Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

roobots posted:

She has NO real agency, everything is about and for Eren.

That's not what agency means, by the way. She defines her life. She defines it *around* Eren, but it's defined around protecting him because he's incompetent and done for very understandable reasons. He saved her life when she was very young and has been her only real touchstone since. When she thinks he's gone, she realizes she has to move on. Again, it's very simple. Give her the penis and him the vagina, make him less a horrific Titan and maybe a magical transforming princess, and it's pretty easy to see Eren is the incompetent dumbshit constantly in need of rescue with no real agency over their life that appears in so many stories.

quote:

Armin is the only person in the main three that's actually a character.

"Giant loser that decides to fight smart, not hard" isn't more character than those two have.

ArchangeI posted:

Eren has a laser-sharp focus on murdering any and all Titans

When has this ever been true? He's barely a scout for nine seconds before the female titan shows up and he's all "Oooh let me go save some dudes!" and they go "Yeah, we don't know what's right here. You can try to kill her, or you can trust us". So he trusts them. It eventually ends badly, and he wants to kill her. They say trust us *again*, so he does. They all die. His response isn't blind rage, but sadness that he didn't go with his instincts [That were, objectively, correct. Their plan had faulty information and assumed she was basically just a Titan but a bit smarter.].

There's been literally one instance of his 'rage' being actual overwhelming rage and driving him to actions and guess what? He wasn't even conscious at the time. He was a in a fuzzy little dreamstate where his driving emotion was the opposite of rage, total contentment. His Titan showed rage, and that was probably just default Titan behavior. How does he get out of it? It's sure not rage, or really any negative and destructive emotion. It's a desire to reclaim the world and explore it.

It's like people think because a large part of his motivation involves 'kill all <blank>' that he's a particularly angry guy rather than actually looking at his actions. Guess what? Literally every single character in this book has as a main motivation 'kill all <blank>'. It's just that most of them never really thought it was possible, and the rest fill in the blank with 'humans' rather than 'titans'. He's not that angry, he's not that rage filled, and he's had quite a few moments of levity and plain sadness and all sorts of emotions. It's just that their world sucks and he doesn't get that much time to dwell on the lighter bits before some of his friends get killed or show themselves to be traitorous monsters that got his mother killed or something. He's pretty much had non-stop situations designed to drive him into a rage, and he's had clear success in dealing with *none* of them.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Eh, gently caress'em. They left their back unguarded all on their own.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Thoren posted:

God drat It it's the ending of Bleach all over again

That's a loving terrible thing to say about anything.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

I want Gabi to live long enough to realize literally every single choice she made in her entire life was the wrong one. She doesn't have to die after that, I just absolutely want her to live long enough to realize how hilariously stupid every single move she's ever made has been.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

RatHat posted:

Who would she even side with at this point?

I think at this point there is Eren, and there is an entire planet of folks irrelevant to what happens next.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Viridiant posted:

No one in this thread is saying that Isayama is a fascist who supports persecution of the jews, but we are saying that he's doing a clumsy job of distancing his narrative from those views. I've spent the last couple years telling people "No of course it's nonsense that AoT supports nazi ideology" and this reveal is going to make doing that harder.

If they've read everything and still think that just say that Marley is Israel and the Children of Ymir are the Palestinians, and then give it a three count before everyone gets the gently caress out of the conversation because they don't want to go there. Why pretend to engage with people that aren't actually engaging with the story?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

The last panel of the entire story has already been leaked.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

I feel like the most hilarious twist would be Eren just loving off. Like there's literally nothing you can do if he doesn't stick around for you to deal with him, he just wins.

It won't happen because that'd be a terrible storytelling choice, but God I would laugh.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kerning Chameleon posted:

"Eren Is The Hero With A Secret Plan" would be the most controversial ending, so it's both my preferred ending but also the least likely one.

After that, you have either "Eren Is Defeated As A True Villain To The End" or "Eren Is Talk-No-Jutsu'd, Kumbaiya Forever" and while those are also both unsatisfying to some degree to different sects of the fanbase, the latter is probably the "safest" option and thus the most likey, imo.

I mean the most controversial would be "Eren literally wipes out all life outside the island and it actually makes things better".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

They actually work like spiders and fly. They just send up some of the stuff they use to make walls and let the wind carry them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

I love that their plan is just "Head vaguely in this direction, hope we find Eren and either stop him or talk him down, and then magically everything is ok". That's the plan.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

I'm kinda rooting for Eren/both sides taking each other out but that's because I'm a sucker for Greek tragedy.

No matter what happens I'm fairly certain Eren gets exactly what he wants and is miserable for it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Eren's is the best becomes he kicked it off by telling a 2,000 year old slave ghost that she is a person and that she can stop now.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

There's literally no way for these people to win that isn't "Eren is just sad and lets them".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

I mean they can have whatever the gently caress they want, none of them matter at this point. Give their Titans laser eyes, it'd be just as irrelevant in the end.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

I do too.

The movie one where all the people he sacrificed himself for are so loving incompetent they literally have to raise him from the dead to clean up their messes, and after he effortlessly does that he gets to ditch those losers and go be immortal with his girlfriend.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Beefstew posted:

They do and they did. The entire invading army was annihilated. Armin supported this and had no problem with invading Nazis getting killed. They are down to a single fort, which now appears to consist of a few cannons, since their airships were annihilated. The money that funded Marley is gone. The Tyburs are dead. The supreme commanders of their military are all dead. The folks living in ghettos are out. Continuing the global genocide at this point is operating under the assumption that nobody will learn anything from all of this - which is, of course, a possibility, but it's also fundamentally lacking in imagination.

What does a psychic need with imagination? He knows how this story ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

I'm glad everyone lost and literally nothing was accomplished, it really makes all the debate people had about where the ending was going funny in retrospect. I don't think anyone guessed "nowhere".