Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011
Love how the King is having this audience in what amounts to his PJs and bathrobe. :allears: Also Armin tearing up at Mikasa doing some self image maintenance. :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011
Oh sweet merciful lord, this is all just the consequences of Nazi Ubermench science gone wrong for the master race, isn't it? :cripes:

Also my translation read as only "bone marrow" needed to be taken from Eren? Anyway, it's still being presented as a non-lethal way of extracting what Historia needs from him, I think. Or hell, maybe it's a ploy to and the King knows Eren would die from that anyway.

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011
Gotta give it to Isayama, he sure knows how to draw a Queen of All Humanity. :stare:

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

mule titan is secretly gonna be the most powerful titan under royal titan

Dogs can shift into titans and remain loyal to their original masters.

Calling it.

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011
loving Iyasama. He made good on everyone's hope for this manga when they first started reading and actually killed off the main protagonist.

Eren is no longer even close to the person he used to be. Screaming at the stars to "kill him dem titans" and slaughter them all with his own bare hands. Ready to literally leap into the mouth of a titan to save his friends.

No no, that person is dead and gone, and for good reason. Almost nothing Eren "knew" or held most close to his heart turned out to mean a goddamn thing. He has been betrayed twice; once by a person who was his semi-mentor for a time and another whom he had huge respect and admiration for, not to mention complete trust. Both in the span of 2 days no less. The first betrayal forced him to come to terms with the truth that not every human is on his side. The second that not even all of his friends are on his side. That's not even counting the first "betrayal" by the Wall Guard when they first found out about his titanizing powers and then pointed cannons at him. And the trial, but I think it's reasonable that he forgave them for being scared shitless. Still, it impacted him.

Not a day after being kidnapped by Reiner and Berthold, Eren's world that he is so sure about is shattered yet again with the revelation that ALL titans are, in fact, people. No longer a "they" or an "it"- people. What he swore to carry out genocide against all those years ago were in fact humans who are trapped in a nightmare, no longer in control of their own actions. This hits him hard.

And through all of THAT he gets cold hard lessons in over-confidence. He should be dead. Many times. If not for his titan powers and many people giving their lives he would be dead at least 3 times over. He's not going to save humanity and avenge his mother. He can't even hardly save the people within a 10 meter radius. This all comes to a head in the crystal cave after Historia's dad gives her the syringe to titanize and Kenny cuts his forehead. He doesn't transform or even struggle. She questions him and his reply, "Historia...eat me." Eren finally comes to terms with his own powerlessness and perhaps detriment to humanity. It wasn't the logic or recent revelations about what his father did, though these were a factor. It's been everything leading up to his point. His rampant failures and losses have taken their toll that much. He confirms this to the audience in his own thoughts as he is running into the collapse throwing the vial of Titan Armor Juice into his mouth, "Please... just one more time... let me believe in myself". He is begging the world to let him have one last drop of self-confidence without letting someone he loves die.

At the very end is when the final nail is hammered in. He has brought down the Colossal titan, but only because of Armin. And now Armin is rotting on the roof and all Eren can do is scream and beg at Levi to save him. In the end Eren's words fall onto deaf ears as he is whisked away by the same selfish twat who only really wants to save Erwin to give his own struggle to bring his broken body back meaning. Levi doesn't even save Armin because Eren's words and pleas move him, it's so as to not continue to force Erwin to be that demon they've relied on this whole time. Levi explains this to everyone as Titan Armin is eating Bertold, cementing Eren's complete failure to do anything to protect those close to him.

After Trost, we never really see Eren happy again. He does have "victories" and he should be proud of himself for them. But don't even us normal folk focus too much on our failures, though minuscule and rare? Eren never really shows enough ego to take credit for the lives he saves.

At the conclusion of the main arc we see Eren, Mikasa and Armin finally playing on the beach. They did it, they have their freedom... at enormous cost. Eren shows the effects of that cost. He isn't screaming to the sky at his enemy. He isn't swearing an oath of eradication to those who brought this hell upon us all. He's just, almost rhetorically, asking if he has to go kill some people now, like a blind man swinging his arms out trying to find anything at all to guide him. The sure-headed, brave, passionate Eren we met is dead, replaced with...this. Just a heap of sadness still having to hold the weight of the world on his shoulders. Eren is a broken man.

This is why Eren is my favorite character. If he ends up being the big baddy for the rest of the series we'll all know exactly why and probably cheer him on.

I'm so sorry for the :words: This is just something I've been wanting to get out for a while.

BuhamutZeo fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 17, 2017

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

this reads like a lot of projection dude

K.

I just feel like Eren's treatment and growth as a character has been honest. He's not going to win every day through DIG DEEP power, but he still has all of the responsibility on his shoulders. And if he is indeed headed into Marley and goes on a cold, emotionless murder spree...well, he learned from the best. :)

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011
So...given all that we now know, what were any members of the Ackerman clan doing in Wallmaria? I mean why were any there to begin with? Fritz brought all of the Eldians he could mind-wipe into the walls with him, but why would he include anyone he couldn't wipe? I think the Ackermans weren't part of the original migration but came later.

Something that's bothered me is right before the attack in the Eldian ghetto, the Asian representative was leaving the speech flanked by a pair of Kenny cosplayers. I think it was the same representative who showed compassion to the Eldian child who spilled wine on her. I'm sure their country had a hand in the attack, but I can't help but also wonder if they also knew the truth about Wallmaria the entire time and have even directly interfered in some capacity in the past, explaining why there were any Ackermans on the isle at any point in time.

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011
But then why wasn't the King constantly protected by Ackermans at all times? In fact an Ackerman was sent to KILL the actual King (Who the gently caress even hired him and why? Few even knew Fritz was the true King.) and only after that was Kenny called into the King's service.

My actual question is what happened on the Island that the Ackermans were present, but not in the capacity of protecting the King, and in fact don't seem to have an agenda to begin with?

I think the original intent is that Mikasa's mother knew. Died before passing on the truth.

EDIT: Re-read some previous chapters. They were there the whole time and the monarchy pushed them away for purity reasons and the fact they couldn't control them for poo poo. The first generation decided to not pass on the truth to the next, and so here we land at the current situation. Still think the Asian representative was shady as gently caress and the Waldians have a pact with her country.

BuhamutZeo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011
Eren seems to be getting confused about some things.

Armin always tried to talk to people before taking a route that involves titans, or even violence. Hell, he tried to talk Bertold down at the climax in Shiganshina before he ever ate him.
Levi is an Ackerman and has zero qualms with kicking Eren in the teeth, and then pretty much treating him like dirt. Maybe it was for his own good in the end but Levi doesn't seem to have qualms about putting the major hurt on these titanizing assholes like Mikasa does.
And about Ackermans protecting royal blood, when Eren "ordered" Mikasa to grow some balls and shiv her parents' murderers, Eren was Joe Pleb nobody. His dad did not have a cell of royal blood within him and his dad only had the Attack Titan at the time, not the Founding Titan.

Armin and Mikasa just seem way too distressed to actually call Eren on his bullshit.

Also, I did like how Eren demoted Gabi to "That brat who killed Sasha".

Edit: There also seems to be a page missing between when Armin gets a punch in on Indifferent Eren and then he somehow gets knocked back into the bar with the MPs barging in

BuhamutZeo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 7, 2018