that are that particular brand of internet fascist weeb edge lord.

It's also pretty easy to, instead of analyzing a piece of problematic media as a whole and understanding why you think the message is muddled or how people might enjoy it without it being a reflection of their Darkest Desires (or even that they might disagree with it or think it faltered at points), just say Thing is For Fascists/Creeps because you can never lose your argument since automatically the other person is defending a Thing For Fascists/Creeps.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Super Rad posted:

I've been defending AoT ever since the fascist accusations emerged but those last chapters were so bad I don't even know what to think anymore.

It still doesn't hold to a pro-fascism reading, it just reads like Isayama had enough of writing it and just had the things he planned on happen happen without trying to address the moral consequences of them or how its characters would react to it past a very superficial level.

The last few chapters feel like a bad anime adaptation that rushed everything up and made the story incongruent within itself. You can't be that careless when you're dealing with a topic like GENOCIDE and trying to make a point about it.

Isayama's true crime is sloppiness, really. Everything else is psychoanalysis and trying to prove 100% the series was Always Bad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
oh no did this get shared in a discord i hate when this happens

I said it before, it's impossible to argue with people who have decided AoT is fascist because if you don't think it is, they already decided for you you either misunderstood or are a fascist yourself. I just hope they're not into Star Wars, Naruto, anything Marvel or DC really, Robocop, Starship Troopers, Squid Game

ah you get it it's not worth doing this again poo poo's so repetitive even the avatars of the people doing it look alike lol

lets just relitigate how poo poo the ending was

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
there's some poetic irony in the united states lacking self-awareness while everyone else just kinda goes "oh there they go again"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tenkaris posted:

Yeah everyones initial reaction of that exchange was based on the really dodgy translations that hit the web first. For some reason even though it was cleared up and corrected within days, thanks for committing genocide for us was already a solidified meme

Its like nah Ive already built too much of my identity on this misconception and the disappointment I felt when I believed it, I dont care what he actually said now.

there's some sort of poetic irony in the united states getting really into fake news and twitter discourse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

serious gaylord posted:

This isn't D&D, but more importantly this is like the 527th time someones come stomping in with a steaming hot take after reading the polygon article and a few tweets. There's literally an example of it on this very page which is literally disproved 2 posts later but it will never, ever stop.

But basically it comes down to this for most of us

I just wanna add something very important: Gosar sounds and reads very close to the Brazilian Portuguese verb "to cum"