Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JosephWongKS posted:

Levi scored almost twice as many votes as the next most popular character in the first AoT character poll, which was conducted before the anime. Got to wonder how many votes he will get now that the anime has greatly expanded the readership / viewership of the series.

Levi absolutely destroying the competition is rather appropriate, really. No matter what he does, he does it best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

An interesting (and somewhat horrifying) twist to go with this would be this moment being the reason for Mikasa's Eren-obsession. Not in the PTSD/"everyone else I know is dead" sense, but it literally having been caused by Eren's mental command being implanted in her mind.

Of course that relies on him having the power then and being able to affect her with it, which I'm still not completely sold on, but it occurred to me so I figured I may as well contribute.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

yellowyams posted:

Hardly anyone ever tries to argue this poo poo with Levi, y'all need to accept that Mikasa's just naturally a loving powerhouse.

In my case, it making Mikasa less awesome is actually one of the reasons I dislike the theory; I just brought up my point because, if that is true, then what I was thinking would be a possibility.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Besides all this, there seem to be three different general categories for titan appearances:

1. Like humans, but oddly-proportioned, sometimes extremely so. So far all non-shifter titans seem to fall into this category.
2. Skinless humanoids; three of the shifters are here, plus the wall titans whose shifter status is unknown.
3. "Elf-eared"; besides this trait, looks vary immensely. Eren's titan form is mostly humanoid but has that zig-zag jaw and other odd features, Ymir's looks like some sort of gremlin, and Monkey Trouble is an ape. Two of these three are confirmed shifters, while the third is something really, really bizarre.

I've been wondering if there's some sort of reason behind the differing appearances. Different titanification processes for skinless versus elfish titan forms, maybe? I dunno, there isn't quite enough to go off of yet. Monkey Trouble might not even be related to Eren and Ymir, assuming those two have some connection. That last category has only three entries that, besides the ears, shifter status for two, and their being really different from most other titans and/or exceptional in one or more ways, are pretty drat different from each other, really. I've mainly grouped them because the thread as a whole tends to do, so from what I've seen.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 10, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phobophilia posted:

You can really tell the characters of Levi and Erwin. I've said it before, Levi is cold and cynical, but underneath that he genuinely cares about others. Erwin on the other hand is utterly ruthless and is being consumed by guilt and barely concealed despair.

Those are things I like about them both. Levi's not just a silent badass, he's got something underneath that. Meanwhile, Erwin's a man who is willing to sacrifice anything to accomplish his goals, but that includes himself; he doesn't hide from danger when it comes for him and is willing to accept whatever consequences there are for what he believes needs to be done. He even acknowledged that losing an arm is getting off pretty lightly.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The problem with cannons is that aiming them is not easy. You fire cannons at things like ships, or walls, or armies. Things you can't miss, even if you don't hit exactly where you aimed. Blowing off a titan's head isn't quite as easy, though hitting them at all would at least slow them down, I imagine. Wasn't this covered, actually? I swear in the anime at least one of the halfway point info-dumps references that the main problem with cannons was hitting titans in the one way it would actually kill them, though I could be misremembering.

Anyway, the rest of the stuff, we don't really know how the city was built and whatnot. And, you know, people grew complacent behind the walls. No one thought they could be breached, so making extensive defenses behind them probably wasn't a concern.

From a different perspective, the titans all getting chopped up at the gate would send the story in a rather different direction. Or instead lead to the Colossal Titan, who knows the layout of the city and all that, kicking in a different part of the wall, I suppose.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 31, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Given that the regenerative organ of the titans seems to be (what used to be) the human in its nape, and that's also where its brain-equivalent would be, a titan living through losing its head is to be expected, really. There's nothing in the head that it needs to function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Or, in other terms, one and a half walls were broken into, and then the half was fixed by Eren with the boulder. After that we got caught up in a bunch of craziness and haven't really done much with the walls. Edit: And the basement is in the furthest possible section, so we're not seeing it for a while unless the heroes go on a wall-sealing rampage.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 24, 2014