Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Elias_Maluco posted:

EDIT: by the way, why they changed "Rivaille" to "Levi"?

It's supposed to be Levi, since Levi is a real western name and Rivaille isn't anything. Rivaille was just an awkward transliteration of the name. The quality of the translations I read were inconsistent, but usually not very good. I seem to recall what I thought were a few memes slipped in, too. It was rather irritating.

And yeah, I felt like a total idiot that I didn't realize Female Titan was Annie when she started using Thai boxing moves or got into that really distinctive stance with her fists at head level. I didn't know it was her till that panel of the FemTitan slumped against a tree with her jaw torn off that really emphasizes her nose.

Soulcleaver posted:

I love that you can go back and see that human-Annie instinctively covers the back of her neck when wrestling. Who knows how many other details there are that point towards future events unseen?

What I'm saying is that I can't wait for August's issue to come out because my balls are bluer than smurf poo poo. drat this is a great comic.
By any chance do you remember what chapter that was? I never noticed her doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Has Ymir been named in the Anime? I remember that they never gave her a name until right before she's outed as a titanshifter. For most of ny readthrough I assumed she was given a name at some point but I forgot it, so I just called her "the huge dyke."

It turned out I was correct on both points.

(Also I'm sorry I keel missing things but at what point in the episode do Reiner's wounds steam? I saw the half second flash of the Armored Titan (WHY DID YOU PUT THAT IN THERE? WHAT THE HELL, ANIMATORS?!), but not the steam.)

Also, I can't wait to see how pissed the anime thread gets about how much they stall the Eren V Annie brawl.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 4, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Oh noooooo the anime thread people are picking apart all the secrets like they were nothing :smith:

This better not actually be goaded on by manga-readers or I will be super pissed.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Perhaps a titan was approaching their location, Annie saw her chance to get some 3D gear to kill those titans they heard had just been caught, and knocked out ir otherwise subdued Marco, stole his gear, and left him to be eaten.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Here, have another height chart. While I'm not 100% positive that this is completely canonical, I'm pretty sure this is more accurate and reputable than the other one.

Levi is 5'3" jesus christ.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 5, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

If this is Europe, and they're Europeans, what ocean could it possibly be? Did they all come from North America?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Kild posted:

Reiner also said Annie had a nice rear end in Titan form.

That would have nothing to do with whether or not Reiner is attracted to women or women's asses. Annie's rear end is nice. This is an objective fact. You don't have to be attracted to somebody to compliment their features.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Wait what do you guys mean by "Idol?" Is there some context for this in terms of mangas?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

They should capture Bert and Reiner alive and torture them for information. Obviously only using methods that don't actually cause any wounds. I still don't get why they don't just put the priest guy on a rack until he talks.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

davidHalestorm posted:

Maybe it's an Ao Oni reference? Armin's Titan form, I mean
No, there's already been an Ao Oni titan. It was the one that Bigfoot Titan killed for disobeying orders.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Ugh, I forgot about that guy.
Is it just me or have the titans that have been showing up in this past arc been waaay more deformed and ugly than usual? And do you think that's just a stylistic choice on Isayama's part, or does it mean that that Monkey Trouble isn't very good at titanification?

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 10, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Sindai posted:

Sasha's VA's is by far the best.

So Sasha's VA is named Yū Kobayashi, eh?
Who's that other famous (to Westerners) Japanese person named Kobayashi again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeru_Kobayashi

Takeru Kobayashi, the competitive eater and former champion of the Nathan's hotdog eating contests :aaaaa:

Could it get any more fitting? It would be even more wild if they just happened to actually be related.

Also, relating to the latest anime episode, who were the people who bumrushed Annie? Are those Scouting Legion support personnel helping out, or did they just pay some random pedestrians to help them assault this one policewoman.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 16, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Yeah I was hoping somebody would make a gif of that guy as soon as I watched the episode. Perhaps he's a veteran, and that's why he can do parkour like that.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Abitha Denton posted:

That guy is way too alive to be a veteran in this series.

edit: or, uh, was way too alive. Now he fits right in.

I meant like, a veteran from before Maria fell where the military were just there to do maintenance on the wall and get drunk; they'd still teach you how to use 3DMG even if it was only useful for the Scouts.

And to go back a few pages, what is this about Annie having a mental breakdown? I never interpreted it as a mental breakdown, just a crazy psycho grin because she's getting pumped up to fight, and with the anime's addition of the weird blushing and laughter....I dunno, maybe she is sexually aroused by the sense of a jig being up? Maybe she plays Mafia but when she's the Mafia or Cop or Doctor or other special role she heavily hints her role so she can get caught?

And somebody also said that there was laughter even in the cut published version of the manga, just offscreen. Anybody who knows Japanese, what does it say in the bottom of the panel between Team Jaeger's reaction shots?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

I just realized that if the ending is the reveal of the Wall Titan, we're almost definitely not going to get to see Hanji get dead loving serious with Pastor Nick till the first episode of next season at whatever indeterminate but definitely long period of time is :( .

Can you imagine how awesome that's going to be? Hearing her amazing VA be all pissed and menacing, dangling a dude off a roof like Batman?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Could somebody remind me why she wasn't able to kill the thing with that axe? It was completely ignoring her, she had a completely clean shot of its neck!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

dis astranagant posted:

Probably because a random wood cutting axe isn't a pair of magic super sharp boxcutterswords that the whole neck chunk out in one stroke.

Wait, do they actually have to take a chunk out of the neck to kill them, or can't a single good, deep slash do the trick?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

HelloWinter posted:

That interview is pretty great.

Before now I haven't even considered if the actual artist author felt anything while making and drawing painful scenes in the manga. Now I just find it adorable to imagine him cuddling in his happi coat.

Aw now I want to be able to do Blade Runner style ENHANCEing to see what this painful scene is, or at least look at what characters are in his reference image :ohdear:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

DrSunshine posted:

They should open the basement only to find a teeny tiny little city surrounded by walls. They initially think it's a model, but upon close inspection, it's filled with tiny tiny little people barely even a millimeter tall. They are being beset by titans no larger than a centimeter tall. As they lean in in horror, one of the tiny people points up and says: "Up in the sky! Look there! Isn't that Eren and Mikasa, from the Recon Corps?!"

Oh god it would be like the Napoleon level in Psychonauts :cry:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

I really hope that when they eventually make the next season they redo the Wall Titan thing, and actually get everyone in the Survey Corp's "Oh gently caress" reactios, and Hanji interrogating Pastor Nick. They can't do it immediately after the fight with Annie, so it could still be moved up a few hours to that night or the next morning or whatever. The post-credits stinger this one had could just be a little teaser thing which doesn't actually reflect how it happened.

It could be kind of like the female robber's "I'LL KILL EVERY LAST FUKKEN ONE OF YA" in Pulp Fiction. We see it both in the first and last scenes, but each time the wordng is slightly different.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

What are we supposed to be looking at? Just that he was grabbing her leg too tightly? What is that a sign of? Just general craziness?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Professor Awesome posted:

Also when Hanji's spear-wielding lackeys are talking behind her back they mention her previous Titan test subjects were named Albert and Chikatilo, if the "infamous cannibal/serial killer" naming convention applied to them as well she presumably named them after Albert Fish and Andrei Chikatilo. Those two were only identified and apprehended in 1934 and 1990, respectively, which further suggests "future setting on Earth"

edit: wait, this may have only been in the anime :(

How come they didn't use Japan's resident cannibal, Issei Sagawa?

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 12, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

I'm almost certain I've asked this before, but do you think Mikasa and Armin also had their memories modified by Grisha in the 2 years between the invasion and enlisting? The fact that Eren says "you've been asking crazy ever since Mom died" implies that that wasn't the first time he saw his dad since the attack. And while I'm willing to believe Grisha could have found Eren in a refugee settlement and pulled him to a secluded area to inject him, then disappear in a crowd, I find it impossible for Eren to be able to have any sort of sustained contact with his dad without Mikasa and Armin knowing. Or at least Mikasa; Armin might not have been hanging out with the other two while his grandfather was still alive, since he could have been living with him.

I'd really like to see a flashback of their life as refugee kids, showing what that situation was like. I can only assume they were living in shantytowns of tents and maybe tiny shacks made of lovely wood and tin roofs?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Seriously Safe posted:

If titans used to be people, does that means the titans that look like babies were actually babies? :smith:

And what happened to all the women titans? Why are they only like, 5-10% of the total titan population?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

I dunno, I've definitely seen a few female (normal, non-shifter) titans. But they don't have any breasts so all you have to go by is the face.
For example, the one in the bottom-left panel of this page:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

3 unrelated questions:

Does anyone know whether Historia calling Mysterious Woman "sis" is just a term of endearment or if they're actually sisters?

Then, does anyone remember if early in the series someone mentioned that the Wall Cult is actually adhered to by a minority of the citizens? It's clearly really influential even without its importance to the secret conspiracy, what with it having that fancy cathedral in Sina that got smote by Annie's firm rear end. I'd just be interested to see some sort of offhand acknowledgement of some other faith, maybe a non-wallist priest or some generic mention of a god.

And third, are you all 100% positive that the hooded monster the girl was giving an apple to in the book was Ymir? We know that at some point Ymir was a Person/Titan of note and prestige, so it's certainly a possibility. It's something they deemed safe to expose to the political liability-posing bastard girl for mere reading practice fodder, so it's probably just some sort of folk tale based in part on something titan related, and possibly Ymir-related.

For narrative purposes it would make tons of tense for it to be Ymir though, since Historia was told to be like the woman giving the apple to Ymir, and Ymir definitely wants to take a bite out of Historia's apple if you catch my drift :cheeky:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Schubalts posted:

Yeah, it was a creeper being a creeper. He was saying "I've got an erection because of you. Take responsibility and get me off."

Okay, now the one thing I'm still unsure about is what Jean meant when he says "leave it to me?" Is he going to beat the poo poo out of him for being a creepy creeper? Is Jean just a homophobe and is going to gaybash the guy?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Gah its been so many months I don't even remember what super cold manipulative mastermind poo poo Armin did. Could someone remind me?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Unless the royal family actually has some sort of special hereditary trait or power, how would Historia taking the throne do anything? If the aristocrats don't like you, you don't have any legitimacy regardless of what your last name is. In fact, unless by virtue of some sort of magical "divine right", what would actually make a family "the real royals" if they are never actually in power sitting on the chair wearing the hat.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Okay so Levi could only have this Secret Police guy's surname because he taught him how to survive on the mean streets, fine. But even if that were so I'd have to conclude that that guy is the brother or is otherwise related to Mikasa's father. And as someone mentioned before, Mikasa's family being in any way related to the grand conspiracy would make it seem like that home invasion, murder and abduction had an ulterior motive beyond simple sex slave trafficking, even if the goons didn't know it.

On an unrelated note, I simply have to post this panel from the latest chapter.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

So, these Spoof on Titans are directly written by Isayama, or are otherwise officially endorsed?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Fister Roboto posted:

It'll be kind of weird saying that Mikasa is the only Asian character.

Maybe she'll be switched to be the last half-white person in the world.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Shirtless Levi. Prepare for a thousand girls splooshing.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dubbing JR voiceovers into some of the fights in the anime would be pretty easy and would likely be hilarious.

For the inside-the-flesh-cockpit shots Just edit some musculature lines around the eyes of Vince in that gif where he looks visibly aroused.

Also Chris Benoit ate his own family.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Saagonsa posted:

This is the girl

And this is the part I think he's referring to

For a while the thing which kept me confused, preventing me from being 100% sure the girl in panel 1 was indeed Mysterious Mind Control Woman was that they look so different, what with Panel 1 Girl having a wider face and less pronounced nose. I'll chalk it up to be just not thinking about it very hard, but only now do I realize the obvious explanation is that Mysterious Mind Control Woman's full face was not drawn till almost 5 years years after issue #1. Isayama just changed his idea on what she should look like in the intervening years, not to mention that at the beginning of the comic Isayama's art was frankly such dogshit I am astounded he got it published.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Astro Ambulance posted:

Zoe is their last name.

Isn't that just because in Japanese the family name goes first? Though I will acknowledge she'd be one of the only characters who actually goes by their last name.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Terper posted:

e: Oh yeah, almost forgot, good job killing a human being, Jean, I'm sure your mother is proud of you.

Meh, it's all for the cause of rescuing Eren and finishing the revolution. And you know what know what they say: Can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

I imagine she'll recover, but her swinging and fighting days are behind her for sure.

Edit:

Who is the guy on the far right of the top row? Looks like Boomhauer to me.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 8, 2014

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm gonna bet that Bedtime For Bonzo is the First Titan.

But why would Dr. Zaius be attacking the walls if he built them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

This "people not of the default ethnic group of pseudo-germany" thing gives further credence to my theory that the Ackerman's are Jewish. It's possible we might go the whole comic without anything specifically refuting it!

Wait, so is Levi actually a member of the Ackerman bloodline, or was he just an orphan raised by Kenny and took his name.