Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JosephWongKS posted:

If it's run in a shoujo magazine, this means that the story will involve a love / romance element. Given that this is set in the world of Shingeki no Kyojin, I surmise that Levi's backstory is that he used to have a boyfriend or girlfriend who ended up being eaten by a Titan.

If there was one type of magazine that I would expect to see Attack on Titan in it would definitely be a Shoujo magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elotana posted:

Chapter 49 raws are out.

Irwin continues his push for Hardest Motherfucker by cutting off his own arm to escape a Titan and free Eren: http://www.onemanga.me/shingeki_no_kyojin/49/32/

Also the ending features a special guest from way back in Episode 1, and I'm not talking about Hannes: http://www.onemanga.me/shingeki_no_kyojin/49/43/

Jeez. It's gonna be hard waiting for the next chapter.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Soulcleaver posted:

Oh man, the return of Chuckles in the last page was downright terrifying. If there's any titan that Eren hates more than Bertholdt and Reiner, it's that son of a bitch. He'll probably be splattered all over Eren's giant feet come next chapter.

The most hilarious end would be a one page spread of Eren just murdering the hell out of it. Then that's it. It's dead and doesn't appear again.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Van Dine posted:

Maybe. I can't say it wouldn't be satisfying. But this situation represents a really good opportunity for Eren to have character development. Is he going to make mother-eating Titan go splat next chapter, or is he going to protect his friends at the time when they most need him? Mikasa's out of action, probably badly injured, and all the others are vulnerable. Ervin's even down an arm. It's the worst time Eren could choose to get his rage on, and yet it's a situation almost calculated to make him attack that one titan. If he does go for it, he might end up feeling some really nasty guilt later on, especially if one of his friends ends up dying.

This is probably most likely to happen in all actuality.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Say Nothing posted:

I'm kind of hoping for a non science-based explanation for the titans, as they seem to do decidedly unscientific things, like generate and lose huge amounts of mass out of thin air (nobody mention nanomachines, utility fogs, or hyperspace!).

Dude it's either going to be magic or science. Pick your poison.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Genocyber posted:

The titans are actually plants; Attack on Titan is a sequel to The Happening.

Marky mark is their messiah.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JosephWongKS posted:

In the instances you listed, Eren was guarded by other people at the express instructions of his superiors. When he's by himself or in a squad of peers, what does he do? At the start of the Battle of Trost, he Leeroy-Jenkinsed the Titans and got his leg chomped for his efforts. When Titan-Annie destroyed Squad Levi, instead of riding back to safety (as he was instructed to do so), he turned Titan to fight her and got decapitated and eaten (again) for his efforts. When he was kidnapped by Bert and Ernie, he tried to attack them even though his arms had not yet regenerated.

Eren is defined by his anger. His rage at humanity's situation, at the loss of his comrades. That's the reason he's so irrational. It's symbolic of the humanity he embodies. What's more human than emotion? Than irrationality? Sure we can't agree with his actions on a logical level, but we can agree on an emotional level. All of his actions have been based in anger at the enormous loss of life at the hands of the titans. Ironically he's probably the most human of the cast.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

roobots posted:

I really can't think of any examples of Mikasa acting in her own interests instead of acting on behalf of Eren. Her mother was brutally murdered, she's the last of her kind and yet her entire motivation seems focused on Eren and protecting him. I get that he's the only family she has left, but it still bugs me that her actions never seem to be for her, but for Eren. If they are for her or are about her family, I just think the series has a done a poor job of showing that. Or it's just going to be a really really slow burn.

And don't get me wrong, this isn't a Mikasa issue. It's an SnK issue and to a greater extent, a shounen manga issue. Characters depth gets back seated for "Oh poo poo that is so cool" all the time.

I don't know man, I kinda like Mikasa because despite her cool-headed nature she'll still act irrationally for her family. I mean I'll admit at first I was annoyed that she had little to no personality, but it slowly dawned on me that Eren was her remaining shred of humanity. So of course she would fight tooth and nail for that. So in that light it's more like she's doing it for her sake rather than Eren's.

Although its really more of a symbiotic relationship when you think about it. Eren acts as Mikasa's rock while Mikasa is constantly pulling Eren out of the fire.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hodgepodge posted:

All of this misses that when she thought that Eren was dead, she realized that there were other things in her life to live for, primarily her responsibility to other members of the Scouting Legion.

Even when Eren is taken later, her despair is no longer hers alone, and that's what is pointed out to her and the others- Eren had become the Legion's #1 priority, so they're going after him.

Yeah that's a good point, because that's her acting out of her sense duty to others rather than Eren. Wow I never really thought of that. It's kind of a bummer that Mikasa already seems done with her character development. But I'm sure they'll be more at some point.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Where the hell is the box connecting Sasha with potatoes?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That entire sequence was loving terrifying. God drat I can't wait to see if they do a 2nd season and have an episode end like that.

I will say one thing. Isayama is incredibly good at fostering hate immediately. We know beyond a shadow of a doubt that monkey is a "bad" guy.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

minimalist posted:

People also thought the first time Eren turned into a titan was typically shonen-y. Isayama's way of dealing with that is to then raise the stakes even higher, so I have no doubt that humanity will be in even deeper poo poo within a few chapters.

Probably? Definitely. I mean we haven't even seen the adult titan shifters (if there are any) yet.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That would be hilarious.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I would say that's more suited to the anime thread than this one if the whole thing is literally based only on evidence from the anime. But I guess it's still an interesting read. Even if it did have too much "Man, Eren is hot garbage isn't he?"

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Coughing Hobo posted:

Well, he learned he could transform into a titan. :v:

That's actually pretty important I'd say.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

muike posted:

Eren was just having a fantasy about his perfect life, where he can be who he truly is, a beautiful princess

He's basically already a princess though...

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JosephWongKS posted:

I get the references in Eren's, Levi's, Marco's, Sasha's and Ymir's captions. But what does Annie's caption refer to?

Her personality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

change my name posted:

I don't even get their plan, so they want Eren to harden in the wall's gap, sure. But how is he going to get out again?

I think it'll create a shell or something cause the titan is separate from Eren. So hopefully he can break out of it and not end up crystallizing himself in stasis.