Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

The more you read it, and then read back the last 20 or so chapters it just gets worse. Did he have a week to go to the deadline and realise he hadn't actually written the ending or something?

Speaking about deadlines, I wonder if the quality of the ending could have been improved if the editor would have let him a bit more of time. Let's remember the death march that is publishing a regular manga in Japan. In fact, now that I think about, I don't think AoT skipped any month in the last years.
Would we have the same ending if a year ago Isayama had made a 3 months pause? We will never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

I agree

People are saying he didint really killed 80% of humanity but I dont know where they are getting that from. Eren says it is, and he seems almost omniscient at that point, I think he would be correct.

At the end of the day, it was just a bit less worst than letting the rumbling go its full course. Is that what Grisha thought it was a good outcome? Instead of wiping all humantity but Paradis, he wiped *almost* all humanity (while also destroying most forests which should set the world for a climate/ecological collapse). hooray?

And thats was enough to make him an hero again for his friends

Now that I think about it, the series started with everybody believing it was a post-apocalypse story with just a one remaining city, and now in between the genocide and the climate collapse it will really turn into one!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

mightygerm posted:

Pretty sure she got poochied, like Ymir. I was hoping to see some sort of resolution with her as she was the only one of the people in the Yeagerists inner circle that was still with the main cast at the end. We see cameos of Onyankopon and Kiyomi but we have no actual idea what happened to their countries, I thought it would be a bigger deal in the epilogue.

As you an guess with my long post, I don't agree with most decisions Isayama took with the end of AoT, but even then, it would have been a better ending if he would have developed / explained those decisions in a double chapter, even if I would have preferred A instead of B.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So, Eren was

-a guy obsessed with eliminating all his enemies
-obsessed with the idea freedom, and pushing forward
-self-centered, in the sense he always valued much more the people who are dear to him over the other people
-disappointed with the outside world, deep in his soul he was still a child who wanted a wild world to explore with Armin
-who resists to the idea of having to die after x years
-who didn't find the support of rebelling further in Historia nor could elope away with Mikasa
-confused with the information coming to his head through Paths

So all together I can see why he did what he did, but it doesn't all coalesce in a meaningful way, making a good story of aflawed character that we can enjoy dissect as readers or making feel empathy towards him (even if we know it would be wrong). In the end, his final arc feels somehow half baked.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

It's actually very hard to write a story with a protagonist that has future-vision and keep the story interesting for the reader. Frank Herbert is obviously the God of this type of writing and he managed to keep it going by putting some pretty strong conflicts in the way of the omniscient protagonist. Most people forget that the crux of Dune is that Paul is desperately trying to prevent The Jihad for most of the book, but at every point he has to pick between a path of extinction or taking another step towards Jihad. He keeps hoping for most of the novel that at a later point he can move things back off course, but at the very end he suddenly sees with clarity that even if he dies at that moment that the Jihad now cannot be prevented. End of story. Once things get set in stone there isn't more story to tell.

The second Dune book is interesting because Paul does find an out from his terrible future, but that literally involves loving over his son with a worse one...which he willfully does because he chickens out and doesn't want to follow through with his atrocities. It's good storytelling because even with the power of prophecy, there is still a good conflict.

Eren needed more inner turmoil and desperation than the ~13 pages we got from the last 15 chapters combined. Instead we got

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm actually reading Encyclopedia Britannica's entry on fascism.

Some points can be seen reflected on AoT, like nationalism, imperialism or revolutionary image. I think the inspiration comes from Ww2 and pre-ww2 Japan. Some of the most important ones aren't, because fascism irl was mostly an elite-driven conservative movement against marxism and democracy (see sub-entries like opposition to marxism, opposition to parliamentary democracy, conservative economic programs, opposition to cultural liberalism, corporatism, alleged equality of social status, anti-urbanism), and well, we haven't seen a hint of marxism in this setting, and we don't have any idea of the economic policy of Paradis or Marley?

This point
"Fascists favored military values such as courage, unquestioning obedience to authority, discipline, and physical strength"
made laugh, because to be honest, our protagonists are from the military so it could be seen as 'military values', but in reality they don't have a problem of rebelling against their superiors the moment they don't like the direction they are going for. It happened a few times, so AoT is almost the opposite. A fascist likes the military clear order, the hierarchy.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Now that I think about it... it's time to unbookmark this thread. It's the first one I had bookmarked many years ago. It feels weird to not have it on my list anymore. :ohdear:

edit: reading the first pages of the thread now it's interesting!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Frionnel posted:

Why was my mom eaten by a titan that day, Reiner? Oh wait because i sent the titan there, nevermind my bad

OH gently caress, I had forgotten about that scene.

Seriously, how many flaws can this chapter have. It hasn't been disappointing in one or two points, it's almost every page had an issue. It's like Isayama has been kidnapped and the editor was obligated to hire someone else to write the last chapter.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rebuild of Attack on Titan, maybe?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, after knowing how it ends, it hard to avoid the conclusion that the biggest unforgivable mistake Marley (and the rest of the world) committed was not murdering all Eldians as soon as possible. Only that could have avoided the cataclysm

He was right. Eren was the humanity's enemy.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

change my name posted:

Yeah it doesn’t even make sense, there’s no way the colossal titans could have gotten very far in the few days it took for the alliance to kill Eren.

I was thinking along those lines just some minutes ago! They should have destroyed Marley and a pair of surrounding countries, but there was not enough time for more. The world is bigger than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dammit Japan don't enable him.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-04-13/attack-on-titan-finale-leads-to-magazine-issue-selling-out-and-getting-2nd-printing/.171689