Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I'm no doctor, but does spinal fluid regenerate? So possibly there's a way to give every titan a cure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
So Monkey Trouble threw some rocks so hard they exploded like canister shot and wiped out the entire survey corps except for the main characters. Like, wow, I've just lost complete interest in this arc. One, the whole rock throwing thing is stupid. Two, they just killed all the survey corps redshirts, so no more big fight scenes.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

flowinprose posted:

He crushed them before he threw them. You can see him breaking them into smaller pieces in one panel. Personally I think the rock throwing business is good writing, because they have already shown him doing this before (remember when he threw the rock from the top of the wall to collapse the tower where several of the survey corps were hanging out). It is a specialized skill that his titan form seems particularly well built for. The fact that he strategically crushes the rocks prior to throwing them to make it like a shotgun of cannonballs is pretty smart. It fits with the fact that he isn't a simple minded "warrior" like Bert and Reiner, but actually has a tactical mind.

I'll amend my statement to say I don't follow the logic very well. Like I can get crushing the rocks to make a shotgun, but taking out most of the survey corps, or at least multiple squads with two rocks? You can't kill an entire flock of ducks with two shells.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also they did not kill off all of the Survey Corps. You can still see Marlowe and the other newbies are still around. Hange is probably still alive as well.

All of Survey Corps Redshirts, meaning even if named characters begin dying off in huge numbers, we've probably seen the last large scale action scene.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
And where did all the Survey Corps members riding with Erwin, weren't they all supposed to be killed by Monkey Trouble's oh-so-wonderful grapeshot baseball thing. Ha! I knew last chapter raised the stakes too high.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
But were there really that many recruits in the first place? Perhaps they did some more recruiting and I just missed it, but aren't we just dealing with whoever wasn't a main character in the 104th training corps.

Anyway, it's still like if on Voyager in the middle of episode, someone ran onto the bridge and yelled that all the redshirts are dead, and this chapter has Janeway leading all the goldshirts to their deaths. And I say Voyagers specifically because it isn't even possible for the Survey Corps to go to a starbase and get more recruits.

BUT, I actually getting a little excited now, it was a clever trap and this plan is a clever way out of it. It blows Leloch and Inaho'a overly complicated micromanagement away.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Wow, if he actually goes through with it.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Honestly I'm blown away. I've been losing interest in this series since the coup arc began, and I considred Monkey Trouble's stupid 'gravel baseball that does more damage than rocket artillery' thing to be close to the last straw. But, these past two chapters have really rekindled my interest in the series. I can't remember the last time I've seen a genuinely intelligent strategy like that in an anime or manga. Or for that matter, a non-contrived heroic sacrifice.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Well, it was a beautiful dream while it lasted. Man, if he had the guts to go through with killing off Armin.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Well I'm going to just write this series off then.

Fun while it lasted.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I don't care about how dead someone should be or surviving something that should probably have died from.

What I care about is that this series has always struggled with not turning in to a generic fighting shonen. Now, Erwin's dead, the survey corps is decimated and the nakama trio is all alive and kicking. Do you really think you're not gonna get a friendship speech enemy conversion bullshit?

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
So armin is a super-genius. He's a frigging shonen super-genius, which means the same thing it always means. He'll make broad leaps to conclusions which will be right because the plot says so.

Monocled Falcon fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 9, 2016

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Um... did I miss a crunchyroll link or something?

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I don't know what to think now. I was only into this series because it made zombies scary again. The wider world is intriguing, though it doesn't seem well foreshadowed.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Eiba posted:

The premise of humanity on the edge of being wiped out was replaced with the realization that we've spent so much time in helpless ignorance. Just when our characters feel like they've gotten some sort of agency and control, it turns out their world is larger and more arbitrary, and they're as helpless as ever.

I think I may have set myself up for disappointment in regards to this plot point. We did know something bigger was going on, and in my (ugg) "headcanon" the characters had as well and were freaking out about how the hell they were going to get anything done when the ordinary mindless titans were still reliably decimating the Survey Corps.

But that's my bad I suppose.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
The piece of foreshadowing that stood out to me as not fitting in with this reveal was the way the true ruler was this crazy guy who constantly ranted about sin and sinners. I have now thought of a theory to explain this: The story told by the Mare is correct, but Ymir never went along with it. He/She was super missed off about all the other titans going all kill-crazy on everybody else, and when the titans lost and were forced onto the island, set about punishing the descendants because Ymir thinks like the Mare do.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

davidHalestorm posted:

I guess if Levi, a single person who is exceptional, can gently caress up dozens of non-sentient titans with swords, imagine what proper world war 2 artillery and air force (that seems to be the level of tech of this world, unless Marley is also a backwater) can do even to the Colossal Titans.

I'm kinda of worried about this, actually. Artillery and Airplanes versus Giant people doesn't seem like very dynamic action.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
In the translation I read, it seemed like it was simple oil, just present on the island in amounts that would dwarf Saudi Arabia. Which I would prefer, myself.

Though having magic steampunk gear like 3dm gear next to conventional ~1920s era tech would be very odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, this is the part that confused me. I guess titans are still very powerful in certain situations. Like, if you release a titan into the middle of a city (as opposed to sending it at the enemy battle lines in a wide open area, like in this chapter) it would be very difficult to hit it with cannons. The titan would be effectively invincible (since these countries don't seem to have anti-titan 3d gear) once it got "into the thick" of the enemy and could basically wreak havoc indefinitely, and the perpetrator could easily escape by turning back into a person.

But they don't seem very useful for normal military operations, just stuff like "sneaking a person into the enemy camp/city and then having them turn into a titan and loving everything up."

I sense a continued use for the Survey Corps' 3d gear then. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new direction, but I still want my 3d gear fight scenes.