Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Pensive posted:

There has been a 3/4 year time skip. After the failed mission to capture the Coordinate where Marley lost two of their titans The Middle Eastern Coalition declared war on them. The last two chapters depicted the end of the final decisive battle of the war. Marley won the war but now the world knows that the Titans time is limited and their days as invincible weapons are over. Soon technology will render them obsolete.

The ability to turn into a titan would always be an amazing ability even if not used in open combat. The ability to just hulk out and destroy your enemies bases and cities with no warning is always going to be a great. It is basically the atomic bomb version of a suicide bomber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Don't we still not know who the Warhammer titan is? I thought they mentioned that they don't let people outside the family know.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

gently caress swords.We've got piledrivers now.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I bet he wants Historia or Armin to eat him when he’s done.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Meat...

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Just the fact that they have titans means that they command the attention of the other nations. They don't even need to use them in military battles. They are the perfect terrorist weapons. Having only the giant titan means they have an undetectable reusable weapon of mass destruction.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So what was making the Titan bodies for Ymir? Was she outside of time making her own bodies? And if so does that mean she was always predestined to have Titan powers and free will doesn’t exist in Titan world?

I like the idea that the Titan powers come from a weird parasite instead of some divine source, but now I’m wondering about how all the crazy metaphysics came to be. I know it’s really not important nor will it probably be answered, but I can’t stop wondering.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That fossil image looks nothing like those.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really like the gangly bits Titan Ymir has hanging out of her midsection. I can tell if they are messed up ribs or tentacles growing from her spine.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

If Merely's attacking force is destroyed then the problem is solved, and they can likely open up discussion with the rest of the world.

Can they? I'm not sure how the other nations of the world can allow a wild card in the political world to have sole possession of weapons of mass destruction that only take one person going mad to set off. Like if somehow North Korea ended up the only nation with nuclear weapons I'm sure the world would just want to sit down and be friends with them, and not be constantly looking for ways to sabotage everything they were doing.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Nah, the manga clearly shows that won't be enough. The people have Paradise have lived isolated from the rest of the world for hundreds of years, and during that time their society had plenty of exploitation and intolerance. Wiping out the rest of the world won't stop that.

Still a better option than having everyone you’ve ever know become a victim of racial genocide.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So I guess Eren accomplishes his goal in the end. Also that’s definitely Historia’s baby.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Come on dude who called out that the Attack Titan was there. How are you making that judgement when all you can see is a crazy bone monster.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

I hope whatever Eren's doing somehow ends the titan curse. No one is free with that sword hanging over the world.

Didn't he kind of do this. It seemed like Ymir doesn't have to make titan bodies anymore if she doesn't want to.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Super Rad posted:

Prediction: If everyone is getting their moment of redemption then Zeke's redemption will be to convince Ymir to, at least temporarily, resist Eren.

Zeke was the one forcing her to do things, Erin gave her a choice and seems to want to set her free from eternal servitude.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Beefstew posted:

But I'm still highly suspicious of Ymir, and think she might have her own greater game in mind.

That would be pretty weird. She’s an uneducated peasant who lived her life before and after death in crushing slavery, not really a lifestyle the creates a secret puppet master. She seems to just want to, understandably, rage against the world for the horrible life she’s lived.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Can Eren even lose now? If they manage to kill him I don’t remember there being any hint that that would stop the Rumbling. Mikasa talking him down is the only real thing they can hope for outside of some weird Zeke shenanigans.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah I haven't been under the impression that Eren really wants to do what he is doing, it's just that seeing the past and future and knowing that it will work and that so far that he hasn't been able to change anything has kind of locked him onto his path.

Attention being called to Mikasa not having here scarf this chapter makes me think that maybe in his vision of the future she had it so seeing her without it might cause him to change things.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 10, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Mulva posted:

There's literally no way for these people to win that isn't "Eren is just sad and lets them".

For real, outside of Mikasa and Levi are any of them even good enough to do anything? Turning into a titan seems like a hindrance, it just makes it easier for the giant titans to grab them. If they all just jump onto Eren from air he can just use the warhammer titan powers to get them pretty easily.

That not even getting into the fact that Ymir is helping him and nothing has shown that killing him should stop the Rumbling. Eren's dad killing the royal family didn't wake them up in the wall.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 7, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Eej posted:

Slamming the This Is God Emperor of Dune button every month this year and I see no signs of stopping

Are the giant titans his sandtrout skin in this?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Also in side note the idea that Eren used his time travel ability to make Ymir release the pigs is already being told.

Obviously you then flip in on them and say that Ymir has actually been controlling Eren all this time.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Titans might lose efficiency on the open battlefield, but they’d always be useful in a special operations role and the Colossal Titan is a reusable almost impossible to detect WMD. They’d always be a huge boon to whomever controlled them.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m pretty sure he’d love a Lelouch ending, but nothing he’s seen with his Titan magic makes him believe it is even remotely possible.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

I know it's a pipe dream but I hope Guren no Yumiya plays sometime during the final season. Playing it when the Scouts show up in Liberio would be rad. Alternatively, when the Alliance jumps out of the plane.

I always want longer anime to play the first opening again near the end for dramatic effect and they always let me down.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

On the other hand using it would be an incredible signifier of having just completely missed the point.

Look if in the final chapter the evil parasite aliens that created the titans descend from space and all the characters have to join together to fight them that song will fit extremely well. That has a 0% chance of happening, but you never know.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I assume he’s behind this particular group because he’s seen that for his desired future to happen that’s where he’s got to be.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Personally I’m holding out for the Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge ending

Everything from that old security guy saving Eren and Mikasa in the very beginning onward has been Eren’s dying hallucination.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Honestly what happened with the Eldians at the beginning of the chapter seems like the biggest potential warning sign to me of the ending getting dumb. If the boom sound effects where they and the Marleyans gunning each other down we’re getting an Eren wins ending. If the booms were that one Markeyan shooting into the air to calm people down we’re getting an Alliance wins and everyone becomes friends ending. We probably won’t see the resolution to that scene until the ending is obvious though.

Regrettably the way it was written to me makes it seem like the latter is more likely.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 8, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Beefstew posted:

Continuing the global genocide at this point is operating under the assumption that nobody will learn anything from all of this - which is, of course, a possibility, but it's also fundamentally lacking in imagination.

Part of what makes Eren's beliefs so compelling to watch play out versus the alliance is that he was there in Marley when ambassadors from all over the world cried tears of joy at the thought of wiping out every man, woman and child on Paradis Island. Once he has seen that and seen the entire history of his people's oppression I imagine it would be almost impossible to rationally sit down and think that maybe the rest of the world is worth saving.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Eren also got a baseball glove from someone when in the hospital, and Zeke's the big baseball fan in the cast. It's pretty suspicious on its own, especially since there's not much other reason in the narrative to give him a ball and glove.

There are nine titan shifters and nine people on the field per team in baseball. He’s obviously making plans for the greatest all-star team to ever exist. Zeke’s already a pitcher and imagine the colossal Titan playing center field.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 12, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I wonder what would have happened if the original Ymir hadn’t gotten eaten. Would one daughter have gotten all her powers or would they have still been split three ways? Did they even need to eat her to get her powers? Based on how things work I don’t think so.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It would be incredibly lame for that to be the end of Eren. They didn’t confront him or his ideology and prove that his way was wrong, they just fought a big monster. That can’t be the conclusion to this conflict.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I noticed that Falco titan has a normal human face with a bird helmet I don’t like it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

hatty posted:

Yeah I thought Falco had a Big Bird mouth instead of a man face.

He’s the Jaw Titan! He shouldn’t have a normal human face.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Eren is going to die and split up into a bunch of tiny titans.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Squidster posted:

I have a creeping suspicion Eren's scheme will somehow be the inverse of RBA's infiltration plan. Where RBA smashed the wall and assumed Eldian identities in the chaos, here Eren has smashed the governments of the world. With the Founder's power he could rewrite all of Paradis' memories so that they forget their history, and believe themselves to be refugees like anyone else.

I doubt he would do that because it is no different than killing them all in his eyes.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Beefstew posted:

Yeah, that's more accurate, but I think my central point stands. He refuses to accept a certain outcome, even if he logically (as logical as genocide can be, anyway...) knows that it would be a greater sin to do the Rumbling. That's the biggest reason why I'm skeptical of the Code Geass/God Emperor of Dune stuff, because it feels almost like a psychological compulsion at this point, his lust for freedom that's enslaved him.
What I'm saying is that my current read is him Rumbling from a more emotional perspective than a pragmatic/calculated one.

It is calculated though. He has seen the future and he knows that going through with the Rumbling will give him the outcome that he desires, even if it turns out he is defeated here. He looked at the options of maybe things might workout possibly and this will definitely 100% save Paradis island and picked the one that he knew would work.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’d have thought that Ymir would have been on Eren’s “I’m going to make sure things work out well for Historia no matter what” plan and not be part of the “he needs to be stopped” group. This seems like a weird change of character for her.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

She saved Reiner from a Titan that was on his back so I’m not sure what else she could have been doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Indeed. Eren successfully genociding the world wouldn't be an endorsement of his method, but a portrayal of the tragic consequence (in this story enabled by the supernatural elements introduced in its mythology) of the ever escalating cycles of hatred and violence. The world failed to reach an understanding and so a desperate man, product of that same violence, who found himself with the ability to take action decided to put an end to it all the only way he knew how.

Similarly, any positive outcomes that might result in the aftermath of this aren't endorsement either, but simply a consequence of Eren being a nuanced character with reasonable and believable motivations rather than some cartoonishly evil Captain Planet-style villain.

If Eren loses and we get a positive end to the international politics problem the story is going to have to try real hard to not have the message that “total genocides are bad, targeted genocides are good.” Eren, the supposed bad guy, wiping out 90% of Marleyans and making the world a better place has some real strong “Actually the truth was in the middle” energy.